PDA

View Full Version : Would this work?????

XMan
01-16-2011, 12:10 AM
I am going to again bring up my favorite topic. If you traditionally cant stand my posts, i suggest you not read further. Ok, so football season ends sometime between first of Nov. and middle of Dec. Let us just for funs sake say that when football ends the athletes that plan on playing baseball in the spring could start meeting w/baseball coach during athletic period. 3 days per week, these said athletes could go to the weight room and lift the exact same routine as all the offseason guys. At some point these guys could also play catch for say 5-10 min to get arms in shape. The other 2 days per week, these guys could go with baseball coach and work on hitting/fielding/baserunning and other such non sense. We roll on to the end of Jan. and baseball can now go afterschool. The baseballers continue to go to baseball during said athletic period. Crazy idea but the baseballers do baseball activities/practice baseball during period. AFTER practice is over, baseball coach takes team into weight room and they lift weights AFTER baseball practice. Baseballers continue to lift all through the spring with the only exception being that baseball coach is in charge and the lifting is done after practice on Mon/Wed/Sat. When baseball ends between mid April and mid June, footballers head back with football coach and for the next 4 months do everything possible to get ready for football. I understand that fbc/ad types are usually egotistical, selfish people by nature, but with a little common sense and cooperation, things could really work well. Its time to stop thinking like its the 1940s, think outside the box a little and try to do whats right for kids. I just dont see a routine like this putting football so far behind that they cant keep up and preserve the hfc's job. Please let me know why this will or wont work and may god bless you and your season be great.

Ernest T Bass
01-16-2011, 02:06 AM
Ok, I'll play for real this time. At my school(5a, dfw area), this is how we do it and we have a very competitive football program and a state power baseball program.
The kids who play football and baseball go through football offseason just like everyone else. They're not expected to lift after school once b-ball starts and they don't lift at all on gamedays. All baseball work is done afterschool. Somehow, our baseball program manages to go 3-4 rounds deep every year, and we could be considered a "baseball school".

XMan
01-16-2011, 09:19 AM
Ernest, I appreciate your response but you didnt really answer what Im asking. Would this be a workable situation or not?

TheDOCTORdre
01-16-2011, 10:10 AM
poor horse

Ernest T Bass
01-16-2011, 11:28 AM
No, it wouldn't be. The way it's done here is the only workable situation if Im the ad.

ol country boy
01-16-2011, 11:29 AM
One reason I don't like kids lifting after practice is because the atmosphere is not the same. When you get all your kids in their & crank up the music and all your coaches get in there the atmosphere is different.

That is why we even lift during the athletic period during football season with the kids that don't play football.

Just my opinion.

Ernest T Bass
01-16-2011, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by ol country boy
One reason I don't like kids lifting after practice is because the atmosphere is not the same. When you get all your kids in their & crank up the music and all your coaches get in there the atmosphere is different.

That is why we even lift during the athletic period during football season with the kids that don't play football.

Just my opinion.

That's part of the positive about lifting after school. The atmosphere is more laid back, more conducive to comradare and team building. The more time the kids spend together, the better. We know there are some kids who come in to socialize and don't really get much lifting done. That's not good, but it's better than those kids going home and hanging out with the non-athletes.
But, most of our kids come in, get their lifts done, hang out a little while, then leave.

Rabid Cougar
01-16-2011, 12:04 PM
Everyone knows that playing high school baseball gets you nothing. You have to be on a high dollar select team to get noticed. So why bother with high school teams?

Same for softball... I asked a high dollar softball player if she had to choose between her high school team and her select team in regards to conflict in schedule.. she said that she would choose her select team every time.

My comments come strictly from my conversations with parents who have spent small fortunes on select teams.

NastySlot
01-16-2011, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar
Everyone knows that playing high school baseball gets you nothing. You have to be on a high dollar select team to get noticed. So why bother with high school teams?

Same for softball... I asked a high dollar softball player if she had to choose between her high school team and her select team in regards to conflict in schedule.. she said that she would choose her select team every time.

