PDA

View Full Version : grey shirt/ preferred walk-on????

SHSBulldog00
02-04-2011, 09:15 PM
Is there a difference?

Old Tiger
02-04-2011, 09:50 PM
grey shirt will receiver a scholarship the following year.

preferred walk on stays a walk on unless somehow by a slim chance they receive a scholarship.

Rabid Cougar
02-04-2011, 09:53 PM
Gray shirt - the athlete signs a letter of intent but delays enrolling as a full time student. He counts against that years scholarship number but does not lose any eligibility. He cannot take more than 9 hours either at the offering school or at another school. His eligibility starts when he becomes a full time student,usually in the spring semester and still has 5 years to play 4 and retains his red-shirt.

It is most ofter used when the athlete is rehabing from an injury sustained senior year in high school.

Preferred/invited walk-ons - athlete pays their own way and is treated like a scholarship. Often somehow related to or friend of the coaching staff.

Matthew328
02-04-2011, 10:44 PM
I do not believe a gray shirt counts against that year....he counts against the next year

navscanmaster
02-04-2011, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
I do not believe a gray shirt counts against that year....he counts against the next year

Correct. There was a pretty good article about LSU gray shirting a crop of athletes, and some weren't too happy about it. It can be a good thing, and it can be a bad thing if the athlete is down the depth chart and not injured....

Rabid Cougar
02-05-2011, 11:00 AM
My son gray-shirted due to injury. Just relaying as it was explained to me.

Lots of schools, like LSU, use the practice to stock pile talent.