PDA

View Full Version : What's in your wallet?

nobogey72
01-13-2011, 05:47 PM
I have always used my Bank of America credit card for everything gas, groceries, hookers, everything and then just pay it off so that I could accumulate points and I used the points to buy golf balls. It started out with 3500 points would buy a dozen Titleist Pro-Vs. It has gradually gone up to 8500 points for the same dozen balls. What are some of the good cards as far as the reward goes. I don't want airline miles, because there's not anywhere I want to go. Celina and Brownwood are both my "dream" places to go, and they are both within driving distance. :D Anybody got any suggestions? I see all the ads on TV but don't know anything specific.

ccmom
01-13-2011, 05:56 PM
When bankers start asking for financial advice on high school football boards...well, anyway....good luck with that! :doh: :p

Bullaholic
01-13-2011, 05:56 PM
http://www.americanexpress.com/lacidc/iccsite/american_express_centurion_card_benefits.shtml

bobcat1
01-13-2011, 06:05 PM
I dislike all credit cards. Legalized lone sharks! Good old debit card works for me. I don't like car payments either and have none of those. My boat is different. 3 more years on it but the interest rate was real good. :D

Bullaholic
01-13-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
I dislike all credit cards. Legalized lone sharks! Good old debit card works for me. I don't like car payments either and have none of those. My boat is different. 3 more years on it but the interest rate was real good. :D

Same here, bobcat---gave the credit cards up years ago.

nobogey72
01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
When bankers start asking for financial advice on high school football boards...well, anyway....good luck with that! :doh: :p

we aren't in the credit card business so I don't know squat about what's out there. I don't know squat about much of anything, really. Except I know I don't like paying cash for golf balls. When I was getting about a dozen a month in the mail, it seemed like I was getting them for free.

BreckTxLonghorn
01-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
http://www.americanexpress.com/lacidc/iccsite/american_express_centurion_card_benefits.shtml

While I'm sure Bogey has received many invites for this, for us cretins there are also a few different Amex's that do points and cash back. I have a personal card, called the 'One', which gives me 1.5% back and a low fee. Standard Amex has a points add-on, which I do for my corporate card.

Chase (my bank) has also tried to see me on a version of ther points card (signature? choice? something like that), and I heard Discover gives 5% back?

Just some options.

nobogey72
01-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Same here, bobcat---gave the credit cards up years ago.

I don't like them either except for the points. Knock on wood, but I haven't paid a finance charge in years on a credit card. If I get to where I can't pay it at the end of the month then I'll cut it up.

Bullaholic
01-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I don't like them either except for the points. Knock on wood, but I haven't paid a finance charge in years on a credit card. If I get to where I can't pay it at the end of the month then I'll cut it up.

Remember, bogey---Old bankers never die---they just lose interest....:D

Yoe_09
01-13-2011, 06:48 PM
I do not own 1 credit card and do not plan on getting one anytime soon. I use debit wherever I go and carry little cash.

Bull's-eye
01-13-2011, 06:54 PM
I had a CitiBank card that once was giving me 5% on all my gas purchases, but they currently have reduced that to 1%. Discover has quarterly promotions up to 5% of things like hotels, airfares, gas, groceries, restaurants, etc., but it is limited to a maxium of $300 in purchases.

catman
01-13-2011, 07:27 PM
I basically use 3 different cards and always pay the balance off every month. I redeem my points for cash back or credit towards my next month's balance. I also redeem for restaurant gift cards, where I can get a $50 card for $40 or $45 worth of points.

I use a Bank of America Power Rewards Signature Visa card. This quarter they are paying 5% at gas stations, grocery, restaurants, and drug stores for up to $2500 worth of purchases.

Also a Chase Freedom World MasterCard paying 5% at grocery and drug stores for up to purchases totaling up to $1500 this quarter.

And a Discover card paying 5% for restaurant purchases totaling up to $800 in purchases. For March only, Discover will also offer 5% for grocery and drug store purchases. I don't yet know the dollar limit on that one though.

Some quarters have offers for other things like travel, hotels, etc. You need to be proactive and check each card's website the week before the next quarter and sign up to get the rewards.

Ranger Mom
01-13-2011, 07:47 PM

Same here, but my debit card gives me "Thank You points" each month.

I get 3 points for every dollar if it used as a credit, and 2 points if used as a debit. Not a huge amount of points, but it was enough to get gas cards that paid all my gas to and from the State Track meet the last 2 times I went. And since I didn't go last year, I got 3 $50 Home Depot cards

SintonFan
01-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
And since I didn't go last year, I got 3 $50 Home Depot cards

I'll buy those off of you for $75 CASH!:)

I'll be in HD and Lowes alot from here to July.:nerd:

coach
01-13-2011, 11:10 PM
well there were some party ballons but p4s used them all

Bull's-eye
01-13-2011, 11:46 PM
I dislike all credit cards. Legalized lone sharks! Good old debit card works for me.

Just read this on Yahoo about the serets of a former credit card thief.

CreditCards.com: What about debit cards?

DeFilippi: I always recommend against them. With debit cards, it's your real money in your bank account you're playing with. So if someone gets your debit card information and uses it, your cash is gone until you fill out a lot of paperwork and persuade the bank to give it back to you. Credit cards are much better at protecting you against fraud.

ccmom
01-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
I don't know squat about much of anything, really. No argument from me!! :D

Ranger Mom
01-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Just read this on Yahoo about the serets of a former credit card thief.

CreditCards.com: What about debit cards?

DeFilippi: I always recommend against them. With debit cards, it's your real money in your bank account you're playing with. So if someone gets your debit card information and uses it, your cash is gone until you fill out a lot of paperwork and persuade the bank to give it back to you. Credit cards are much better at protecting you against fraud.

If it is used as a "debit" then yes, hard to prove it. My debit card was "compromised" last year to the tune of $1,180 (but all charges were used as "credit").....the bank refunded every last penny!!!