PDA

View Full Version : My 30-Day Notice

Blackcat1954
01-20-2011, 04:48 PM
my supervisor and publisher just gave me a 30-day notice to improve my job performance here at the newspaper.

Going on 2 years in Bay City and they are not happy with how I'm doing. They presented me with a letter, citing my weaknesses and my mistakes as a Sport Editor.

To me that's almost like telling me that they don't want me here anymore.

They said they have given me several chances to improve my writing and production,

I was at the Wharton Journal-Spectator for almost 25 years where I received a few reprimands.

Didn't know that you have to be a Mr Perfect to keep a job. Everybody makes mistakes

Anyway I probably won't have a job in a month seems like. I'll probably get out of the newspaper business. 27 years has been long enough.

Need to try something new but I have no idea what.

Ranger Mom
01-20-2011, 05:33 PM
Wow! I'm sorry to hear that!! Although, it seems from some of your previous posts that you aren't really happy with that job anyway!

Maybe this will be the time in your life that you will find something that is exactly what you love to do!! That is my prayer for you!!

Good luck!!!!

bobcat1
01-20-2011, 05:40 PM
I may be in the soup line too if things don't pick up. Good luck!

zebrablue2
01-20-2011, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Wow! I'm sorry to hear that!! Although, it seems from some of your previous posts that you aren't really happy with that job anyway!

Maybe this will be the time in your life that you will find something that is exactly what you love to do!! That is my prayer for you!!

Good luck!!!!

:ditto: You will land on your feet BC. Hang in there. Everything happens for a reason!!!

Old LB
01-21-2011, 08:42 AM
You should find something else and leave in about two weeks, beat'em to the punch.

lulu
01-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by Old LB
You should find something else and leave in about two weeks, beat'em to the punch. I think tthat's a good move. If you can find something. Remember God has a plan for all of us. He says to prosper us. Sometime..heck most times...what we think is terrible turns into the best thimg that ever happened to us. Good luck

lulu
01-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I may be in the soup line too if things don't pick up. Good luck! You have niine lives. you will be fine. Great even.

Phil C
01-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Old LB
You should find something else and leave in about two weeks, beat'em to the punch.

Unfortunately I agree. When they start what they are doing that is a good sign to get another job as soon as possible.
I had two friends at governmental appointed jobs and one official who was going to take office told him he wasn't doing all he was supposed to do which involved needing more staff which they wouldn't provide. He said he would give him six months. Within a month he found another job and it took them that long to find someone who would take the job. Another friend was told the same thing and he didn't see the writing on the wall and eventually was dismissed. Fortunately he found an even better job but he would have been better off finding it sooner rather than trying to work things out.

Antec
01-23-2011, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestions

It may be hard to find another sports writing job in the area at a newspaper that's close with 30 minutes

Maybe can try the Sealy newspaper which comes out twice a week

I've been writing for newspapers since 1985-Had meaningless jobs before that.

Ranger Mom
01-24-2011, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by Antec
Thanks for the suggestions

It may be hard to find another sports writing job in the area at a newspaper that's close with 30 minutes

Maybe can try the Sealy newspaper which comes out twice a week

I've been writing for newspapers since 1985-Had meaningless jobs before that.

I'm confused! Are you Blackcat1954 also??

bobcat1
01-24-2011, 12:41 PM
I'm confused! Are you Blackcat1954 also?? :thinking: I caught that yesterday too.

Blackcat1954
01-24-2011, 12:58 PM
im Blackcat at work and Antec at home
forgot my password to use the same username here at work and signed up as Blackcat when I started at Bay City almost 2 years ago.
Sorry to confuse everyone
Im one in the same

ccmom
01-24-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Blackcat1954
im Blackcat at work and Antec at home
forgot my password to use the same username here at work and signed up as Blackcat when I started at Bay City almost 2 years ago.
Sorry to confuse everyone
Im one in the same

I'm pretty sure that is illegal and you should be punished!! :tisk: :mad:

;)

Ranger Mom
01-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
I'm pretty sure that is illegal and you should be punished!! :tisk: :mad:

;)

We will have to punish Phil C and PhiI C too!!

raider red 2000
01-25-2011, 12:48 PM
We will have to punish Phil C and PhiI C too!!

they are the same????

that was pretty tricky by the ol Godfather.

Antec
02-02-2011, 10:45 PM
Well Folks, I have two weeks left and my managing editor has been pleased with my improvement.

I still need to get down to 5 mistakes or less when my sports pages are edited-

I can proof it over and over again with spell check,

Its hard to be almost perfect in a job like this.

I believe your supervisor should understand and help me with this even though Im labeled the Sport Editor and I'm fully responsible for my sports section.

I know that I can do this to keep my job, but a second set of eyes helps to make sure.

Phil C
02-03-2011, 01:32 AM
Well Folks, I have two weeks left and my managing editor has been pleased with my improvement.

I still need to get down to 5 mistakes or less when my sports pages are edited-

I can proof it over and over again with spell check,

Its hard to be almost perfect in a job like this.

I believe your supervisor should understand and help me with this even though Im labeled the Sport Editor and I'm fully responsible for my sports section.

I know that I can do this to keep my job, but a second set of eyes helps to make sure.

Good news and hope it works out. But I would still keep a close eye on the want ads just in case.

Antec
02-05-2011, 12:58 PM
Been looking in the newspaper busines and not anything out there in our area

We won't be moving since we own our house and my wife has a good job about 45 minutes away.

Might have to work retail like at Buc-ees in Wharton or at Walmart

Way too young ot retire-We do have a farm that someones is farming for us-Gues s I can go to work on it-running errands or something

carter08
02-06-2011, 11:16 PM
Have you thought about freelancing?

I know the newspaper business is in the toilet right now, but with the amount of experience you have, you should be able to pick up at least a few freelance jobs. It might not make you enough money to keep you from needing another job, but you'd still have a chance to do something you love.

Old Tiger
02-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Go work at Rockdale Reporter...you can screw up as much as you won't and they will still print it.

Blackcat1954
02-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the tip-LOL

We really don't want to move from Wharton area since we have a paid house in Hungerford

We also had farm land near Wharton and El Campo

Blackcat1954
02-07-2011, 05:20 PM
HAVE Farm land

Met with my direct supervisor today and thing's are not looking any better with my job situation

its going to be a tough two weeks to wait it out and see what happens. Its been stressful with a lot of anxiety.

It's been tough on my wife as well

Will probably stick it out and see what happens next Friday.

poisoned10
02-08-2011, 11:36 AM
HAVE Farm land

Met with my direct supervisor today and thing's are not looking any better with my job situation

its going to be a tough two weeks to wait it out and see what happens. Its been stressful with a lot of anxiety.

It's been tough on my wife as well

Will probably stick it out and see what happens next Friday.

Sounds like they already had their minds made up the 1st time it was discussed.

Antec
02-13-2011, 05:14 PM
This is my final week coming up to see if I keep my job or not

But it doesn't look promising. They have found just little thing the past three weeks to not be happy with my work.

Guess I'll be looknig for a job the following week.

I've been writing sports for almost 27 years. May not be that easy to find a job that is close to where we live.

We have no intention of moving since we own our home in Hungerford. My wife works in Stafford.

Blackcat1954
02-16-2011, 10:20 AM
MY week is running out for my job status

Talked with my managing editor this morning and things still aren't looking good.

Hope to find out either way tomorrow after she talks to the publisher.

It's been a very tough situation with me having to wait with stress and anxiety.

Need to find out soon before I go crazy worrying.

Will keep yall informed

TheDOCTORdre
02-16-2011, 11:12 AM
have you been keeping an eye out for any jobs through this dilemma?

Old LB
02-16-2011, 11:26 PM
You ever think about teaching at the Jr. college in Wharton? Us old guys may have to reinvent ourselves at some point you know.

Blackcat1954
02-17-2011, 09:56 AM
Hoping to find out before noon today about my job status

The month long wait has been tough-Whatever happens will be a big relief off my shoulders and I can take a deep breath and stop worrying.

I need a short break after all this. Will take it easy for a while and fill for unemployment.

I'll miss writing about sports after 27 years and miss dealing with coaches and athletes

Blackcat1954
02-17-2011, 10:36 AM
They just put off telling me about my job status until Thursday of next week

Now I'll have to wait and worry for another 7 days. This is not good. I don't know if I can make it that long

BwdLion73
02-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Its beginning to sound like someone there likes you twisting in the wind. Do you have a sadistic boss or supervisor that you have hacked off? :(

Trashman
02-17-2011, 02:51 PM

Now I'll have to wait and worry for another 7 days. This is not good. I don't know if I can make it that long

They are hoping you will quit.....don't do it! Make them fire you.
:mad:

AP Panther Fan
02-17-2011, 02:53 PM

No matter what...DO NOT QUIT....make them fire you. It is really crappy what they are doing, but don't let them intimidate you into resigning and/or jeopardizing your benefits.

jmho

lulu
02-17-2011, 03:11 PM
Do not let them win by just handing them the trophy. Stay and fight. Make them be the bad guy they are.

