PDA

View Full Version : Angelo State University

Cam
02-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Just got back from an orientation day on Saturday for my son at ASU. We came away totally impressed with everything & everyone involved at ASU. As a parent, I feel real good about my boy going there. Anyone out there have any thoughts about ASU or kids that went there? Worst part of the trip was when we got back Saturday night. Pipes in my workshop were busted and water was everywhere.....

Red&White_9x5
02-07-2011, 11:57 AM
I went there many years agao, and I still brag about my time there. I greatly enjoyed it, made some great friends, and got out of there in a normal amount of time with a degree. Angelo isn't that far from Burnet which should make you happy as a parent. Best of luck to your son, a soon to be Ram!!!

BILLYFRED0000
02-07-2011, 12:00 PM
Nice school great people. I grew up in Bronte and a lot of my friends went to school there and still live there. Been there on many an occasion and still enjoy it. Great little school and town. Would not mind movin back there if there was a job like what I do now.

WestTxschwab
02-07-2011, 12:06 PM
Overall it is a pretty good school. The campus is pretty nice and the town has lots to do. I have had alot of friends go to school there and all have said it was a great place to learn. Because of its low 19:1 student-faculty ratio and individualized instruction, ASU attracts many first-generation students, who benefit from special programs and scholarships.(linked) It is a Tier 2 school in texas.
In the link below you can find out alot about ASU.

I read the other day that Midland College had an enrollment of 7,425 students for the spring semester and the article I linked says ASU has an undergrad enrollment of 5,860. That's crazy.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/san-angelo-tx/angelo-state-university-3541

I also believe ASU is ranked higher in the Princeton Review of Best Colleges in 2010 then it's mother school Texas Tech.

Either way,education is education. Going to college anywhere is an accomplishment in itself.

sandmaster
02-07-2011, 01:26 PM
I currently go to ASU and I love the school. Not a big fan of Angelo but you couldn't ask for a better school. What is your son looking to study at ASU? The science departments are some of the best in the state if not the best. I'm in the Athletic Training program and it is the best in the state I feel even better than Texas State's or The University of Texas because of the ratio of students to Athletic Training professors and ATC in the Athletic Training room. At the bigger schools you are used as a labor force and don't really get the experience you need when you graduate from college to become a succesful ATC. Again I think it is a great school and everyone out here is super nice and helpfully with anything you may need.

Black_Magic
02-07-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Cam
Just got back from an orientation day on Saturday for my son at ASU. We came away totally impressed with everything & everyone involved at ASU. As a parent, I feel real good about my boy going there. Anyone out there have any thoughts about ASU or kids that went there? Worst part of the trip was when we got back Saturday night. Pipes in my workshop were busted and water was everywhere..... Its the Cultural Center Of the Universe.... I went there. You most go my child.

Cam
02-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by sandmaster
I currently go to ASU and I love the school. Not a big fan of Angelo but you couldn't ask for a better school. What is your son looking to study at ASU? The science departments are some of the best in the state if not the best. I'm in the Athletic Training program and it is the best in the state I feel even better than Texas State's or The University of Texas because of the ratio of students to Athletic Training professors and ATC in the Athletic Training room. At the bigger schools you are used as a labor force and don't really get the experience you need when you graduate from college to become a succesful ATC. Again I think it is a great school and everyone out here is super nice and helpfully with anything you may need.

He will pursue a doctorate in Physical Therapy. Thanks for the input!

Tres Lobos
02-07-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm attending ASU right now and I love it. I think its deffinately one of the top schools in the state education wise. Also with the new dorms getting put in and a brand new Rec center it should be even better in the next couple of years

Daddy D 11
02-07-2011, 08:25 PM
definitely*

sandmaster
02-07-2011, 09:12 PM
Since he is going for PT one of the best ways to prepare for the PT program is to go through the AT program because you will then know most of the rehab protocols that are used in PT and plus you will be a LAT ATC in 4 years then be able to become a doctor of PT in 2 years or a little more. I know he may not be wanting to go that direction but it is very good way to be able to get into the PT program because they know how hard the AT program is and by the time you graduate with the AT degree you have already passed two Board exams. If you have any more questions just pm me and i will be more than happy to answer any other questions you may have.

AngeloState39
02-07-2011, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
definitely* he's working on it D. that monahans education really screwed him up.

NastySlot
02-08-2011, 07:36 AM
i have many former students of mine attend and I have also worked with numerous ASU alum...............and I promise you not one has ever said one bad thing about Angelo or ASU...........Good Luck to him.

jason
02-08-2011, 08:42 AM
tarleton state > angelo state

:D

Matthew328
02-08-2011, 01:21 PM
San Angelo seems like a nice town

Big Papa
02-08-2011, 04:43 PM
new rec department for one of the best recs in the country is finihsing soon! they are also home to reigning national champions!!

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2011/jan/10/asu-intramural-team-wins-national-championship/?print=1