PDA

View Full Version : New Turf In Mustang Bowl

mustang84
01-17-2011, 11:27 AM
The new turf will be installed starting in March. Field will be named Durham Field. New turf was donated by Larry Durham Graduate of Sweetwater.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/content/shs-receives-donations-turf-scoreboard

slingshot
01-17-2011, 03:56 PM
It'll still be the Mustang Bowl to me...

95mustang
01-17-2011, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by slingshot

I think they ment it would be named Durham Field at Mustang Bowl.

pirate4state
01-17-2011, 04:06 PM
Hellas is the company Sinton is using for our new turf. It's being laid down right now !! :cheerl:

orange machine
01-17-2011, 08:06 PM
If the field turf is only lasting up to 10 or so years how is having field turf saving money at a cost of around 400,000 dollars every 10 years?

Sweetwater Red
01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by 95mustang
I think they ment it would be named Durham Field at Mustang Bowl.

It's still Mustang Bowl. Durham field will be marked on the turf around the 30 yard lines I
believe.

Sweetwater Red
01-17-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
If the field turf is only lasting up to 10 or so years how is having field turf saving money at a cost of around 400,000 dollars every 10 years?

I don't think it's a case of saving money. It brings in playoffs games and revenue into the
communities that have it. Especially if they have nice facilties to match.

Let me guess. Celina plays on grass?

orange machine
01-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
I don't think it's a case of saving money. It brings in playoffs games and revenue into the
communities that have it. Especially if they have nice facilties to match.

Let me guess. Celina plays on grass?
Nope feild turf. Everything that I've ever heard or read about says field turf saves money in the long run, but I dont see how that's possible if your spending 400,000 dollars ever 10 years. Water, gas for a mower and paint doesn't cost that much over a 10 year period.

loboes86
01-17-2011, 08:50 PM
Nope feild turf. Everything that I've ever heard or read about says field turf saves money in the long run, but I dont see how that's possible if your spending 400,000 dollars ever 10 years. Water, gas for a mower and paint doesn't cost that much over a 10 year period. Yeah but don't forget you have to have people to run lawnmowers and paint the fields, and move sprinklers so you have to figure their wages, insurance and etc..

orange machine
01-17-2011, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by loboes86
Yeah but don't forget you have to have people to run lawnmowers and paint the fields, and move sprinklers so you have to figure their wages, insurance and etc..
Not if the coaches do it. I know most small schools 3a and down alot of time the coaches do it.

orange machine
01-17-2011, 08:54 PM
I like the field turf for it's appearance until it starts fading from the sun.

Eagle1
01-17-2011, 08:57 PM
One thing to remember about field turf is it can e used 24 hrs. a day 7 days a week and the field is always perfectly striped. If you have a grass field you are always having to keep people off.

orange machine
01-17-2011, 09:08 PM
Here is a huge problem with field turf vandals, they can come in spray paint it rip it up burn it all kinds of things. Grass you can cover stuff up.

Sweetwater Red
01-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by loboes86
Yeah but don't forget you have to have people to run lawnmowers and paint the fields, and move sprinklers so you have to figure their wages, insurance and etc..

And this is why I'm thankful for Pancho Villa and his kind. Without them, who would we
have to take care of the grass fields? :(

Trashman
01-17-2011, 09:47 PM
Here is a huge problem with field turf vandals, they can come in spray paint it rip it up burn it all kinds of things. Grass you can cover stuff up.

Those same things can happen to grass fields. I know a certain unnamed vandal who sprayed a big CJC in the middle of Ranger Jr. Colleges field, using Roundup.:D

orange machine
01-17-2011, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Those same things can happen to grass fields. I know a certain unnamed vandal who sprayed a big CJC in the middle of Ranger Jr. Colleges field, using Roundup.:D
Yeah I know, but it doesn't cost near as much to fix a grass field as it does replacing new rubber.

jambo67
01-17-2011, 10:47 PM
What color will the turf be? New Braunfels Canyon just laid a red turf field in the style of Boise State's blue turf. It took awhile but a high school trend has been set.

orange machine
01-18-2011, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by jambo67
What color will the turf be? New Braunfels Canyon just laid a red turf field in the style of Boise State's blue turf. It took awhile but a high school trend has been set.
I think the Uil should step in on all these different color turfs and put a stop to it. It's ugly and in my opinion it takes away from the atmosphere of the game. Fields are supposed to be green or in some cases if you have grass brown because of the summer heat.

PPHSfan
01-18-2011, 07:59 AM

It only cost four hundred grand the first time. After the initial prep, replacement is much less. People love to donate and chip in for turf. Not so much for mowers and water. Turf has too much upside not to be efficient. However. Football should be played on grass. And that's the best argument against turf.

garciap77
01-18-2011, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by slingshot

!:2thumbsup

P.S. Wonder what Snyder is going to call it!:D

garciap77
01-18-2011, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
And this is why I'm thankful for Pancho Villa and his kind. Without them, who would we
have to take care of the grass fields? :(

Pancho runs lawnmowers and paints the fields, and moves sprinklers????:D

;)

ccmom
01-18-2011, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
It only cost four hundred grand the first time. After the initial prep, replacement is much less. People love to donate and chip in for turf. Not so much for mowers and water. Turf has too much upside not to be efficient. However. Football should be played on grass. And that's the best argument against turf.

But this is not Sweetwater's first time to get turf, and the article says the cost for replacement this time will be $390,000. I'm sure I'm missing or not understanding something. Set me straight.

Bone Pile
01-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan

The main arguements against turf fields is that it still needs to be maintained. Sweepers,conitioners,sprayers and sanitizing equipment. With all the blood,sweat,puke,spit etc. this is a great place for bacteria and thus the more cases of staph.
With grass you have a safer playing surface, a lot cooler playing conditions and the grass promotes healthier air you breathe. Without grass or trees there would be no clean air.
Yes the initial cost is very expensive,depending on the extent of work that needs to be done. The longevity of the field is 10-12 years depending on amount of play. Dont forget about replacing areas that need repair,you gonna match colors and seams? Then the replacement cost is at least 80-85% the cost of a new field. By now your equipment that is used to groom,wash and sanitize the fields needs replacing.
Believe it or not,you need people with snap to run this machinery.
If turf is SOOO great,why are NFL teams replacing it with grass?????
Just doesnt make sense to play on plastic and rubber. Oh yea,the rubber they use contains carsinigens(sp) that cause cancer. Why would you want this???

DaHop72
01-18-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
But this is not Sweetwater's first time to get turf, and the article says the cost for replacement this time will be $390,000. I'm sure I'm missing or not understanding something. Set me straight. NM:kiss: :kiss:

DaHop72
01-18-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
!:2thumbsup

P.S. Wonder what Snyder is going to call it!:D Well until something changes, it appears with our record there: Mustang Bowl, home of the Tigers!!!!:devil: :devil: