PDA

View Full Version : This week in West Texas

vet93
10-21-2002, 05:45 PM
Most of these games are west texas, but some are in the panhandle or north of the Big Country. There are some good games brewing. First is Graham and Vernon. Graham is the obvious choice so far this year but Vernon has played real well at times. It is their inconsistency that bothers me. The Merkel and Denver City game could very well settle who goes out as the #2 small school team. Both teams have played very well at times this year. It should be a good game to watch. Both Wylie and Comanche are undefeated in district so far. Comanche has played the two weakest teams in the district in their first two games. They have not played anyone with the talent or depth of Wylie this year. This game should give us a better guage of how good comanche is and if they are going to be able to contend with Clyde for a playoff spot. In the Panhandle Borger/Perryton is a big game. It was expected to be the district championship game at the beginning of the year but Borger's misfortune of late has taken some of the luster off of the game. They were upset by Canyon last week. Finally, Monahans/Pecos will help determine a playoff spot in 4-3a. I believe the loser will be eliminated from the playoff race (WestTX Coach may be able to clear that up for us a little bit). Picks are as follows (8 out of 9 last week):

Greenwood over Ft. Stockton
Graham over Vernon (If Vernon shows up this one could be close)
Wylie over Comanche (too much talent for the Indians)
Sweetwater over Lamesa (another loss in a dissapointing year for the Tors)
Ballinger over Early
Merkel over Denver City (this ought to be a good game)
Clyde over Brady (Brady's offensive woes continue)
Monahans over Pecos (This game is a toss up, my gut tells me Monahans)
Perryton over Borger (Borger should still make the playoffs due to the weakness off the rest of their district games)

Ranger Mom
10-21-2002, 07:42 PM
I respect your view, so I am gonna ask you this question. If everything goes like you predict throughout the rest of the season, who would Greenwood play in the first round of the play-offs?? Don't say Sweetwater, please don't say Sweetwater!! I DO NOT want to meet them again that early!! Thanks

wildstangs
10-21-2002, 08:25 PM
Greenwood over Ft. Stockton
Graham over Vernon
Wylie over Comanche
Sweetwater over Lamesa
Ballinger over Early
Merkel over Denver City
Clyde over Brady
Monahans over Pecos
Perryton over Borger

Rangermom, if Merkel beats us, and we end up 3-2, we will see ya in the first round!

Ranger Mom
10-22-2002, 08:59 AM
YIKES!!!!

GO SWEETWATER!!!!!!!!

vet93
10-22-2002, 09:07 AM
RangerMom since the end of last year I have had a feeling that Merkel was going to make the playoffs this year. When they were thrown into the district with Snyder, Lamesa, and Sweetwater I started to second guess myself. I regret not going with my gut instinct. I think that Merkel will beat Denver City this week. It will probably be a good game. Unless Sweetwater has alot of turnovers or Carrillo gets hurt I expect Sweetwater to beat Merkel. This would make Merkel the #2 small school and your first round game. We played Merkel the third game of the season and they didn't play very well. It was the first game back for our running back that was injured against you guys and his first play was a 66 yard touchdown run. I think that it kind of rattled them a little bit. We were up 27 to 3 at half time and it could have been a little worse. They came out in the second half and really played much better on defense and got a couple of scores to make it 27 to 17. Merkel is probably two touchdowns better than anyone you have played in district. They have a solid defense for the most part, a decent passing attack and Drew Caraway is a pretty elusive and quick running back that has good hands out of the backfield. If the Rangers take care of business you should move on to the next round pretty easily. However, Merkel has the people that can make you pay if you aren't on your game or if you have alot of turnovers. Having given you much more information than you could ever want on Merkel I have now jinxed myself. Something crazy will probably happen and you guys will end up playing Denver City or Sweetwater or Sprayberry or Eunice or??? wink

Wtx_coach
10-22-2002, 04:52 PM
Hey VET, yes the loser of this game is out of the playoffs for sure, Monahans has to beat Pecos then Kermit to get in, and Pecos has to beat Monahans and Ft.Stockton and depend on monahans and ft.stockton to beat kermit wich is a good possibility, but right now this district is favoring GREENWOOD , FT.Stockton and KERMIT

wildstangs
10-22-2002, 05:49 PM
I expect Sweetwater to beat Merkel. Look for Merkel to still make the playoffs as the third place team for the first time in a LONG time (Cant remember when the last time was) It will be short for the Badgers though, as they meet Greenwood in the first round. Unless Carraway really leads the team, I think Greenwood will beat them.