PDA

View Full Version : Something of value...

Tin Cup
01-24-2011, 08:41 PM
I have really gotten into shows like Pawn Stars & American Pickers and it go me thinking...

Does anyone on the downlow have an item(s) that they think is rare or of value?

I don't really have anything all that great. A Wade Boggs autograph and a bunch of golf autographs come to mind for me.

coach
01-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
I have really gotten into shows like Pawn Stars & American Pickers and it go me thinking...

Does anyone on the downlow have an item(s) that they think is rare or of value?

I don't really have anything all that great. A Wade Boggs autograph and a bunch of golf autographs come to mind for me.

Autographs:
erik dickerson
nolan ryan
brett hull
mike madano
darrell royal
earl campbell

i have a huge baseball card collection

thats about it for me

rangerjim60
01-24-2011, 08:46 PM
2 shoeboxes of baseball cards my cousin collected in the late 1950's and 1960's. Got 'em hid. There's a few that will help my retirement.

BaseballUmp
01-24-2011, 09:01 PM
A couple Honus Wagner baseball cards and Babe Ruth's 714th homerun ball...no biggie

Daddy D 11
01-24-2011, 09:23 PM
i have 22 MLB Hall of Famers rookie cards, and about 10 more rookie cards that will be Hall of Famers.

Got a signed picture to me of nolan ryan beating the hell out of Ventura lol and just plenty of more sports autographs.

What I prolly have the most money in is old colt pistols and winchester rifles.

bobcat4life
01-24-2011, 09:33 PM
2 Michael Jordan autographed basketball cards

PPHSfan
01-24-2011, 09:41 PM
I have an original movie poster from John Wayne's last film "The Shootist" that I got from the theater in 1976. A friend of mine worked as an usher, and nabbed it for me.

LH Panther Mom
01-24-2011, 10:02 PM
I've never had them appraised, so as far as I know, they're worthless. A number of years ago, my Grandmother gave me a figurine couple, Victorian-looking dress, that are stamped "Made in Occupied Japan" on the bottoms.

I have a couple of billikens - again, I have NO idea of the worth. And frankly, I'm not even certain where I could go to get them appraised.

NastySlot
01-24-2011, 10:08 PM
i got one bird in a hand..........gotta be worth two in the bush.

Blue42
01-24-2011, 11:06 PM
I have been buying and selling Antiques from the time I was 16 so I have 30 years in the biz and have seen some cool and unusual stuff some I still have.

big daddy russ
01-25-2011, 12:10 AM
Autographs:
Otto Graham-football
Joe DiMaggio-8x10
Mickey Mantle-baseball
Paul Hornung-8x10
Sammy Baugh-8x10 of him from his days as a St. Louis Cardinal
Several Nolan Ryan baseballs, other stuff
David Robinson-Piece of hardwood floor from Alamodome
Tim Duncan-"
Johnny Unitas-football card
Len Dawson-"
Earl Morrall (Dolphins QB who finished the undefeated season after Bob Griese went down)-"
Joe Mauer-Autographed home run ball from his minor league days at Fort Myers
Reggie Jackson-Baseball
Will Clark-"
Walk Weiss-" (Neither Clark nor Weiss is really worth anything, but they were two of my favorite players growing up.)
Arnold Palmer-Slide from the presentation at the grand opening of the Palmer Course @ LaCantera (San Antonio)

Rookie cards of any real value:
Gale Sayers 5.5 PSA
Walter Payton 7.5 PSA
Jim Brown 5.0 PSA
OJ Simpson 7.5 PSA
Dan Marino 9.0 PSA
Ken Griffey, Jr. Upperdeck 9.5 PSA
Mike Schmidt (Also has Ron Cey and John Hilton)
Cal Ripken, Jr.
Ozzie Smith

That's about everything I can think of that might be worth something. Most of my other "prized collectables" are more just pieces of history than anything. They're not really worth much.

I have a game-used baseball from the 1994 All-Star game. Each of the San Antonio Express-News editions from the Spurs' championships. I have a couple of Old Judge baseball cards from the 19th century and a couple of early-20th century cards that are all in bad shape and aren't of anyone notable, but I was always more fascinated with the history of those cards than the value.

I've thrown away too much money on that stuff, though, and kind of backed off.

Farmersfan
01-25-2011, 08:51 AM
About 10 years ago my wife's uncle passed away and my oldest son was given a collection of football cards that he had been collectiing since the 50's. A large number of Denver Broncos but also many other players/teams. There were approximately 10 boxes of the packages that had the gum in them (Tops?) that were unopened from as far back as the 60's. I would guess there were probably 1000 cards in the collection. My son never really developed much of an interest so I boxed them up and put them in storage without ever really looking through them. Are there any football cards that are valuable from the 50's on?

Farmersfan
01-25-2011, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
About 10 years ago my wife's uncle passed away and my oldest son was given a collection of football cards that he had been collectiing since the 50's. A large number of Denver Broncos but also many other players/teams. There were approximately 10 boxes of the packages that had the gum in them (Tops?) that were unopened from as far back as the 60's. I would guess there were probably 1000 cards in the collection. My son never really developed much of an interest so I boxed them up and put them in storage without ever really looking through them. Are there any football cards that are valuable from the 50's on?

I almost forgot! I have a small collection of Albums (33's) that I boxed up about 20 years ago for no real reason other than because I no longer used record players. If I remember correctly there was a 1961 original Stevie Wonder (I think he was 15 years old) and the original Buddy Holly story that was basically untouched. I also had an original Star Wars soundtrack album that was never opened that my mother bought for me in 1978 or 1979 because I loved Star Wars so much. She didn't know all the music in the film was classical.

