PDA

View Full Version : What are your thoughts on this?

ccmom
01-27-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm curious about how other people feel about this TODAY....don't care how you felt yesterday..:thinking:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-mom-jailed-sending-kids-school-district/story?id=12763654:p

Ernest T Bass
01-27-2011, 10:39 AM
Should have been fined, not arrested. If she didn't pay the fine, then arrested.
By the way, did you hear we landed on the moon?

bobcat1
01-27-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
By the way, did you hear we landed on the moon? That is funny. :D

Yesterdays news (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110691&perpage=15&pagenumber=1)

ccmom
01-27-2011, 10:43 AM
Should have been fined, not arrested. If she didn't pay the fine, then arrested.
By the way, did you hear we landed on the moon?

Haha....I guess that means there is another thread for this smarty pants!! :tongue:

Shame on me!! :rolleyes:

ccmom
01-27-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by ccmom
I'm curious about how other people feel about this TODAY....don't care how you felt yesterday..:thinking:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-mom-jailed-sending-kids-school-district/story?id=12763654:p

THERE....does that please the "duplicate thread" police? :rolleyes:

:p

bobcat1
01-27-2011, 10:57 AM
THERE....does that please the "duplicate thread" police? :rolleyes:

:p :spitlol: :fnypost:

Ranger Mom
01-27-2011, 11:06 AM
The messages left on that forum and the messages on GMA's facebook are overwhelmingly in support of the mother.

Ernest T Bass
01-27-2011, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
The messages left on that forum and the messages on GMA's facebook are overwhelmingly in support of the mother.

Im sure none of them are tax payers in that school district.

BwdLion73
01-27-2011, 11:34 AM
I did not pay close attention but I thought right after they said that the mother did not want the juvenile identified I saw her (mother) being interviewed on KTAB news in Abilene.

Am I mistaken?

ccmom
01-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by BwdLion73
I did not pay close attention but I thought right after they said that the mother did not want the juvenile identified I saw her (mother) being interviewed on KTAB news in Abilene.

Am I mistaken?

Are you talking about the other story on the thread about the Abilene ISD? :confused: I think you are a lost little kitty! :doh: ;)

BwdLion73
01-27-2011, 11:44 AM
Are you talking about the other story on the thread about the Abilene ISD? :confused: I think you are a lost little kitty! :doh: ;)

Well I did say I was not paying close attention. :)

Ranger Mom
01-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Im sure none of them are tax payers in that school district.

The granddad is...I guess he can ask for a refund for all the school taxes he pays to a school that he doesn't attend???

Ernest T Bass
01-27-2011, 11:59 AM
The granddad is...I guess he can ask for a refund for all the school taxes he pays to a school that he doesn't attend???

Honestly, I dont know enough about this situation. But, I know if I live in Highland Park, Texas and pay more in school taxes than most pay for their morgage, Im not happy about someone from out of district going to the school I finance. Of course, Im also pretty unhappy about the Robin Hood plan, too.
Mama, what you just did was make a case for the private school voucher plan. Thanks alot! ;)

JustAFan
01-27-2011, 12:05 PM

So schools should open their doors to any relative of anyone who lives in the district? Doesn't make a lot of sense, RM. With this line of thinking I guess businesses should get a refund since they don't have kids that attend either.

Ranger Mom
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Honestly, I dont know enough about this situation. But, I know if I live in Highland Park, Texas and pay more in school taxes than most pay for their morgage, Im not happy about someone from out of district going to the school I finance. Of course, Im also pretty unhappy about the Robin Hood plan, too.
Mama, what you just did was make a case for the private school voucher plan. Thanks alot! ;)

No problem...I am just playing devil's advocate here. My only "feeling" on this is that the punishment didn't fit the crime.

Ranger Mom
01-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by JustAFan
So schools should open their doors to any relative of anyone who lives in the district? Doesn't make a lot of sense, RM. With this line of thinking I guess businesses should get a refund since they don't have kids that attend either.

See above post

Ernest T Bass
01-27-2011, 12:10 PM
No problem...I am just playing devil's advocate here. My only "feeling" on this is that the punishment didn't fit the crime.

Agreed. Should have been fined. Don't pay the fine, then you go to jail.

JustAFan
01-27-2011, 12:12 PM

From what I read and saw on the tv, that is exactly what happened. She was fined the cost of the tuition for her kids ($30K) and told the judge she wasn't going to pay it (and who could really afford $30K?). So is the jail time for sending her kids to the school? Or refusing to do what the judge ordered?

Ranger Mom
01-27-2011, 12:12 PM

I guess she was fined with a $30,000 tuition bill that she refused to pay!

