PDA

View Full Version : Transfer for Academic Reasons?

Bullaholic
01-26-2011, 03:26 PM
We all know about the transfer for athletic reasons cases, but how about a transfer for academic reasons? Should the mom in the following case be charged?

Illegal Academic Transfer Charges (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/01/26/mxp.smith.school.address.hln?hpt=T2)

Ranger Mom
01-26-2011, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
We all know about the transfer for athletic reasons cases, but how about a transfer for academic reasons? Should the mom in the following case be charged?

Illegal Academic Transfer Charges (http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2011/01/26/mxp.smith.school.address.hln?hpt=T2)

I heard about that on Good Morning America. I don't think she deserves a jail sentence for it.

jason
01-26-2011, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I heard about that on Good Morning America. I don't think she deserves a jail sentence for it.

agreed...

but she shouldn't have tried to cheat the system...

bobcat1
01-26-2011, 03:42 PM
I mean seriously, don't folks in Ohio have criminals? I guess not. So they go looking for a lying Mom? Backwards folks do backwards stuff.

Ranger Mom
01-26-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by jason
agreed...

but she shouldn't have tried to cheat the system...

Correct....but two wrongs don't make a right!!

This happens in Greenwood all the time...the kids just aren't allowed to attend there until they can show proof that they LIVE in the district....or pay the "tuition."

The school has never had anyone jailed over it though...seems a big extreme. Jail a single mom who is the sole support of her kids??

Ernest T Bass
01-26-2011, 04:12 PM
Jail? No. Fine? Yes. Arrest if fine is not paid? Yes.

JustAFan
01-26-2011, 04:15 PM
Saw on the news that she was given the opportunity to pay the tuition and she refused. Not sure how long the kids went to that school, or how many kids, but the tuition was $30K. Seems like a lot, but she was provided an opportunity to avoid jail time. Of course, it is a whole lot easier just to follow the law and not lie on the document that says you can be prosecuted for lying about your residence.

AP Panther Fan
01-26-2011, 04:19 PM
They (the school district) want to fine her $30,000 for the 2 years her kids went there? Did I hear that right?

Seems backward to me. Here (in Texas) the State pays the district a daily rate for student attendance. I must be missing something...real property tax income? Still doesn't make sense since I bet her Dad pays property taxes. Enlighten me.

JustAFan
01-26-2011, 04:26 PM
Even here in Texas most districts have something in the residency portion for enrollment that says that lying about residency is a misdemeanor and can result in a $3000 fine (allowed by law) and full restitution for the cost of education. In my district the state says we spend around $5000 per student per year. 2 kids, 2 years would be $20,000 plus $3,000 fine twice is $26,000, if the district took the parents to court.

Ranger Mom
01-26-2011, 04:30 PM
If a family living in Midland wants their children to go to Greenwood without living in the district, it used to be around $1,200 per student per year, or appx. what we pay in taxes. I pay twice that much in taxes now, so don't know if it has been raised or not.

The mom was 12 hours away from having some sort of teaching degree..,.(not sure if it talked about that in the above video, I didn't watch it)...but on GMA they said because she now has a felony on her record, she may never be allowed to teach.

JustAFan
01-26-2011, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
The mom was 12 hours away from having some sort of teaching degree..,.(not sure if it talked about that in the above video, I didn't watch it)...but on GMA they said because she now has a felony on her record, she may never be allowed to teach.

This almost makes it scarier! Would you want someone teaching your children who believes it is ok to break the law when it comes to her own?

Ranger Mom
01-26-2011, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by JustAFan
This almost makes it scarier! Would you want someone teaching your children who believes it is ok to break the law when it comes to her own?

The teachers that sleep with their underage students scare me more!!

I am not saying she was right....but I don't blame her for wanting a better education for her daughters...she just didn't go about it in the right way. Since her own dad lives in the school district, she should have just moved in with him....but there is a lot more to this story than what is in that video.

JustAFan
01-26-2011, 04:41 PM
I agree. And, as usual, what could have been taken care of in a simple (and legal) way ended up being bad and making a big news story.

AP Panther Fan
01-26-2011, 04:46 PM
Well, I think it is just ridiculous, illegal or not. They must want new field turf.:dispntd:

Ernest T Bass
01-26-2011, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Well, I think it is just ridiculous, illegal or not. They must want new field turf.:dispntd:

Hope it's colored turf, and not that boring green crap!

Blastoderm55
01-26-2011, 04:55 PM
Could she swap the roles of Cam and Cecil Newton and claim that her daughters transferred without her knowledge? It was ok for Cam to plead ignorance...

AP Panther Fan
01-26-2011, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Hope it's colored turf, and not that boring green crap!

It must be...the expensive stuff!