PDA

View Full Version : Panhandlers...how do you respond to them?

Sweetwater Red
02-03-2011, 08:10 PM
Spradlin taking the Temple job reminded me of
why I hate Temple along with Big Spring and
Beaumont. You can't go anywhere in those three towns without somebody approaching you
and giving a sob story. It usually starts with "Me, my wife and kids are stranded..." or "I'm
only a few bucks short of being able to buy a bus ticket to...".

I've always responded with "Sorry, Can't help you". Then they almost always follow with "God
bless you sir" or "bless you". Is that a last ditch effort to make someone feel guilty? :doh:

Just wondering what those of you that have experienced this think.

bobcat1
02-03-2011, 08:12 PM
I always ask them if they are going to buy beer with it. If they say yes I give them ehough for a quart.

Yoe_09
02-03-2011, 08:18 PM
If you think Temple is bad then you should go to Austin for a little while.

DDBooger
02-03-2011, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
If you think Temple is bad then you should go to Austin for a little while. I've been there and lived near there. They never bothered me, in fact, they kept to themselves.

garciap77
02-03-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
I've been there and lived near there. They never bothered me, in fact, they kept to themselves.

borrowed :confused:

Yoe_09
02-03-2011, 08:22 PM
I've been there and lived near there. They never bothered me, in fact, they kept to themselves.

But compared to Temple IMO it is not the same.

DDBooger
02-03-2011, 08:23 PM
But compared to Temple IMO it is not the same. Naturally, comparing a metropolitan city to a town.

Old LB
02-03-2011, 08:23 PM
There are several homeless folks living along the railroad tracks. One in paticular has been in the same place for approx. 15 yrs. I would buy this guy a burger now and then after I first met him. Then I began to watch him over time and realized he has chosen to live in his situation and does not desire anything different so I stopped giving him anything.

Today it was about 15 degrees and we were working on some track. Here he comes headed to the store, we ask him why he was not at the shelter. He says, screw the shelter and goes on his way. After about 20 minutes he came back by with a quart headed to camp. :confused:

DDBooger
02-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
There are several homeless folks living along the railroad tracks. One in paticular has been in the same place for approx. 15 yrs. I would buy this guy a burger now and then after I first met him. Then I began to watch him over time and realized he has chosen to live in his situation and does not desire anything different so I stopped giving him anything.

Today it was about 15 degrees and we were working on some track. Here he comes headed to the store, we ask him why he was not at the shelter. He says, screw the shelter and goes on his way. After about 20 minutes he came back by with a quart headed to camp. :confused: My pops works on the RR too. He does the same, buys them food and those he runs across willingly accept it. He gave them a lot of old clothes of ours too.

Sweetwater Red
02-03-2011, 08:28 PM

I agree. Of course it's been about 6 years since I've spent any significant time there.

Old LB
02-03-2011, 08:33 PM

My parents lived in Belton for about 10 yrs. and I never seen much problems with the panhandlers in Temple when I was there visiting.

Now Austin and San Antonio, good lord they are horrible.

Yoe_09
02-03-2011, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
My parents lived in Belton for about 10 yrs. and I never seen much problems with the panhandlers in Temple when I was there visiting.

Now Austin and San Antonio, good lord they are horrible.

Belton is a great town to live in. Not too small and not too large IMO...and not to mention that great collegiate football program they got:D.

BaseballUmp
02-03-2011, 08:42 PM
There may be a lot in Austin, but they won't do much except ask to bum a cig...that's about it

big daddy russ
02-03-2011, 08:43 PM
If I have a dollar on me, I give it. If I have bottled water or food or clothes in the truck/that I don't need, I give them. If I see someone stranded on the side of the road, I stop.

Always have.

bigwood33
02-03-2011, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Spradlin taking the Temple job reminded me of
why I hate Temple along with Big Spring and
Beaumont. You can't go anywhere in those three towns without somebody approaching you
and giving a sob story. It usually starts with "Me, my wife and kids are stranded..." or "I'm
only a few bucks short of being able to buy a bus ticket to...".

I've always responded with "Sorry, Can't help you". Then they almost always follow with "God
bless you sir" or "bless you". Is that a last ditch effort to make someone feel guilty? :doh:

Just wondering what those of you that have experienced this think.
The "wife and kids...stranded" and the "bus ticket" story are classic scams. Never give those scammers anything. There are some folks who obviously need help and I try to help those. I have given money, food, rides, bought gas, etc to people but try to discern if they are really in need or if being in need is their job. I gave a lady in St Louis $86 (all I had in my wallet) one time because she was in obvious need.
BTW, yes, the "bless you" business is their last ditch effort at guilting you into paying them.

