PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 2011 football season

orange machine
01-10-2011, 10:30 PM
Who yall think are the top 5 teams going into 2011. I know Henderson and Argyle for sure will be in everybody's top 5 atleast they should be. Carthage should be pretty good again, but they lose alot of players so i think they take a step or two backwards this year.

coach
01-10-2011, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by orange machine
Who yall think are the top 5 teams going into 2011. I know Henderson and Argyle for sure will be in everybody's top 5 atleast they should be. Carthage should be pretty good again, but they lose alot of players so i think they take a step or two backwards this year.

Not brownwood

95mustang
01-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Wimberley

bigwood33
01-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Let's go with these:

1) Carthage
2) Argyle
3) Wimberly
4) Henderson
5) Snyder

orange machine
01-11-2011, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by bigwood33
Let's go with these:

1) Carthage
2) Argyle
3) Wimberly
4) Henderson
5) Snyder

Argyle-yes
Wimberly-yes
Henderson-yes

the other two not so much next year.

bigwood33
01-11-2011, 12:28 AM
I was just a guess....as educated as any.

orange machine
01-11-2011, 12:42 AM
I was just a guess....as educated as any.

Yeah i hear yea

NastySlot
01-11-2011, 01:13 AM
what about dark horses? anybody got any?

heard Liberty Hill will be stout.

I know Navarro returns key players and I think Canyon Lake should be solid...........from Region IV.

LIONS#1
01-11-2011, 01:41 AM
Fairfield will suk again as always!!!

coach
01-11-2011, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by LIONS#1
Fairfield will suk again as always!!!

If I ever got a twitter account atleast I know I would have one follower!

orange machine
01-11-2011, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by NastySlot

I know Navarro returns key players and I think Canyon Lake should be solid...........from Region IV.
Celina, Gilmer, Snyder and Carthage. I'm sure there are a few more.

orange machine
01-11-2011, 02:56 AM
Celina, Gilmer, Snyder and Carthage. I'm sure there are a few more.
Oh yeah the other two AW and Dallas Madison.

garciap77
01-11-2011, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by coach
Not brownwood

Or Fairfield!

ogg
01-11-2011, 09:29 AM

Agree with all three, Cuero's always in the mix as well.

jp744
01-11-2011, 09:52 AM

Navarro always tough on offense the key is their defense. Canyon Lake will be really tough they have lots of kids back. RB QB OL Defense is mostly back should be a good team. West Columbia will have skills back loose a few ol and qb but nucleus is there still. With RB's WR and DL and LB's back. Should be really good again. Devine will be good with Sadler back. Cuero always good.

bwdlionfan
01-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by coach
Not brownwood

So this proves you can't read (he asked who will be not who won't be)... so maybe you should be excused for not knowing the rule about bashing kids in previous posts.

BTW... since you have such a hatred for Bwd, how long since Fairfield was top 5? When was their last title? Have they even ever won a title? Who on here even cares where Fairfield is?

rholl
01-11-2011, 12:38 PM
Alvarado makes another run.

ccmom
01-11-2011, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by rholl
Alvarado makes another run.

I was gonna mention Alvarado. How many starters will they bring back?

bigwood33
01-11-2011, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Ditto.

Black_Magic
01-11-2011, 12:50 PM
Celina, Gilmer, Snyder and Carthage. I'm sure there are a few more. Snyder has been on the matt with several big names learning more moves..
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/348/slideshow_34808/display_image.jpg?x=873038http://mimg.ugo.com/201007/50651/ankle-lock.jpg

bobcat1
01-11-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Snyder has been on the matt with several big names learning more moves..
http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slideshows/348/slideshow_34808/display_image.jpg?x=873038http://mimg.ugo.com/201007/50651/ankle-lock.jpg :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Seriously, what does Alvarado have coming back? Do they move back to 4a in 2012?

rholl
01-11-2011, 02:14 PM

Let me try and count..top 5 (all 4 starters) of secondary returns...2 lbs 2 DL ...8 on D.
6 on O??? so 14 I think.

rholl
01-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass
Seriously, what does Alvarado have coming back? Do they move back to 4a in 2012?

I have long since given up trying to guess about that UIL stuff!!!

ccmom
01-11-2011, 03:51 PM
Let me try and count..top 5 (all 4 starters) of secondary returns...2 lbs 2 DL ...8 on D.
6 on O??? so 14 I think.

Well I personally don't think that's fair! :mad:

Haha....good luck!:clap:

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 03:54 PM
I have long since given up trying to guess about that UIL stuff!!!

