PDA

View Full Version : The Dallas D and turnovers

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Great research by Bob Sturm

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/01/bob-sturm-3.html

Dallas was 6-1 When plus in the turnover margin( only loss was the first Giants game when Dallas had a lead when Romo gets hurts)

Dallas was 6-3 when they got at least two tunovers

Dallas was 0-7 when getting one or no turnovers.

Bullaholic
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Conclusion: The "D" lets down when Romo plays. It's all Romo's fault. :D

Ernest T Bass
01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster

Dallas was 6-1 When plus in the turnover margin( only loss was the first Giants game when Dallas had a lead when Romo gets hurts)

Shocking.

PPHSfan
01-12-2011, 10:38 AM
I'm guessing 6-3 is a lousy record with two turnovers. Bet there are a couple 9-0 8-1 teams with two or more turnovers.

Farmersfan
01-12-2011, 12:46 PM
It's too cold to be fishing today TX!!! :D

GrTigers6
01-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
It's too cold to be fishing today TX!!! :D Just take an Ice cutting bit. :D

Farmersfan
01-12-2011, 12:56 PM

Now for the rest of the story:

The Cowboys didn't lose those 7 games because the defense didn't get turnovers. They lost those 7 games because 20 of the 30 offensive giveaways came in those 7 games! Dallas was -18 in those 7 games. Of course they lost.

Ernest T Bass
01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
So more turnovers=more wins? No way!!!

DDBooger
01-12-2011, 12:57 PM
:1popcorn: gonna sit back and enjoy this one :D

LoboesWT
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
So more turnovers=more wins? No way!!!

Let me write that down!:D

Ernest T Bass
01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Ok, color me confused. I don't see what the big deal is. Not turning the ball over + forcing the other team to = wins. Pretty much a universial football truth, there. I'm undefeated with zero turnovers.

eagles_victory
01-12-2011, 01:17 PM
So more turnovers=more wins? No way!!! Next thing your going to tell me is Dallas was undefeated in games when they scored more points than the other team.

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2011, 01:20 PM
Now for the rest of the story:

The Cowboys didn't lose those 7 games because the defense didn't get turnovers. They lost those 7 games because 20 of the 30 offensive giveaways came in those 7 games! Dallas was -18 in those 7 games. Of course they lost.

I will never understand as much as you proclaim about the Cowboy offense and turnovers then try to disregard the defense getting turnovers.

I never ONCE made a comment about the Dallas offense and their turnovers..Just as many times before on this topic, your quick to throw in the offensive turnovers in a discussion that is not about that.

If your D is getting one or less in turnovers, then your going to be - in the margin in a game 9 times out of ten

Bull's-eye
01-12-2011, 01:47 PM

Curious to see how this stacks up against the NFL average? I would think the more turnovers, the better chances of winning the game. In that Giants game, Dallas was dominated by the NY offense. The Giants rushed for 200 yards & passed for nearly 300 yards. Dallas struggled with only 41 yards rushing & finished with 213 yards through the air. The turnovers & Bryant's punt return kept the Cowboys in the game, even though the Giants doubled them in yardage.

Farmersfan
01-12-2011, 05:02 PM
I will never understand as much as you proclaim about the Cowboy offense and turnovers then try to disregard the defense getting turnovers.

I never ONCE made a comment about the Dallas offense and their turnovers..Just as many times before on this topic, your quick to throw in the offensive turnovers in a discussion that is not about that.

If your D is getting one or less in turnovers, then your going to be - in the margin in a game 9 times out of ten

A turnover helps the team that gets the ball! But it litteral criples the team that loses the ball. A defense can still stop their opponents without the turnover! But a offense cannot score if they turns the ball over! So it is by far much more important that your offense doesn't turn the ball over than it is for your defense to take the ball away.
In the example you posted, both you and Bob Sturm are blaming the defense for the 0-7 record because they didn't have a lot of takeaways and yet the offense had 20 giveaways. This defense would have had to break NFL records in takeaways in those 7 games to offset the giveaways by the offense!!!

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2011, 05:22 PM
In the example you posted, both you and Bob Sturm are blaming the defense for the 0-7 record because they didn't have a lot of takeaways and yet the offense had 20 giveaways. This defense would have had to break NFL records in takeaways in those 7 games to offset the giveaways by the offense!!!

Or maybe the D could have gotten just ONE turnover or another turnover

I understand to an extent what your saying( and never said I did not)...but to act like it is no big deal if a D can create turnovers or not makes no sense to me.

The Dallas D was terrible all year...but once they started creating turnovers Dallas started winning.

Teams can survive a turnover on offense, as long as their D is creating them. If the D does not create turnovers it forces the offense ot basically be perfect

Ernest T Bass
01-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Ahhhh, now I get it ;)

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2011, 05:47 PM
Ahhhh, now I get it ;)

u suck:D

Farmersfan
01-12-2011, 07:05 PM

I understand to an extent what your saying( and never said I did not)...but to act like it is no big deal if a D can create turnovers or not makes no sense to me.

The Dallas D was terrible all year...but once they started creating turnovers Dallas started winning.

Teams can survive a turnover on offense, as long as their D is creating them. If the D does not create turnovers it forces the offense ot basically be perfect

You are blaming the defense for something they didn't do and ignoring the offense for something they did! The turnover by the offense is considered a MISTAKE! The absence of a takeaway by the defense isn't a mistake..... There is a difference!

"Teams can survive a turnover on offense, as long as their D is creating them." :doh: :doh:

What if your basketball team only has one scorer or one good player and the other 4 players just have turnovers and missed shots? Is the loss the fault of the one good player because he doesn't get enough steals or points? ;) This is what your logic sounds like to me. Sorry!

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2011, 07:30 PM
You are blaming the defense for something they didn't do and ignoring the offense for something they did! The turnover by the offense is considered a MISTAKE! The absence of a takeaway by the defense isn't a mistake..... There is a difference!

"Teams can survive a turnover on offense, as long as their D is creating them." :doh: :doh:

What if your basketball team only has one scorer or one good player and the other 4 players just have turnovers and missed shots? Is the loss the fault of the one good player because he doesn't get enough steals or points? ;) This is what your logic sounds like to me. Sorry!

Not sure where I have ever ignored the offense and turnovers..If you want to create a thread on it lets discuss it, but you always bring up the offense when the topic is the Dallas defense.

Your basketball anaolgy would work if the Dallas D was the good player..problem is it was not, by a long shot.

Farmersfan
01-13-2011, 10:15 AM
Not sure where I have ever ignored the offense and turnovers..If you want to create a thread on it lets discuss it, but you always bring up the offense when the topic is the Dallas defense.

Your basketball anaolgy would work if the Dallas D was the good player..problem is it was not, by a long shot.

This post was about the Turnover Ratio for the Cowboys this season TX. That is 50% about the offense.

Txbroadcaster
01-13-2011, 10:50 AM
This post was about the Turnover Ratio for the Cowboys this season TX. That is 50% about the offense.

here is the thing

with Romo as QB Dallas averaged 1.83 turnovers on offense...with Kitna/Mcgee 1.93..

The Dallas D in that same span..1.5 turnovers created with Romo/Phillips...and the majority of that was in 2 games

after...Dallas D created 2.1 turnovers a game