PDA

View Full Version : My first day of Student Teaching started today.

coach
01-24-2011, 12:41 PM
Most of you know I want to be a coach and teacher at the high school level. Well, i was placed in an elementary school for my first assignment for student teaching. Today i began my first day. I started off with Kindergarten P.E! Not my cup of Tea!

This is how the first 5 minutes of class went:

Students come in and sit down and begin their normal routine. The teacher introduces me and we begin class. As we begin stretching a little girl, cute as a button, raises her hand in tears. I look at her to see whats the matter and notice a wet puddle underneath her. I said to my self, "Please, not on the first day." I turn to the teacher and tell him she needs some attention. He then realizes the problem and sends her to the nurse with another little girl. He then gets some kind of cleaning powder substance and sprinkles it over the puddle of pee. Students start asking questions and the teacher does a nice job by saying, "Our friend got sick and I am cleaning it up." Then a student asks, OH NO, did she throw up?"

Then a little african american boy says, Nah, she peed herself N***a!"

The first 5 minutes of my teaching career will be a story i will never forget!

bobcat1
01-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by coach
Most of you know I want to be a coach and teacher at the high school level. Well, i was placed in an elementary school for my first assignment for student teaching. Today i began my first day. I started off with Kindergarten P.E! Not my cup of Tea!

Students come in and sit down and begin their normal routine. The teacher introduces me and we begin class. As we begin stretching a little girl, cute as a button, raises her hand in tears. I look at her to see whats the matter and notice a wet puddle underneath her. I said to my self, "Please, not on the first day." I turn to the teacher and tell him she needs some attention. He then realizes the problem and sends her to the nurse with another little girl. He then gets some kind of cleaning powder substance and sprinkles it over the puddle of pee. Students start asking questions and the teacher does a nice job by saying, "Our friend got sick and I am cleaning it up." Then a student asks, OH NO, did she throw up?"

The first 5 minutes of my teaching career will be a story i will never forget! :clap: :clap: :clap: :D Funny stuff. Congrats I think!

ccmom
01-24-2011, 12:48 PM
Hahahahaha.....good luck!! :clap:

theville
01-24-2011, 01:03 PM
My first student teaching experience was something similar to that.

Had a Kinder puke right on my feet after asking me a question.

I still teach PE but I stand further away. LOL!!:D

Send_the_House
01-24-2011, 01:24 PM
You think you will remember... But you won't.

Write stuff like that down and keep some kind of journal throughout your years...

Black_Magic
01-24-2011, 01:25 PM

God be with you son

http://cdn.wn.com/ph/img/86/f0/f6e306cc33178faa1660abcfc5e5-grande.jpg

garciap77
01-24-2011, 01:25 PM

For whatever reason, the first thing that came to mind was G2! That just sounds like something he would have say, when he was Kindergarten!:D

;)

Ernest T Bass
01-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Are you getting certified in PE?

eagles_victory
01-24-2011, 01:39 PM
I had a fight on my first day little kid got stuck in the eye that thing swelled up quick.

bwdlionfan
01-24-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
For whatever reason, the first thing that came to mind was G2! That just sounds like something he would have say, when he was Kindergarten!:D

;)

heck g2 might say that now!

roughneck_2008
01-24-2011, 01:57 PM
sounds fun, i will be getting to student teach next spring, hopefully it will be a better first day than yours. if ur major is cert in pe, wats your minor? and wat sports are you wanting to coach

Send_the_House
01-24-2011, 03:25 PM
Also, not trying to discourage, but while your still in school you need to get more than just P.E. or health certified.

PE and Health are not even requirements in the high school anymore... And this was before the state deficit deal came up... There will potentially be zero jobs available, and dang sure not any PE/health jobs. Just make sure you have a plan.

raider red 2000
01-24-2011, 03:37 PM
also there are a ton of EC-4 generalist.

if a content test can be taken, take it. Math, Science, Spanish, special education....those are all marketable fields.

PE and health.....you wont have many options.

Ernest T Bass
01-24-2011, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by Send_the_House
PE and Health are not even requirements in the high school anymore

Yes, they are both still required for graduation. But, there are usually not more than one or two teachers on a campus for both.

CheerMom
01-24-2011, 03:39 PM
My daughter will be student teaching next Fall.....I will have to share this story with her...lol...she also wants to teach and coach on the high school level, but knows that she will have to start at the bottom, wherever she ends up...

bobcat1
01-24-2011, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by CheerMom
My daughter will be student teaching next Fall.....I will have to share this story with her...lol...she also wants to teach and coach on the high school level, but knows that she will have to start at the bottom, wherever she ends up... I love your avatar:inlove:

lulu
01-24-2011, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
also there are a ton of EC-4 generalist.

if a content test can be taken, take it. Math, Science, Spanish, special education....those are all marketable fields.