More of a question about their enrollment, size of upcoming classes, growth in the area. Alvarado has been a large 3a/small 4a for as long as I can remember, going back and forth with the size of their classes. They're always a power in 3a and usually aren't very competitive in 4a.

grahampaw
01-11-2011, 04:47 PM
I think Graham is building towards another long run in the next two to three years.

ccmom
01-11-2011, 04:50 PM
More of a question about their enrollment, size of upcoming classes, growth in the area. Alvarado has been a large 3a/small 4a for as long as I can remember, going back and forth with the size of their classes. They're always a power in 3a and usually aren't very competitive in 4a.

They are always a 3A power? :confused: I thought this year was the longest playoff run they had ever had, or am I making that up? I tend to do that sometimes. :doh:

bigwood33
01-11-2011, 04:55 PM
They are always a 3A power? :confused: I thought this year was the longest playoff run they had ever had, or am I making that up? I tend to do that sometimes. :doh:
No, you are right, this year was the high point to date. They have a really good coaching staff and with that many kids coming back they should be loaded for bear.

ccmom
01-11-2011, 05:09 PM
No, you are right, this year was the high point to date. They have a really good coaching staff and with that many kids coming back they should be loaded for bear.

I agree they should be a force next year with all they return. I just wanted to point out that ETB was WRONG...:devil: :p

bigwood33
01-11-2011, 05:24 PM
I just wanted to point out that ETB was WRONG...:devil: :p
Oh my! Calling down the thunder are we? Well ETB, your turn. :cool:

lostaussie
01-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Chapel Hill was VERY young this year and will be bringing back lots of kids. A source also tells me that they also got a defensive lineman move in that started for the one of the 3A state champions ................already in school. From all places...............Carthage!!!

MoveInDad
01-11-2011, 06:44 PM
I don't see Celina in the top 5, and only perhaps in the top 10 based on a traditionally strong program. With so many snrs on last year's team, and with very little experience coming back in most skilled positions, the coaches will be working even more overtime to get the right kids in their best position - but they've proven to be pretty good at that.
And coming up is a 10-0 JV and 9-1 freshman team with a lot of heart and some good athletes, so we'll see.

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 07:12 PM
I agree they should be a force next year with all they return. I just wanted to point out that ETB was WRONG...:devil: :p

They were semifinalists this year, right? In past 3a stints, they were still 3-4 rounds deep most years. Only years I can remember them not making deep runs was when they would go D1 and face Aledo in the first round.
3-4 rounds deep every year is a power, in my book, especially since they were almost always in region 2. We can't all be Wylie and lose multiple state finals after avoiding that East Texas speed for 4 weeks.

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Oh my! Calling down the thunder are we? Well ETB, your turn. :cool:

Everybody wants a shot at the champ, eh?

bigwood33
01-11-2011, 07:34 PM
Everybody wants a shot at the champ, eh?
Of course they do...but they are pretenders, not contenders!:D

FYI, in the 5 seasons prior to this season Alvarado was:3-8, 4-6, 3-7, 7-5 (Beat Ranchview and lost to Prosper), 7-5 (Beat Castleberry and lost to Prosper). I am a big fan of some of the coaches there and I am really happy about the run they made this season but it was a surprise to most. Beating Kennedale was huge for the program and the confidence of those kids.

Dub-C
01-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by jp744
Navarro always tough on offense the key is their defense. Canyon Lake will be really tough they have lots of kids back. RB QB OL Defense is mostly back should be a good team. West Columbia will have skills back loose a few ol and qb but nucleus is there still. With RB's WR and DL and LB's back. Should be really good again. Devine will be good with Sadler back. Cuero always good.

WC's QB may be a Senior but 2011's QB will be as good, He played on defense all season, If it's who I suspect it will be.

garciap77
01-11-2011, 07:47 PM

Who is ETB? :D

;)

bigwood33
01-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

;)
No respect at all:cool: :p

orange machine
01-11-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
I don't see Celina in the top 5, and only perhaps in the top 10 based on a traditionally strong program. With so many snrs on last year's team, and with very little experience coming back in most skilled positions, the coaches will be working even more overtime to get the right kids in their best position - but they've proven to be pretty good at that.
And coming up is a 10-0 JV and 9-1 freshman team with a lot of heart and some good athletes, so we'll see.
You don't have to have stud skilled position players as long as you got a very good oline. I thought the oline was pretty dang good and one of the best in the state until I saw some game film and then realized they were about average. I think the runningbacks made the oline look good until the oline ran into Lovejoy who had an awesome DT in Nate Oconner who destroyed the Celina oline all night. The good news is the oline will be huge and way above Avg. this year. So I believe Celina's offense will be way to much for most teams to stop this year because of the oline.

garciap77
01-11-2011, 07:55 PM

FYI, in the 5 seasons prior to this season Alvarado was:3-8, 4-6, 3-7, 7-5 (Beat Ranchview and lost to Prosper), 7-5 (Beat Castleberry and lost to Prosper). I am a big fan of some of the coaches there and I am really happy about the run they made this season but it was a surprise to most. Beating Kennedale was huge for the program and the confidence of those kids.

