PDA

View Full Version : Marathons

hollywood
01-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Any marathon runners on here? I'm training for my 4th. Not sure if I'll have the miles in to make Cowtown by the end of February. If not, I'll run the half and find a full to run in March or April.

Old LB
01-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Like to run, too many miles takes a toll on the knees anymore though. Never ran a marathon, a few 5Ks. Enjoy biking though, a lot easier on the knees.

Saggy Aggie
01-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Most i've done is a few 5K's, but I've got an uncle who ran a half marathon and I've got a friend on the A&M triathlon team that has been running marathons for a few years, among other things (biking, swimming, etc).

I usually just run 2 miles every other day.

TexDad
01-25-2011, 10:18 PM
I have run 5, last one in 2008. Ran for over 25 years, like at least 25-30 miles a week. Right now recovering from knee surgery!!!!!!!!

bobcat1
01-25-2011, 10:21 PM
I made it to the frig when my beer was empty.:D

Old LB
01-25-2011, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1

You don't have a wife?:confused:

bobcat1
01-25-2011, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
You don't have a wife?:confused: Out of town.:mad:

orange machine
01-26-2011, 12:19 AM

No offense, but that is obvious!!!:D I owed you one for calling me a redneck.

orange machine
01-26-2011, 12:21 AM
I just dont see the fun in running, i mean really it hurts your legs burn, you get tired and if your like me you get half way done and your like why in the world am i doing this to myself when i can just walk.

Saggy Aggie
01-26-2011, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
I just dont see the fun in running, i mean really it hurts your legs burn, you get tired and if your like me you get half way done and your like why in the world am i doing this to myself when i can just walk. It's really not that big of a chore if you're in halfway decent shape. I run a couple miles every couple days to stay in shape and I do a 5K every now and then to 1) help whatever cause it is and 2) continue running.

My best friend ran cross country in HS and he got me into running. I've got my mile time down to just below 6 mins. It's nothing impressive, but its a big improvement over before, and its kinda nice to be able to do things without getting winded too bad.

RoyceTTU
01-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by hollywood
Any marathon runners on here? I'm training for my 4th. Not sure if I'll have the miles in to make Cowtown by the end of February. If not, I'll run the half and find a full to run in March or April.

I've ran a few 5K's. From time to time I'll get out of the house and go jogging and push out 5 or 6 miles but thats the most. I like to jog when I'm in a new town either vacationing or on business travel. Running around town at home gets a bit boring for me. I have more fun lifting weights or doing P90x and Insanity.

A marathon would be something to be proud of. That isn't something that can be done without a lot of prep. I congrat you :clap:

GrTigers6
01-26-2011, 12:44 PM
You don't have a wife?:confused: Or Kids? :D
or a very well trained dog?

hollywood
01-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Like to run, too many miles takes a toll on the knees anymore though. Never ran a marathon, a few 5Ks. Enjoy biking though, a lot easier on the knees.

Yeah, the knees can take a toll, especially if either knee has had issues before. But the benefits the rest of your body gets from running is amazing.

hollywood
01-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Now you can make a marathon out of that! But you might not find the fridge after 4-5 hours of pounding.;)

Beer is actually a good source for carbing up IMO.

hollywood
01-26-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
I just dont see the fun in running, i mean really it hurts your legs burn, you get tired and if your like me you get half way done and your like why in the world am i doing this to myself when i can just walk.

You'd be amazed at how good your body starts to feel after 3-4 weeks of running. I had never ran further than 3 miles before January 2008. I was all ways a sprinter... get there fast then collapse. This long distance stuff took a lot of training to get used to, but I am so glad that I did.

hollywood
01-26-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
I've ran a few 5K's. From time to time I'll get out of the house and go jogging and push out 5 or 6 miles but thats the most. I like to jog when I'm in a new town either vacationing or on business travel. Running around town at home gets a bit boring for me. I have more fun lifting weights or doing P90x and Insanity.

A marathon would be something to be proud of. That isn't something that can be done without a lot of prep. I congrat you :clap:

That's great... running in new towns or places is a good way to see a town at a different perspective.

The marathon was a hidden bucket list goal I had often dreamed of doing and in 2008, I completed my first and have been hooked since. Running with a group makes it much easier.

hollywood
01-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Just some reading for those of you wondering what the benefits of running are.

