PDA

View Full Version : Mavs "fire" Bob Ortegel

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2011, 07:11 PM
Very odd this happened right in the middle of the season...they offered to move him back to radio color, but something tells me they knew the answer to that when they offered

IrishTex
02-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Very odd this happened right in the middle of the season...they offered to move him back to radio color, but something tells me they knew the answer to that when they offered

I'm surprised as well. I thought he was a good addition to the organization. Something tells me there must be something more to this...I wonder if contract talks were the reason?

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by IrishTex
I'm surprised as well. I thought he was a good addition to the organization. Something tells me there must be something more to this...I wonder if contract talks were the reason?

if it was contract then u just let him go at the end of year...Lewin and the Rangers knew as early as July he would probably not be back, but he finished the season.

eagles_victory
02-08-2011, 07:58 PM
if it was contract then u just let him go at the end of year...Lewin and the Rangers knew as early as July he would probably not be back, but he finished the season. Still hacked off about that... Lewin is so good at what he did he should of had "The Decision" to announce where he wanted to broadcast next year and the metroplex should of burned his microphone if he went somewhere else.

DavidWooderson
02-08-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm hacked about Josh too. At first I didn't like him, but he really grew on me and made the broadcasts. As for Bob......his time to leave was about 3 years ago. All of his references are Pre-1990.

Txbroadcaster
02-08-2011, 08:55 PM
I liked Josh to..BUT I dont blame Texas wanting a FULL TIME guy and not one who was off to do football come NFL...plus I think Josh works best with bad teams who are not contending where he then can drop his pop culture stuff in and the game can at times become 2nd to entertainment

Emerson1
02-08-2011, 11:45 PM
Been wondering where he was at. I wonder what the full story is. Bob wasn't the best, but I'm not a fan of mid-season change.

Farmersfan
02-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Cuban is probably tired of hearing Ortegel say "He can do that" after a player does something in a game! As if the millions of people who just say the guy do it didn't realize that he COULD do it????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ortegel should have been let go a dozen years ago!

Txbroadcaster
02-10-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Cuban is probably tired of hearing Ortegel say "He can do that" after a player does something in a game! As if the millions of people who just say the guy do it didn't realize that he COULD do it????? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ortegel should have been let go a dozen years ago!

dont disagree, but he still should have been given till end of the year IMO

Farmersfan
02-10-2011, 04:42 PM
dont disagree, but he still should have been given till end of the year IMO

Why?

Txbroadcaster
02-10-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Why?

dude has been with the club along time, let him finish the season then make the change..now they are throwing in TWO diff guys midseason just IMO not handled well. Ortegel IMO had grown stale, but he was not so bad that I thought man they have to get him off the air NOW.

Farmersfan
02-11-2011, 10:54 AM
dude has been with the club along time, let him finish the season then make the change..now they are throwing in TWO diff guys midseason just IMO not handled well. Ortegel IMO had grown stale, but he was not so bad that I thought man they have to get him off the air NOW.

Loyalty to Bob? I can't disagree with that. But I'm pretty sure if Bob had a contract he was paid for the rest of the season. My opinion is that the Mavs showed Bob Ortegel so much loyalty that they looked silly themselves. He should have been gone years ago. But truthfully the bottom line was probably money. As long as they felt Bob brought in viewers they kept him around. Obviously something happened to change their view on that or else something happened that they felt outwieght the viewers he brought in. Either way they made the right choice! Perhaps it wouldn't have hurt a thing to wait until the end of the season. All I know is that I usually watch the games with the mute button on because of the guy.

Emerson1
02-11-2011, 11:55 AM
I didn't know so many people hated him. I always thought he was your typical homer broadcaster. I'm sure there are much worse in the NBA.

eagles_victory
02-12-2011, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I didn't know so many people hated him. I always thought he was your typical homer broadcaster. I'm sure there are much worse in the NBA. Cleveland Cavaliers