PDA

View Full Version : Recruiting Trends

RoyceTTU
02-03-2011, 10:38 AM
http://i993.photobucket.com/albums/af57/roycettu/Recruiting.jpg

I was interested in the trend for recruiting so I threw this up real fast. Sorry the formating isn't well thought out but you'll get the idea.

My main focus was on the Avg Stars Recruit. Seems OU and UT dipped just a hair but are still very repectful and leading the pack.

OSU is up and down much like their seasons are from year to year. But they are heading in the right direction.

Baylor and TCU are making the big games for two reasons. They are winning more and their coaches are committed for the long haul. This is great news.

Obviously Tech is what made me do the chart, great kudos to Tuberville to stop a downward spiral that leach had in recruiting to get us back on track. Not only did he turn it around but also bolstered one of the best recruiting classes in many many years.

The big disappointment is obviously A&M. I'll be modest because I'm biased, but they need to do something. I'm not sure if it's Sherman's lack of recruiting or because they can't seem to win like they used to.

I know recruiting dosn't win the games by themselves, but it dang sure dosn't hurt.....example....UT and OU. What I like the most about it all, is that the gap is closing between the Texas/OU schools which should show more competition in the future.
Anyhow, enjoy!!!:D

Phil C
02-03-2011, 10:48 AM
I think when Oklahoma got its' 18 recruit yesterday someone pointed out that 16 were from Texas and 1 from Oklahoma. If that is true that can't get them in good with Oklahoma coaches. It is also a reflection on Oklahoma's football talent. I know OU recruits in Texas but a 16 to 1 ratio seems to be extremely ridiculous. I wonder what the case is with Oklahoma State. No wonder we got Cobbs and Turner the past two years.

YTBulldogs
02-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Now this is some good info. Good job Royce. Can you do one for high school recruiting?;)

RoyceTTU
02-03-2011, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I think when Oklahoma got its' 18 recruit yesterday someone pointed out that 16 were from Texas and 1 from Oklahoma. If that is true that can't get them in good with Oklahoma coaches. It is also a reflection on Oklahoma's football talent. I know OU recruits in Texas but a 16 to 1 ratio seems to be extremely ridiculous. I wonder what the case is with Oklahoma State. No wonder we got Cobbs and Turner the past two years.

OSU

20 - tx
2 - ou
1 - ms
1 - ga

Tech
17 - tx
1 - al
1 - va
1 - nm
1 - nc
2 - ks
2 - fl
2 - pa
1 - ms
1 - wi

Tubbs racked up the frequent flyer miles:D :D

On WBAP this A.M., they had some guy from MaxPreps on there. He said over 350 Texas Students signed LOI to D1 colleges for football alone:eek:

NastySlot
02-03-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

OU has great relationship with Texas H.S coaches...I believe they still accept THSCA membership cards for tickets.............and OU does a great job and has for a long time of recruiting in Texas...........lets think about this for a second.....if I remember right I read that their are roughly 3.5 million people in the entire state...........heck the DFW metro area has over 6 million.

followed ou closer this season they get the really good okies and do a great job of dipping into KS and MO.

toured ou this past summer and was amazed at the tradition and success they have had and the facilities there for football are incredible............it's almost like they have done more with Texas talent through history than Texas Schools.

NastySlot
02-03-2011, 11:07 AM
here s a question how is that USC on probation was able to out recruit all the teams of the big xii

LoboesWT
02-03-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU

Obviously Tech is what made me do the chart, great kudos to Tuberville to stop a downward spiral that leach had in recruiting to get us back on track. Not only did he turn it around but also bolstered one of the best recruiting classes in many many years.

I like the chart, but disagree with the Downward spiral Leach had in recruiting. If you were to take that chart back another eight years and look at from the end of the Spike Dykes era(who I greatly respect), the recruiting had vastly improved. If Leach would have stayed the recruiting would have continued to improve. One issue that hurt Leach with recruiting the last couple of years was lack of institutional support, e.g. Gerald Myers. Tuberville has done well with recruiting, now win.

RoyceTTU
02-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
I like the chart, but disagree with the Downward spiral Leach had in recruiting. If you were to take that chart back another eight years and look at from the end of the Spike Dykes era(who I greatly respect), the recruiting had vastly improved. If Leach would have stayed the recruiting would have continued to improve. One issue that hurt Leach with recruiting the last couple of years was lack of institutional support, e.g. Gerald Myers. Tuberville has done well with recruiting, now win.

I almost agree with you. The only thing I disagree, Leaches recruiting was starting to dip mainly because of all the contract negotiations. Twice during his tenure his contract negotiations spanned across NSD. That was also within the last 5 years.

He wasn't dipping much but look at the recruiting avg stars. The quality wasn't getting there. But yes, he was miles ahead of Spike.

RoyceTTU
02-03-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
here s a question how is that USC on probation was able to out recruit all the teams of the big xii

Combination of a few things. This thread hit them all

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110808

BEAST
02-03-2011, 11:17 AM
In regards to the point you made about A&M, Sherman has done a masterful job righting the ship since he has been there. Keep in mind, the tied for the Big 12 south championship this year. Had it not been for a very close loss to OSU, they would have won it out right. Sherman targeted specific needs with this class. He has mentioned it in interviews. He got what he needed and wanted. I expect to see next years class in the top 10.

BEAST

NastySlot
02-03-2011, 11:21 AM
Combination of a few things. This thread hit them all

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110808

thanks

RoyceTTU
02-03-2011, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by BEAST
In regards to the point you made about A&M, Sherman has done a masterful job righting the ship since he has been there. Keep in mind, the tied for the Big 12 south championship this year. Had it not been for a very close loss to OSU, they would have won it out right. Sherman targeted specific needs with this class. He has mentioned it in interviews. He got what he needed and wanted. I expect to see next years class in the top 10.

BEAST

He righted the ship in a very down year. UT and Tech struggling the whole way through. To argue your point, Baylor and OSU was up so maybe your right that it wasn't as down as it might see. But in my eyes, the value that those teams were up was nothing compared to how far Tech and UT dropped. UT alone could argue that point.

In the yes of a recruit, if A&M can win like they did this year, there will be a lot more confidence in recruiting. Right now there is a good argument that says they were the beneficiary of a down year. Anyhow, I hope they all do well. Like I said, I like the gap closing, I want them all beating each other up.:D

NastySlot
02-03-2011, 11:25 AM

BEAST

i agree with you...this class is going to be one to keep an eye on cause only time will tell and they could be followed but a really good class next season.....i read some where (too papers this morning) that Sherman doesn't necessarily know how many stars a recruiting service has given a kid....but he knows where the recruit rate with his criteria.

I wouldn't call him a great recruiter and I would call him a lousy one either.

NastySlot
02-03-2011, 11:27 AM
He righted the ship in a very down year. UT and Tech struggling the whole way through. To argue your point, Baylor and OSU was up so maybe your right that it wasn't as down as it might see. But in my eyes, the value that those teams were up was nothing compared to how far Tech and UT dropped. UT alone could argue that point.

In the yes of a recruit, if A&M can win like they did this year, there will be a lot more confidence in recruiting. Right now there is a good argument that says they were the beneficiary of a down year. Anyhow, I hope they all do well. Like I said, I like the gap closing, I want them all beating each other up.:D

that gap isn't closing and I don't think it ever will...even with off years like the horns had.

texas and ou will continue to dominate during the season and recruiting.

BEAST
02-03-2011, 11:29 AM

My biggest point is recruiting on needs not just how many stars a kid has. Almost like most coaches look at the NFL draft. Sherman was a NFL coach, I think he takes that approach. Sure if there is 100% cant miss guy on your door step, you take him. But spend your hardest hours getting the best possible player to take care of your needs. Texas had a lot of 5 star guys this past season, didnt do so well. Im not sold that they will be any better this season.

BEAST

RoyceTTU
02-03-2011, 11:36 AM
My biggest point is recruiting on needs not just how many stars a kid has. Almost like most coaches look at the NFL draft. Sherman was a NFL coach, I think he takes that approach. Sure if there is 100% cant miss guy on your door step, you take him. But spend your hardest hours getting the best possible player to take care of your needs. Texas had a lot of 5 star guys this past season, didnt do so well. Im not sold that they will be any better this season.

BEAST

I also am not sold they will be that much better either.

I am going to make the comparison to UT and OU because they have done it so well for so long. They don't sign players for stars either. They go after their needs. You never see them sign 10 QBs in one year because they are all studs? The difference is, when they go after their needs, they are landing 3/4/5 star recruits everytime. A&M and Tech can't do that. A&M used to, but can't any longer.

I do understand your point, but I can also see a coach that struggled in recruiting this year use the excuse "we picked up all our needs this year and nothing else"

NastySlot
02-03-2011, 11:38 AM
I do understand your point, but I can also see a coach that struggled in recruiting this year use the excuse "we picked up all our needs this year and nothing else"

that better not be an excuse any year.....they had better recruit based on needs.

NastySlot
02-03-2011, 11:40 AM
I have question..........5 star is a given.....the kid is a bad ^$$.....but what really seperates a 4 , 3 or even a 2?

RoyceTTU
02-03-2011, 11:43 AM

I think I found something we can agree on.

You CAN'T spell SUCK without USC:D

RoyceTTU
02-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I have question..........5 star is a given.....the kid is a bad ^$$.....but what really seperates a 4 , 3 or even a 2?

Probably the same thing that seprates 1/2/HM all-state players :confused:

OPINION from people that watch football on a grander scheme than we do?

NastySlot
02-03-2011, 11:45 AM
I think I found something we can agree on.

You CAN'T spell SUCK without USC:D

USC=SUCK even a letter short it does.

BEAST
02-03-2011, 11:50 AM
I also am not sold they will be that much better either.

I am going to make the comparison to UT and OU because they have done it so well for so long. They don't sign players for stars either. They go after their needs. You never see them sign 10 QBs in one year because they are all studs? The difference is, when they go after their needs, they are landing 3/4/5 star recruits everytime. A&M and Tech can't do that. A&M used to, but can't any longer.

If I am correct, I believe you will see A&M's 2012 class be "highly ranked". For me, the "stars" are nice on paper, but they dont win you games in college. Boise St and TCU probably dont have any 5's any maybe very few 4's if any. You have to get the right kid for your scheme. Sherman is bent on bringing back The Wrecking Crew. He has it on the way.

BEAST

NastySlot
02-03-2011, 01:47 PM
If I am correct, I believe you will see A&M's 2012 class be "highly ranked". For me, the "stars" are nice on paper, but they dont win you games in college. Boise St and TCU probably dont have any 5's any maybe very few 4's if any. You have to get the right kid for your scheme. Sherman is bent on bringing back The Wrecking Crew. He has it on the way.

BEAST

sherman has got one thing right recruiting Louisiana.......he 's getting some good ones from there............and with the addition of Raven yesterday look for a few more next season.