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 08:56 PM

Those sub .500 records were in 4a. HC at Alvarado was one of my HS coaches.

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by garciap77

;)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2010/05/1272938115936.jpg

bobcat1
01-11-2011, 09:03 PM
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2652/potatohatersgonnahateta.jpg There ya go ETB

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/2652/potatohatersgonnahateta.jpg There ya go ETB

That's the one I was trying to get!!

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 09:06 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2010/05/haterwashington.jpg

This is more my speed.

bigwood33
01-11-2011, 10:14 PM
Those sub .500 records were in 4a. HC at Alvarado was one of my HS coaches.
As I said, I am a huge JD fan and hope that they make another bid run next season.
The 2 big runs (before this season) that Alvarado has had since 1980 were in '95 and '99 when they went 4 rounds deep. Since 2000 they have had 3- one and dones and 2- 2 and dones. I don't know if anyone will be able to call them a darkhorse next season but this year, they certainly were. The Semi- Finals was a great run.

BTW, who is that one armed man?

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 10:20 PM
As I said, I am a huge JD fan and hope that they make another bid run next season.
The 2 big runs (before this season) that Alvarado has had since 1980 were in '95 and '99 when they went 4 rounds deep. Since 2000 they have had 3- one and dones and 2- 2 and dones. I don't know if anyone will be able to call them a darkhorse next season but this year, they certainly were. The Semi- Finals was a great run.

BTW, who is that one armed man?

Jeff's a great guy. Gave me a ride home more than once when I was in HS and missed the bus to lift after school and was huge when I lost my mom in 9th grade(as were the rest of the coaches). He'll do well wherever he is.
Wasn't '97 a decent run?

ccmom
01-11-2011, 10:58 PM
They were semifinalists this year, right? In past 3a stints, they were still 3-4 rounds deep most years. Only years I can remember them not making deep runs was when they would go D1 and face Aledo in the first round.
3-4 rounds deep every year is a power, in my book, especially since they were almost always in region 2. We can't all be Wylie and lose multiple state finals after avoiding that East Texas speed for 4 weeks. You see I could have sworn the Alvarado coaching staff made mention of the second round always being their stumbling block. Hmmm....maybe I really did make that up? :doh: :thinking: And what does losing to Aledo have to do with your theory of them always being a force in 3a but not so much in 4A. I'm so confused! Just tell me I'm right and give me that warm fuzzy feeling!:D

bobcat1
01-11-2011, 11:00 PM
You see I could have sworn the Alvarado coaching staff made mention of the second round always being their stumbling block. Hmmm....maybe I really did make that up? :doh: :thinking: And what does losing to Aledo have to do with your theory of them always being a force in 3a but not so much in 4A. I'm so confused! Just tell me I'm right and give me that warm fuzzy feeling!:D Hell Wine will do that, right?

ccmom
01-11-2011, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Hell Wine will do that, right? Cheers! :D

garciap77
01-11-2011, 11:03 PM
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.urlesque.com/media/2010/05/haterwashington.jpg

This is more my speed.

Bring it fool!!LOL

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/thpirateshipsmilies.gif

;)

bobcat1
01-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Cheers! :D Man this Captain Morgans Private Stock is some good Rum.http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/1341/cheerssmiley.gif

Ernest T Bass
01-11-2011, 11:09 PM
You see I could have sworn the Alvarado coaching staff made mention of the second round always being their stumbling block. Hmmm....maybe I really did make that up? :doh: :thinking: And what does losing to Aledo have to do with your theory of them always being a force in 3a but not so much in 4A. I'm so confused! Just tell me I'm right and give me that warm fuzzy feeling!:D

I can give ya a warm, fuzzy feelin'; but it ain't gonna happen on here ;)
They have lost in the 2nd round quite a few times, but had made some deep runs as well. They always seem to catch the state champion or finalist(Daingerfield and Commerce were their kryptonite for several years). Aledo is significant b/c they were a MAJOR force in 3a. There were a few times that both were 10-0, top 5 ranked, and met in bi-district. The winner of that game usually got a free pass to the quarterfinals.

