PDA

View Full Version : Retired With No HS Football!

ronwx5x
01-20-2011, 10:08 AM
I retired as of Dec. 31 and have been stripping wallpaper and prepping the walls for texture every since. Now I've reached a stopping point and I'm waiting for a drywall guy to tell me how much he will charge to texture. I have no football games to go to and I'm starting to get bored. I will have to paint and then wait until February to start on the kitchen so I'm almost done.

I may have to find a hobby. Any suggestions?

Maroon87
01-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by ronwx5x
I retired as of Dec. 31 and have been stripping wallpaper and prepping the walls for texture every since. Now I've reached a stopping point and I'm waiting for a drywall guy to tell me how much he will charge to texture. I have no football games to go to and I'm starting to get bored. I will have to paint and then wait until February to start on the kitchen so I'm almost done.

C'mon man..you live in the Woodlands. There's some really nice golf courses all over the place.:nerd: ;)

jason
01-20-2011, 10:12 AM
we are getting ready to re-texture our bedroom - the previous owners did some do it yourself repairs and just put up drywall...

i think we might do it ourselves, but don't really know what we're doing....should be interesting...

bobcat1
01-20-2011, 10:16 AM

I may have to find a hobby. Any suggestions? Start fishin. Sure gets me throuogh the year.

raider red 2000
01-20-2011, 10:44 AM
we have done a roll on texture in the past....DO NOT DO THIS....also recently we bought a sprayer from harbor freight for $20 and hooked it to an air compressor.....seemed to do a good job.

If you are kinda handy, you can pull it off. there are youtube videos that are helpful.

At our last house, a guy charged us $100 bucks to do 1 room. probably $10 in materials and an hour to prep and and 30 min to actually spray on the texture.

BILLYFRED0000
01-20-2011, 10:55 AM
I like shooting. spend some time on the rifle and handgun range. Kind a runs in the family. My uncle was a national record holder on 357 hangun in the 70's and all us taylors learned to shoot early.
still like doin it.

ronwx5x
01-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I like shooting. spend some time on the rifle and handgun range. Kind a runs in the family. My uncle was a national record holder on 357 hangun in the 70's and all us taylors learned to shoot early.
still like doin it.

My brother-in-law has some acreage east of Conroe and I have gone there to shoot on a couple of occasions. The main problem is that he put up a berm to act as a backstop but you can't get far enough away, maybe 100'.

I've tried golf a couple of times but not fun and too expensive, especially in The Woodlands. Fishing might be a better option but lots of $$ toget started.

I just hired a guy to texture the bath for $250. He will have it done in one afternoon. He also told me that in the kitchen if I paint the wallpaper with a good water-based primer there is no need to remove the wallpaper, just paint the existing paper and texture over it.

Tejastrue
01-20-2011, 03:22 PM

Go back to work. :D

JustAFan
01-20-2011, 04:12 PM
He also told me that in the kitchen if I paint the wallpaper with a good water-based primer there is no need to remove the wallpaper, just paint the existing paper and texture over it.

DON'T DO IT! We tried it in the old house and got up the next morning to wallpaper with bubbles. The water in the water-based primer soaked through the paper and loosened up the thin glue areas. We ended up tearing it all down and then putting primer up again! Maybe it was cheap wallpaper, but I will never try this again.

Behr has a real good "sanded paint" that you can put on to give the wall a Mediterranean texture. You take off the paper, then put this stuff on with a putty knife. No need to fix any of the bad places, this covers it.

Tired ole Bobcat
01-20-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm thinking the things you are doing now are enough to keep you busy and occupied. Guess what the end of February is? Flower bed time, you now have time to catch up on all of the things you needed to do when you worked but didn't. My wife has her to do list already made up. I'm sneaky though, I have already started crossing off some of the harder things she wanted done this spring. :D

Daddy D 11
01-20-2011, 04:35 PM
I shoot my bow a ton, its a good escape. Getting to where i'll prolly start shooting tournaments soon

bobcat1
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Tired ole Bobcat
I'm thinking the things you are doing now are enough to keep you busy and occupied. Guess what the end of February is? Flower bed time, you now have time to catch up on all of the things you needed to do when you worked but didn't. My wife has her to do list already made up. I'm sneaky though, I have already started crossing off some of the harder things she wanted done this spring. :D White out works better. Hide her reading glasses and trust her memory won't return.:D

coach
01-20-2011, 06:09 PM

watch college basketball that can be just as entertaining

buffalo2006
01-20-2011, 09:28 PM
Colt and Jordan were roommates

ronwx5x
01-20-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by JustAFan
DON'T DO IT! We tried it in the old house and got up the next morning to wallpaper with bubbles. The water in the water-based primer soaked through the paper and loosened up the thin glue areas. We ended up tearing it all down and then putting primer up again! Maybe it was cheap wallpaper, but I will never try this again.

Behr has a real good "sanded paint" that you can put on to give the wall a Mediterranean texture. You take off the paper, then put this stuff on with a putty knife. No need to fix any of the bad places, this covers it.

We had the second layer of wallpaper put up a few years ago and it is a vinyl product so not much chance of something soaking through. Almost all wall "paper" today is actually vinyl for easier cleaning. The only concern is the seams and these have to be floated so no leakage there either. The worst case would be if I'm wrong, I will still have to remove the paper.

I want a very light texture so I'm not so sure the putty knife effect is what I'm looking for. I saw some of the texture paint while I was buying supplies and it ain't cheap! Maybe it can be rolled on?

garciap77
01-20-2011, 09:31 PM

Mini-Association Thread :D

;)

ronwx5x
01-20-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
Mini-Association Thread :D

;)

Take note I am on only in the evening and not for very long. I've been plenty busy during the day.:D

garciap77
01-20-2011, 09:55 PM
Take note I am on only in the evening and not for very long. I've been plenty busy during the day.:D

:thinking: