PDA

View Full Version : East Texas Church Fires

Txbroadcaster
02-09-2011, 10:12 AM
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20110209-east-texas-church-arsonists-get-another-life-term.ece

Should they have gotten life in prison?

crzyjournalist03
02-09-2011, 10:16 AM
I dunno. I've been to many churches where they've asked for the Holy Ghost to set the church on fire. Maybe these guys were just trying to do the Lord's work.

Maroon87
02-09-2011, 05:31 PM
Being from East Texas, I'm surprised these guys weren't fast enough to avoid capture.:thinking:

95mustang
02-09-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87
Being from East Texas, I'm surprised these guys weren't fast enough to avoid capture.:thinking:

Well played. :clap:

Txbroadcaster
02-09-2011, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Maroon87

only EAST TEXAS Cops can catch em :D

Ernest T Bass
02-09-2011, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/state/headlines/20110209-east-texas-church-arsonists-get-another-life-term.ece

Should they have gotten life in prison?

Didn't think you could get life for arson.

PPHSfan
02-10-2011, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Didn't think you could get life for arson.

Depends on what you burn. If you burn a witch for instance.......

Ernest T Bass
02-10-2011, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Depends on what you burn. If you burn a witch for instance.......

Would that be arson, or assault?
But, in some parts of the world(Celina, maybe?), it's praise- worthy.

PPHSfan
02-10-2011, 12:24 AM
How do you know she's a witch?

Ernest T Bass
02-10-2011, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
How do you know she's a witch?

I don't know. Tell me.

crzyjournalist03
02-10-2011, 09:03 AM
I don't know. Tell me.

If nothing happens when you set her on fire, she's a witch.

If she burns to death, she wasn't a witch.

Farmersfan
02-10-2011, 09:16 AM
How do you serve multiple LIFE sentences? That statement alone tells a ton about the nonsense that is our justice system.

Do you think that means these guys will die of old age, be reincarnated, and then put right back in prison?

Ernest T Bass
02-10-2011, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
How do you serve multiple LIFE sentences? That statement alone tells a ton about the nonsense that is our justice system.

Do you think that means these guys will die of old age, be reincarnated, and then put right back in prison?

It's symbolic for the parole board. If you have multiple charges, you can only get one sentence for each. But in Texas, 40 years is the maximum you can serve before eligible for parole. But, if you're serving 6 life sentences, the parole board should get the message that you don't need to be cut loose.

waterboy
02-10-2011, 09:31 AM
All the life sentences run concurrent, meaning you're serving the same amount of time on each count at the same time. I don't like that either. Life does seem a little harsh, though. The only thing I can figure is the defendants didn't show any remorse for their actions, thus getting life for their crimes.

Farmersfan
02-10-2011, 10:12 AM
It's symbolic for the parole board. If you have multiple charges, you can only get one sentence for each. But in Texas, 40 years is the maximum you can serve before eligible for parole. But, if you're serving 6 life sentences, the parole board should get the message that you don't need to be cut loose.

Wouldn't a Life sentence with the opportunity for parole be a oxymoron? If not a oxymoron then certainly a paradox! right?

Ernest T Bass
02-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Wouldn't a Life sentence with the opportunity for parole be a oxymoron? If not a oxymoron then certainly a paradox! right?

It's all symbolic. It's a message to the parole board. No such thing as a true life sentence, other than the death penality.