PDA

View Full Version : Player Stereotyping.....

Bullaholic
01-11-2011, 11:07 AM
After reading many stories over the years about great athletic QB's, I wonder if the media and the public are developing automatic stereotyping of athletic QB's such as Michael Vick, Cam Newton, Vince Young, and Tim Tebow as "running" QB's who will never be able to be considered classic, great NFL QB's until one wins a SB? Your thoughts?

LoboesWT
01-11-2011, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
After reading many stories over the years about great athletic QB's, I wonder if the media and the public are developing automatic stereotyping of athletic QB's such as Michael Vick, Cam Newton, Vince Young, and Tim Tebow as "running" QB's who will never be able to be considered classic, great NFL QB's until one wins a SB? Your thoughts?

That what I always thought they were implying anyway.

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 11:12 AM

Yep, gonna have to win a SB. Steve Young and Brett Favre were considered "runners", but it was in addition to their passing. These others are the opposite. So far, Vick has shown that if he can't run, he's very mediocre, as has Young.

bigwood33
01-11-2011, 11:16 AM
Roger Staubach was an "athletic" QB. While at Navy he was known more for his running than his passing and even in the NFL he was nicknamed "Roger the Dodger". The difference was that he learned how to throw passes TO his receivers not AT them. Steve Young was another
athletic" QB. I played against him in college and he was amazing! He was faster than anyone we had on defense and had a huge arm to boot. He was very much like Vick but he sat behind Montana and learned how to play the position. Athletic QB's must also show good judgment about when to run and where to deliver the ball. Michael Vick made a step in the right direction this season, let's see how he continues to develop. I thought when he was at Atlanta he was the most over rated player in the league. This year he lived up to the hype....until Sunday that is.

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Roger Staubach was an "athletic" QB. While at Navy he was known more for his running than his passing and even in the NFL he was nicknamed "Roger the Dodger". The difference was that he learned how to throw passes TO his receivers not AT them. They must also show good judgment about when to run and where to deliver the ball. Michael Vick made a step in the right direction this season, let's see how he continues to develop. I thought when he was at Atlanta he was the most over rated player in the league. This year he lived up to the hype....until Sunday that is.

And Scramblin' Fran, too.

Bullaholic
01-11-2011, 11:22 AM
I don't want to stir up a race debate, but it does seem that the athletic black QB's suffer more from this auto-stereotyping.

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't want to stir up a race debate, but it does seem that the athletic black QB's suffer more from this auto-stereotyping.

Would agree with that, until Tebow.
Plus, isn't Doug Williams still the only black SB winning QB?

MJMbrahmas10
01-11-2011, 12:02 PM
The thing that upsets me the most is how everytime a black qb has success. Some of the haters want to call them thugs( not sayin it happened on here). But I have heard Vince young, Joe Webb, cam newton and others called thugs. I have never heard a white qb called a thug.

Pendragon13
01-11-2011, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by MJMbrahmas10
The thing that upsets me the most is how everytime a black qb has success. Some of the haters want to call them thugs( not sayin it happened on here). But I have heard Vince young, Joe Webb, cam newton and others called thugs. I have never heard a white qb called a thug. Yeah, everyone seems to forget big Ben's exploits..

coach
01-11-2011, 06:43 PM
The thing that upsets me the most is how everytime a black qb has success. Some of the haters want to call them thugs( not sayin it happened on here). But I have heard Vince young, Joe Webb, cam newton and others called thugs. I have never heard a white qb called a thug.

Who is Joe Webb lol. And what success has he had?

PPHSfan
01-11-2011, 06:52 PM
Originally posted by coach
Who is Joe Webb lol. And what success has he had?
Is he related to Spud Webb?:D

MoveInDad
01-11-2011, 06:58 PM
No more than 'spread' QB's or QB's under 6'1"... Kellen Moore of Boise State is a good example. Has lost 2 games in 3 years, thrown for 11k yds and 99 tds, but at 6' and 187 lbs he'll be lucky to get drafted when the time comes.

eagles_victory
01-11-2011, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Would agree with that, until Tebow.
Plus, isn't Doug Williams still the only black SB winning QB? Yea and he didn't even lead his team to the playoffs he only started 2 regular season games and they lost both of them.

Txbroadcaster
01-11-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Yea and he didn't even lead his team to the playoffs he only started 2 regular season games and they lost both of them.

While he only started 2..he came off the bench in 3 games and led them to wins.

bobcat1
01-11-2011, 08:21 PM
Fencepost I tell ya!:p

bobcat1
01-11-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
Is he related to Spud Webb?:D They do favor.:D

Txbroadcaster
01-11-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Fencepost I tell ya!:p

?

bobcat1
01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
While he only started 2..he came off the bench in 3 games and led them to wins.

Wait, he didn't start for the Skins?

MJMbrahmas10
01-11-2011, 08:56 PM
One of my friends friends try to tell me he was a thug cuz of his interview after his win against philly

Txbroadcaster
01-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Wait, he didn't start for the Skins?

Him and Jay Schoreder battled all year for the starting position, and Williams was hurt in the year and got healthy before the play offs

eagles_victory
01-11-2011, 10:38 PM
One of my friends friends try to tell me he was a thug cuz of his interview after his win against philly Desean Jackson was the one who looked like an idiot after the Dallas game.

Phil C
01-11-2011, 10:57 PM
Like Roger Terry Bradshaw was a good runner in the pros. There were times when he looked trapped and he would get away for good runs. Of course back then their coaches didn't want them running too much.

bobcat1
01-11-2011, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Desean Jackson was the one who looked like an idiot after the Dallas game. He always looks like an idiot. Where is George Teague when you need him.

PPHSfan
01-12-2011, 09:03 AM
2010 STATS
RATING YARDS TOUCHDOWNS
182.05 2,854 30

Rushed for 1400 yards and 20 more touchdowns.

I'm not sure Newton fits ANY Stereotype.