ccmom
01-11-2011, 11:34 PM
I can give ya a warm, fuzzy feelin'; but it ain't gonna happen on here ;)
They have lost in the 2nd round quite a few times, but had made some deep runs as well. They always seem to catch the state champion or finalist(Daingerfield and Commerce were their kryptonite for several years). Aledo is significant b/c they were a MAJOR force in 3a. There were a few times that both were 10-0, top 5 ranked, and met in bi-district. The winner of that game usually got a free pass to the quarterfinals. Not warm...not fuzzy...:( oh well I know YOU know I'm right but continue with the coach speak. It's marginally entertaining....;)

Ernest T Bass
01-12-2011, 12:27 AM
Toldja I can supply the warm, fuzzy feelin', but I can't do it on here

orange machine
01-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Ok yall are getting way off track here. If yall want to be warm and fuzzy with each other go get a room at motel 6 they will leave the light on for ya. :eek:

lostaussie
01-12-2011, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
Chapel Hill was VERY young this year and will be bringing back lots of kids. A source also tells me that they also got a defensive lineman move in that started for the one of the 3A state champions ................already in school. From all places...............Carthage!!! I really thought this comment would attract some attention.............guess not!!

hookandladder
01-12-2011, 09:33 AM
Back to the original tread, La Grange should be pretty solid next year and in 2012 should be making a good solid run. We have 3 pretty talented classes coming up that the new coaching staff can develop.

bobcat1
01-12-2011, 09:51 AM
I really thought this comment would attract some attention.............guess not!! It got my attention but being from Celina I thought it best not to comment. :D

MoveInDad
01-12-2011, 12:39 PM
You don't have to have stud skilled position players as long as you got a very good oline. I thought the oline was pretty dang good and one of the best in the state until I saw some game film and then realized they were about average. I think the runningbacks made the oline look good until the oline ran into Lovejoy who had an awesome DT in Nate Oconner who destroyed the Celina oline all night. The good news is the oline will be huge and way above Avg. this year. So I believe Celina's offense will be way to much for most teams to stop this year because of the oline.
I agree, the oline is one of the bright spots, and they will prove to be the difference in many games. However, I disagree somewhat regarding your statement about having a 'stud' or two at skilled positions on offense. And I'm not saying the 2011 Celina roster doesn't posses 'studs' in the making, just that other than a 1,000 yd back, we don't have any returning at the skilled positions in order to base a high preseason ranking.

orange machine
01-12-2011, 11:07 PM
I agree, the oline is one of the bright spots, and they will prove to be the difference in many games. However, I disagree somewhat regarding your statement about having a 'stud' or two at skilled positions on offense. And I'm not saying the 2011 Celina roster doesn't posses 'studs' in the making, just that other than a 1,000 yd back, we don't have any returning at the skilled positions in order to base a high preseason ranking.

Over the years I have seen alot of teams with much bigger linemen than Celina and teams that really looked like they would woop up on them, but Celina has had in the past linemen that all though might not have been very big were mean, tough, strong and would play with such great technique that the bigger players across from them looked like rag dolls being thrown around.

In saying that most of these teams had runningbacks that were average and some a little above average. In what im about to say is not a jab or meant to be bad towards any person. Jackie Wyatt, Chase Hall, Chris Torbert, Josh Sherrock, Charlie Waldrep and Troy McCartney were all state title winning runningbacks at Celina and not one of them was a d1 college runningback or stud. Those boys were tough hard nosed, strong boys that although were not studs would not settle for midiocracy. They had the desire and drive to get in the weight room and off season program and work as hard as they could to get better for there team. Those same runningbacks played with linemen who were not the biggest and not the best, but they all shared the same dream to win a title and never quite. I cant tell you how many times Ive seen one of those runningbacks or linemen destroy the other guy.

The moral of the story is that you dont have to have any stud runningbacks or skilled position players to be good or win a title. Celina has won to many games and titles with kids who overachieved. This year coming up Celina SHOULD have probably the biggest oline in the state and one of the best if not the best in the state. If Celina has a few boys that step up like the above runningbacks did then number 9 just might come to Celina next year.

MoveInDad
01-13-2011, 05:23 PM

In saying that most of these teams had runningbacks that were average and some a little above average. In what im about to say is not a jab or meant to be bad towards any person. Jackie Wyatt, Chase Hall, Chris Torbert, Josh Sherrock, Charlie Waldrep and Troy McCartney were all state title winning runningbacks at Celina and not one of them was a d1 college runningback or stud....

