PDA

View Full Version : John Wayne's movie The Alamo coming to Encore Western Channel in Feb. and March, 2011

Phil C
01-18-2011, 09:34 PM
It will be shown several times but two of the prime times will be on Feb. 1, 2011 at 7 P.M. CST and again on March 7 at 7 P.M CST. It will be shown on other times on this channel so check your local tv guides for the times in your area. I know I have another thread on this one but this movie is extra special and deserves its' own thread. John Wayne produced and directed and starred in this movie as Davy Crockett and he does a great job all around. This movie was released in 1960 and was filmed in Texas. This channel is showing the theatre released version which is 162 minutes but is still worth seeing. There is a director's cut on video that runs 202 minutes and is usually the one shown on TCM. If you haven't seen the movie I recommend you watch the 162 min version first and when you can watch the longer one. I prefer the longer one but some prefer the shorter one. But by seeing them both you can compare. Also the longer version is available only by video for a reasonable price from Amazon and other web sites. The movie has a great cast also with Richard Widmark as Jim Bowie, Lawrence Harvey as Travis, Linda Crystal as Flaca, Chill Wills as the bee keeper, Ken Curtis (later Festus on Gunsmoke) as Captain Dickinson, Frankie Avalon as Smitty, Richard Boone as Sam Houston and many other great character actors. The scenery and sound are terrific. The final battle scene is terrific. This movie was nominated for Best Picture, Sound, and Best Supporting Actor in Chill Wills among other nominations. It only won for sound but it got recognized. The main neglect was pointed out by John Wayne that Lawrence Harvey should have also got nominated as best actor and he had a good point as you will see when you watch. I will put more information on this thread but if it would ruin it for you then please don't read. We know historically what happened so it won't be much of a spoiler but just in cast from now on SPOILER WARNINGS.
I hope you enjoy this great movie if you haven't seen it before and if you have I am sure you will enjoy watching it again. I also hope you enjoy my future comments.

SintonFan
01-25-2011, 10:35 PM
Phil I just added, "The Treasure Of The Sierra Madre" with Bogart to my Netflix queue.
Hope to make you proud.:cool:

I have seen The Alamo and thoroughly enjoyed it. :)

Trashman
01-28-2011, 04:39 PM
Phil C, I respect The Alamo and have it on DVD. A great movie indeed!:D

Phil C
01-28-2011, 09:52 PM
This is Frankie Avalon's version of the Green Leaves of Summer sang in the movie. I have heard that in this scene while Wayne and his men were in the Alamo that he sang this song to a blond girl who later was alarmed when he was slightly wounded and fainted. Unfortunately the scene where Frankie sang this song was cut out even in the director's cut. Probably the copy has been lost. Too bad. :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cPt_Ihvj9w&playnext=1&list=PL83D0C162CE0AD504