PDA

View Full Version : University of Phoenix Online

Saggy Aggie
01-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I know someone who's doing it, and a lot of people make fun of it and say it's a joke of a degree, etc.

What do you think? Do you think it's straight bs as opposed to an actual university? Do you think much is learned? Do you think it adequately provides you with the knowledge you need for the degree? Do employers take that seriously? Do you know anyone who has done it and what did they think?

BaseballUmp
01-24-2011, 11:22 PM
Hell, they have their own stadium haha

jason
01-24-2011, 11:26 PM
i would say it's on par with itt technical institute.....

big daddy russ
01-24-2011, 11:29 PM
I can't speak for Phoenix specifically, but my wife's first job teaching at the collegiate level was at one of their competitors, and she doesn't think they're very legit. The university rode her for giving "paying customers" (exact quote) failing grades in her class.

BTW, she taught college English, and the class in question was a remedial class that used the EXACT same coursework she gives to her 3rd grade bilingual students. And while English may not be necessary in every field, these were a lot of business students.

I don't know about job placement after they graduate and I can't speak for their technical programs, but tell him a place like TSTA is a much safer bet.

Blastoderm55
01-24-2011, 11:29 PM
They're doing something right because more state colleges and universities are expanding their online course offerings to meet the demand of under-served students who've looked to the for-profit schools for flexibility and opportunity. I'll personally be done with my BBA from University of Houston - Victoria this December, and the entire curriculum has been online, which is vital for someone like me who works full-time. I think the key to legitimacy rests in the accreditation. There's a reason those ITT commercials state credits won't transfer.

Saggy Aggie
01-24-2011, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by jason
i would say it's on par with itt technical institute..... So they both suck?

wildstangs
01-24-2011, 11:35 PM
If at all possible, I would look into some of the other online schools. My cousin got a degree from Phoenix (granted it was an associates and finding a job is tough these days) and she can't sniff employment.

My wife is taking classes from Grand Canyon University, which we were very hesitant about. After further research though, we figured out that it is actually a real college that even has sports teams.

I am taking classes through Lamar online - I believe they have some undergrad programs you can do as well.

Saggy Aggie
01-24-2011, 11:36 PM
Yeah, I know someone graduating in like 2 months from Phoenix online and they're stoked.

I mean, it's an accomplishment, but I don't wanna be the one to burst her bubble and tell her most people would die laughing knowing she paid upwards of 40K for that.

And yes more schools are expanding their online courses, but I've seen some at A&M and they're much easier than regular classes, mainly because all the assignments/test are open book/notes. It's next to impossible to fail.

Blastoderm55
01-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie

And yes more schools are expanding their online courses, but I've seen some at A&M and they're much easier than regular classes, mainly because all the assignments/test are open book/notes. It's next to impossible to fail.

True, the opportunity is there for an easier ride. Most instructors set pretty strict time limits on exams though. I had a final last semester that was 110 questions in 60 minutes. Not a lot of time to look up answers if you don't know them so i had google open instead tee-hee. For quantitative and technical courses though, you can't really fake it. And lets face it, when taking in-person courses, you cram and cram, then take the test and forget everything you memorized.

Emerson1
01-25-2011, 12:32 AM
If I was an employer and had to choose between two identical people the only difference one had a degree from Phoenix and the other any physical university, it would be a no brainer on who to choose.

eagles_victory
01-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by Saggy Aggie
I know someone who's doing it, and a lot of people make fun of it and say it's a joke of a degree, etc.

What do you think? Do you think it's straight bs as opposed to an actual university? Do you think much is learned? Do you think it adequately provides you with the knowledge you need for the degree? Do employers take that seriously? Do you know anyone who has done it and what did they think? I think you ask too many questions.

GrTigers6
01-25-2011, 08:46 AM
I have looked into both them and Kaplan and both just seem a little shaky to me. I do need to find a school close that I can take most of the courses online because I would like to finish my school even though its been 20 years since I started.

Z-RO
01-27-2011, 04:19 AM
I have first had knowledge of them and from experience I would tell you to avoid them like the plague. All they are after is their money! I attended classes their up until I had somewhere around 66 or so credits, after I did a little digging I found out that Texas did not accept their bachelors degree for education. Nobody from the school had told me that, and only admitted to it once I said something about it. They were going to let me pay all that money knowing that it was not going to do me any good.

Anyways I transferred to Ashford University which is an actual college in Clinton, Iowa and they took all my credits (most of them ended up being electives though, but at least I got credit for them). Emerson is right, a degree from a University with a physical campus..basketball team..etc holds a lot more weight in the eyes of an employer compared to something saying the university of phoenix.

jason
01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
we had a lady in my computer lab yesterday griping about the university not accepting hours for transfer that she completed at univ of phoenix...

she did that right after she was telling (bragging) the people she was with that her grades were basically given to her without actually having to doing any of the course work....

gomeangreen
01-27-2011, 12:36 PM
Not to insult anyone on here but I am constantly hiring for positions all over the state--A college degree is not needed for most positions but I would never consider hiring anyone based on an education online. It is the same to me as the University of Mexico City.

Just my thought

Ernest T Bass
01-27-2011, 01:14 PM
Everyone Ive ever met with a degree from U of Phoenix or something like it has made wonder how they finished high school, much less a bachelors degree.

Emerson1
01-27-2011, 01:21 PM
Does anyone know someone who went through the Dallas Nursing Institute? It's a physical school, but its 3X the cost of a real university and I am trying to convince a friend they are better off looking elsewhere. It's something like $17K for a 13 month LVN program.

