PDA

View Full Version : A little Shotwell history

Gsquared
01-12-2011, 10:18 AM
"The longest field goal in the history of all levels of organized football was kicked at Shotwell Stadium. On October 16, 1976, Ove Johannson, the Swedish-born placekicker for Abilene Christian University, kicked a 69-yard field goal against East Texas State University in ACU's homecoming win against the Lions" Wikipedia

nobogey72
01-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
"The longest field goal in the history of all levels of organized football was kicked at Shotwell Stadium. On October 16, 1976, Ove Johannson, the Swedish-born placekicker for Abilene Christian University, kicked a 69-yard field goal against East Texas State University in ACU's homecoming win against the Lions" Wikipedia

Yes, and I was there. Ove was hilarious, he could barely speak English, just enough to get by. On his kickoffs, most of which went through the uprights, he would jump around thinking he had scored some points. On that same day, Tony Franklin at A&M had kicked a 63 yarder, and they announced it on the pa at Shotwell. Awhile later Russell Erxleben kicked a 65 yarder for UT and they announced it also on the PA. Then about 15 minutes later Ove kicked his.

The holder was the backup QB named Dean Low who was from Brownwood.

Ernest T Bass
01-12-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
Yes, and I was there. Ove was hilarious, he could barely speak English, just enough to get by. On his kickoffs, most of which went through the uprights, he would jump around thinking he had scored some points. On that same day, Tony Franklin at A&M had kicked a 63 yarder, and they announced it on the pa at Shotwell. Awhile later Russell Erxleben kicked a 65 yarder for UT and they announced it also on the PA. Then about 15 minutes later Ove kicked his.

The holder was the backup QB named Dean Low who was from Brownwood.

And now you know the rest of the story...

BOCEPHUS
01-12-2011, 10:38 AM
how and why did he end up at ACU?
did he kick in HS?

nobogey72
01-12-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
And now you know the rest of the story...

The rest of the story is that most of the people from Brownwood said that the record breaking kick was a result of an exceptional hold by the Brownwood kid. Not necessaily a great kick.:D

nobogey72
01-12-2011, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by BOCEPHUS
how and why did he end up at ACU?
did he kick in HS?

I don't remember. All I remember is that he hadn't been on this side of the pond long enough to speak very good English. I know he didn't kick in HS. He was a soccer player from Sweden. He had never "keeked a foootbal" till he got to ACC.

95mustang
01-12-2011, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by nobogey72
The rest of the story is that most of the people from Brownwood said that the record breaking kick was a result of an exceptional hold by the Brownwood kid. Not necessaily a great kick.:D

Well there can't be a good kick without a great hold. Come on nobogey with all the games you have seen you should know that. :D

Txbroadcaster
01-12-2011, 10:58 AM
So glad Grant and I got to do a broadcast from Shotwell for HS..I did one in college in 02 and then a HS game there..just love the whole atmosphere

NastySlot
01-12-2011, 11:04 AM
used to coach with an ACU grad....he told me(jokingly) that the reason for all the foreign athletes at ACU was because when they looked in the College Catalog list of U.S. Universities...........Abliene Christian was the first university listed ...so that was usually why so many foreigners attended ACU it was the first school they saw when looking and their first one they applied to...............got a good laugh.

Pendragon13
01-12-2011, 11:08 AM
Against East texas State? Shouldn't they have been fast enough to get back there and block that thing?:confused: :D

Ernest T Bass
01-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
Against East texas State? Shouldn't they have been fast enough to get back there and block that thing?:confused: :D

West Texas wind slowed them down.