PE and health.....you wont have many options.

yeah..what he said:clap:

coach
01-24-2011, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Are you getting certified in PE?

yep

Ernest T Bass
01-24-2011, 04:24 PM
yep

Then this would be a great year to go after that journalism thing you're talking about. It's tough to get a PE job when the market is good, but the next two years are gonna be damned tough even for core teachers. Even 5a schools are talking about going to just 2 or 3 PE teachers.

Ranger Mom
01-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Then this would be a great year to go after that journalism thing you're talking about. It's tough to get a PE job when the market is good, but the next two years are gonna be damned tough even for core teachers. Even 5a schools are talking about going to just 2 or 3 PE teachers.

I can't help but think of what wildstangs posted last week.

Originally posted by wildstangs
I remember seeing a room full of PE certified teachers looking at an empty bulletin board last July at coaching school. I seriously hope no Texas colleges are letting kids earn a "PE only" degree these days. I am thankful everyday that I passed the SPED test.

Ernest T Bass
01-24-2011, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I can't help but think of what wildstangs posted last week.

Yep, and this year should be much worse. Next year even worse than that. Lots of districts are offering incentives for retirement right now so they don't have to lay as many off. Gonna be lots of teachers out of work over the next 2 years.

Ranger Mom
01-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Yep, and this year should be much worse. Next year even worse than that. Lots of districts are offering incentives for retirement right now so they don't have to lay as many off. Gonna be lots of teachers out of work over the next 2 years.

I heard on the local news this morning that they are considering closing down Odessa College.

coach
01-24-2011, 04:41 PM

I really am thinking about it..I really dont want to go back to school right now...Im going to keep my ears opened in the next few months to see what jobs are opening. I have an uncle who has some say up in the dallas area so hopefully i can get in there...If not...I can always fall back on my dream job.

Ernest T Bass
01-24-2011, 04:44 PM
I really am thinking about it..I really dont want to go back to school right now...Im going to keep my ears opened in the next few months to see what jobs are opening. I have an uncle who has some say up in the dallas area so hopefully i can get in there...If not...I can always fall back on my dream job.

Yeah, I know your uncle. ;)
Of course keep looking, but if you get another opportunity, better grab it. Besides, it's a lot easier to start something new when you're young and have no responsibilities.

Old LB
01-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I heard on the local news this morning that they are considering closing down Odessa College.

One of the Brownwood Jr. colleges is dependant on funding and they say it will close without the money.

Ernest T Bass
01-24-2011, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
One of the Brownwood Jr. colleges is dependant on funding and they say it will close without the money.

Ranger JC is looking at closing, too. State has a $26.8 billion deficit to make up. Gonna be rough in this profession for awhile.

Trashman
01-24-2011, 04:59 PM
The four colleges in question are:

1. Brazosport College in Lake Jackson,
2. Frank Phillips College in Borger,
3. Odessa College
3. Ranger College

There is talk of merging some of them with larger colleges.

eagles_victory
01-24-2011, 05:03 PM
ETB and whoever else might know what are the prospects out there for Special Ed teachers?

SintonFan
01-24-2011, 05:23 PM

Shunny fit!:D

Ernest T Bass
01-24-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
ETB and whoever else might know what are the prospects out there for Special Ed teachers?

For teachers it's about the same as any other field. For aides, not so much.

wildstangs
01-24-2011, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory

K-12 SPED is a pretty good certificate to have. I have that in addition to 4-8 ELA & SS. But like ETB said, districts just aren't going to be hiring this year until they have moved around and absorbed every possible position. For example, lets say a SPED teacher at my school retires. They will move an English teacher with SPED cert. to the SPED spot and divy up the English teachers kids to the other ELA teachers. It is going to be a rough year. There might be some late hiring in July, but everyone is going to be moving all possible people around and abosrbing positions first.

My advice is to start testing in other certificates IMMEDIATELY. Math, Science, ESL, SPED, etc. are the ones that make you most marketable. Be open to moving anywhere if you really want a job too. Not many people are open to moving to Amarillo, El Paso, Permian Basin, etc. but if you get a couple of years experience out there it might get better in the more popular areas in a few years.

Check Region centers often and email principals. I did that often because your application will get lost down at Human Resources, especially these days with lots of extra folks applying for jobs.

I am taking grad classes to become a principal, and some of the local districts are even looking at shedding assisstant principals.

P.S. - Go get your CDL. If I am a principal in the next few years and a teacher/coach comes in for an interview and already has that, then I know that is one less headache to deal with.

wildstangs
01-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
The four colleges in question are:

1. Brazosport College in Lake Jackson,
2. Frank Phillips College in Borger,
3. Odessa College
3. Ranger College

There is talk of merging some of them with larger colleges.

The town of Ranger will dry up, and unfortunately people will lose their job, but Ranger JuCo is only 15-20 minutes away from Cisco Junior College.

Johnnypaycheck
01-25-2011, 09:01 AM
Best year of teaching I had was teaching Kindergarten PE. Was awesome! No grading, kids were still scared of me, had a full time aide with me and she was the GREATEST at handling the kids. Easiest job in education I have ever had!