This is where the misunderstanding lies... my definition of 'stud' includes backs such as Troy and Charlie. I can't comment on the others, as... well, I'm a 'movein' you see ;0)
Anyway, my definition of a stud running back or quarterback, is one that whether through pure speed, power, or shear determination, no matter their size or shape, finds a way to get the yards his team needs. So, by that definition, you simply have to have done it... and by that definition Celina has 1 1,000 yd running back returning, while the presumed starting QB accounted for perhaps 300 yds of total offense last season... it could be a bit more or less, I just don't have the figures.
And bringing it back to the original theme of this thread, most of what constitutes a top preseason rank is either a lot of returning starters or a 'stud' or two in the skilled positions, unfortunately lineman don't get the credit they are due in that determination.

trojandad
01-13-2011, 05:26 PM
whacha wanna bet we're overlooked again?:confused:

MoveInDad
01-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
I think you guys made your mark, they'll be looking at Coldspring from now on I think.

oldtownag
01-13-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by trojandad

Yea probably, if you don't make a bunch of noise on the 3ADL others tend to overlook you.

orange machine
01-13-2011, 07:26 PM
This is where the misunderstanding lies... my definition of 'stud' includes backs such as Troy and Charlie. I can't comment on the others, as... well, I'm a 'movein' you see ;0)
Anyway, my definition of a stud running back or quarterback, is one that whether through pure speed, power, or shear determination, no matter their size or shape, finds a way to get the yards his team needs. So, by that definition, you simply have to have done it... and by that definition Celina has 1 1,000 yd running back returning, while the presumed starting QB accounted for perhaps 300 yds of total offense last season... it could be a bit more or less, I just don't have the figures.
And bringing it back to the original theme of this thread, most of what constitutes a top preseason rank is either a lot of returning starters or a 'stud' or two in the skilled positions, unfortunately lineman don't get the credit they are due in that determination.
I see what your saying all the above runninbacks were really good. I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things they were not studs or d1 backs. They could have started for most teams and I for one loved watching them and hope that a few kids will step up and play as hard as they did.

gobbla4life
01-13-2011, 11:00 PM
i think Cuero will fly under the radar this year. we have a tough non district , and i think some will over look us. heck even our district is gonna be good again. but CUERO knows how to competeand they find a way to win. so i think we will have another great season. i just want to say congrats to both Henderson & Carthage. you guys are something special. their are so many great football towns in Texas , and u guys are in the same district. hats off to both of these great football towns. i would love to see yalls tradition , along with our great tradition here in CUERO . to have the chance to play u guys in east Texas . also i have to give a shout out to our good friends & rivals GILMER. HEY I STILL REMEMBER THAT GREAT GAME IN 2009 IN HUNTSVILLE!

ctown
01-14-2011, 09:46 AM
I see what your saying all the above runninbacks were really good. I'm just saying in the grand scheme of things they were not studs or d1 backs. They could have started for most teams and I for one loved watching them and hope that a few kids will step up and play as hard as they did.

Troy not a stud, Charlie not a stud, Sharrock not a stud, the other guys not studs? You must be in the spirit world. Yeah they weren't D1 but they sure as hell were studs.

You can downplay the Oline this past year, or any of the other kids you want but when the going got tough, Celina's go-to plays this year should have been the run. No one, including LJ stopped the run. That is a good indicator of a dominant line. Most of the drives ended because of broken/incomplete pass plays. Check the avg run yds per play in the final game. If you throw the 30-40 yds of sack losses out, avg would probably be enough to get first downs every couple plays or so. One drive with all runs/no passes got from deep in Celina territory to the LJ 4 before a fumble ended it. Coach never went back to it. 5/23 on the pass was a pretty good indicator success wasn't coming through the air that night. It wasn't truly desperate until the game cracked open well into the 4th Qtr so there was time to adjust our attack. That's something we don't seem to do much lately and it's not a "kid" problem.

If Celina is going to be a contender in 2011, which they absolutely can be, they need to examine all sides of the coin. They can certainly do very well but the team won't get ranked high on the customary coat tails of recent success after two early exits in a row. There are player dynamics that need resolving too. The teams that have won championships in the past were bonded together. The team next year needs to remove some individual issues to be really good.