My comments come strictly from my conversations with parents who have spent small fortunes on select teams.

i not going to totally disagree with you but you sound like too many parents....fact is high school or "select" (more like select you if can afford to play).....if your kid is a big time player he/she going to get recruited by the big name school....the rest that play....got news for you I've coached those sports you mentioned on the high school level and have had kids get looks at universities on all levels......some even went on to sign...............my daughters have played on "select" (travel) ball teams out the Austin and S.A areas.....some good some bad...some just show for the tourneys and play (distances to great for all to make practices).....a kid playing on good "select" or high school team is going to get noticed...........I still have a pretty contacts list of college coaches and I still get info for schools around the country needing players.

also many h.s coaches are select ball coaches now....and many of those young female softball coaches for h.s are former select and college ball players.....so i would venture to say there is quite a bit of quality coaching out there.......difference is probably more fun to hang in the summer with a bunch of girls/boys from different schools with usually high talent levels................both need each other and coexsist.

sorry for the post high jack.

XMan
01-16-2011, 07:59 PM
Lets face it, what ive brought up is a very workable solution. The only problem with it is that its not whats always been done. It also doesnt allow the hfc to control the kids 24/7/365. For whatever reason, most hfcs feel they have to be in control of everything. Also, people often talk about sharing athletes. To me, if football has them all the time except for a couple hours after school between Feb and April, that isnt sharing. Sharing to me is one sport has them for a while, then the other sport has them for a while. What goes on most of the time is borrowing, not sharing. Ernest, I appreciate your demeanor in this discussion. I see that you are at a 5a which makes it different than small school. How many of the starting 10 in baseball at your school play football? I would have to believe it to not be more than 2 or 3 but I could be very wrong.

Yoe_09
01-16-2011, 10:50 PM

In a way I can see what you mean. If you can make one of the more expensive type teams it could help you out...but not that much. My brothers previous select team(which was local) used to beat teams like that all the time. Keep in mind that there are still costs involved such as travel, hotel, tournament fees, and food. We did travel all over the state(usually every weekend or every other weekend) and twice out of the state. The only real difference is the pay for the coaching and for the name on the jersey.

IMO, if prove yourself in HS you will be noticed.

lulu
01-17-2011, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by Yoe_09
In a way I can see what you mean. If you can make one of the more expensive type teams it could help you out...but not that much. My brothers previous select team(which was local) used to beat teams like that all the time. Keep in mind that there are still costs involved such as travel, hotel, tournament fees, and food. We did travel all over the state(usually every weekend or every other weekend) and twice out of the state. The only real difference is the pay for the coaching and for the name on the jersey.

IMO, if prove yourself in HS you will be noticed. I totally agree.My nephew has played bball since 5yrs old.
Every summer and fall until he got on the varsity. He even played select ball he has verbally committed to play college ball and his contact came because of his HS team. And we have decent teams but are not a baseball school nor do we have state ranked
teams every year.

Bullaholic
01-17-2011, 11:28 AM
Somebody wanna get pancho to answer this? :D

I am not a coach, so bear with me---but I have never understood why kids can't voluntarilly practice every sport as much as they want provided that it does not cause their academics to suffer. Too simple and naive of an answer maybe?

fbjm
01-17-2011, 11:53 AM
XMan -
Your proposal is doable....When our players finish a sport they go to the next sport's off-season program and stay there til season is over....when that season is over they go the next sport....whatever sport is in season kids stay with that sport....all lifting/conditioning is done in that sport...no problems....all teams are VERY competitive and play deep in playoffs....coaches and players got to communicate is bottom line.

Ernest T Bass
01-17-2011, 11:56 AM
We don't have that many athletes. Damned near every male athlete who's worth anything athletically plays both football and baseball here. It takes the full 5 days to get the full advantages of the offseason workout. Plus, we have a boot camp phase which, trust me, a kid doesn't wanna miss 2 days out of the week. That would make it impossible to complete.
Our HBC is one of the better known in the state. Has taken our boys at least 3 rounds deep the last 5 years, and to the quarters 3 of those 5 in what's probably the most competitive baseball area in Texas(think Plano West, Coppell, Southlake, Plano, etc...), and somehow, he makes it work by having practice only after school. Kids hit the field at 2:45, they're done by 4:30.

WildTexan972
01-17-2011, 12:18 PM

this might work for baseball, but softball is much more about recruiting high school players, not select teams....great players are often identified from the select teams, but most recruiting is done thru the school programs and it will always be that way....

she may like playing select better, but rarely is a girl noticed more after 15 yrs old from a select team....