44INAROW
02-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
No matter what...DO NOT QUIT....make them fire you. It is really crappy what they are doing, but don't let them intimidate you into resigning and/or jeopardizing your benefits.

jmho

good advice Mrs APPanther Fan;)

AP Panther Fan
02-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
good advice Mrs APPanther Fan;)

Well, the way I see it....if they don't quit jerking him around, they might have more than just a TWC (unemployment) claim. I know they are documenting the heck out of their files, but the EEOC might view this treatment as discriminatory. (http://www.eeoc.gov/laws/practices/index.cfm)

Blackcat1954
02-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Will know about my job status at 10 a.m. Thursday
Its been a long worry-some wait with a lot of anxiety.

I'm surprised they've kept me over the earlier month limit since January. I was supposed to find out last week and they pushed it back

I've done my best to improve to what they wanted in my work production and they hardly gave me any positive indication.

I guess they thought I would find another job by now. There is a position for a stringer in Katy which is about 40 minutes from my house going to the back roads.

Really not interested in driving that are back and forth and in between at nights and weekends.

I truly believe, that after 27 years of writing sports, its time to try something else, even though I have no idea what.

I just need to take a huge breath after I find out, take a small break and file for unemployment.

I'll look around the El Campo, Wharton area even Rosenberg but I want to get out of Bay City.

The drive with a lot of fog in the mornings, has wore me out and its old.

I need a change of scenery for sure but not too far from home. I just don't like to drive that much anymore and have a driving phobia at night and stray only a little from home.

Whatever happens, happens-I'll just be relieved to find out-Then I won't be worrying and have a clear head.

Ranger Mom
02-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Will know about my job status at 10 a.m. Thursday
Its been a long worry-some wait with a lot of anxiety.

I'm surprised they've kept me over the earlier month limit since January. I was supposed to find out last week and they pushed it back

I've done my best to improve to what they wanted in my work production and they hardly gave me any positive indication.

I guess they thought I would find another job by now. There is a position for a stringer in Katy which is about 40 minutes from my house going to the back roads.

Really not interested in driving that are back and forth and in between at nights and weekends.

I truly believe, that after 27 years of writing sports, its time to try something else, even though I have no idea what.

I just need to take a huge breath after I find out, take a small break and file for unemployment.

I'll look around the El Campo, Wharton area even Rosenberg but I want to get out of Bay City.

The drive with a lot of fog in the mornings, has wore me out and its old.

I need a change of scenery for sure but not too far from home. I just don't like to drive that much anymore and have a driving phobia at night and stray only a little from home.

Whatever happens, happens-I'll just be relieved to find out-Then I won't be worrying and have a clear head.

Good luck to you!! I don't know whether to cross my fingers you keep your job, or pray you don't!!:p

Antec
02-24-2011, 01:42 PM
Finally found out about my job today and lost it as I had figured

Probably will get out of newspaper business-27 years is enough

Will file for unemployment tomorrow and take it easy for while.

Can't find a job too far out with gas prices going up

44INAROW
02-24-2011, 02:17 PM

well. good luck and keep us posted :)

Ranger Mom
02-24-2011, 02:38 PM

I really feel this is the best thing for you!! It sounds like entirely too much pressure, which isn't good for your health!!

I hope and pray you find a wonderful job close to where you live!!

Good luck and let us know how it goes!!!

Antec
02-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Feels weird being out of the newspaper writing business after 27 years.

Filed for unemployment today and now looking for just a bout any kind of work.

Will most likely try something different but have no idea what.

Will try and keep it within 30 minute radious since gas is going up

Wife is already driving 45 miles to her job so we went to keep the traveling down.

RoyceTTU
03-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Feels weird being out of the newspaper writing business after 27 years.

Filed for unemployment today and now looking for just a bout any kind of work.

Will most likely try something different but have no idea what.

Will try and keep it within 30 minute radious since gas is going up

Wife is already driving 45 miles to her job so we went to keep the traveling down.

While your waiting to see what will come your way, you shoudl think about a blog/website etc....to write about what you want to write about and at your own pace. You might enjoy it more that way. I can't imagine after almost 30 years that you would want to walk away completely. You never know what could come of it.

Antec
03-08-2011, 04:35 PM
Starting to miss writing at the paper already

Its been almost three weeks already and seems a lot longer

Wish they would hire me back at the Wharton newspaper where I was at 25 years.

Hard to find a job in the newspaper business without re-locating.

Trashman
03-09-2011, 11:56 AM
Have you talked to them about it? It never hurts to ask.:D