PDA

View Full Version : Chad Glasgow to be TTU's DC

RoyceTTU
01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Source: Chad Glasgow to be TTU's DCEmail Print Comments19 By Jeff Caplan
ESPNDallas.com
Archive
TCU safeties coach Chad Glasgow, a member of Gary Patterson's first staff, has been tabbed as Texas Tech's new defensive coordinator, a source confirmed Thursday night.

The Horned Frogs defense finished No. 1 in the nation for a third consecutive season and this year ranked No. 1 in the nation in pass defense, allowing just 128.7 yards a game.

With Tejay Johnson being a second-team All-Mountain West Conference selection in 2009, Glasgow, who played linebacker at Oklahoma State, has coached 12 all-conference picks at safety for TCU.

Tech became in need of a defensive coordinator when James Willis left after one season under Tommy Tuberville.

Tech and TCU were scheduled to play in Fort Worth next season, but that game has been scratched.

Jeff Caplan covers colleges for ESPNDallas.com. You can follow him on Twitter or leave a question for his mailbag.

ESPN Link (http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=6043369)

I like the pick. I think he'll do fine.

FrmSTx
01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
sweet, Chad's a great coach!

RoyceTTU
01-21-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm reading that he will be implementing a 4-2-5 scheme. I'm not real familiar but is this the Pro Style Nickle.

Looks like a couple of recruited non-starters and 1 starter was moved from the safety position last year to LB to fit the 3-4 scheme, I think these players will probably be switching back to a safety position.

I like the idea of having 4 up front much more.

LoboesWT
01-21-2011, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
I'm reading that he will be implementing a 4-2-5 scheme. I'm not real familiar but is this the Pro Style Nickle.

Looks like a couple of recruited non-starters and 1 starter was moved from the safety position last year to LB to fit the 3-4 scheme, I think these players will probably be switching back to a safety position.

I like the idea of having 4 up front much more.

My understanding is that the 4-2-5 allows more flexibility with same personnel on the field. They can easily slide into 4-4 or 4-3 depending on Offensive setups. I feel they have Hybrid LB/Secondary players, ex. Bronte Bird. This will be better suited for our current defensive personnel.

RoyceTTU
01-21-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
This will be better suited for our current defensive personnel.

I agree :D It was almost like the 3-4 was implemented just to give Brian Duncan a chance to run a bit. He is good, but 3-4 obviously hoovered something feirce. :D

FrmSTx
01-21-2011, 01:35 PM
basically, it puts 3 safties on the field. The MLB has to be a STUD! Like Tank. It allows for lighter, faster DL as well, ex. kid from Edna. With the correct personell, its hard to beat, just ask wisconsin.

a little Tight G, 2 Sky Blue

eagles_victory
01-21-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by FrmSTx
basically, it puts 3 safties on the field. The MLB has to be a STUD! Like Tank. It allows for lighter, faster DL as well, ex. kid from Edna. With the correct personell, its hard to beat, just ask wisconsin.

a little Tight G, 2 Sky Blue Wisconsin out thought themselves in that game should of just kept running the ball down hill.

Great message from Tech we're too scared to play you but not too scared to hire your coaches.

RoyceTTU
01-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Wisconsin out thought themselves in that game should of just kept running the ball down hill.

Great message from Tech we're too scared to play you but not too scared to hire your coaches.

Funny you mention this, because it was my understanding that TCU dropped Tech last year in favor of another home game much like Tech did to TCU this year.

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I know it's all about money and home games generate a lot more money.

http://texastech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1178840

in case you want a non-biased opinion

http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2010/08/30/busy-first-week-sign-things-come-espn-networks-and-abc

:thinking:

RoyceTTU
01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
GLASGOW, MOUNDS COMPLETE TEXAS TECH COACHING STAFF

Chad Glasgow and Otis Mounds join the Red Raider coaching family

LUBBOCK, Texas – On the heels of a solid first season and a bowl victory over Northwestern, Texas Tech head coach Tommy Tuberville strengthened his coaching staff today with the hiring of two rising coaching professionals in Chad Glasgow and Otis Mounds.

Glasgow, 38, will serve as defensive coordinator and joins the Red Raiders after spending the last 10 seasons at TCU. Mounds, 39, has been promoted from graduate assistant to assistant coach and will be in charge of cornerbacks.

“It’s my goal to bring our defense to a championship level and Chad Glasgow is the right person for the job,” said Tuberville. “With his experience and knowledge of the game and recruiting, he will be a great addition to our staff.”

