PDA

View Full Version : Michael "The Moose" Gauthier-fastest 3A running back next year?

Old Cardinal
05-02-2003, 02:43 PM
I see that Bridge City's Junior fullback, to be, placed third in the State Championship, qualifying speed, 100 m dash.... Ruben Cantu, the QB for the Falfurias Jerseys won it with a 10.77. All I have heard is the great speed of D'Morris Smith out of Mexia, who finished second 10.82. In third place a Junior running back from Bridge City; Gauthier finished with a 10.84, that only .02 less that the Blackcats speedster, Smith...Gauthier, is a power lifter of some renoun, having won a host of trophies-it's seldom you see those two sports exhibited and exceled in, by the same young man. Bridge City's backfield will also have "Big Jon" Landry, who is as fast or faster than Gauthier; he will be a Junior this season. These two helped anchor the defense last season....How did Gauthier get his nickname, you asked? Well a big ole defensive linebacker, on an opposing team, took a little fake and Michael just ran right over him! His Coach ask him what happened, as he tried to clear his head from having his bell rung, he said "Coach, I think I got run over by a Moose?" Bridge City will not be a contender in all probability next season, but they will not lay down a play dead either!....Tell us about the speedster runnning backs for your team that you follow?

<small>[ May 02, 2003, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

texcaj
05-02-2003, 03:43 PM
The rb for the team I follow isn't what you would call a true speedster, only a 4.5 40yd. Of course, that was back in the fall. Who knows what he'll run this time after a grueling offseason. The only thing he did was rush for over 1400 yards last year as a sophomore. He is a bruiser that is deceptively quick. He went to regionals in powerlifting this past year also. I think his main attribute is that he doesn't get tired. He runs just as hard after his 30th carry as he does his 1st. It will be fun to watch him this season.

fatcat255
05-02-2003, 04:11 PM
They haven't even run the State track meet yet. What you saw are the times each of these qualifying athletes ran in their respective Regional meets.

The time is good though.

What really matters is how fast he runs in pads, after breaking through the line of scrimmage.

Old Cardinal
05-02-2003, 04:58 PM
That is right Fatcat, that was the qualifying times. I was just starting conversation of fast youth in football pads, this fall....Would you care to share the young mans name and school that gained the 1400 yards?

<small>[ May 02, 2003, 05:08 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Jimbotex40
05-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Speed does not matter. Forney's Baylen Laury will rack up as many yards as our old Dabryan Blanton, and he is not near as fast as him.

Jimbotex40
05-02-2003, 11:46 PM
Wait, I might to say that it is not important for a RB. For WR's, however, that is a different story. What matters for RB's is quickness, which often gets confused for with speed by youngsters such as Old Card...heh heh.

big daddy russ
05-03-2003, 02:51 AM
A 4.5 is very fast no matter who you are. I had a high school buddy who was an all-conference running back in college. He ran a 4.56... he was FAST. A 4.5 is faster than most people seem to realize. If you run a sub-4.5 I'll see you at the state track meet.

Old Cardinal
05-03-2003, 07:53 AM
I agree 4.5 is College fast. I see every late summer the touts of teams having 4.2's & 4.3's, and just sit back and laugh. Jumbo, I think you just told us all a lot about yourself, when you proclaimed "Speed does not matter." Most of us think speed does matter on any backfield position or split out.

big daddy russ
05-03-2003, 11:55 AM
You know, Old Card, you both are actually right. While overall top speed is very important, quickness has a whole lot to do with how well someone performs. Terrell Davis only ran a 4.6-4.7, but he was very quick and hit the holes hard. One thing that a lot of colleges are wanting to go to now is clocking players' 10-yard dash times. Of course, because of how brief the run is they have to use an electronic timing system to be accurate. But still, if you're in a system where you run a lot of sweeps or if you're a receiver, top speed does matter.

texcaj
05-05-2003, 10:23 AM
I didn't say 4.5 wasn't fast. It's faster than I ever ran in high school. I said he wasn't a speedster. We had a back that ran a legit 4.42 in high school and 4.37 in college. He was a speedster. Of course he didn't play rb in college either, was moved to safety. Our back is quick and strong. While doing the stats for him this year, I think he only had maybe 5 carries that weren't for positive yardage, and I don't count getting back to the line as being positive. I like the idea of testing their first ten yards, after all fb is played ten yards at a time.