Phil C
01-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Something of Value is also the title of a great 1957 movie with Rock Hudson, Dana Wynter, and Sidney Portier. It is a very good movie about the Mau Mau uprising in Kenya in the early 1950s. It is shown on TCM once in a while. The only fault is that it was filmed in black and white because the color would have been beautiful.

MUSTANG69
01-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Nolan Ryan autographed baseball
Elvin Hayes autographed basketball
Hunter Pence autographed picture(Might be worth something one day)
Shoebox of old baseball cards from the early 60's

raider red 2000
01-25-2011, 09:31 AM
like most people here....sports stuff.
autographs- Ali gloves, jordan basketball, baseball with like 15 or so of the 300 game winners. and a bunch of others.

baseball cards- nolan ryan rookie, several old mickey mantle, jackie robinson rookie card.

my dad collects different things: old board games, spinning tops, yo-yos, soda pop bottles, openers, cigarette lighters. Looks like several rooms of junk, but most of it probably worth something.

pancho villa
01-25-2011, 09:34 AM
I have about 10 pieces of my mothers art work and 40 of my brothers. If they ever make it big I could be sitting on some $$$$

jason
01-25-2011, 09:49 AM
one year for fathers day we got my dad michael irvin and emmitt smith rookie cards...

i have thousands of baseball cards stored away at my parents' house...haven't bough any though in probably 15 years though..

even though sports memorabilia prices have dropped, surely some of them are worth something now...maybe....

bowleghorses
01-25-2011, 09:49 AM
My 1972 Plymouth Satellite... almost restored.:D

Ranger Mom
01-25-2011, 09:54 AM
I have a 12 place setting of some cabbage looking dishes and all the platters, dip bowls, individual salt and pepper shakers, salad bowls, etc. that go along with it.

I looked on ebay and noticed that the salad bowl was going for $150 alone...so I have no clue what the entire collection is worth.

My ex-mother in law gave them to me, she bought them back in the 70's. My 3 kids and those dishes are the only good thing that came out of that marriage!:D

nobogey72
01-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I have an old Parker Brothers 10 ga double barrell shotgun that belonged to my great grandfather that is supposed to be worth some money.

SintonFan
01-25-2011, 11:34 AM
I once had a Winchester model 1901 level action 10 ga...
had 90% original blue.
Sold it cheap.
Dumbest thing I ever done.:doh:

AP Panther Fan
01-25-2011, 06:06 PM
I have Evander Holyfield's autograph on a fight program (when he still had his original two ears).

turbostud
01-25-2011, 06:17 PM
I have Kurt Cobain's autograph.

Old LB
01-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Railroad date nails, these were used in the past when crews would install ties in the tracks. They would put a nail with the year on it to determine the life span of the ties. They no longer use them, I have a small collection from 40s thru 60s. Not really sure what they are worth?

PPHSfan
01-25-2011, 07:00 PM
I just bought the booger that Mark Sanchez wiped on Brunell. Picked it up on eBay for nine dollars.

bobcat1
01-25-2011, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I just bought the booger that Mark Sanchez wiped on Brunell. Picked it up on eBay for nine dollars. So you are now an official booger collector!

crzyjournalist03
01-25-2011, 07:19 PM
I've got a puck autographed by Mike Modano that he signed after it hit me in the head at a game a couple of years ago, but that probably has more value to me than I'd be able to get for it.

Also have a baseball from my childhood that has Ivan Rodriguez, Mark Brandenberg and Ed Vosberg's autographs on it (all from the same day in 1996).

I've got a Derek Jeter rookie card, and a Kobe Bryant rookie card that came in my Sports Illustrated for Kids magazine.

Rabid Cougar
01-25-2011, 07:27 PM
A coke cup and half eaten hotdog from a 2010 Brownwood football game.

LH Panther Mom
01-25-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Evander Holyfield (when he still had his original two ears).
:evillol: :evillol: :evillol: :evillol: :clap:

LIONS#1
01-26-2011, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
A coke cup and half eaten hotdog from a 2010 Brownwood football game.

I am a Hot dog and a Coke cup appraiser and specialize in Brownwood memorabilia. If this came from A Brownwood side trash receptacle or stands then it should bring you some money. If it was Jaxon Shipleys hold on to it for a few years. If it came from the visitors side of the China Springs Game then I would throw it away unless you came to this years Stephenville Game then because of their 4 state championships it would be worth half as much as A Brownwood side half eaten hot dog and Coke cup !! Sorry for the bad news!!
:cool: :thumbsup: :doh:

orange machine
01-26-2011, 12:04 AM
Got two army tanks a Panzer and German Tiger. I like to go out in the pasture and have war games!:D

PPHSfan
01-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
Got two army tanks a Panzer and German Tiger. I like to go out in the pasture and have war games!:D

Why do I not find this hard to believe?

orange machine
01-26-2011, 12:16 AM
Why do I not find this hard to believe?

:iagree: Lol so freakin hard!!!!

orange machine
01-26-2011, 12:18 AM
I like to take my newly lifted Ranger out there as well and pretend its a hummer and that im on the road to bagdad to invade the city!:crazy:

orange machine
01-26-2011, 12:29 AM
On a real note I just sold my grandfathers M1 Grand that was made around WW2 GOT $1200 for it.

AP Panther Fan
01-26-2011, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by orange machine
I like to take my newly lifted Ranger out there as well and pretend its a hummer and that im on the road to bagdad to invade the city!:crazy:

:spitlol: :D

jason
01-26-2011, 11:41 AM
I just bought the booger that Mark Sanchez wiped on Brunell. Picked it up on eBay for nine dollars. dirty sanchez ?