Black_Magic
01-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Heck, if the woman wanted the kids to attend a particular school then she should have moved into the district just like everyone else had to. Id bet alot of folks would love pay school taxes at a lower rate in one place and then send the kids to another school they think is better. Want the kids to go to that school then pony up and buy in that district like everyone else does that goes there.

I think Jail is too stiff though. Make her make up the difference in tax money she should have been paying with penalty and pay for the court costs to prosicute her. That would be fair I think. Not Jail though.

Ranger Mom
01-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Heck, if the woman wanted the kids to attend a particular school then she should have moved into the district just like everyone else had to. Id bet alot of folks would love pay school taxes at a lower rate in one place and then send the kids to another school they think is better. Want the kids to go to that school then pony up and buy in that district like everyone else does that goes there.

I think Jail is too stiff though. Make her make up the difference in tax money she should have been paying with penalty and pay for the court costs to prosicute her. That would be fair I think. Not Jail though.

That is my feeling on it!! Ten days in jail, 3 years probation and community service is just too much.

Pedophiles get off with less punishment!!

LoboesWT
01-27-2011, 12:50 PM
If she truly cared about her children's education, then get involved in the district she lives in and become an advocate for improved standards. Don't just lie and move her children to another district. What does that teach her children? She is guilty but does not deserve Jail time. Stupidity is her Jail time.

Ernest T Bass
01-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
If she truly cared about her children's education
HER children, not the rest of the kids.

AP Panther Fan
01-27-2011, 01:05 PM
Agreed, too much.

I am curious about something though and I am sure one or more of you can set me straight.

With the "No Child Left Behind Act" if a district gets an unacceptable campus rating can't parents transfer their children to another district (that is accepting transfers) without penalty? Granted, we don't know that the district she lives in is "unacceptable". Along those same lines, if that transfer does occur, doesn't the "unacceptable" district not only lose funding for the transferred students, but also has to pay the district that the child(ren) transfer to?

I tend to confuse federal and state stuff.

LoboesWT
01-27-2011, 01:07 PM
HER children, not the rest of the kids.

True, I see your point. She was only concerned about her children. Then guilty and Jail time deserved, if she is not going to pay the fine. Or due the truly noble gesture and the more difficult route and fix the situation or district she was living in at the time. She basically taught her children to cheat the system if they want to succeed. Heck, she ought to run for a Political office.:D

Black_Magic
01-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Well In my oppinion the true one thing that has the biggest impact on education is Parents. I believe that a huge thing that determines the success of a kid is the parents being very involved in looking at the kids academic success. Making sure they do the best they can cant be done by the teacher. The parent has the ultimate power in making sure the kid does the very best they can. I think that the main thing that separates many districts in preformance is Parents. Some schools are filled with a particular kind of kid and parents. if they tend to be more demanding of the kids success then I think the kids try harder. Some schools are filled with kids whos parents dont really expect that much or are not involved in the kids success so I think they dont do as well.... Just My take on it.

GrTigers6
01-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Well In my oppinion the true one thing that has the biggest impact on education is Parents. I believe that a huge thing that determines the success of a kid is the parents being very involved in looking at the kids academic success. Making sure they do the best they can cant be done by the teacher. The parent has the ultimate power in making sure the kid does the very best they can. I think that the main thing that separates many districts in preformance is Parents. Some schools are filled with a particular kind of kid and parents. if they tend to be more demanding of the kids success then I think the kids try harder. Some schools are filled with kids whos parents dont really expect that much or are not involved in the kids success so I think they dont do as well.... Just My take on it. I agree. It seems to me that if parents would spend as much time helping there kids with their academics as they do with their athletics then they would be a lot more successful in both.:thinking:

Ernest T Bass
01-27-2011, 01:47 PM
No no no! It's the education system that's failing our kids, not our kids failing. Everyone knows that!

Farmersfan
01-27-2011, 02:31 PM
I seriously doubt that she was paying school taxes in either district. If the state was footing the bill to begin with what difference does it make where she goes?

To me it sounds like this woman expects to be on the OBAMA plan for education just like she will soon be on the OBAMA plan for health insurance!!!! We certainly should understand by now that in this country you aren't entitled to what you can afford! You are entitled to what everyone else can afford!

44INAROW
01-27-2011, 02:33 PM
so are they going to start prosecuting parents for lying about where they live so their kids can play for a certain coach or school? Just curious.. I think they've opened up a can of worms here.

bobcat1
01-27-2011, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
so are they going to start prosecuting parents for lying about where they live so their kids can play for a certain coach or school? Just curious.. I think they've opened up a can of worms here. Depends on how good an athlete they are.:p

44INAROW
01-27-2011, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Depends on how good an athlete they are.:p

I am ROFL yep, you're right.. :D