Benefits of Running (http://completerunning.com/archives/2006/10/17/running-it-really-is-good-for-you/)

I know now that we were all designed to run. That's how the good Lord made us. Honor and respect your body. Any abled person can be a runner. Most doctors say running is bad for the knees or legs and should find another form of exercise to stay fit. Not true... it strengthens the bones, muscles, heart, and not to mention, the mind. Studies show that the benefits of running far exceed the negatives.

The great Jack Lalanne died at 96 this past Sunday... he was the godfather of fitness. His mato on eating was that if man made it, he didn't eat it. I know that's almost impossible for most of us to imagine, but I try to eat more fresh foods with less preservatives... you'll feel way better. He's known as one of the fittest people to ever have lived. Look him up, he accomplished some amazing things over his life.

Another good read that I found over the holidays was Born To Run (http://www.borntorun.org/). If you were like me 3 years ago... running seemed boring and pointless. But now that I've been running for several years now, it's lead to new friends, new life goals, a better overall fit person and the realization that actually we were all born to run.

TexDad
01-26-2011, 06:09 PM
I always trained for at least 6 months before doing a marathon. Gradually building up mileage and increasing my long runs which I did every other weekend to were I could run at least 20 miles. I live in the hill country so 20 miles here in pretty hard. I figured if I could do 20 miles of hills, then one of those flat or downhill marathons would be a piece of cake. Greatest accomplishment was a 3:28 in Chicago.

hollywood
01-26-2011, 06:20 PM
Those hills in the Hill Country are a challenge I bet. I usually train with a 14-16 week marathon schedule. I usually hit 1-2 20 milers in the training schedule but will only hit one in this training. A 3:28 is a good accomplishment! My goal is to qualify for Boston. I would have to run a 3:15:59 to do so. Probably not going to happen this year, but maybe by next year.

TexDad
01-26-2011, 07:12 PM
I tried to qualify for Boston when I ran Chicago, but came up 8 minutes short. Now my knees won't allow me to run those distances again. Good luck with your training, I know how hard it is..........

hollywood
01-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by TexDad
I tried to qualify for Boston when I ran Chicago, but came up 8 minutes short. Now my knees won't allow me to run those distances again. Good luck with your training, I know how hard it is..........

Now that's close! Eight minutes??? A good friend of mine missed his first time to try and qualify by 9 seconds!! He qualified a month later in Dallas with a 3:28 but was too late getting in the 2010 Boston. Registration cutoff happened to be the Friday before his first attempt. He's is in for this years 2011 Boston.

My best is 3:58 and hope to get down to the 3:40 time the next marathon. I always do well with the pace until I hit miles 20-22... then the dreaded "wall" hits me!

Got a 16 miler tomorrow then another 20 miler next Saturday. Then, we start tapering down the mileage from there. Thanks for the luck... gonna need a little.

hollywood
01-31-2011, 04:37 PM
Well, after last Saturday morning's 16 miler, I've decided to register for the Cowtown Half Marathon instead of the Full. Ran the first 12 much faster than anticipated averaging 7:40/mile, then grinded out the last 4. Only averaged 9:03/mile the last 4 miles. Just about whooped me.... you can tell where the tank went dry!

Still have 3.5 weeks to train and get a little faster for the half in hopes of a PR. Shooting for a sub 1hr and 40min 13.1 miler. Then stick to the full training program for plans of a full 26.2 in April. Maybe the Big "D" Texas Marathon on April 11th.

Anyone else training for a 5K, 10K, Half, or Full marathon?

TexDad
01-31-2011, 05:56 PM
I can remember training for one of my marathons and decided to run a half marathon about two weeks before the full as a training run, was going to take it easy but felt so good ended up running a PR for a half. Ran a 1:28............sometimes you just feel like running.......

TexDad
01-31-2011, 05:59 PM
Also, My oldest daughter ran her first half marathon sunday in Austin, she finished which was her goal. I went and cheered her on, found out how much I really miss running......

FB-fanatic
02-01-2011, 10:56 PM
My wife has run in 4 - Dallas Whiterock twice, Austin Motorola, and Chicago. Favorite has been Whiterock. Chicago was fun for the whole family; even took the mother-in-law, but wife said it was way too crowded. If you get stuck in the wrong pace group, you will never get caught up. She still runs 5 miles a day weekdays and 12 on Saturday. Sleeps in until church time on Sunday.

hollywood
02-02-2011, 12:36 PM
I can remember training for one of my marathons and decided to run a half marathon about two weeks before the full as a training run, was going to take it easy but felt so good ended up running a PR for a half. Ran a 1:28............sometimes you just feel like running.......

