PDA

View Full Version : AT&T/Verizon Iphones

Saggy Aggie
01-28-2011, 04:55 PM
Same price up front for the phones. AT&T is $185.00 plus tax/month and Verizon is $200 plus tax/month for the plans that I want. They're the exact same plans (700 minutes, unlimited text) but Verizon has unlimited data and AT&T has a max of 2 Gb with a $10 charge for every Gb over that. I live out the in the country when I'm home (not at A&M), so coverage is sort of an issue.

Tell me what you know about the two companies customer service wise too.

And overall, which direction would you go?

Emerson1
01-28-2011, 05:01 PM
I've had mine since Augurst and I've used 3.5 GB of data total. Safe to say if I can't use 2GB in a single month, then not many can.

Yoe_09
01-28-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
Same price up front for the phones. AT&T is $185.00 plus tax/month and Verizon is $200 plus tax/month for the plans that I want. They're the exact same plans (700 minutes, unlimited text) but Verizon has unlimited data and AT&T has a max of 2 Gb with a $10 charge for every Gb over that. I live out the in the country when I'm home (not at A&M), so coverage is sort of an issue.

Tell me what you know about the two companies customer service wise too.

And overall, which direction would you go?

It depends.

Not sure where you are seeing 700 minutes...I see 450 and 900. Personally myself I probably only use about 100 minutes of talk along with the unlimited text.

You either go with...

Att for 200mb(lots of web viewing and light music steam) or 2GB(lots of web viewing along with lots of music steam and video). Verizon for unlimited data

ATT

450 minutes - 200mb - unlimited text- $75 per month(without taxes and surcharges)

450 minutes- 2GB - unlimited text - $85 per month(without taxes and surcharges)

Verizon

450 minutes- 150mb - 5000 text plus unlimited mobile to mobile $85(without taxes or surcharges)

450 minutes - unlimited web - 5000 text plus unlimited mobile to mobile - $100(without taxes or surcharges)

You can add on $20 to all 4 if you wanted 900 minutes. You can also expect taxes and surcharges to equal in the 20-25 dollar range.

Keep in mind that with Verzion(according to their site) you do not actually get unlimited texting to everyone.

Personally I would go with AT&T.

crzyjournalist03
01-28-2011, 05:33 PM
$200/month for a phone? Is that really worth it?

I've got a Samsung Intercept on Virgin Mobile for $40/month after taxes with 1200 minutes and unlimited everything else.

I just have hard time understanding how a phone could possibly be worth anywhere close to $200 a month.

Emerson1
01-28-2011, 05:41 PM
Maybe he meant the cost of the phone? The 2GB iphone data plan is only $25-$30 a month. I don't see how only 700 minutes and unlimited text could add on another $130.

RoyceTTU
01-28-2011, 05:51 PM
If you can wait a few months I would. Apple is rumored to have the Iphone availabe for $50 for both carriers. Atleast that is the communication we are getting back down from franchise wireless vp from radioshack.

Saggy Aggie
01-28-2011, 06:11 PM
The plan I'm looking at is for 3 iphones. It's a family pack, thus the 700 mins and the 185-200 price range.

Saggy Aggie
01-28-2011, 09:55 PM
ttt

Yoe_09
01-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
The plan I'm looking at is for 3 iphones. It's a family pack, thus the 700 mins and the 185-200 price range.

Oh well nvm on everything I said about the individual plans. I would still go with AT&T

big daddy russ
01-29-2011, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
I've had mine since Augurst and I've used 3.5 GB of data total. Safe to say if I can't use 2GB in a single month, then not many can.
I drive an hour and fifteen minutes each day to work and back. Recently got rid of XM and just bluetooth Pandora/I Heart Radio from my IPhone to my radio. Being in sales, I also have to constantly get on the internet to check email, verify info, etc.

I've never broke 400 mb in a month, and I'm probably on the internet more than a 13-year-old girl.

Saggy, you'll be fine with the 2 GB plan.

AT&T customer service is OK. I'd give it a five. Not as good as TMobile, but a hundred times better than Sprint.

Also, I chose AT&T over Verizon because they have a more extensive coverage network here in Texas. If you're out of state a lot, however, it seems like Verizon has more coverage just about everywhere else.

Yoe_09
01-29-2011, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I drive an hour and fifteen minutes each day to work and back. Recently got rid of XM and just bluetooth Pandora/I Heart Radio from my IPhone to my radio. Being in sales, I also have to constantly get on the internet to check email, verify info, etc.

I've never broke 400 mb in a month, and I'm probably on the internet more than a 13-year-old girl.

Saggy, you'll be fine with the 2 GB plan.

AT&T customer service is OK. I'd give it a five. Not as good as TMobile, but a hundred times better than Sprint.

Also, I chose AT&T over Verizon because they have a more extensive coverage network here in Texas. If you're out of state a lot, however, it seems like Verizon has more coverage just about everywhere else.

How is the service with T-Mobile?...they have the best phone selection IMO but I am not sure if it is reliable.