If Celina keeps talking about the next crop, we'll find ourselves in 7 years of famine...

orange machine
01-14-2011, 10:35 AM
That's what I was afraid of when I said they were not studs, I don't mean they were not awesome because they all were, but they were not Dewight Smith, Quan Cosby or Adrian Peterson. Those guys are who I'm referring to as a stud runninback someone playi g d1 ball or in the NFL. I agree that we were able to move the ball against LJ, but when it came down to the red zone they destroyed us from guard to guard. All those yards gained are worthless if you get in the red zone and get your butt kicked and that's what happend weather it be in the run game or pass game.

ctown
01-14-2011, 12:15 PM
I understand what you are saying about studs but I think the more general accepted idea of a stud is a key impact, go to player. If that player is on a reaally good team like those guys were and they carried the loads they did, they are studs in my book.

As for the line play, my memory may be bad but Celina O shifted attack strategy inside the redzone. Ran tackle to tackle mostly to get there, then tried to get tricky with wide sweeps and on passes when the percentages weren't there. I think linebacker flow was the real killer.

Next year's team will need the hard nosed runner(s) and lineman who make blocks more than a couple yards in front of them.

orange machine
01-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by ctown
I understand what you are saying about studs but I think the more general accepted idea of a stud is a key impact, go to player. If that player is on a reaally good team like those guys were and they carried the loads they did, they are studs in my book.

As for the line play, my memory may be bad but Celina O shifted attack strategy inside the redzone. Ran tackle to tackle mostly to get there, then tried to get tricky with wide sweeps and on passes when the percentages weren't there. I think linebacker flow was the real killer.

Next year's team will need the hard nosed runner(s) and lineman who make blocks more than a couple yards in front of them.
I agree with all that you say here. I believe the oline will be much much better all the way around this year. The linemen that are graduating are all great young men and were good players, but they in my opinion lacked that mean fire over powering swagger that so many Celina teams have had. I think back to the 07 state team and think of kids like Adam Thomas and CJ Nelson who if you just talked to them in person you wouldn't think they had a mean bone in them, but when they strapped it up on friday nights they would beat you and destroy the opposing defender.

I'll say this if Coach Ford allows Jake Raulerson to start on the oline this year with Jordan Roos and Josh Baggett nobody will shut down Celina's run game. All three of those boys are monsters and very strong.

orange machine
01-14-2011, 12:38 PM
I think Jake at center Jordan at RG and Baggett at RT would be flat out dominating.

As far as runningbacks I'm not real worried if you can't run behind those three boys then you probably shouldn't be playing runningback.

ctown
01-14-2011, 02:36 PM
I think Jake at center Jordan at RG and Baggett at RT would be flat out dominating.

As far as runningbacks I'm not real worried if you can't run behind those three boys then you probably shouldn't be playing runningback.

Yeah but it is so much more fun to watch a punishing quick runner who either jukes or flattens anyone who challenges him in the open field. That's what those backs previously mentioned did. Those kind make the difference between a 20 point game an a 50 point blow out.

trojandad
01-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by oldtownag
Yea probably, if you don't make a bunch of noise on the 3ADL others tend to overlook you.

agreed, i don't think we'll be in most people's top 10, even with gilbert returning....

bobcat1
01-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Yeah but it is so much more fun to watch a punishing quick runner who either jukes or flattens anyone who challenges him in the open field. That's what those backs previously mentioned did. Those kind make the difference between a 20 point game an a 50 point blow out. Charley was a beast in 2007 but in 2008 it was all about McCartney and "Feed The Horse". Troy ran with more passion and heart in the Liberty Hill game than I had seen previously by anyone anywhere.

garciap77
01-14-2011, 08:55 PM

Make Some Noise OldTownNag!!!!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/Noise.jpg

;)

gatordaze
01-15-2011, 11:15 AM
Troy not a stud, Charlie not a stud, Sharrock not a stud, the other guys not studs? You must be in the spirit world. Yeah they weren't D1 but they sure as hell were studs.

You can downplay the Oline this past year, or any of the other kids you want but when the going got tough, Celina's go-to plays this year should have been the run. No one, including LJ stopped the run. That is a good indicator of a dominant line. Most of the drives ended because of broken/incomplete pass plays. Check the avg run yds per play in the final game. If you throw the 30-40 yds of sack losses out, avg would probably be enough to get first downs every couple plays or so. One drive with all runs/no passes got from deep in Celina territory to the LJ 4 before a fumble ended it. Coach never went back to it. 5/23 on the pass was a pretty good indicator success wasn't coming through the air that night. It wasn't truly desperate until the game cracked open well into the 4th Qtr so there was time to adjust our attack. That's something we don't seem to do much lately and it's not a "kid" problem.

If Celina is going to be a contender in 2011, which they absolutely can be, they need to examine all sides of the coin. They can certainly do very well but the team won't get ranked high on the customary coat tails of recent success after two early exits in a row. There are player dynamics that need resolving too. The teams that have won championships in the past were bonded together. The team next year needs to remove some individual issues to be really good.

