PDA

View Full Version : A pastor's prayer for his high school football players....

trojandad
08-03-2003, 06:24 PM
On the eve of practice, and not knowing how to best wish all these guys safety and the best year possible, a friend shared this with me. He has never shared this sermon in the pulpit but has shared it with his high school boys every year in a breakfast he sponsors, and I'm blessed, with his permission, to share it with you with his anonymity:

Another football season, Lord. What should I share with these young men under my charge to best prepare them for the year ahead.

Maybe I should share of my experiences and knowledge of being a student athlete many years ago, and the way that I learned from the mistakes I made in not leaving everything I had on the field, in not practicing as hard as I played and in not sacrificing myself for the team's greater cause.

Maybe I should share of my experiences and knowledge of being a young adult, a young man having independence ahead of me and, looking back on my playing days, learned from the mistakes I made in not appreciating the opportunity that I had in competing in such a loved sport without the worries of having to make a living weighting me down, in not watching the verbal abuse I gave other athletes during those playing days only to have those other athletes now disrespect me as a young man and in not working as hard as I could on that field in order to get a free ride to a further education rather than having to work for tuition as I'm having to do.

But Lord, maybe I should share of my experiences and knowledge of being an older man with children of my own competing, a man with experiences of years of toil, tears and joy and, looking back on my playing days, learned from the mistakes I made in not playing with the intensity of knowing that I would have to share my experiences with my son someday, both good experiences as well as the ones I'm not proud of, in not being able to tell my son that I praised the opponent of the hard hit on me but rather had to admit of my profanity to him and in wishing so much I had worked harder in training to avoid injuries so that I could now convince my own son to prepare himself better.

As I search your Word, dear Lord, I see you laid all these lessons out for us. I see where your Son prepared Himself in your teachings before He came to the playing field of this world, that He worked out in Your Word constantly while He was here, that when pain came to Him there were no words from His mouth that He regretted afterward and, once He came to Your Right Hand, He looked back with zero regrets on how He dealt with this playing field.

So, as every year, Lord, you simplify what to tell these wonderful young men, these vessels with so much life and strength ahead of them -----

"Men, seek Him, draw close to Him and, when in doubt of what to do on any field of life, seek Him more and draw even closer".

Bless all you guys on the year coming. Stay strong in every way possible.

Old Cardinal
08-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Trojandad: Thanks for sharing this with all of us!

Chris Hart
08-03-2003, 09:25 PM
Amen, That is great! Sounds like that pastor really has a heart for kids, and It also sounds like he really enjoyed his playing days. I haven't played in years and I still relive them ole glory days and I hope I still do 30 years from now. Enjoy it young men, you never have the oppurtunity to do it again. :)

<small>[ August 03, 2003, 09:27 PM: Message edited by: Chris Hart ]</small>

PITarpon85
08-04-2003, 03:58 PM
Very Beautiful,thanks TrojanDad.
Here in Port Isabel, we have brought back the Blessing of the teams before the game. Our community has been through trying times. Just after the New York twin tower bombings, on 9/15 our Queen Isabella Causeway was hit by a barge and spit in two. The Causeway is the only link from Port Isabel to South Padre Island and is seen as symbol of pride as the Twin Towers ment to the people of New York. 8 people died that night, most of which were from Port Isabel and which I knew.
As a community we pulled together and as a tribute to those who died on 9/11 and 9/15 we saw only fitting to bring back the Benediction before every home game. Now a days it seems that God has been lost in where we need it most, our youth and community. But with God's help and the help of those who follow his teaching (Coaches and FCA)that won't be the the case. I'm now 30 years old and I still look proudly at the days when I played. Coaches like beloved Coach Eliso Villarreal "Coach V"(Who died in 2002) and Coach Uvalde Pena who were true messengers of God left an impression with anyone they talked to made me reialize that without God, everything else dosn't matters.

trojandad
08-04-2003, 04:16 PM
If you played under Coach V, you were an extremely fortunate man. I met him at an FCA meeting once and never forgot him, and even stopped my car on the side of the road when I got a call telling me of his passing.

A wonderful elderly friend of mine was vacationing there when the causeway was hit and I worried for her so much. She called to let me know that she was alright and, while vacationing, told me about going to the game after the accident and how it moved her.

I really appreciate you bringing Coach V to mind today. It's been a emotional one. I just found out today that my youngest son does NOT have cancer, bless His name. I have been so apprehensive waiting thru the weekend to find this good news. And I hear the good news after I read this note from you reminding me of Coach V. A coincidence? I think we know the answer to that.

Having known Godly coaches in my youth sure allowed me a ton of strength while praying for my own child as an older man. God bless each of you coaches, don't ever think it's in vain.

big daddy russ
08-05-2003, 06:08 PM
ttt

bulldog65
08-05-2003, 06:42 PM
God is Good!!!

Ranger Mom
08-05-2003, 08:05 PM
Trojandad - all I can say is Praise the Lord!!

bulldog65 couldn't have said it better - God is Good!!

trojandad
08-06-2003, 12:46 AM
Amen and thanks, Ranger Mom, we haven't quit celebrating and being thankful. Any thanks you care to throw His way for my son's sake would be appreciated, I'm sure He's tired of hearing it repetitively from us. :) :) :) :)