PDA

View Full Version : District 29 Basketball Standings?????

SHSBulldog00
02-03-2011, 12:17 AM
I don't know all of the standing's but here is what I do know.

Girl's

West Columbia is in 1st.
Sweeny girls are in playoffs.

Boy's

The Sweeny boys are 4-0 in District and will likely sweep again this year.

maestro
02-04-2011, 05:29 PM
i believe it is then:

needville boys, columbia boys, wharton boys, palacios boys.

this district could be labeled:

sweeny and the others....

SHSBulldog00
02-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Sweeny's closest district game was 8 points vs. WC w/o the Dog's leading scorer.

The next closest game was 20 points vs. Wharton.

They could be in for a tough one Saturday @ WC.:rolleyes:

maestro
02-06-2011, 10:18 PM
what were the saturday district results?

SHSBulldog00
02-06-2011, 11:40 PM
Sweeny beat WC by 8 again but haven't heard any other scores.

neck_06
02-07-2011, 01:12 AM
My two cents:

Not sure that Sweeny will win a playoff game this year.....watched them play a few times and I'm really not that impressed. Don't get me wrong, they have AWESOME athletes and size...but not real strong on the basketball side of things.

Lemon is a good athlete and a good slasher, but if you can play a solid zone and make him stay outside the paint you can contain him. Solid free throw shooter who will make them when they count down the stretch.

McBride is another kid with great size and ability, but he's still a little raw in the paint. If you make him shoot from outside 5 feet he struggles and will get frustrated, but if he gets it close to the basket, its over...get out of his way. He also travels 80% of the time when he gets the ball (switches pivot foot or hops before he dribbles) which could hurt if he runs into a stickler referee crew. Also, he's not the greatest free throw shooter (~3/13 Saturday). Almost looked like a hack-a-shaq there for a while.

The Holmes kid is a scorer, and a really good one at that. But he's also a ticking time bomb. He got pretty frustrated in the Columbia game Saturday...went off the court talking trash and yelling at fans (after being held to only 5 points). If you can stay in his jersey and make him work for shots, you can slow him down (don't think you'll completely stop him tho, however, he can stop himself---see attitude issues above).

And one more thing....if you can just block Sweeny out they will jump over your back and you will foul them out (like most high school teams). Had West Columbia blocked out in either of the games they could have easily won. Sweeny dominated the offensive glass.

pancho villa
02-07-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by neck_06
My two cents:

Not sure that Sweeny will win a playoff game this year.....watched them play a few times and I'm really not that impressed. Don't get me wrong, they have AWESOME athletes and size...but not real strong on the basketball side of things.

Lemon is a good athlete and a good slasher, but if you can play a solid zone and make him stay outside the paint you can contain him. Solid free throw shooter who will make them when they count down the stretch.

McBride is another kid with great size and ability, but he's still a little raw in the paint. If you make him shoot from outside 5 feet he struggles and will get frustrated, but if he gets it close to the basket, its over...get out of his way. He also travels 80% of the time when he gets the ball (switches pivot foot or hops before he dribbles) which could hurt if he runs into a stickler referee crew. Also, he's not the greatest free throw shooter (~3/13 Saturday). Almost looked like a hack-a-shaq there for a while.

The Holmes kid is a scorer, and a really good one at that. But he's also a ticking time bomb. He got pretty frustrated in the Columbia game Saturday...went off the court talking trash and yelling at fans (after being held to only 5 points). If you can stay in his jersey and make him work for shots, you can slow him down (don't think you'll completely stop him tho, however, he can stop himself---see attitude issues above).

And one more thing....if you can just block Sweeny out they will jump over your back and you will foul them out (like most high school teams). Had West Columbia blocked out in either of the games they could have easily won. Sweeny dominated the offensive glass.

High school kids don't know what block out is. For that matter it is a lost art at all levels!

AintNoSunshine
02-07-2011, 11:25 AM
Well with the way the officiating is these days, blocking out doesnt matter cause position doesnt mean a darn thing to the refs.

neck_06
02-07-2011, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
High school kids don't know what block out is. For that matter it is a lost art at all levels!

It's sad how true this statement is....basketball is more about pure athletic ability now than fundamentals.. :(