PDA

View Full Version : Nice article about Brownwood basketball coach

ccmom
01-21-2011, 12:46 PM
http://www.reporternews.com/news/2011/jan/20/still-going-strong/

Old LB
01-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Since Shipley has come to Brownwood they have hired really good coaches across the board. Nice for the kids to learn from all that experience.

garciap77
01-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by Old LB
Since Shipley has come to Brownwood they have hired really good coaches across the board. Nice for the kids to learn from all that experience.

With all the budget cuts coming down, I wonder what is going to HS Football!!!!!!!! Teacher are already feeling the heat!:(

Old LB
01-21-2011, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
With all the budget cuts coming down, I wonder what is going to HS Football!!!!!!!! Teacher are already feeling the heat!:(
Probably not a popular thing but football generates enough money to support a lot of things. Don't see much change because of budget cuts. Some of the other sports would go first. Soccer, tennis, ect. IMO

I do personally think our teachers deserve more than they get but I do not have an answer for how to accomplish that.

RoyceTTU
01-21-2011, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

I think Football is safe. I think probably most major sports are probably safe especially in the larger schools.

My wife is a little nervous, the rumor is that Pre K will be one of the first program cuts. The only saving grace is she works with "special needs" kids, and I would think they would make a larger effort to keep these programs funded.

Old LB
01-21-2011, 02:36 PM
I would hope they would preserve the programs involving younger kids, that is the time when they are learning the most. Hate to see young ones fall behind.

hookandladder
01-21-2011, 02:46 PM
I have heard that there is talk about cutting coaches and using volunteer's to help coach, Seriuosly. Heard someone saying this on the old coach.

RoyceTTU
01-21-2011, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I have heard that there is talk about cutting coaches and using volunteer's to help coach, Seriuosly. Heard someone saying this on the old coach.

Most coaches teach though, don't they. They did when I was in school. It was some of my easiest classes:D

hookandladder
01-21-2011, 02:59 PM
I know most all coaches in LG teach, maybe they were talking about larger schools.

Ernest T Bass
01-21-2011, 02:59 PM
Trust me, these budget cuts will effect athletics. It's a myth that football brings in profits. A succesful program will break even, but most don't make that much.
All non-core teachers and district employees should be nervous. If it's not required, it's subject to be underfunded or cut all together.

hookandladder
01-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Trust me, these budget cuts will effect athletics. It's a myth that football brings in profits. A succesful program will break even, but most don't make that much.
All non-core teachers and district employees should be nervous. If it's not required, it's subject to be underfunded or cut all together.

I agree, no sport in high school makes more money. That only happens in college and pro, very interesting article in the Austin Statesman about this issue.

wildstangs
01-22-2011, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass

Ding ding ding....I remember seeing a room full of PE certified teachers looking at an empty bulletin board last July at coaching school. I seriously hope no Texas colleges are letting kids earn a "PE only" degree these days. I am thankful everyday that I passed the SPED test.

Sweetwater Red
01-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by wildstangs
I seriously hope no Texas colleges are letting kids earn a "PE only" degree these days.

Is that the same as a sports science degree? :confused:

wildstangs
01-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Is that the same as a sports science degree? :confused:

Probably depends on the college you are at. I think most call it "excercise science." The degree itself is probably ok, but if you are planning on teaching PE in the public schools - Good luck!

Ernest T Bass
01-22-2011, 11:41 AM
Gonna be much more than the PE teachers this go 'round. Gonna be a lot of out of work teachers come September.

maestro
01-22-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by ccmom

thanks for sharing that story.

coach
01-22-2011, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Old LB

if only they can work on their kids from laying on the ground after a loss.....jk lol :)

bigwood33
01-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
I know that the thread has taken a different direction but I want to speak up for Coach Patillo. He is an outstanding man and I am glad that he is still going strong. He lost a daughter who played at Howard Payne in the early '90s to diabetic coma. She was a player at HPU when she died and I saw the heartbreak and grace with which he carried himself...it was humbling.