Easy to get sucked into a pace group... especially when you're feeling it. Nice PR! As far as exercising goes;) , there's no better feeling than when you are in that zone during a run and you feel like you can run for days.

hollywood
02-02-2011, 12:38 PM
Also, My oldest daughter ran her first half marathon sunday in Austin, she finished which was her goal. I went and cheered her on, found out how much I really miss running......

Thats' awesome! Inspiring others to run is one of the best gifts in my opinion.

hollywood
02-02-2011, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by FB-fanatic
My wife has run in 4 - Dallas Whiterock twice, Austin Motorola, and Chicago. Favorite has been Whiterock. Chicago was fun for the whole family; even took the mother-in-law, but wife said it was way too crowded. If you get stuck in the wrong pace group, you will never get caught up. She still runs 5 miles a day weekdays and 12 on Saturday. Sleeps in until church time on Sunday.

Chicago seems fast. I did Whiterock in '09 and liked it as well. I'd like to run New York, Houston, and of course Boston. Austin maybe okay, lots of hills I've heard.:(

After getting up at 5am every morning to run during the week... getting up at 8am on Sunday is sleeping for me!

hollywood
02-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Think I'll go out for a snow run this evening... I HATE treadmills! Glad I've got insurance!:D

hollywood
02-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Wife about knocked my head off when she found out I ran in the ice/snow last Thursday. She just doesn't understand how much I can't stand treadmills!

Ran 20 miles yesterday morning before church. Burned 2,600 calories so I had a guiltless pregame Super Bowl gorging session. Legs feel good today.

On the downhill slope of the training now. Just 2 semi long runs left... A 12 miler this Saturday and a 8 miler the next.

hollywood
02-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Heck yeah! Well boys and girls, I've made the decision... I'm running the full marathon at Cowtown this Sunday instead of the half. Training has gone much better than expected for the 26.2 miler. I've lost 15 lbs since Jan 1. I actually weigh less now than I did in HS. That's crazy being that I thought I was fit back then as a running back and safety. Running is GOOD.

Extended forecast is looking to be near perfect conditions with start temp being 40 degrees with little wind.

Anyone else running in the Cowtown this year? Should be a record year. Last year there were over 20,000 runners ranging from 5K's to the Ultra Marathon.

If anyone is interested in getting started running, please pm me... It's changed my health and life for the better over the last 3 years. I have a list of great starter programs I can share or direct you to. It's a great way to get off of the meds for high blood pressure, anxiety, high cholesterol, or diabetes.

RoyceTTU
02-25-2011, 12:58 PM
Heck yeah! Well boys and girls, I've made the decision... I'm running the full marathon at Cowtown this Sunday instead of the half. Training has gone much better than expected for the 26.2 miler. I've lost 15 lbs since Jan 1. I actually weigh less now than I did in HS. That's crazy being that I thought I was fit back then as a running back and safety. Running is GOOD.

Extended forecast is looking to be near perfect conditions with start temp being 40 degrees with little wind.

Anyone else running in the Cowtown this year? Should be a record year. Last year there were over 20,000 runners ranging from 5K's to the Ultra Marathon.

If anyone is interested in getting started running, please pm me... It's changed my health and life for the better over the last 3 years. I have a list of great starter programs I can share or direct you to. It's a great way to get off of the meds for high blood pressure, anxiety, high cholesterol, or diabetes.

Good Luck :clap: :clap: :clap:

ccmom
02-25-2011, 01:47 PM

I have 3 friends (4 counting you) that will be running in the Cowtown. Good luck! :clap:

Cam
02-25-2011, 02:17 PM

I can hook you up with my cousin. He's a cop in Sugarland and a die hard marathoner. Qualifies for Boston Marathon every year. And he's like 42. One thing for sure, as a cop, he's never lost a foot chase! :D An incredible athlete.

hollywood
02-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Good Luck :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks buddy! I'll need it.

hollywood
02-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
I have 3 friends (4 counting you) that will be running in the Cowtown. Good luck! :clap:

Awesome. Thanks for the luck. NO red wine for me this week. Sunday afternoon... cheers!

hollywood
02-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Cam
I can hook you up with my cousin. He's a cop in Sugarland and a die hard marathoner. Qualifies for Boston Marathon every year. And he's like 42. One thing for sure, as a cop, he's never lost a foot chase! :D An incredible athlete.

