PDA

View Full Version : Can u win a football game using 2 QB's ?

WE KAT
09-09-2003, 10:32 AM
Mexia has been able to can any one else?

xlr8tor
09-09-2003, 10:44 AM
WE KAT:
Mexia has been able to can any one else?Some can't win just using one QB. Seriously, I think it can be done. To be very successful in using 2 QB's though, in my opinion, both QB's have to be well-rounded and similar in talent. Plus, there is always the leadership aspect, and the unity of the team which can be hindered by multiple QB's. If you have one QB who is lop-sided in talent toward throwing, and the other lop-sided in talent toward mobility, scampering, and rushing, against a very good team at all, you're going to have problems. A good defense will adjust to defend against the strength of which ever QB takes the snap. Just my take.

3afan
09-09-2003, 12:01 PM
of course you can - Forney alternated QBs 2 years ago and went 11-1

eaglefan
09-09-2003, 04:36 PM
Can you win? Yes you can, especially a always talented Mexia squad. Will you go far in the playoffs alternating 2 quarterbacks, I really don't think so. So Forney went 11-1, that means they lost their second game of the playoffs against an obviously good team. I think that you need one quarterback, one that is in the groove for each game and has the confidence of his teammates throughout teh whole season. You can win some games w/ 2 QB's, but you have to have one to win it all.

TXMike
09-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Seems the issue is more can you have 2 different offensive philosophies and win? Teams that are primarily good running teams develop linemen who can run block. But when they are called upon to pass block, they have trouble. And if they pass block well, they tend not to be good run blockers. SO if you are using 2 QBs cause 1 is a runner and 1 is a passer, I think you are going to have trouble.

zeke
09-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Personally, I think it's great that a coach would allow 2 quarterbacks to get significant playing time when they bring different strengths to that position. A QB who is a mediocre passer but outstanding runner will do well against the majority of defenses in high school football...which is why most running QB's get the starting nod Howerver,when you get a few rounds into the playoffs you better have a passing QB who can thread the needle. When you get to the playoffs....a backup QB who is a superior passer, a weak scrambler/runner, and never gets any playing time throughout the season will be ill prepared when playing against a defense that has effectively shut down your running game for 3 quarters and time has come to either pass effectively or lose the game. My suggestion would be to give the superior passer on ones team significant passing reps in predistrict when the games don't mean anything, as well as district games that you have a significant lead in...you may need him when playoff time comes.

zeke
09-09-2003, 08:57 PM
Hey TXMIKE, Tell me what the rule is on chop blocking when pass line-blocking. Don't remember seeing it done in a long while...makes me wonder if it hasn't been outlawed.

TXMike
09-09-2003, 09:20 PM
Chop blocks are illegal all the time, run blocking or pass blocking. But what you are calling a chop block and what I am calling a chop block may be different. Many folks just call all low blocks chop blocks. Linemen in traditional linemen positions can block below the waist on pass or run plays. What they cannot do is certain types of high - low combination blocks where 1 offensive player blocks high and then the other goes low. That is an illegal chop block (15 yards).

zeke
09-09-2003, 11:16 PM
Thanx TXMIKE. That clears it up for me. Sounds like it's still legal to cut the defender at the knees as long as your fellow offensive player doesn't go block him high at the same time.

TXMike
09-10-2003, 05:02 AM
There are some restrictions (a lineman positioned more than 7 yards from the middle lineman of the formation and a back in motion or positioned outside the normal tackle position have to be careful about the direction of the low block) but otherwise it is okay on a running or passing play before a change of possession.

BigW
09-10-2003, 07:01 AM
There are a few other things you might want to think about when you consider 2 QB's.
Snaps from center, handoffs to RB's, and passes to WR's. All of these require practice, timing, and repetition. When you use 2 QB's, they are each only getting 1/2 of the repetition with the team, essentially only playing 1/2 a season. Most teams are going to the 7 on 7 during the summer to help their 1 QB get some extra practice and timing with their WR.
You can win with 2 QB's if they are both talented but, in the long run you will have less fumbles, complete more passes, and go farther in the playoffs if you get 1 leader and stick with him!

Old Cardinal
09-10-2003, 02:27 PM
Of course! Colleges and better HS teams do it all of the time. I think that the trend to have multiple QB's will continue by Playoff minded teams.