PDA

View Full Version : DeWitt County/Cuero Oil Boom...

44INAROW
02-10-2011, 10:03 AM
Well, little Cuero, Texas made the Wall Street Journal...... mercy.........
CLICK HERE (http://online.wsj.com/article_email/SB10001424052748704858404576134553990567750-lMyQjAxMTAxMDAwOTEwNDkyWj.html)
Eagle Ford Shale.......... Cuero more directly mentioned towards the middle of the article..... Lots of "oilfield" guys here for last 6-8 months and expected to continue for several years......

Blastoderm55
02-10-2011, 10:36 AM
Booming here as well. Its just unfortunate that most of the employers are bringing in outside workers instead of hiring from Beeville and the surrounding area. We lost Lack's last month, and now Blockbuster is having their store closing sale as well. I know its all part of the ebb and flow, but just hope some of those resources end up staying local.

44INAROW
02-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Booming here as well. Its just unfortunate that most of the employers are bringing in outside workers instead of hiring from Beeville and the surrounding area. We lost Lack's last month, and now Blockbuster is having their store closing sale as well. I know its all part of the ebb and flow, but just hope some of those resources end up staying local.
I hear you - it will be interesting in April - the DeWitt Medical Foundation is having their bi-annual Gala and I am hoping some of the oil company "big wigs" attend and buy/bid on some items.... We went to the Habitat for Humanity benefit dinner/auction Tues night and there were some oilfield guys (suppliers not oil company men) and they were very generous.. the motel/hotels in town are booked solid and several previously vacant buildings have been renevated for office space.

Old Dog
02-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Lease hounds are working the Columbus area too. Kin folk down there are to sign papers soon for more exploration.

Blue42
02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Lack’s was due to the banking system not due to low profit, and Blockbuster was phased out everywhere due to technology .Cuero already has a new TSC for the land owners to spend their new wealth so I would look for good things to slowly work its way into your town.

Blastoderm55
02-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Blue42
Lack’s was due to the banking system not due to low profit, and Blockbuster was phased out everywhere due to technology .Cuero already has a new TSC for the land owners to spend their new wealth so I would look for good things to slowly work its way into your town.

Lack's can't blame the bankinig system for refusing to lend against receivables any longer. If customers do not pay their accounts, those receivables are worthless. As for Blockbuster, they dug their grave when they ignored the threat of Netflix.

Blue42
02-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Lack's can't blame the bankinig system for refusing to lend against receivables any longer. If customers do not pay their accounts, those receivables are worthless. As for Blockbuster, they dug their grave when they ignored the threat of Netflix.
I personally know the Lack’s and won’t get in to that. What do you think Netflix is progressed technology and if they do not evolve they will be phased out also.

DDBooger
02-10-2011, 12:09 PM
I personally know the Lack’s and won’t get in to that. What do you think Netflix is progressed technology and if they do not evolve they will be phased out also. Netflix is progressing, they're phasing out DvD rentals and streaming more titles.

Blastoderm55
02-10-2011, 12:26 PM
What's hurting Netflix is not getting new titles the day they're released in stores for rental and purchase, and on-demand. With Blockbuster losing its leverage power, Netflix may be able to use some of their cost savings in shuttering their mail business to sway the studios to make online downloads available the day of release. The fact that their product can be accessed through a Blu-Ray player, video game system, or simply online means Netflix won't be going away for quite a while.

Blastoderm55
02-10-2011, 12:28 PM
I personally know the Lack’s and won’t get in to that.

No problem. I have no beef with Lacks. Shoot, they started in Beeville and their downtown location was one of the few flagship stores that brought patrons to that side of town. Now its just another huge, empty building.

Blue42
02-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Maybe Petrohalk will rent the old Lack’s building and If I were you I would invest in some short term housing ,travel trailer park, rent houses ect.if it is anything like Cuero it will pay out. I own rent houses in Cuero and I am looking for more.

hookandladder
02-10-2011, 02:07 PM
Oil boom is in Fayette county as well, leased my land now waiting for an oil well to be drilled.

warpath
02-10-2011, 02:16 PM
gonzales county is starting to reap a little of the boom too

Blastoderm55
02-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Maybe Petrohalk will rent the old Lack’s building and If I were you I would invest in some short term housing ,travel trailer park, rent houses ect.if it is anything like Cuero it will pay out. I own rent houses in Cuero and I am looking for more.

Actually have a really nice storage buildilng by General Shelters that I thought about finishing to rent out. Just unsure of how the septic would work, if it all.

In all likelihood, it'll become the mother-in-law's quarters. :devil:

Blue42
02-10-2011, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by warpath
gonzales county is starting to reap a little of the boom too
Wow I noticed the other day when I went through Gonzo that the rodeo arena was full of travel trailers and I was told that it was all oil field people.

NastySlot
02-10-2011, 05:06 PM
it s my understanding there may be a little boom in the south texas area around carrizo and crystal city...........might be more natural gas I think.

hollywood
02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Carrizo S, Crystal C??? That's where I spent the first 6 years of my life. Glad to be out of that place but wish grandfather would have kept his ranch.

DDBooger
02-10-2011, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
it s my understanding there may be a little boom in the south texas area around carrizo and crystal city...........might be more natural gas I think. Have a bunch of buddies who do land man work and that's what they've told me too.

rojosgirl
02-11-2011, 12:12 PM
Good for all of you reaping some of the benefits of the "oil boom". I have not and will not be receiving any benefits. I spend a portion of my day traveling on Hwy. 87 with these guys and their driving skills are terrible! They're bigger than you, so they just pull right out in from of you - it's either stop or run into them. Selfish and dangerous I say. They blare through little towns like Westhoff and Smiley with no regard for anything or anyone. I don't think I can take another 2-3 years of driving on the road with these maniacs! Can you say SPEED LIMIT?

:foul:

44INAROW
02-11-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl
Good for all of you reaping some of the benefits of the "oil boom". I have not and will not be receiving any benefits. I spend a portion of my day traveling on Hwy. 87 with these guys and their driving skills are terrible! They're bigger than you, so they just pull right out in from of you - it's either stop or run into them. Selfish and dangerous I say. They blare through little towns like Westhoff and Smiley with no regard for anything or anyone. I don't think I can take another 2-3 years of driving on the road with these maniacs! Can you say SPEED LIMIT?

:foul:

I hear you - you ought to see their PARKING SKILLS :hand: :doh:

bluecat
02-11-2011, 12:52 PM
My brother just leased out his land in Dewitt co. last month and the lease prices are really good for this new oil boom. The ranch that I hunt on in Cotulla is just drilling the third well and all of the wells are great producers of oil and gas. Lots of instant millionaires coming out of south texas and sadly I"m not one of them.:mad:

navscanmaster
02-11-2011, 07:27 PM
I will probably be down there fracing soon. I have been on a Haynesville crew for Schlumberger in Shreveport since last summer, and they are saying as soon as the brand new 100 million dollar yard opens up in San Antonio, we will have a lot of opportunities to transfer and promote down there. I am looking forward to returning to Texas, but Shreveport really ain't that bad. We have found a good church home and like the neighborhood and private schools in the area. San Antonio would be a nightmare to live around, IMO.

Aesculus gilmus
02-12-2011, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by navscanmaster
Shreveport really ain't that bad. We have found a good church home and like the neighborhood and private schools in the area. San Antonio would be a nightmare to live around, IMO.

I think you've got the right idea there. When I was growing up, there was no cable TV. We got four stations over the air, three from Shreveport. It is from their newscasts that I learned I lived in the "Arklatex." :D

Shreveport was always included as a part of "East Texas" in a map published by the East Texas Chamber of Commerce. Of course, so were Dallas and Houston. The ET Chamber just wanted what was next to them.

A group of my co-workers went over to Shreveport the other night to see Kid Rock. Had a blast, they told me.

navscanmaster
02-12-2011, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Aesculus gilmus
I think you've got the right idea there. When I was growing up, there was no cable TV. We got four stations over the air, three from Shreveport. It is from their newscasts that I learned I lived in the "Arklatex." :D

Shreveport was always included as a part of "East Texas" in a map published by the East Texas Chamber of Commerce. Of course, so were Dallas and Houston. The ET Chamber just wanted what was next to them.

A group of my co-workers went over to Shreveport the other night to see Kid Rock. Had a blast, they told me.

Yup. Just as many TX license plates running around as LA ones. Other than the roads and the gawd awful purple and gold presence everywhere, just like living in Texas.

1st and goal
02-12-2011, 01:15 PM
I remember the old bumper stickers that stated:
"God, please grant us another Oil boom.
We promise not to waste it."

I wish there was a way to make their big trucks pay directly to fix all the county roads they tear up. Local permits are a joke.

navscanmaster
02-12-2011, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by 1st and goal
I remember the old bumper stickers that stated:
"God, please grant us another Oil boom.
We promise not to waste it."

I wish there was a way to make their big trucks pay directly to fix all the county roads they tear up. Local permits are a joke.

Our yard has to pay $50 per pump/blender/hydration unit (basically anything considered overweight) for a three day permit here in LA. Plus, some of the well operators pay for upgrades to a lot of the *cough* parish *cough* roads they use to get to their leases. I realize that is not the case everywhere, but I think it takes strong county and state leadership to make the companies cover for the use and damage moving heavy equipment brings.
As far as speed limits, our equipment doesn't break 60, and we get in trouble if our monitors detect speeding violations, aggressive driving events (hard brakes, fast sharp turns, hard accel, etc.), or driving past our legal time limits.

1st and goal
02-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Don't get me wrong. I'm all for drilling here, reducing foreign dependence. I know the permit system is a joke. I often see the fracking caravans during my commute on Hwy 77, 21, 290. It's just that $50 won't pay to patch 1 chughole.

Otherwise,
DRILL BABY, DRILL!!! Drilling = Jobs

Please help get the current administration to remove the Gulf of Texas drilling stoppage too.