GreenMonster
01-17-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by XMan
Lets face it, what ive brought up is a very workable solution. The only problem with it is that its not whats always been done. It also doesnt allow the hfc to control the kids 24/7/365. For whatever reason, most hfcs feel they have to be in control of everything. Also, people often talk about sharing athletes. To me, if football has them all the time except for a couple hours after school between Feb and April, that isnt sharing. Sharing to me is one sport has them for a while, then the other sport has them for a while. What goes on most of the time is borrowing, not sharing. Ernest, I appreciate your demeanor in this discussion. I see that you are at a 5a which makes it different than small school. How many of the starting 10 in baseball at your school play football? I would have to believe it to not be more than 2 or 3 but I could be very wrong. As the head baseball coach at a AA school I do not find your solution to be a solution, but rather a problem. Too many of my kids are multi-sport athletes for your method to be feasable. In the athletic period lift them all the same. Give them game days off to allow them to go to the baseball coach. We lift year-round in the period. It's the way it needs to be. All sports sans basketball at our school lift during the athletic period, and they would too if wasn't for limited gym space and scheduling conflicts with all 9 teams vying for floor time. If your kid wants to throw to get his arm in shape go after school to throw. I have 6 or more kids throwing every day after school. Baseball players need to be athletic and the weightroom helps a kid become more athletic. Strength also provides more than athleticism, it also provides injury protection. I want my baseball players strong and athletic but more importantly, on the field. The only way that I can insure that I know I have done my part in keeping my athletes healthy is to keep them in the weight rooom. We do a lot or shoulder stability movements with all of our kids because of the risk of injury to a high school age kid in football, basketball, and baseball is high for the shoulder. In football we see dislocations and separations, in basketball we see sore a/c joints from raising the ball to the basket and getting fouled by a defender swinging down, and in baseball we tend to see rotator cuff wear and tear. The best way to protect kids against those injuries is to prepare before hand and try to have that area strong. Oh, and by the way, when I visit with a scout this time of year he isn't asking me what kind of throwing and hitting routine the kid is going through he wants to know what kind of lifting program the kid is on. I have no idea what kind of program your son is in or what kind of man your AD is, but I think you are way off base with your broad accusations of head football coaches. Any baseball coach 3A and down worth his salt will tell you his kids need to be lifting year round and in the track program in order to get those kids to their optimum athleticism. That is why baseball practice starts around 4 or 4:30 at most schools 3A and down, so that the baseball kids can go through the track workout first. I just don't understand why you are so heavily against lifting. The benefits far out weight any amount of groundballs, flyballs, or extra swings your kid would get from going straight to baseball as soon as football ends. Check up on Albert Pujols and see how much time that guy spends lifting, Roger Clemens was a big workout guy, as was Nolan Ryan. The proof is in the pudding and if the pro's and collleges are lifting their athletes why would you not do the same? Better yet, why would I, as the coach not do the same? We lift!

GreenMonster
01-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
this might work for baseball, but softball is much more about recruiting high school players, not select teams....great players are often identified from the select teams, but most recruiting is done thru the school programs and it will always be that way....

she may like playing select better, but rarely is a girl noticed more after 15 yrs old from a select team....

Honestly, I disagree. I have every Big 12 South's Head Baseball coach personal cell number and numerous other major conference, minor conference, D-2, D-3, NAIA, and JUCO coaches numbers saved in the pnone book on my phone. I get calls on occassion and plenty of e-mails from college coaches looking for players. But the reality is that the college season is at the exact same time as the high school season in baseball and softball. These guys are busy coaching their own teams and do not have the time to out and watch a lot of hs baseball/softball. Sure, if they have their eye on a couple of kids they will make a point to get out and see them but their #1 recruiting tool is the summer programs. I got all of those guys numbers out on the summer select circuit not because they came to watch my AA team mix it up in district play against another AA team. It's just not practical to even think that college coaches are heavily recruiting the high schools. Instead, what they are doing is mining through a large number of hs coaches and sifting through all of their opinions to find the gems that remain in the pan once all of their sifting is done. Then they go watch these kids in the summertime to really make up their mind. I'm not saying that school coaches aren't important in the process, bucause they are, I'm just saying the bulk of the recruiting happens in the summer leagues where they seek out the kids that they have heard good things about from the HS coaches. I know that I have a goood enough repoire with a few guys that they can call me and ask what I think of so and so and they can trust I'm going to tell them the truth and they reward me by throwing me an occasional bone at the end of the recruiting season and they still need a third baseman because the 2 kids they were hot on signed elsewhere. Then they call me and say coach I'm in a bind and I need a third baseman. Do you have anyone in mind that might work out? I give them a name and they sign him because they were without. It's just the way it works sometimes. Now when I have a kid that I think is nails I'm going to be calling those coaches and telling them before hand they need to come watch this kid play. As for pro scouts, that's an entirely different ballgame. They can be anywhere at anytime. I've had them show up at practice, scrimmages, and games.

