PDA

View Full Version : What is Wrong with This Picture

Phil C
12-07-2003, 06:53 PM
My alma mater Texas A&M Kingsville played their last game this year in the Division 2 semis and lost by 28 points to Grand Central Valley and their season is over. Since they lost they will not be playing in the final division 1 NCAA national championship but Grand Central Valley is. Not that I am complaining because we got whipped and don't deserve to advance. But wait! Oklahoma also gets whipped by 28 points and they are playing in the national championship and the no. 1 team according to other polls is out in the cold (well they get to play Michigan) as far as the national championship is concerned! Both LSU and USC won big that same day against good teams and should have met in Sugar. But that is your BCS for you. Let's see you lose your last game by 28 points and you are playing for the national championship! Only in American Division 1 football!

jason
12-07-2003, 06:57 PM
you could have a valid point...BUT

when there were still a limited number of undefeated teams, OU was the unanimous #1...now they have 1 loss also along with LSU and USC, so that means they should still be rated above both of them...they shouldnt be penalized because they got their FIRST loss in the last game of the season...If anything should change, then USC should be playing, not LSU....

sinton66
12-07-2003, 07:03 PM
I think Phil's point is that we need an actual playoff system just like Div.II has. To proclaim a national champion by any other means is simply a sham.

Phil C
12-07-2003, 07:06 PM
You got it Sinton 66. Naturally if we had a real playoff system Oklahoma would and should have a shot at redemption. And I agree with your comment that the bowls could be used on a rotating basis like you said. The BCS is already doing that for the one shot national championship.

jason
12-07-2003, 07:14 PM
oh, i totally agree with a playoff system too...me and my roommates were talkin about it earlier.
This is what we came up with:

Keep the BCS point system and take the top 16, put them all into a hat, draw first round matchups and let them play...it would be a 4 round (4 week) playoff so there would be little difference from preparing for 4 weeks for 1 game, you'd have to keep goin like u were....

Phil C
12-07-2003, 07:17 PM
Sounds good to me Jason. Of course there will probably always be some controversy over the 16th pick but that is much better than having it on the 2nd pick plus you would get all the worthy teams for sure.

jason
12-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Phil C:
Sounds good to me Jason. Of course there will probably always be some controversy over the 16th pick but that is much better than having it on the 2nd pick plus you would get all the worthy teams for sure.yeah, well then you could say, ok lets take the top 32, but then 33rd team would say they got screwed...ya know..its a never ending problem...oh well...

Phil C
12-07-2003, 07:22 PM
I agree Jason but your figure at 16 works well with Division 2 football so there is no reason that it wouldn't work with division 1.

jason
12-07-2003, 07:25 PM
Phil C:
I agree Jason but your figure at 16 works well with Division 2 football so there is no reason that it wouldn't work with division 1.thats cool..us pickin 16 was coincidence, i didnt know DII did a 16 team playoff (i knew they did one though)