Boston is on my bucket list. I can get there with some serious training. Foot chases in Sugarland??... nah! lol Sounds like he's pretty darn fit.

Phil C
02-25-2011, 05:38 PM
This is a great movie about running on youtube. Don't worry. It has no xrated scenes and is a great 1966 movie with Cornel Wilde. It is set in 1866 Africa. Enjoy. A lot of running as Cornel runs for his life and much suspense indeed. Run Cornel Run!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7w5Esx9bMA

Phil C
02-25-2011, 05:45 PM
This is another great movie made in 1956 called Run for the Sun and you can watch it on you tube. It is set about ten years after WW2 and watch Richard Widmark and Jane Greer run from Nazis hiding in South America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q313zzHC2F4

hollywood
02-25-2011, 05:47 PM
Sunday's forecast isn't looking as favorable as it was 5 days ago. Should have known.
Low of 50* (pretty warm for the start) and a high of of 79*.
The kicker... winds out of the South at 20 mph!!! Humidity... 65%!!!:eek:

Positive... I'm in the best shape of my life and the last 7 of 8 miles (in the TCU/Colonial area:) ) are downhill with the wind.:clap:

I'll post my results next week. :1popcorn:

Thanks for the luck everyone!

hollywood
02-25-2011, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
This is a great movie about running on youtube. Don't worry. It has no xrated scenes and is a great 1966 movie with Cornel Wilde. It is set in 1866 Africa. Enjoy. A lot of running as Cornel runs for his life and much suspense indeed. Run Cornel Run!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7w5Esx9bMA

Another great movie about running is Forrest Gump. "Just felt like run-ning"

hollywood
02-25-2011, 05:55 PM
This is another great movie made in 1956 called Run for the Sun and you can watch it on you tube. It is set about ten years after WW2 and watch Richard Widmark and Jane Greer run from Nazis hiding in South America.

Actually, for anyone that has Netflix, there's a movie/documentary called "Spirit of the Marathon"... it's pretty awesome.

Spirit of the Marathon (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/Spirit-of-the-Marathon/70104240)

hollywood
02-25-2011, 05:59 PM

Phil, have you watched the The Flying Scotsman (http://www.netflix.com/Movie/The-Flying-Scotsman/70065852) ?

Pretty good cycling movie.

hollywood
02-28-2011, 06:02 PM
One word for yesterday's Cowtown marathon...

BRUTAL!!!!

My goodness. Woke up at 5am, looked at the current weather conditions... 68*, humidty at 88%, winds out of the South 15 mph... and thought :eek: :eek: :eek: !!! Knew it was going to be tough, but wow. North Main was like a freaking wind tunnel heading South towards downtown. I learned this... 8 weeks is NOT enough time get be ready for a marathon in those conditions.

Time?... a grueling 4 hours and 10 minutes. 25 minutes behind my goal time. Ran right next to the Colonial Country Club at miles 20-22 and didn't even think about golf... now that's bad.

Highlights... I burned 3510 calories, consumed 2 bananas, 3 gel packets, 1 mini Snicker's, about 6 bottles of water (not enough), a cup of beer along the way, a friend qualified for Boston, and I got my 4th finishers metal.

This week is rest/recovery week, then it's on to more training with a friend who's running Boston in April.

RoyceTTU
03-01-2011, 11:43 AM

BRUTAL!!!!

My goodness. Woke up at 5am, looked at the current weather conditions... 68*, humidty at 88%, winds out of the South 15 mph... and thought :eek: :eek: :eek: !!! Knew it was going to be tough, but wow. North Main was like a freaking wind tunnel heading South towards downtown. I learned this... 8 weeks is NOT enough time get be ready for a marathon in those conditions.

Time?... a grueling 4 hours and 10 minutes. 25 minutes behind my goal time. Ran right next to the Colonial Country Club at miles 20-22 and didn't even think about golf... now that's bad.

Highlights... I burned 3510 calories, consumed 2 bananas, 3 gel packets, 1 mini Snicker's, about 6 bottles of water (not enough), a cup of beer along the way, a friend qualified for Boston, and I got my 4th finishers metal.

This week is rest/recovery week, then it's on to more training with a friend who's running Boston in April.

Congrats man!!! Keep it up, you can do it.

ccmom
03-01-2011, 04:04 PM

BRUTAL!!!!