XMan
01-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Green monster, your reading comprehension is not that good. I was saying that the baseball guys should lift all through the school year. I was saying that that was important. The difference is that im saying you should take grounders/throw and hit during the period and you can have open weight room all night long if you want. If you truly think a strong kid that cant hit/throw/or catch a grounder can beat a weaker kid that can do those things, you go for it. It doesnt neccessarily take stronger, more athletic kids to win in baseball, its takes kids that can play baseball well. You got 1 guy that can throw 90, it doesnt matter how much he benches, he is going to strike out a lot of guys. Your ss can be weak as hell, but if he can field and throw to first, he is money. just my .02. I know im probably wrong but thats ok too.

cotulla
01-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Green Monster - did you really say this?

Roger Clemens was a big workout guy

Sorry, but that made me laugh today!

Bottom line is every school is different. What works at one, does not work at the other. A good coach finds what works best for his kids and then makes it happen.

How many coaches in the athletic period? How many athletes? How big is weight room? How many gyms? The list goes on and on.

The biggest question is this: are all coaches all on-board? If you are doing seperate off-seasons are all coaches committed to a strength and conditioning program. Let's face it, kids today are of the "what can you do for me" mindset. If one program is helping kids get into college and getting in the playoffs and making better athletes they will flock to that program.

Select - "necessary evil"
I've had 6 kids in the last 5 years lucky enough to go on to the college level. I've talked to 2 of their coaches. All but one played select. It's not necessary, but it sure does not hurt.
If you are a stud, they will find you. The first question I get asked is, "what select team do they play on?" Yes, that's when they can see them play and it gives the coach an idea of what competition level the athlete is accustomed to playing against. Select is not going anywhere... successful coaches embrace it. Look at all the state tournaments of select sports: baseball, basketball, softball, volleyball, soccer of all classifications. Club sports are part of each and everyone one. 1A to 5A.

I've heard of schools making kids sign contracts saying they will not participate in sports outside of school... geez, have I moved to Cuba?

Txbroadcaster
01-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972

disagree 100%..talked to a BUNCH of College softball coaches and almost to a person they say they find their players in select teams because they simply cannot see a bunch of HS players playing for their HS because the seasons play at the same time

Ernest T Bass
01-17-2011, 11:18 PM
Select leagues have killed UIL soccer and tennis. They're starting to kill basketball, volleyball, and baseball in the metro areas, as well as junior high football.

partimefan
01-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Select leagues have killed UIL soccer and tennis. They're starting to kill basketball, volleyball, and baseball in the metro areas, as well as junior high football.

And, they will get to football eventually. Sadly, athletics is headed out of the public school system.

cotulla
01-18-2011, 09:01 AM
ernest - your definition of kill must be different than my definition.