If Celina keeps talking about the next crop, we'll find ourselves in 7 years of famine...

No doubt that those guys were all studs and played with more heart and determination than I have ever seen. I do believe that Jmark has what it takes to really show this season. He has all of the measurables to do what none of these studs could, which is play at a D1 level. He is a great kid, has good grades from what I understand, works hard in the weight room and has gotten better each year. The difference between a Senior and a Sophomore is really dramatic and I think he is really coming on.

I also see at least 3 lineman that project D1 and maybe another to D2. Celina has not had more than 1-2 D1 players at a time much less on the same line. That could be really special at this level.

I agree that they will need to come together as a team and what we had this year will be hard to match from that perspective. The Senior class is relatively small without a clear cut leader that the team will follow. A few are intense and vocal but not likely to be followed, others would be great leaders but it is just not their personality. Someone will step up and probably from the Junior class. I can see Damien, Ben, Josh, Jake and Brooks all really coming alive this next season. I really like Brooks in the secondary as he is always around the ball. I think Zach could play at the next level (given a few more hamburgers). I am also excited to see what our "Brash Brit" can do now that he has had a couple years of Texas water in his belly. He is my dark horse for next year on the Dline!

I would like to see a few players go both ways at least situationally. Defensive players that should see some time on O include, Zach at receiver, Jake at Center or TE, Jesus at RB, Josh and Reese would be battering rams at FB.

buckeyebob
01-16-2011, 06:44 AM
I really thought this comment would attract some attention.............guess not!!

Got mine!

buckeyebob
01-16-2011, 06:46 AM

...& you are good at making noise...http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/10_03/tantrumkidG1510_228x361.jpg

MoveInDad
01-22-2011, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze

I agree that they will need to come together as a team and what we had this year will be hard to match from that perspective. The Senior class is relatively small without a clear cut leader that the team will follow. A few are intense and vocal but not likely to be followed, others would be great leaders but it is just not their personality. Someone will step up and probably from the Junior class. I can see Damien, Ben, Josh, Jake and Brooks all really coming alive this next season. I really like Brooks in the secondary as he is always around the ball. I think Zach could play at the next level (given a few more hamburgers). I am also excited to see what our "Brash Brit" can do now that he has had a couple years of Texas water in his belly. He is my dark horse for next year on the Dline!

I would like to see a few players go both ways at least situationally. Defensive players that should see some time on O include, Zach at receiver, Jake at Center or TE, Jesus at RB, Josh and Reese would be battering rams at FB.

In my very humble opinion:
Roos really steps up next year and will be the clear leader of this team. He has the respect of all the boys, is arguably the best player, he's vocal, and well, he's just a really big dude that you HAVE to look up to ;0)
I also, believe this team comes together, perhaps even more so than last year... The Outlaws are coming.
Agree with comment regarding Brooks, furthermore, I hope there is genuine competition at QB, just too important for there not to be... we need more of dual threat/ running QB this year. Lee Nelson comes to mind...crazy, I know.
Regarding 'Brash Brit'; given the opportunity to get comfortable with the playbook, to run behind that line and get more than a couple of touches a game, I'd like to think he could be the dark horse in the backfield with Simmons... though he seems to be pegged for the Dline.
Can't wait, though I have a feeling this is going to be the longest 7 months in my life.

Ernest T Bass
01-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by gatordaze

Y'all have Jesus at RB? Celina will win, no doubt!

MoveInDad
01-23-2011, 11:51 AM
Y'all have Jesus at RB? Celina will win, no doubt!
Well, if HE were to choose a body to take physical form, HE would be hard pressed to find a more perfectly sculpted form than that of Jesus Varga of Celina, TX... hmmm, could it be? ;)

Ernest T Bass
01-23-2011, 11:54 AM
hard pressed to find a more perfectly sculpted form than that of Jesus Varga of Celina, TX... hmmm, could it be? ;)

Uhmmm....

:confused: :eek:

MoveInDad
01-23-2011, 11:57 AM
Uhmmm....