Some friends of mine had a "Bananas, Beer and Bloody Mary Party" at mile 16. Did you stop there and that's what delayed your time? :thinking:

;)

Congrats to you!! That is quite an accomplishment!! :clap:

hollywood
03-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Some friends of mine had a "Bananas, Beer and Bloody Mary Party" at mile 16. Did you stop there and that's what delayed your time? :thinking:

;)

Congrats to you!! That is quite an accomplishment!! :clap:

So that's how friends of ccmom roll?? LOL There were plenty of hospitable patrons along the course supporting the insanity!

Actually miles 16-18 were a blur for me... I seriously tried to locate the first person I could see that had a cell phone I could borrow to call my wife to come pick me up. First time I've ever had thoughts of dropping out. Course started heading down hilll from there...

Thanks for your kind words. :blush:

hollywood
01-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Livestrong Austin Marathon is next on my schedule. Feb 19th.
Cowtown Half Marathon a week after that. Feb 26th.

Anyone else have any running events on their schedule?

Old LB
01-04-2012, 11:52 AM

Planning on running down to the beer store on Friday! :wave:

hollywood
01-04-2012, 04:16 PM
Planning on running down to the beer store on Friday! :wave:

That works too!

I used to have to run to Comanche County for beer! But even through this drought, Erath County is still wet.

hollywood
01-26-2012, 10:36 AM
Downlowers... anyone running the Benbrook Half marathon this Saturday?

I'm hoping to PR in the half this weekend. Weather should be perfect at 33 degrees at the start. Engine runs goooood at cooler temps.

raider red 2000
01-26-2012, 11:22 AM

i will be there as a spectator. two co-workers and my sister are running the half there in Austin. My sister is going to do the half iron man in Galveston in April.

hollywood
01-26-2012, 05:44 PM
That's great! The Ironman Half is something I've always wanted to try.

Interesting article on this guy. An 81 year old Ironman! I actually cycled with this guy a year ago in Glen Rose. He's a true BEAST!! :2thumbsup

http://www.lewhollander.com/

http://ironman.com/columns/ironmanlife/matthew-dale-profiles-the-amazing-80-year-old-ironman-finisher#axzz1kbhMQAvq

hollywood
01-30-2012, 04:07 PM
Marathon udpate:

Well... I PR'd at the Benbrook Half. 1:38:""... The stiff north wind was horrific the last 3 miles. "NICE" hill was mean at miles 6 and 8. But gutted it out. Count down for Austin is 20 days away. Hoping to PR in the full marathon there. We will see. Never know until race day.

BEAST
01-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Marathon udpate:

Well... I PR'd at the Benbrook Half. 1:38:""... The stiff north wind was horrific the last 3 miles. "NICE" hill was mean at miles 6 and 8. But gutted it out. Count down for Austin is 20 days away. Hoping to PR in the full marathon there. We will see. Never know until race day.

Congrats on the PR. Good luck in Austin.

BEAST

hollywood
02-01-2012, 06:07 PM
Congrats on the PR. Good luck in Austin.

BEAST

Thanks Brotha! Going to be tough.

raider red 2000
01-15-2013, 11:45 AM

I know this thread is 2 years old- but I wanted to share

Ran Houston on Sunday - first one

race report

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/455d49912051409086fe75a5dc43d69a/resume#focus

ccmom
01-15-2013, 11:50 AM

race report

http://www.runningahead.com/groups/BF_and_Beyond/forum/455d49912051409086fe75a5dc43d69a/resume#focus

Congrats!!! Fantastic accoplishment!

Roughneck93
01-16-2013, 07:07 PM

race report

Congrats raider red! :2thumbsup

That's something I'd love to do. I've been logging nearly 2,500 miles per year for ten years now, but have yet to enter in any type of running event. Sooner or later I hope to mark it off of my bucket list.

Scoop27
01-16-2013, 11:13 PM
East Bernard cross country coach Susie Walters has run marathons all over the US over the past 12 plus years and did well. She missed this years Houston Marathon after undergoing ankle surgery last year. She is one of the best 2A coaches in the state with her teams going to the state meet every year. She was a graduate of Brazos in Wallis and played on the volleyball team which won a Class A state championship
Her husband Wayne Walters was once a head EB football coach and let the Brahmas several times to the playoffs and once lost to Refugio in the quarterfinals. He was also a junior high coach and won several district championships. He retired from coaching and teaching a few years ago and is now a shoe salesman near Katy. He is still active in the community. He was a Brazosport graduate.