I would venture that UIL athletics is thriving.

pancho villa
01-18-2011, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by XMan
I am going to again bring up my favorite topic. If you traditionally cant stand my posts, i suggest you not read further. Ok, so football season ends sometime between first of Nov. and middle of Dec. Let us just for funs sake say that when football ends the athletes that plan on playing baseball in the spring could start meeting w/baseball coach during athletic period. 3 days per week, these said athletes could go to the weight room and lift the exact same routine as all the offseason guys. At some point these guys could also play catch for say 5-10 min to get arms in shape. The other 2 days per week, these guys could go with baseball coach and work on hitting/fielding/baserunning and other such non sense. We roll on to the end of Jan. and baseball can now go afterschool. The baseballers continue to go to baseball during said athletic period. Crazy idea but the baseballers do baseball activities/practice baseball during period. AFTER practice is over, baseball coach takes team into weight room and they lift weights AFTER baseball practice. Baseballers continue to lift all through the spring with the only exception being that baseball coach is in charge and the lifting is done after practice on Mon/Wed/Sat. When baseball ends between mid April and mid June, footballers head back with football coach and for the next 4 months do everything possible to get ready for football. I understand that fbc/ad types are usually egotistical, selfish people by nature, but with a little common sense and cooperation, things could really work well. Its time to stop thinking like its the 1940s, think outside the box a little and try to do whats right for kids. I just dont see a routine like this putting football so far behind that they cant keep up and preserve the hfc's job. Please let me know why this will or wont work and may god bless you and your season be great.

You are kidding right? You need to move to another state! Standaround is for non-athletes anyway.

Ernest T Bass
01-18-2011, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by cotulla
ernest - your definition of kill must be different than my definition.

I would venture that UIL athletics is thriving.

Only in certain sports, and only in metro areas. Don't think Cotulla, Texas(from your screen name) has many club leagues.
UIL soccer in the DFW area is a joke. Anyone with any shot at playing at the D1 level plays for the club leagues and doesn't waste their time with their HS team. Tennis is the same way. AAU is taking over basketball, but it's well enough established that they'll probably never try to add a winter league. Volleyball is starting to go to the club leagues in the more affluent areas. We're one of the few schools in the DFW area where the good baseball players also play football, b/c most of them play in the fall club leagues.

NastySlot
01-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Only in certain sports, and only in metro areas. Don't think Cotulla, Texas(from your screen name) has many club leagues.
UIL soccer in the DFW area is a joke. Anyone with any shot at playing at the D1 level plays for the club leagues and doesn't waste their time with their HS team. Tennis is the same way. AAU is taking over basketball, but it's well enough established that they'll probably never try to add a winter league. Volleyball is starting to go to the club leagues in the more affluent areas. We're one of the few schools in the DFW area where the good baseball players also play football, b/c most of them play in the fall club leagues.

he is not from Cotulla.......

Club/Travel/Select/AAU teams and High school teams can co-exsist............I don't put too much stock in that a kid needs to play Club/Select to get a scholarship....it can and does happen with out playing ...a player (athlete) is going to be found.....I don't think all these straight one sport athletes do themselves a justice....that's what "kills" programs. Also any good high school coach working with parents and the athlete can find a kid a place to play on the next level.............I often wondered about all the money parents pump into the cost of joining a team private instruction and coaching, travel, food etc over a long period of time....im sure all that money if saved would be a good start for a college fund.....esp when a majority of kids are getting partial(baseball/softball) or scholarships (money) based on academics(d3).

true that the exposure the kids do receive comes from the large exposure tournaments that can draw hundreds of kids to play in from all over the country...it's a lot easier for the college staff so see mulitple players in a given weekend..........but two things i will always remember about players being recruited i coached.. as told to me by DI coaches.....first recruiting services are overrated and the other came from a big name coach at an SEC school.....when he called me to ask about a player...he told me he wanted to know what kind of person the kid be recruited was...what was she like in class, around and with players on a lower skill level.....and that a "select" coach will say anything true or not cause his/her programs rep. grows if that player reaches D1.

Elite camps are where a lot of kids are getting exposure and evalution also.

last...without the outside teams...the talent of athletes in Texas would lag behind the rest of the country.....example....last night Bobby Knight made reference to the talent of Texas basketball players now....he credited High School coaching and noted that as late as the eighties Texas kids couldn't attend summer camps etc....(that included baseball also).....I don't think there is more talent...it's just been given a chance to be seen.

I say both can exsist if egos are willing to work together.

Ernest T Bass
01-18-2011, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot
he is not from Cotulla.......

