PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech doesn't want to play TCU...

crzyjournalist03
01-19-2011, 05:04 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=6038367

That game against New Mexico must be huge!!!!

Emerson1
01-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Didn't this come out a few weeks ago?

ESPN Dallas sucks.

SHSBulldog00
01-19-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/ncf/news/story?id=6038367

That game against New Mexico must be huge!!!!

They didn't want to lose to the little sisters of the poor:D

bobcat1
01-19-2011, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by SHSBulldog00
They didn't want to lose to the little sisters of the poor:D At $41,000 a year there isn't very many poor at TCU.

Saggy Aggie
01-19-2011, 07:15 PM
This was posted by Matt like 3 weeks ago.

neck_06
01-20-2011, 02:10 AM
Gotta get to that bowl game....I'd glady take on New Mexico instead of TCU. Lol

Matthew328
01-20-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm just good like that

Eagle 1
01-20-2011, 10:51 AM
When was the last time UT played TCU?

NastySlot
01-20-2011, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
When was the last time UT played TCU?

wasn't it about two or three years ago?

NastySlot
01-20-2011, 10:54 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores107/107251/NCAAF763613.htm

RoyceTTU
01-20-2011, 10:58 AM
Yeah, Matt reported this but it wasn't confirmed at the time. As I stated before, I don't like the move because I think the Big 12 teams need to be playing an elite schedule so they don't become mediocre.

As for dropping TCU over NM, i see the reasoning, the NM vs. Tech game has become a decent game over the years and is scheduled year after year.

What I don't like is taking Texas State over TCU, I know schedule logistics might not of been able to make it happen but I would rather see TCU.

They did play TCU within the last 5 years if I remember correctly and Tech won I believe. Its been a while and is scheduled very sporadic(or maybe I should say played and not scheduled):D

NastySlot
01-20-2011, 11:02 AM
doesn't TCU lose quite a bit? ...I know QB

NastySlot
01-20-2011, 11:06 AM
last two meetings............tech 70 tcu 30 (04) tcu 12-3 (06)

RoyceTTU
01-20-2011, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
last two meetings............tech 70 tcu 30 (04) tcu 12-3 (06)

You beat me to it, was going say we lost in 06

just pulled up a little history though

TCU last meetings 04,06
NM last meetings 00,01,02,03,04,09,10

Like I said, NM is almost like a conference game. I will be honest and say I would rather see the TCU game, but I still like the NM game in the schedule.

sahen
01-20-2011, 11:24 AM
it is for money...they had to drop one of their non-conference games and they aren't going to drop a home game because they make much more money for a home game than an away game...TCU was simply in Fort Worth where they get less money than when New Mexico comes to Lubbock next year....

same reason why Baylor kept TCU on their schedule for next year but dropped SMU...TCU is coming to Waco so Baylor can keep the gate while SMU wouldve been in Dallas where Baylor gets less money...

its college football guys, always gotta remember to follow the $$$$ cause that is all it is about in the end...

crzyjournalist03
01-20-2011, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by sahen
it is for money...they had to drop one of their non-conference games and they aren't going to drop a home game because they make much more money for a home game than an away game...TCU was simply in Fort Worth where they get less money than when New Mexico comes to Lubbock next year....

same reason why Baylor kept TCU on their schedule for next year but dropped SMU...TCU is coming to Waco so Baylor can keep the gate while SMU wouldve been in Dallas where Baylor gets less money...

its college football guys, always gotta remember to follow the $$$$ cause that is all it is about in the end...

TCU tried to move the game to Cowboys Stadium though. That would have been more money for Tech.

sahen
01-20-2011, 11:30 AM
TCU tried to move the game to Cowboys Stadium though. That would have been more money for Tech.

more money than a Tech home game where they keep 100% of the gate, concessions, and parking? i find that doubtful...

plus Texas Tech and Baylor have been playing every year in Dallas and most likely this year they will play at Jerryworld if they play there again...i dont think Tech wants to go there twice....

crzyjournalist03
01-20-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by sahen
more money than a Tech home game where they keep 100% of the gate, concessions, and parking? i find that doubtful...

plus Texas Tech and Baylor have been playing every year in Dallas and most likely this year they will play at Jerryworld if they play there again...i dont think Tech wants to go there twice....

Doesn't the NCAA require that a portion of gates go to the visiting team? When I was at UNT, they played Texas, Oklahoma, or LSU every year because they said that from that one game every year, it would make them more money than most of the rest of their games combined.

NastySlot
01-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Doesn't the NCAA require that a portion of gates go to the visiting team? When I was at UNT, they played Texas, Oklahoma, or LSU every year because they said that from that one game every year, it would make them more money than most of the rest of their games combined.

my guess that would be part of the contract the teams make.

sahen
01-20-2011, 12:05 PM

it is part of the contract, typically teams like UNT just get paid a set rate for playing away games at major conference opponents like LSU, UT, and OU...it has nothing to do with the gate, parking, concessions, etc....for example texas offers UNT 200K to come play and they do...just throwing that number out there dunno what the actual number is...

however, even playing a neutral site game at jerryworld will come no where near netting for Tech what they make when they play a home game in Lubbock...that is true for any team, heck TCU was willing to take a huge pay cut just to move the game to jerryworld and thats basically across town for them...obviously Tech is not willing to lose the large amount of money that giving up a home game for an away game involves...

also have to consider that Tech itself has close ties to the Lubbock community...gonna have some pissed off buisness owners that give good money to the program if you take a home game away where they make a lot of money in favor for an away game...

there a ton of reasons to keep a home game over an away game...not saying it always happens or Tech wasn't looking for a reason to get out of TCU (considering TCU's players leaving i doubt this) but they have a lot of reasons to fall back on...