Saggy Aggie
01-29-2011, 04:55 PM
I live in a pretty crappy area as far as coverage goes, and my T-mobile mytouch works as good or better than anyone else's phone I've seen that has been in my house. :thinking:

big daddy russ
01-30-2011, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
How is the service with T-Mobile?...they have the best phone selection IMO but I am not sure if it is reliable.
I switched from T-Mobile to Sprint back in '04. Not sure how they are now, but back then their coverage was the most limited of any major carrier. They were the first company to wholesale switch from IMEI to SIM technology in their phones and pioneered the way for internet, camera phones, etc, so they could only pick up signal from all-digital towers. Other companies still picked up a source from anywhere, so back then you had to pick your poison.

As far as coverage nowadays, I'm not sure. But T-Mobile is the only company I've had that hasn't overbilled me more than once a year. And on top of that, whenever it happened it wasn't a hassle to get it fixed. Just a simple two-minute phone call to a live operator and they never once tried to give me the run around. Easiest company, by far, I've dealt with.

Sprint was a nightmare. Their technology was dated, you couldn't call what they had customer "service," and overbilling was commonplace (I'm not lying when I say every other month I was overbilled). It's not like there was much to bill on. When I switched to Sprint, I was trying to save money, so I dropped internet and just had a 600 minute/month plan with free nights and weekends, mobile-to-mobile, and unlimited texts. I don't think I ever hit 500 minutes.

And still they screwed my on a bi-monthly basis.

The worst part about Sprint was that getting your bill changed was an hour-long ordeal. They tried to charge me $200 one month for some ringtones I apparently downloaded. Somehow. Without internet. And it still took an hour of convincing to get them to realize that it was a false charge. Far and away the worst customer service of any company I've had.

AT&T's been solid. Best coverage of any of the above companies, adequate customer service, can't really complain too much. Only other company I've had was a Nextel work phone almost ten years ago. They were good back then. No coverage, though. Then again, that was before Sprint bought them out.

I know that's overshare, but I hope it helps.

Yoe_09
01-30-2011, 02:52 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I switched from T-Mobile to Sprint back in '04. Not sure how they are now, but back then their coverage was the most limited of any major carrier. They were the first company to wholesale switch from IMEI to SIM technology in their phones and pioneered the way for internet, camera phones, etc, so they could only pick up signal from all-digital towers. Other companies still picked up a source from anywhere, so back then you had to pick your poison.

As far as coverage nowadays, I'm not sure. But T-Mobile is the only company I've had that hasn't overbilled me more than once a year. And on top of that, whenever it happened it wasn't a hassle to get it fixed. Just a simple two-minute phone call to a live operator and they never once tried to give me the run around. Easiest company, by far, I've dealt with.

Sprint was a nightmare. Their technology was dated, you couldn't call what they had customer "service," and overbilling was commonplace (I'm not lying when I say every other month I was overbilled). It's not like there was much to bill on. When I switched to Sprint, I was trying to save money, so I dropped internet and just had a 600 minute/month plan with free nights and weekends, mobile-to-mobile, and unlimited texts. I don't think I ever hit 500 minutes.

And still they screwed my on a bi-monthly basis.

The worst part about Sprint was that getting your bill changed was an hour-long ordeal. They tried to charge me $200 one month for some ringtones I apparently downloaded. Somehow. Without internet. And it still took an hour of convincing to get them to realize that it was a false charge. Far and away the worst customer service of any company I've had.

AT&T's been solid. Best coverage of any of the above companies, adequate customer service, can't really complain too much. Only other company I've had was a Nextel work phone almost ten years ago. They were good back then. No coverage, though. Then again, that was before Sprint bought them out.

I know that's overshare, but I hope it helps.

Mmmhmmm...we currently have sprint as well. The coverage is not that bad in the area but its not great. I had it narrowed down to T-Mobile and AT&T and it more than likely it is going to be AT&T.

PPHSfan
01-30-2011, 08:48 AM
I was a Sprint customer for 13 years. 3 years ago I switched to AT&T because the last year with Sprint was an overbilling and horrible customer service nightmare. Maybe I will dig out my $5,300.00 bill and scan y'all a picture of it. I actually had to spend an hour arguing that there was a mistake when my average bill for the past two years had been a couple hundred bucks. Anyway, AT&T has stable billing and friendly customer service. That alone would make them my choice of providers.

bobcat1
01-30-2011, 09:25 AM
I've been with Sprint since 2002. I am completely satisfied. I had one billing issue with them and it was straightened out immediately when I asked for the cancellation department.

I was with AT&T before and hated their phones and customer service was a complete joke. They sent me a bill for over $1500 one month and could never explain why. I will never use them again.

big daddy russ
01-31-2011, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I've been with Sprint since 2002. I am completely satisfied. I had one billing issue with them and it was straightened out immediately when I asked for the cancellation department.

I was with AT&T before and hated their phones and customer service was a complete joke. They sent me a bill for over $1500 one month and could never explain why. I will never use them again.
That's an awesome track record. Can't say I've had that much luck with Sprint, and just getting to the cancellation department took a good 15 minutes for me.