Club/Travel/Select/AAU teams and High school teams can co-exsist............I don't put too much stock in that a kid needs to play Club/Select to get a scholarship....it can and does happen with out playing ...a player (athlete) is going to be found.....I don't think all these straight one sport athletes do themselves a justice....that's what "kills" programs. Also any good high school coach working with parents and the athlete can find a kid a place to play on the next level.............I often wondered about all the money parents pump into the cost of joining a team private instruction and coaching, travel, food etc over a long period of time....im sure all that money if saved would be a good start for a college fund.....esp when a majority of kids are getting partial(baseball/softball) or scholarships (money) based on academics(d3).

true that the exposure the kids do receive comes from the large exposure tournaments that can draw hundreds of kids to play in from all over the country...it's a lot easier for the college staff so see mulitple players in a given weekend..........but two things i will always remember about players being recruited i coached.. as told to me by DI coaches.....first recruiting services are overrated and the other came from a big name coach at an SEC school.....when he called me to ask about a player...he told me he wanted to know what kind of person the kid be recruited was...what was she like in class, around and with players on a lower skill level.....and that a "select" coach will say anything true or not cause his/her programs rep. grows if that player reaches D1.

Elite camps are where a lot of kids are getting exposure and evalution also.

last...without the outside teams...the talent of athletes in Texas would lag behind the rest of the country.....example....last night Bobby Knight made reference to the talent of Texas basketball players now....he credited High School coaching and noted that as late as the eighties Texas kids couldn't attend summer camps etc....(that included baseball also).....I don't think there is more talent...it's just been given a chance to be seen.

I say both can exsist if egos are willing to work together.

I didn't say that club leagues were necessary to play at the next level, but it's happening anyway. It's not about egos, it's about money. Club and select coaches make money from players. So, they're going to do and say whatever they have to do to get the kids and keep them. If they don't win, they don't get the kids, so they don't mind destroying the HS programs for their own benefit. So, they convince the kids and parents that the club league is where the exposure and best coaching is at, and once they get enough talented kids, that becomes the truth.
Luckily, Texas high school football is an institution and the varsity FB coaches in this state are the best in the country. So, we're probably safe. But the junior high programs are starting to suffer, a little.

NastySlot
01-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I didn't say that club leagues were necessary to play at the next level, but it's happening anyway. It's not about egos, it's about money. Club and select coaches make money from players. So, they're going to do and say whatever they have to do to get the kids and keep them. If they don't win, they don't get the kids, so they don't mind destroying the HS programs for their own benefit. So, they convince the kids and parents that the club league is where the exposure and best coaching is at, and once they get enough talented kids, that becomes the truth.
Luckily, Texas high school football is an institution and the varsity FB coaches in this state are the best in the country. So, we're probably safe. But the junior high programs are starting to suffer, a little.

sorry i didn't mean to imply anything with your post....I was replying about Cotulla not really being from Cotulla....(he's a great guy)......I just continued my rant to that.....sorry.

i agree with you about football being an institution and once xman realizes ....football needs it's players in the off-season...for wts, etc and that there is not outside select or club going to help it...that is why football coaches want athletes in the wt room and in football.

NastySlot
01-18-2011, 10:37 AM
are you an eagle by any chance?

cotulla
01-18-2011, 12:07 PM
so if clubs and leagues outside of UIL is killing programs and sports let's go back to the '80s!

I heard the same thing that Bobby Knight said last night. Let's go back to that?? He said that Texas athletes could not go to "camps" in the summer. He did not add that they could also not play on teams in the off-season... well they could, but you were ineligible to play for UIL. Will that help the overall talent level of our kids?

If you want to get rid of outside club participation you will also have to outlaw 7 on 7... uh-oh Jimmy I see a huge problem! Think THSCA will ever go for that?

We have had our share of kids be single sport athletes. In the last 2 years, 2 graduated All-State, played high level club, and is and will play at the college level. Both of those kids high jumped in track at their choice and my encouraging. Both were not very athletic and average skilled when they finished their freshman season and decided to stick to one sport. It was their decision and I will always wonder what they would have turned out to be like if they had not concentrated on one sport?

We have also had our share of multi-sport athletes... I tell each family and athlete it's their decision to do what's right for them. I always have and always will encourage athletes to play multi-sports. I tell them, the games and teammates are what make athletics fun... practice is the boring part, why would you want to do off-season 6 months out of the school year?

bobcat1
01-18-2011, 12:15 PM
practice is the boring part, why would you want to do off-season 6 months out of the school year? To win!

cotulla
01-18-2011, 12:20 PM
Ha, there's one vote for single sport athletes!