Old Cardinal
05-05-2003, 11:09 AM
I don't know anything about timing 10 yards, but there was an extensive study that said-when photographed at 20 yards of the 100m; the led runner won in over 85% of the races. I think we are talking about the same person as "quick", who also wins the 100m runs...I also don't worry if the players is a prime weightlifter in the Squats, that he will be able to drive forward with the ball- that's kind of a given.

southern_thunder
05-05-2003, 11:28 AM
Hey Old Card, how fast was Peebles? And what kind of yardage did he have against Newton or Jasper? Not trying to stir anything up, just pointing out that timed speed doesnt necessarily lead to becoming a good running back. Dont get me wrong Peebles was a great back he just had trouble with teams that also had speed. And on the other hand McQeen from Jasper only had average speed never breaking the 4.8 mark in the 40, but he could still manage to make big yardage against teams with good speed. I guess the point to this post is that while yes speed is important it is what you do while the ball is in your hands that counts.

vet93
05-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Not to take anything away from either back but I have to point out (especially since I was an old offensive lineman) that a backs success is often predicated on his offensive line. All too often a back gets all of the credit when things are going well and the line gets all of the blame when things are not going well. With the line that Jasper had last year, there are quite a few backs who could rack up some yardage. If you control the line fo scrimmage, you are going to get some big yards for your back. This is why it is so difficult to compare backs from different teams or to pick out one game and try to rate a backs abilities.

southern_thunder:
Hey Old Card, how fast was Peebles? And what kind of yardage did he have against Newton or Jasper? Not trying to stir anything up, just pointing out that timed speed doesnt necessarily lead to becoming a good running back. Dont get me wrong Peebles was a great back he just had trouble with teams that also had speed. And on the other hand McQeen from Jasper only had average speed never breaking the 4.8 mark in the 40, but he could still manage to make big yardage against teams with good speed. I guess the point to this post is that while yes speed is important it is what you do while the ball is in your hands that counts.

southern_thunder
05-05-2003, 01:07 PM
No doubt VET and on top of the out standing line that Jasper had they had excellent downfield blocking by the recievers and there was 4 of them.

<small>[ May 05, 2003, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: southern_thunder ]</small>

Old Cardinal
05-05-2003, 03:31 PM
S.Thun.: Peebles was running behind one of the smallest offensive lines in 3A. He did not get a lot against Jasper and Newton, but his team won 11 games and he was a high ranked rusher and has received a fine College scholarship. Remember, Newton and Jasper were both ranked #1 in some of the polls, at the time that they played BC. BC would have won Region III Div.I, again this year had Jasper not dropped down with two dozen Seniors, from 4A. Newton, is always extra tough at the first of the season; but just can't advance in the playoffs because of low enrollment and a few hurt people. Newton will remain tough at the first half of the seaso, and Jasper should be able to dominate because of their huge enrollment pick base. If Jasper, could not win it all last year, I fear that they want be coming close to winning it all for several seasons to come-even with their huge enrollment.

big daddy russ
05-05-2003, 03:31 PM
vet93:
Not to take anything away from either back but I have to point out (especially since I was an old offensive lineman) that a backs success is often predicated on his offensive line. All too often a back gets all of the credit when things are going well and the line gets all of the blame when things are not going well. With the line that Jasper had last year, there are quite a few backs who could rack up some yardage. If you control the line fo scrimmage, you are going to get some big yards for your back. This is why it is so difficult to compare backs from different teams or to pick out one game and try to rate a backs abilities.Amen! We (Ingleside) have a back this year who's about 5-11, 210 and runs a 4.5... he's the fastest kid in the school... and also might be the strongest. But if he gets the same subpar blocking the line gave the team last year he'll be lucky to do anything.

