PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Apps

Bullaholic
01-17-2011, 04:43 PM
I guess am a gadget geek, and I really like some of the neat technology we enjoy in the 21st century. Admittedly, most of the gadgets and many of the iPhone apps are really entertainment toys and suffer somewhat in the practical useage dept. To each his own I guess, but some iPhone apps keep me amused from time to time, and are actually really useful. Some of my favs:

Google Places- This thing will look up almost anything in the way of places and tell you everything like how to get there from where you are, show you a pic of the place, and even call them if you want. You can do searches like.."seafood, denton, tx" and in a few secs all the seafood places in that locale will be listed, starting with the closest to your location and allow you to scroll thru all the places listed. Works for banks, hotels, even massage parlors, if you want...:D

TV.com- Allows you to view for free selected episodes of TV programs such as "Star Trek" , etc. with great quality and audio.

Star Walk- Shows you the heavenly bodies that are in the sky wherever you point the phone and lists them as you pan the phone. Has a database which gives you info on any of the celestial bodies when you tap on it.

Wunder Radio- Allows you to pick fav radio stations from locales and streams the broadcasts. Even lists some fire & police scanner streams.

Pandora- Allows you to pick songs or artists with a certain genre or style and allows you to crete custom stations with like song & artist characteristics for future listening.

Red Laser- Allows scanning with the iPhone camera of almost all barcodes and displays the info in text.

Word Lens- Uses the camera to view a foreign language sign and will actually translate the words into English.

Ain't technology kewl? :D

greendawg84
01-17-2011, 04:58 PM
Dont forget Angry Birds for when you want to slingshot a few birds..

Emerson1
01-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Pandora
AOL Radio - for streaming 105.3 the fan
ESPN Scorecenter
Soundhound - will listen to a song and tell you what it is
Amazon
Randy Rogers Band app
Tango - facetime over 3G
Splice - free video editor
FastFood - good for all types of food, finds places around you
Imageshack - upload images from phone
Dropbox - install on PC, upload from phone straight to PC without having to connect phone
BedIntruder

Bullaholic
01-17-2011, 05:24 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Pandora
AOL Radio - for streaming 105.3 the fan
ESPN Scorecenter
Soundhound - will listen to a song and tell you what it is
Amazon
Randy Rogers Band app
Tango - facetime over 3G
Splice - free video editor
FastFood - good for all types of food, finds places around you
Imageshack - upload images from phone
Dropbox - install on PC, upload from phone straight to PC without having to connect phone
BedIntruder

Dropbox looks pretty handy, Emerson, but BedIntruder is definitely not a 63yr-old's cup of tea...:D

jason
01-17-2011, 07:52 PM
i have a golf range finder on mine....its pretty accurate...

mwynn05
01-17-2011, 07:56 PM
dont most carts have those

baseballcoach13
01-17-2011, 09:25 PM
Www.mediamp4.com

You can thank me later. Not an app but website to watch free movies.

Emerson1
01-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by baseballcoach13
Www.mediamp4.com

You can thank me later. Not an app but website to watch free movies.
Yes thank you so much for allowing us to watch low quality movies on a computer screen.

Illegal btw.

baseballcoach13
01-17-2011, 10:09 PM
How long have you been the internet police?

Emerson1
01-17-2011, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by baseballcoach13
How long have you been the internet police?
2). Illegal activity topics are forbidden.

PPHSfan
01-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Geared
Netflix
Around Me
The Weather Channel
In House (win cool show stuff for House MD fans)

PPHSfan
01-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Show of hands is kinda cool tio

Emerson1
01-18-2011, 12:52 AM
5-0 Radio

Listen to police talk all over the place including a lot of Texas towns.

bobcat4life
01-18-2011, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
5-0 Radio

Listen to police talk all over the place including a lot of Texas towns. Me and my friend were listening to that a few weeks ago and heard a friend of ours get a ticket lol

Bullaholic
01-18-2011, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Show of hands is kinda cool tio

Talking to your uncle? :D

PPHSfan
01-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Talking to your uncle? :D

Lol. Fat fingers on my iPhone.

slpybear the bullfan
01-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Some of my faves (some mentioned already and some not)... Running on an iPhone4, latest software update, not jailbroken;

1.) Star Walk - I am an amateur astronomy nut. This is one of the coolest things I have used when looking at stars.

2.) Dropbox - Easiest way I have found to transfer files between any device.

3.) Simplenote - The note taking app for the iPhone is pretty good, but the layout and font gets old. I prefer a simple app for notes and this is exactly that. You also can setup an account and share your note between devices.

4.) Amazon, Ebay, Redlaser - All of these are shopping apps that I uses regularly. In a store and see something neat on the shelf? Scan the barcode with Amazon or Redlaser and get the best price from the net. Amazon and eBay both have decent interfaces to manage your accounts and shop online.

5.) American Airlines - if you travel often it is agreat app.

6.) DirecTv - great tool for managing your DVR from afar.

7.) MyNetDiary - If you are counting calories, tracking exercise, etc. this is the best app I have found. Track what you eat, calories you burn and more.

8.) RunKeeper - walk, run, or ride a bike... any way you do it this app offers GPS tracking and tells you all about your workout.

9.) ESPN Scorecenter - down and dirty way to get scores anytime.

10.) Hipstamatic and Camera+ - two really good camera apps that allow you to quickly add special effects. Kinda have to see it to check it out.

11.) Netflix - a great way for instant streaming of movies.

12.) Primos - the make of game calls has their own app with a several calls. not enough for a good stand, but its a good way to start.

Lots of other apps I love but those were a few that came to mind.