I'm not saying off-season is not important. It's crucial. For non-football sports especially... if you don't get better in off-season you're left behind.

Ernest T Bass
01-18-2011, 12:23 PM
It's not the existance, it's the practice that's the problem. When club leagues play at the same time as UIL. When club coaches are convincing parents and kids to quit the HS teams and focus on the club teams. The whole "one sport" mentality(kids should be involved in as many things as possible, in my opinion). These are the things that are killing the HS teams. It's not the existance of the clubs, it's the way they operate.

bobcat1
01-18-2011, 12:25 PM
Ha, there's one vote for single sport athletes!

I'm not saying off-season is not important. It's crucial. For non-football sports especially... if you don't get better in off-season you're left behind. Why yes you are correct on all counts.

cotulla
01-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Ernest - agreed!

Hornet Mom 2
01-28-2011, 01:07 PM
Ok, here I go...:D

Caldwell has struggled on the baseball field the last couple of seasons...they graduated 11 seniors from the baseball team in 2008 - my oldest son being one of them.

2009 Varsity had zero, absolutely no, varsity experience. We won 5 games in 2009.

2010 we went 12-12 and lost seven 1-run games. Improvement yes, play-off ready, no.

2011 we have the experience of six returning starters (4 seniors and 2 juniors - 3 of those are pitchers). Hoping to make some kind of run this year.

College scouts are not going to come watch 3a team that is 5-19 or 12-12. They, as has been said earlier in this thread, are running their own teams at the same time HS baseball is going on. They might come to the 3a quarter's or semi's, and the championship, but you won't see them very often at a district game.

Please know this is not a bragging session for me, just an FYI. My son, who is a junior, currently has 2 D1 schools, 3 D2 schools and 3 JC's that are interested in him. That is because of the summer/fall program he is involved with, not because of high school baseball.

NastySlot
01-28-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by Hornet Mom 2
Ok, here I go...:D

Caldwell has struggled on the baseball field the last couple of seasons...they graduated 11 seniors from the baseball team in 2008 - my oldest son being one of them.

2009 Varsity had zero, absolutely no, varsity experience. We won 5 games in 2009.

2010 we went 12-12 and lost seven 1-run games. Improvement yes, play-off ready, no.

2011 we have the experience of six returning starters (4 seniors and 2 juniors - 3 of those are pitchers). Hoping to make some kind of run this year.

College scouts are not going to come watch 3a team that is 5-19 or 12-12. They, as has been said earlier in this thread, are running their own teams at the same time HS baseball is going on. They might come to the 3a quarter's or semi's, and the championship, but you won't see them very often at a district game.

Please know this is not a bragging session for me, just an FYI. My son, who is a junior, currently has 2 D1 schools, 3 D2 schools and 3 JC's that are interested in him. That is because of the summer/fall program he is involved with, not because of high school baseball.

right because the college coaches are out there noticing him and others at big exposure tournaments...........does you son's team ever play other "select" teams in single games and have college coaches show up? It's all about convince and logic. Your son is gettng his looks because of the opportunity to play teams and talent equal to his. Does you son play other sports?

Congrats to you and your son I hope things will work out for him if he is getting attention and interest it has to be because he has the talent and more importantly has worked hard for this opportunity.

Hornet Mom 2
01-28-2011, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by NastySlot
right because the college coaches are out there noticing him and others at big exposure tournaments...........does you son's team ever play other "select" teams in single games and have college coaches show up? It's all about convince and logic. Your son is gettng his looks because of the opportunity to play teams and talent equal to his. Does you son play other sports?

Congrats to you and your son I hope things will work out for him if he is getting attention and interest it has to be because he has the talent and more importantly has worked hard for this opportunity.

He played JV football his freshman year and varsity as a sophomore. He decided after his sophomore baseball season to focus there. He has paid a small price for that - being ignored by some coaches and told to "man up" and play football. He has made his decision and we are behind him 100%.

He plays summer/fall ball for the Brazos Valley Renegades. They play mostly in the Texas Showcase League (TSL) in the summer and Sunday double-headers in the fall.