DDBooger
02-03-2011, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
There may be a lot in Austin, but they won't do much except ask to bum a cig...that's about it Yup, I think most people that get that impression haven't lived in Austin or just repeat what they've heard. Used to go sit at the creek in the Barton area and they'd always mind their business. Sometimes they'd strike a convo, but I've always offered before they asked.

Ernest T Bass
02-03-2011, 09:03 PM
I always tell them I gave all my money to the other bum.

Sweetwater Red
02-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
If I have a dollar on me, I give it. If I have bottled water or food or clothes in the truck/that I don't need, I give them. If I see someone stranded on the side of the road, I stop.

Always have.

Trying to cover alll your bases are you...just incase? :thinking:

I prefer to donate my money to known and just causes such as autism and breast cancer
research. Not a hobo on the street looking for a hand out.

TheDOCTORdre
02-03-2011, 09:12 PM
If someone asks for money for food, I offer to take them down to the closest burger joint and buy them some food. You find out rather quickly who really wants food or brown water that way

turbostud
02-03-2011, 09:12 PM
What bothers me these days is everywhere you go, everyone is asking for tips. I cant go into any eating place here in San Antonio without a tip jar in front of me at the cash register. Chipotle, Freebirds, etc...

BaseballUmp
02-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Yup, I think most people that get that impression haven't lived in Austin or just repeat what they've heard. Used to go sit at the creek in the Barton area and they'd always mind their business. Sometimes they'd strike a convo, but I've always offered before they asked.

Yea bums are awesome. My roommates 21st we got rooms downtown and all went to 6th. Some of the coolest people you will ever talk to. Idk why people are afraid of them and whatnot. I always try to talk to them. This one said he would give me a dollar for a smoke and I was like naw I got you man.

carter08
02-04-2011, 12:03 AM
I usually give them whatever coins I have. I don't carry cash on me though, so usually I just tell them I'm sorry.

Back in August, me and some friends were making a late night run to Kroger. In my friend's driveway, a guy comes up with a bag and says he needs money and will give us a bag of "game videos" for 5 bucks.

Really regret not having five bucks. Sure, he was just gonna buy beer, but I bet those bootleg games were great.

Txbroadcaster
02-04-2011, 02:38 AM
Dont assume that a bum that wont go with you to get food is only looking for Liquor..like one bum once told me when I offered..he has no clue if I am going to feed him or kill him

coach
02-04-2011, 02:44 AM
Yea bums are awesome. My roommates 21st we got rooms downtown and all went to 6th. Some of the coolest people you will ever talk to. Idk why people are afraid of them and whatnot. I always try to talk to them. This one said he would give me a dollar for a smoke and I was like naw I got you man.

Im guessing yall went to the gay bars for his 21st lol

coach
02-04-2011, 02:48 AM
San Diego might be worse than Austin. They are everywhere down there. I stayed at a hotel with an Ice Cream Shop right across the street from it and every night I would stop by there and get me some delicous Ice Cream, and every night a bum would ask for some money. I told them no every time except for the last night. I was walking back to the hotel and my little brother threw away his half eaten cone and a bum came outta nowhere and dug it out of the trash and started eating it like it was prime rib. I turned around and handed him a 5 dollar bill. Every time i see a hobo i think of that guy. It kinda scares me and haunts me in a way knowing how lucky i am not to be that guy.

PPHSfan
02-04-2011, 03:09 AM
I will give you a jump if your battery is dead. I will buy you lunch if you sit with me and tell me funny stories. I will even bring my truck to your house and help you move. But uncle Sam redistributes enough of my wealth already. I won't even give my kids free money. :D

BaseballUmp
02-04-2011, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by coach
Im guessing yall went to the gay bars for his 21st lol

Hahaha mannnn back then I didn't know, so no we didn't lol

SWMustang
02-04-2011, 05:08 AM
I yell at them and tell them to get away from me. I can't possibly help EVERY panhandler in Houston. Some are pretty aggressive with their demands. Maybe living here in H-town for so long has turned my empathy switch off. It strips your humanity away.

SWMustang
02-04-2011, 05:10 AM
Hahaha mannnn back then I didn't know, so no we didn't lol

you didn't know you were gay at 21 years old?

BaseballUmp
02-04-2011, 05:26 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
you didn't know you were gay at 21 years old?

Nawww my roommate ...hater

SWMustang
02-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Nawww my roommate ...hater

ahhh - gotcha. not hatin, just thought it odd if someone didn't know their sexual identity at 21.

PPHSfan
02-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by SWMustang
ahhh - gotcha. not hatin, just thought it odd if someone didn't know their sexual identity at 21.

Sexual identity?

Really? Really?

LH Panther Mom
02-04-2011, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre
If someone asks for money for food, I offer to take them down to the closest burger joint and buy them some food. You find out rather quickly who really wants food or brown water that way
I had some close friends in Lubbock for years. Some dude had a "will work for food" sign. The husband pulled over, offered the have the guy come help him with the yard for a bag of burgers from a restaurant. The man declined telling him he just wanted the cash. :rolleyes:

When we lived in Lubbock, the news did a story one night about panhandlers. They talked to a guy that was regularly at the Loop & 4th St access light that we saw almost every day one the way to our house. He always had a "out of work, family needs food" sign. He said his usual "take" was $350-$400 a day and that on a good day, he'd get $800+.

Sorry, maybe it's un-Christianlike of me, but that jaded me forever from feeling sorry & giving money.

There may be a lot in Austin, but they won't do much except ask to bum a cig...that's about it
Uhm... :doh:

I worked on 6th off Lamar for years. I got to work early one morning (around 7 or so). As I was walking across the parking lot, a woman approached me & asked if I could spare $10 because she needed a fix & it wasn't time yet for her methadone treatment at whatever clinic/program. She was nice enough about it when I told her I didn't have any cash.

LoboesWT
02-04-2011, 10:19 AM
I have no guilt if it was a true emergency situation. The bleeding heart stories and written signs standing on corners, although sad it is the easy way out. Clean up, take a job, and pay taxes that is the hard way. I came to this conclusion when a teacher of mine way back in high school told me about her drug addicted brother. He made more money panhandling than she did as a teacher. He had been offered more jobs and more opportunities to make a change and never did. He always went right back to the corner, it was easier and he made more money.

44INAROW
02-04-2011, 10:36 AM
If you think Temple is bad then you should go to Austin for a little while.

south Riverside Drive - they are horrible.........

PPHSfan
02-04-2011, 10:39 AM
I once shot a panhandler for snoring too loud.

PPHSfan
02-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Ok. If you really want to help these guys try this.

Tom Mabe feeding the homeless video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIfc1Jq5p6M&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

BullsFan
02-04-2011, 11:55 AM
I had a friend whose husband always offered a job to those who had signs saying stuff like, "Will work for food", etc. No one ever took him up on it. Ever.

SWMustang
02-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Sexual identity?

Really? Really?

ok - ughhh..... sexual orientation?

SWMustang
02-04-2011, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I once shot a panhandler for snoring too loud.

John wesley Hardin

LH_Tuff
02-05-2011, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
What bothers me these days is everywhere you go, everyone is asking for tips. I cant go into any eating place here in San Antonio without a tip jar in front of me at the cash register. Chipotle, Freebirds, etc...

And what about Hotels? Since when is it expected that maids get tips?

uncleB
02-05-2011, 10:08 AM
saw a sign on one last week in Las Vegas that said..... Honestly just need money for Beer!!!......... droped a few coins in for at least being honest about it.

Phil C
02-05-2011, 11:47 AM
I can't think of the name of it but some of you can help. It has been many years since I read it but a Sherlock Holmes story had a mystery that involved a weathy "business man" who dressed as a begger because he found he could make more money than working. I think he started as a project in college where he dressed as a begger to see what he could get. He found out he could get more that way than working. He kept it from his family but the catch was the wife came across him by accident. Sherlock Holmes solved the mystery but the "begger" had to go into a more honest way of working. :)

Pendragon13
02-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Any town with an interstate running through it is going to have panhandlers that stick around for a while to try their luck. Abilene has their fair share as well. I usually don't give them anything...back in my younger days I got suckered in by professional panhandlers "that just need a couple bucks for gas" or a "a few dollars to buy diapers"......every single day for weeks on end.:doh:

Pendragon13
02-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I can't think of the name of it but some of you can help. It has been many years since I read it but a Sherlock Holmes story had a mystery that involved a weathy "business man" who dressed as a begger because he found he could make more money than working. I think he started as a project in college where he dressed as a begger to see what he could get. He found out he could get more that way than working. He kept it from his family but the catch was the wife came across him by accident. Sherlock Holmes solved the mystery but the "begger" had to go into a more honest way of working. :) Many years ago, a Fort Worth Star Telegram reporter went undercover for a week as a "homeless man".....and reported that the one day he stood on the street corner with a "will work for food" sign landed him nearly $300. I was ready to quit my job and stop shaving/showering.:D