PDA

View Full Version : Basketstall

Phil C
01-27-2011, 12:03 PM
Sometimes it works and it almost worked in the game below. I don't like it myself. I pay money to watch basketball and not basketball. I don't like it when the team I want to win does even to their advantage. Fortunately the pros and colleges have done something about it but we need to do something in Texas HS basketball to control it. I think if a team gets the ball and the ref notices that it has been a minute since the team has a shot then he ought to call a time out and caution the stallers they have 30 seconds to get a shot off that must hit the rim. If the stalling team gets the rebound then the clock stops again. Everything would be at the discretion of the ref. If the game is within the last minute and a half then the rule is not in effect. This would help prevent all that stalling. It appears that even the stalling team's fans were upset and booing and I don't blame them. I don't like basketstall. Now you know one sport I don't like - basketball.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/highschool/blog/prep_rally/post/Triple-overtime-game-finishes-with-bizarre-38-31?urn=highschool-312968

Phil C
01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
I attended a basketball game in Freer when I lived there years ago. We had a two point lead with 6 minutes left in a great game. But we had the ball and went into a stall. We kept stalling. The other team actually was able to get it away a couple of times but missed scoring and we got the ball back and went into the stall again. It had been a great game to this point. We won the game and I was glad but the last few minutes the other side booed and all I could do was bow my head in deep shame.

lv2937
01-27-2011, 04:00 PM
When Danny Henderson coached at Liberty Hill,he did the same thing.He would get a big lead and start stalling. Seen him run 3/4 minutes off the clock.

Johnny Utah
01-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Phil,you make zero sense. You don't like hoops because it is tough to play and hard to coach. Great coaches find ways to win and Henderson is one of the best. He would press, stall, you name it to control tempo. Part of it.

Phil C
01-29-2011, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Utah
Phil,you make zero sense. You don't like hoops because it is tough to play and hard to coach. Great coaches find ways to win and Henderson is one of the best. He would press, stall, you name it to control tempo. Part of it.

I agree that is part of it in high school and I don't blame the coaches for using it. The rules should be changed to eliminate it. It should be left to the discretion of the refs if a team is stalling to win and not be merciful. People pay good money to watch basketball not basketstall. You don't see them playing basketstall in college or the pros.

Phil C
01-29-2011, 01:05 PM
Phil,you make zero sense.

If I make zero sense then so do many people I have heard criticize it (basketstall) including many sportswriters - Uh - Say, maybe Johnny has a point. :)

eagles_victory
01-29-2011, 05:47 PM
HS Basketball needs a shot clock badly imo. But I am not going to fault a coach who uses the lack of shot clock to his or her advantage.

Phil C
01-29-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
HS Basketball needs a shot clock badly imo. But I am not going to fault a coach who uses the lack of shot clock to his or her advantage.

I agree eagles but do you think it might involve too much expense to redo scoreboards?

Maroon87
01-29-2011, 11:02 PM
I vividly remember watching the 1982 ACC title game between UNC and Virginia, the game which precipitated the introduction of the shot clock in college basketball. It was truly a disgraceful exhibition. Probably not Dean Smith's best moment, especially when 3 of his starters were named James Worthy, Sam Perkins, and Michael Jordan.:nerd:

Ernest T Bass
01-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Simple solution; don't buy a ticket. That's the beauty of high school athletics. It will survive with or without fans, because it's not about making money or pleasing fans. It's about the kids being successful. If you win 20 games and average 20 points a game, it doesn't matter if the fans bitch because you're still winning. Gotta love high school sports!

Johnny Utah
01-30-2011, 12:04 PM
Well said ernest!!! To say the officials should have discretion is way out there too. Come on Phil!!! Plano west almost beat Marcus stalling, made national news!!! Marcus coach was very complimentary of west and their game plan. All about putting the kids in the best situation to win. Phil, very disappointed in your post.

Phil C
01-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Well said ernest!!! To say the officials should have discretion is way out there too. Come on Phil!!! Plano west almost beat Marcus stalling, made national news!!! Marcus coach was very complimentary of west and their game plan. All about putting the kids in the best situation to win. Phil, very disappointed in your post.

I am puzzled. Of course I don't blame coaches for using basketstall if it helps them win it is just that the rules should stop it from being used. I respect that you don't agree but why are you very disappointed in my post? What is it that you don't like?

:(

Johnny Utah
01-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Openly criticizing another sport!!! Go to the state basketball tournament, it will change your perspective.

eagles_victory
01-31-2011, 01:36 AM
Openly criticizing another sport!!! Go to the state basketball tournament, it will change your perspective. Johnny he would like it more if they rode bikes around the court.

PPHSfan
01-31-2011, 04:29 AM
Phil is not criticizing the game or the coaches. He is simply stating he would like to see a rule change, and giving his reasons.

Reading one of Phil's posts is like listening to a Jimi Hendrix tune for some of you.

You can't just listen to Phil, you gotta HEAR Phil.

Phil C
01-31-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Phil is not criticizing the game or the coaches. He is simply stating he would like to see a rule change, and giving his reasons.

Reading one of Phil's posts is like listening to a Jimi Hendrix tune for some of you.

You can't just listen to Phil, you gotta HEAR Phil.

Thank you PPHSfan! As you posted I didn't intend to criticize the sport but rather give good constructive advice. :)

Johnny Utah
01-31-2011, 03:26 PM
I agree to disagree.

eagles_victory
01-31-2011, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

You can't just listen to Phil, you gotta HEAR Phil. I am white so I am bad about listening to Jimi and not hearing him.

PPHSfan
02-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
I am white so I am bad about listening to Jimi and not hearing him.

Ok. Do you listen to Jamey Johnson, or do you HEAR him?

ol country boy
02-06-2011, 09:59 AM
I think a team that can run the stall is a good thing.

I am an off-coordinator in football and we run the spread. Is it a bad thing if we are winning that we get into a power set and run lead & power and chew the clock with the lead. This could be a stall. We normally are a no huddle pretty quick offense.

This is smart coaching to me.

Phil C
02-06-2011, 06:22 PM
Originally posted by ol country boy
I think a team that can run the stall is a good thing.

I am an off-coordinator in football and we run the spread. Is it a bad thing if we are winning that we get into a power set and run lead & power and chew the clock with the lead. This could be a stall. We normally are a no huddle pretty quick offense.

This is smart coaching to me.

But you still have to move the chains in 4 downs n football. In basketstall you don't even have to hit the rim.

Phil C
02-06-2011, 06:23 PM
One good thing for sure you won't ever have basestall!! :)