PDA

View Full Version : Is it true Jimmy Johnson being considered for Texas A&M job?

hotstuff
10-23-2002, 03:00 PM
I've heard that Jimmy Johnson, Terry Bowden and Gary Kubiak are among candidates and that the new university president is adamant about a change. Any input on this?

CentralTxFan
10-23-2002, 03:10 PM
WE CAN HOPE!!!!!!! Anyone has to be better than RC has been the past few years. The kids just don't want to play for him and it is hurting A&M. I hope the "rumors" are true!

hotrod
10-23-2002, 03:15 PM
It is true that J.J. was there for a couple weeks, about 2-3 weeks ago. What I heard was that it was either for the head coaching, or A.D. job. Someone did a story on him not too long after he left. J.J. said he had no interest in coaching again, he loved his boat and fishing. Stay tunned........

CentralTxFan
10-23-2002, 03:25 PM
They just got a new AD..surely they aren't trying to get rid of him already? Please JJ come back to Texas...LOL How about a writing campaign to Florida? Anyone interested?

hotstuff
10-23-2002, 03:32 PM
COUNT ME IN! Any time a coaching prospect "categorically denies" he's been interviewed, there's more to it than he's willing to talk about. If he does, woe be unto Austin! :p

hotstuff
10-23-2002, 04:10 PM
How long was Johnson in College Station - and if not for coaching purposes - why?

CentralTxFan
10-23-2002, 04:14 PM
Hotstuff, good question. I am going to look back in the 12th man newsletters and see if they talked about him being there. I think I might have read that but skipped over it. I should have paid more attention, I suppose.

hotstuff
10-23-2002, 04:34 PM
That would be strange if Johnson was to replace Slocum. Johnson is from Port Arthur and Slocum from Orange.

Reveille
10-23-2002, 04:44 PM
Here is a link to an article with JJ and the A&M
situation.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/fb/fbc/1621961

Doesn't sound like he is coming, but who knows. Have not heard a thing on Bowden or Kubiak as of late.

CentralTxFan
10-23-2002, 04:50 PM
frown

Bulldog92
10-23-2002, 06:19 PM
I think Kubiak would be the best fit, but he's joined at the hip with Shanahan. He seems to have chances to move on every year and always turns it down. I remember back in '99 when Neuheisel left Colorado to come here to coach UW. Kubiak had all of Denver and the powers that be in Boulder convinced that he was taking that job and backed out at the last minute. Was he waiting for the opportunity to go back to College Station? Maybe so...and I think he would take it this time. It'll be interesting to see how this develops...

CHS_2004
10-23-2002, 09:38 PM
In my opinion, anybody would be better than RC. He is hurting the football program at A&M that was once a noteworthy program. I'm for anyone but RC.