Glasgow’s tenure at TCU was marked by one of tremendous success as he helped develop one of the nation’s premier defensive units. The Horned Frogs led the nation in total defense in each of the last three seasons and five times in the last decade (2000, 2002, 2008, 2009, 2010). This season, Glasgow was named the 2010 National Defensive Backs Coach of the Year winner by Footballscoop.com.

Glasgow has coached 14 all-conference selections at safety, including 2010 consensus first-team All-American and Jim Thorpe Award finalist Tejay Johnson. Johnson, a two-time All-Mountain West Conference selection, and Colin Jones were All-MWC picks in 2010.

Four TCU safeties in the last four years have signed National Football League contracts. Stephen Hodge, who led the nation in sacks by a defensive back with eight in 2007, was a sixth-round draft pick by the Dallas Cowboys in 2009. Hodge and David Roach earned All-MWC honors in 2007.

Roach and Brian Bonner signed 2008 free-agent contracts with the New Orleans Saints and San Diego Chargers, respectively. In 2006, Marvin White was first-team All-MWC and later a fourth-round draft pick of the Cincinnati Bengals. Bonner was a second-team selection. White and Jeremy Modkins were All-MWC in 2005.

Since arriving at TCU, Glasgow also tutored all-conference safeties Kenneth Hilliard, a free-agent signee with the Buffalo Bills, and Marvin Godbolt, who inked a professional contract in the Canadian Football League.

Glasgow coached safeties, including 2000 Southland Conference Player of the Year C.J. Carroll, at Southwest Texas State from 1998-00. Prior to his stint at Southwest Texas State, Glasgow spent one year at Illinois State as the linebackers coach.

Glasgow also had coaching stops as a graduate assistant at both Oklahoma State (1994-95) under Bob Simmons and New Mexico (1996) with Dennis Franchione. Patterson was the Lobos' defensive coordinator that season.

A three-year letterwinner, Glasgow played linebacker at Oklahoma State. He earned a bachelor's degree from OSU in business administration in 1995. Glasgow and his wife, Maida, were married in March 2010. The couple has twin boys, Brance and Colt, born in November 2010.

Joining the Red Raider as the cornerbacks coach will be Otis Mounds, who spent last season as the defensive graduate assistant.

“I’ve known Otis for over 10 years,” remarked Tuberville. “He is one of the new up-and-coming bright coaches in this business who has had experience at both the high school and college level. He was a big part of our staff last year and I am glad that we were able to keep him on board.”

Mounds came to Texas Tech after a two-year stint as the secondary coach at St. Thomas Aquinas High School in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. While at St. Thomas Aquinas, he tutored LaMarcus Joyner who was named the National Defensive Player of the Year and went on to Florida State University. He also coached Cody Riggs (Florida), Brian Robinson (Marshall), Keyon Payne (Miami), Ronnie Kennedy (Central Michigan) and Desmond Southward (Wisconsin).

Prior to moving to St. Thomas Aquinas, Mounds served as the head coach and defensive coordinator for three seasons at Coral Springs Charter School in Coral Springs, Fla. Notable players under his tutelage at Coral Springs included Darius Butler (UCONN/New England Patriots), Evan Landi (South Florida) and Jamal Davis (Florida Atlantic).

Mounds began his coaching career at Dillard High School in Fort Lauderdale in 2000 and ended up serving the school as secondary coach and defensive coordinator.

After completing a four-year career at Auburn (1990-94), Mounds played one season in the Canadian Football League for the Birmingham Barracudas before a four-year stint in the Arena Football League. While in the arena league, he played for three different teams: Memphis in 1996, Florida from 1997-1999 and Carolina in 1999. He graduated from Auburn in 2003 with a degree in health promotions/sports and recreation management. He and his wife Myra have two sons (Otis Mounds Jr. and Myran) and one daughter, Oteria.

MustangFootball
01-22-2011, 12:41 PM
great news for tech, congratulations texas tech on great hire, now if we can land those great recruits from florida our future looks bright.....gunns up tech fans.

eagles_victory
01-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
Funny you mention this, because it was my understanding that TCU dropped Tech last year in favor of another home game much like Tech did to TCU this year.

I don't know how much truth there is to it, but I know it's all about money and home games generate a lot more money.

http://texastech.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1178840

in case you want a non-biased opinion

http://www.standard.net/topics/sports/2010/08/30/busy-first-week-sign-things-come-espn-networks-and-abc

:thinking: For my understanding Tech dropped them as part of the Texas game moving up and got the Oregon St. game as a replacement then Tech dropped them again this year.

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=6038367

Last season's scheduled matchup in Lubbock was canceled when ESPN wanted to televise the Tech-Texas game on the same date. ESPN then worked to set up TCU's season-opener against Oregon State at Cowboys Stadium.