southern_thunder
05-05-2003, 09:33 PM
old card dont get so defensive, why cant you have a coverstaion without thinking everyone is out to get you. I gave Peebles the respect he deserved, and you just gave him excuses for not doing good in 2 games. You know there is a saying, Great players make big plays in big games. And the Jasper enrollment excuse is getting really old. Jasper is a big 3a school (and they will not apoligise for it) just like Bridge City was when they first dropped. I think you just have sour grapes not that yall arent the big kid on the block anymore. And as far as years to come I will go out on a limb and say that if BC gets to the regional game in the next couple of years that Jasper will beat them handily. But since our enrollment is so large I guess Old Card's ready made excuse will be close at hand. It must be a terrible thing to go through life with such a sour outlook on life, I was not trying to disrespect BC or Peebles at all, I was just trying to make apoint about how timed speed does not make a great back and you got all bent out of shape. but come game 13 next year we will see what happens If BC wins great they were the better team that day and if Jasper wins we well we have so many kids to choose from we were supposed to.

Baby Bear
05-05-2003, 09:35 PM
There is a back in Gilmer named Andrew Hines who I don't think ran track due to an injury. He has to be one of the fastest kids in pads I have seen. He averaged over 12 yards per carry this past season.

BULLDOGFAN
05-05-2003, 09:38 PM
My humble opinion is that speed has less to do with a great Texas back then heart and drive after the first initial hit. Many great backs in this state never even ran track nor were fast.

In Bandera, Dustin Heep, was as big a runner as anyone else in the state. Yet his 40 times were dismal. He was called the Horse because he took so many defensive people for the ride of their life.

His yards after the intiial hit was 3 times longer then his open field yardage.

<small>[ May 05, 2003, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: BULLDOGFAN ]</small>

Billy Boy
05-05-2003, 09:40 PM
Old Cardinal:
S.Thun.: Peebles was running behind one of the smallest offensive lines in 3A. He did not get a lot against Jasper and Newton, but his team won 11 games and he was a high ranked rusher and has received a fine College scholarship. Remember, Newton and Jasper were both ranked #1 in some of the polls, at the time that they played BC. BC would have won Region III Div.I, again this year had Jasper not dropped down with two dozen Seniors, from 4A. Newton, is always extra tough at the first of the season; but just can't advance in the playoffs because of low enrollment and a few hurt people. Newton will remain tough at the first half of the seaso, and Jasper should be able to dominate because of their huge enrollment pick base. If Jasper, could not win it all last year, I fear that they want be coming close to winning it all for several seasons to come-even with their huge enrollment.Old Card Jasper is at 876 and BC is at 753 I don't see any hugh overwelming odds here. If to look at the sex ratio whose knows we may at the same number of males enroll at each school. eek!

FBmania
05-05-2003, 10:21 PM
BULLDOGFAN:
My humble opinion is that speed has less to do with a great Texas back then heart and drive after the first initial hit. Many great backs in this state never even ran track nor were fast.

In Bandera, Dustin Heep, was as big a runner as anyone else in the state. Yet his 40 times were dismal. He was called the Horse because he took so many defensive people for the ride of their life.
His yards after the intiial hit was 3 times longer then his open field yardage.I think you hit the nail on the head Bulldog, yards after the 1st hit along with decent speed makes a good back. Now if you have break-away speed and a bruising running style... well that's what separates good from great backs.
As far as Old Card, I think he likes to mix it up in here.... he must, he does it all the time! :D :D :D No, he just loves those Cardinals.

audasmom7
05-06-2003, 01:19 AM
Well I dont know what Jeremy's time is, But I do Know that he seems so much faster than alot of the backs we have ran into..But I'am his mother LOL

Old Cardinal
05-06-2003, 09:57 AM
To Vet 93: You sure make a lot of sense in a short time. Your analysis makes sense....To FBMania, You are blowing my cover, Yes, when this board gets a little quite, I do like to inject something a little controversal-just to keep folks thinking, in the off season...I visited with an Ole Football Fan up at Jasper and he was concerned that if Jasper could not even get to the final game, with EIGHT Division I level College prospects, last season; that they might just settle down into an average program in 3A as they had done in 4A over the years, within a couple of years....He just might have something there.

bc 76
05-06-2003, 11:24 AM
Hey guys speed does matter but i would rather have speed on defense.You may not believe this but Bay City 1983 state championship team that defense slowest player ran a 4.6.On offense they had joe deloach 4.3 hart lee dykes 4.7,ricky davidson 4.6 they had speed on offense buy most of the speed was on defense.