GrTigers6
01-27-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Does anyone know someone who went through the Dallas Nursing Institute? It's a physical school, but its 3X the cost of a real university and I am trying to convince a friend they are better off looking elsewhere. It's something like $17K for a 13 month LVN program. My daughter is going thru the Tarleton nursing program and I think the entire two years is only 19K.

Emerson1
01-27-2011, 01:54 PM
What's her name, height, weight, place of residence? :D

Blastoderm55
01-27-2011, 02:04 PM
Does anyone know someone who went through the Dallas Nursing Institute? It's a physical school, but its 3X the cost of a real university and I am trying to convince a friend they are better off looking elsewhere. It's something like $17K for a 13 month LVN program.

Its probably high because its a private, for-profit school and not a state-funded school. A lot of community colleges offer the same LVN certification and it would likely be cheaper.

JustAFan
01-27-2011, 02:10 PM
An alternative for those teachers/coaches out there looking for a Master's program is Lamar University's program. It is all online, around 18 months, with a total cost of aroudn $6,000 pay as you go.

Blastoderm55
01-27-2011, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by JustAFan
An alternative for those teachers/coaches out there looking for a Master's program is Lamar University's program. It is all online, around 18 months, with a total cost of aroudn $6,000 pay as you go.

UHV (www.uhv.edu) offers an online program as well.
Programs are also offered through:
http://www.texasteachingfellows.org/
http://www.teachforamerica.org/

Emerson1
01-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
Its probably high because its a private, for-profit school and not a state-funded school. A lot of community colleges offer the same LVN certification and it would likely be cheaper.
I don't see why anyone would want to go there unless they couldn't get into a legit program. Seems like they will accept anyone who can afford it.

GrTigers6
01-27-2011, 03:53 PM
What's her name, height, weight, place of residence? :D Kelsey, 5'8" 115 stephenville:D

jason
01-27-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
My daughter is going thru the Tarleton nursing program and I think the entire two years is only 19K. we just got done equipping the college of nursing with a brand new building - it is really nice, and some of the simulation technology we put in is going to be featured in a case study by the manufacturer of the technology...need to get her to give you a tour some time, it is beautiful....

lots of cool nerd gear in it too....:nerd:

Z-RO
01-27-2011, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by gomeangreen
Not to insult anyone on here but I am constantly hiring for positions all over the state--A college degree is not needed for most positions but I would never consider hiring anyone based on an education online. It is the same to me as the University of Mexico City.

Just my thought

Well my degree will not say "Ashford University Online" because it will be from an actual school. Its a four year program and is no different then ACU or Tarelton would be online. http://www.ashford.edu/home/

GrTigers6
01-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by jason
we just got done equipping the college of nursing with a brand new building - it is really nice, and some of the simulation technology we put in is going to be featured in a case study by the manufacturer of the technology...need to get her to give you a tour some time, it is beautiful....

lots of cool nerd gear in it too....:nerd: Yeah she transfered from Texas Tech because of it. and its closer to Daddy, Dont tell her I said that though, she will deny it. :D

jason
01-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
Yeah she transfered from Texas Tech because of it. and its closer to Daddy, Dont tell her I said that though, she will deny it. :D cool - it ought to increase enrollment 100+% because of the space alone...

Emerson1
01-27-2011, 05:04 PM
We've always had a nursing program?

jason
01-27-2011, 05:05 PM
We've always had a nursing program? yes, that small building across from the conoco was their building...

wildstangs
01-27-2011, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by JustAFan

Good program. I am in my third class. If I could just get a professor to answer a question every once in awhile I would call it a "great" program instead of just good.

turbostud
01-27-2011, 09:19 PM
I got my Bachelor's from Ashford University in Iowa, online. I am currently working on a Master's degree from Amberton University in Garland, online.
For those who think an online degree is bogus, take an online class and then try to tell me the same thing. an online class is as difficult, if not more than a traditional setting class. The class I am taking right now I have to write a 25 page research paper on top of weekly assignments.

U of Phoenix may be bogus, I've heard bad things about them, but there are legit schools out there that offer legit degrees. you just have to do the research to find out who is not legit.

My sister just got her masters degree online from Grand Canyon University in Special Education. she will finish her internship in May, recieive her license, and then will open her own practice working with Autistic children making 6 figures.

For those that think online degrees are bogus, tell that to the military. Millions of military members are getting their degree online, while serving their country. And trust me, the process to get funding is not easy. Lots of channels to go through just to get approval and funding.

turbostud
01-27-2011, 09:32 PM

Just my thought

My wife is getting her masters degree at U ofTexas-Pan American(aka Taco Tech) and is amazed at what a joke the school is compared to what I have to do with online classes. she says you literally just have to show up to class to get a B. so not all traditional schools are what you think.

jason
02-09-2011, 05:06 PM
good article about 'for profit' universities

from yahoo - LINK (http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/20110209/ts_yblog_thelookout/why-the-delay-in-for-profit-college-crack-down)

Blastoderm55
02-09-2011, 05:27 PM
Pretty ridiculous stuff, but the gravy train will stop. The Dept of Ed sets a maximum student loan default rate of 25%. If an instituation hits that max, they lose not only access to federal student loans, but to federal grants as well, effectively crippling the institution. Its difficult to imagine that organizations like Phoenix and Kaplan have been able to skirt this restriction so far, but I can see it creeping upon them as the job market becomes more and more bleek for new college graduates.

BaseballUmp
02-10-2011, 01:33 AM

Just my thought

I'll need a job in the SA,SM,ATX area in January. Hook a brotha up? haha

We've always had a nursing program?

I've known 4 or 5 people that have gone to Tarleton for Nursing