etcoach
05-06-2003, 10:19 PM
Old Card,

I have very much enjoyed many of your posts. As a longtime (23years) track coach, I have an intense interest in speed. If you can put your hands on it, I would like to know the details of the study that showed the 85% winners leading the 100 at 20 yards. I have on video probably 25 Olympics, world championships, US Olympic Trials, national championships, etc. and I would hazard to say the opposite is true. Carl Lewis was a notoriously slow starter and he had a streak of like 60 consecutive wins, almost all from behind. I have also seen you scoff at reports of 4.4's and 4.3's in the 40. We had a kid last spring run 4.3 and I reported it here, and you scoffed. He then went to the Best of Texas combine in Dallas and clocked 4.3, fully automated, as reported in Dave Campbell's Texas Football magazine. So I know that when I say I have kid run a certain time, I know it is correct.
Anyway, I agree with you that speed or quickness are both coveted attributes for any football player.

BTW, he is still running 4.3 and an occasional 4.27 and yes he is appearing at the state track meet this weekend.

<small>[ May 06, 2003, 10:22 PM: Message edited by: etcoach ]</small>

j_dog
05-06-2003, 11:28 PM
Old Cardinal:
To Vet 93: You sure make a lot of sense in a short time. Your analysis makes sense....To FBMania, You are blowing my cover, Yes, when this board gets a little quite, I do like to inject something a little controversal-just to keep folks thinking, in the off season...I visited with an Ole Football Fan up at Jasper and he was concerned that if Jasper could not even get to the final game, with EIGHT Division I level College prospects, last season; that they might just settle down into an average program in 3A as they had done in 4A over the years, within a couple of years....He just might have something there.OC, what is an "average" 4a program? If making the playoffs almost every year, with an occassional trip as far as the quarter-finals is "average" then I guess Jasper was "average". But while Jasper was being "average", quite a few 4a Southeast Texas teams did not make the playoffs a single time during that 20 year period.

But, your point about last year is well taken. Jasper did indeed blow one of their best chances ever at state in football last fall. No question about it. But their athletes did not quit. This Saturday, they will have 100 potential points at the state track meet, including teams in all three relays. Some people questioned their heart and speed. After Saturday we will know what they can do. And hey, while doing this, at the same time they are fielding a state ranked baseball team. But, I know you are just stirring the pot a bit. Keep it up.

Old Cardinal
05-07-2003, 08:19 AM
ET Coach, Please read back what I said! I laughed at the 4.2 & 4.3's being touted! Yes 4.4's a realistic time, but something below 4.35 is fairly rare in HS-right?.....I will try to find the article, Sports Ill., or somewhere. It dealt with HS athletes, not Carl Lewis or the Olympics. Why don't you photograph your own sprinters and prove the author wrong.....Thanks for responding, but remember I said 4.2 and 4.3, and I stand by my word as a viable assessment... What is the name of the athlete that you are talking about? I am very impressed with his ability, there are not a lot of those types across the US.

<small>[ May 07, 2003, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

Old Cardinal
05-07-2003, 10:52 AM
In reality,J., I think Jasper has a fine overall program...I just get tired of ole Thunder Blunder always starting something, through the years. That is why I respond, just to try to get his goat!

Old Cardinal
05-13-2003, 03:41 PM
Well, Michael "The Moose" Gauthier received the Silver Metal in the State Meet, being edged out by Ruben Cantu from Falfuris, with the Gold.... Well Michael will be back next year, since most of the field graduated-Oh well get;em next year, Moose...That pretty well establishes the fact that had Michael and his football running back Cardinal Friend, next year, "Big Jon" Landry teamed up this track season; with the two swift Seniors, Matt Peebles and Jamey Knight, they might well have set a New State 3A record in the 4 X 100m relay....But I know Matt is getting prepared for College ball at the U. of New Mexico; and Jamey Knight is still playing Short-stop for the playoff-engaged Cardinal baseball team. Knight will be one of the most sought after HS baseball players this year, by Div. I's....Gauthier, gets a little faster every time he runs, even beating that fine runner from Mexia.