:confused: :eek:
Oh brother, am I in trouble again?

orange machine
01-23-2011, 02:20 PM
Well, if HE were to choose a body to take physical form, HE would be hard pressed to find a more perfectly sculpted form than that of Jesus Varga of Celina, TX... hmmm, could it be? ;)
I think I would have said Jesus Vargas was ripped something like that. I will agree with you he is pretty cut up.

orange machine
01-23-2011, 02:26 PM
I could also seein Roos being a team leader as well. He is going into his 4th varsity season and I have seen him yelling on the field at some of the other guys. Not to mention if I was a kid and Roos got in my face and told me I better do this or that or he was gonna be all over me Im pretty sure I would listen considering he is a massive human being at 6'5 315 and is probably the strongest kid on the team which was bench pressing 420 before the year last year, I'm sure it's more than that now.

lulu
01-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Chapel Hill was VERY young this year and will be bringing back lots of kids. A source also tells me that they also got a defensive lineman move in that started for the one of the 3A state champions ................already in school. From all places...............Carthage!!! :ditto:

ctown
01-23-2011, 08:53 PM
I could also seein Roos being a team leader as well. He is going into his 4th varsity season and I have seen him yelling on the field at some of the other guys. Not to mention if I was a kid and Roos got in my face and told me I better do this or that or he was gonna be all over me Im pretty sure I would listen considering he is a massive human being at 6'5 315 and is probably the strongest kid on the team which was bench pressing 420 before the year last year, I'm sure it's more than that now.

Not going to get into conversation about details from other players and such because I don't think individual player criticism belongs on a board like this. But I will say I don't agree with some points of view on next year and I think there is much to be resolved with leadership for the Bobcats this year. They can be a very good team for sure.

orange machine
01-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Not going to get into conversation about details from other players and such because I don't think individual player criticism belongs on a board like this. But I will say I don't agree with some points of view on next year and I think there is much to be resolved with leadership for the Bobcats this year. They can be a very good team for sure.

Well there you go throw the hook out there and then pull it away just before the big bite?

Its pretty simple if you dont want to play as a team and cant put things aside then dont play. Its a team sport and i hope the coaches can see these issues which im sure they can and resolve them. You do whats best for the team even if that means not playing a stud because his attitude sucks.

Ernest T Bass
01-23-2011, 11:04 PM

Read that at least 3 more times. Still sounds gay. :(

ctown
01-23-2011, 11:55 PM
Well there you go throw the hook out there and then pull it away just before the big bite?

Its pretty simple if you dont want to play as a team and cant put things aside then dont play. Its a team sport and i hope the coaches can see these issues which im sure they can and resolve them. You do whats best for the team even if that means not playing a stud because his attitude sucks.

I agree with all that. Team chemistry is a critical part of the game. I think all things of concern right now can be addressed. If they are, watch out cause the guys could get a few games farther next year.

ctown
01-23-2011, 11:58 PM

Sometimes people just need a do-over. You can't get on folks here too hard, even if it was kinda awkward choice of words...

MoveInDad
01-24-2011, 10:43 AM
Holy Toledo! Gay!? Ernest, you jokingly referred to Celina having 'Jesus' as their running back... I was simply going along. The young man we're referring to, Jesus Varga, is one of the hardest working, dedicated and physically fit athletes (weighs about 170, benches 350 and runs 400 in 48), in the Celina program. I understand meanings can be misconstrued with short messages, but please, I'd like to think this board is composed of current and former players, mostly dads like myself and a few moms... I almost didn't post because it seemed a bit awkward to reference Our Lord Jesus Christ, not for a second did I perceive any 'gay' undertones. Anyway, hope that clears that up... I don't think you need to turn on the gaydar when on the downlow ;)

Ernest T Bass
01-24-2011, 10:55 AM
I don't think you need to turn on the gaydar when on the downlow ;)

You're new around here, huh?

ccmom
01-24-2011, 11:24 AM
I don't think you need to turn on the gaydar when on the downlow ;) No need for "don't ask, don't tell" around here. We go by "no need to ask, we can tell." ;)

FmrPirate14
01-24-2011, 05:03 PM
I think Cuero will prolly make some noise in the Playoffs they always seem to be good and I think Ingleside and Sinton are both capable of going 2 rounds deep

orange machine
01-24-2011, 10:02 PM
Holy Toledo! Gay!? Ernest, you jokingly referred to Celina having 'Jesus' as their running back... I was simply going along. The young man we're referring to, Jesus Varga, is one of the hardest working, dedicated and physically fit athletes (weighs about 170, benches 350 and runs 400 in 48), in the Celina program. I understand meanings can be misconstrued with short messages, but please, I'd like to think this board is composed of current and former players, mostly dads like myself and a few moms... I almost didn't post because it seemed a bit awkward to reference Our Lord Jesus Christ, not for a second did I perceive any 'gay' undertones. Anyway, hope that clears that up... I don't think you need to turn on the gaydar when on the downlow ;)

Crap i new Jesus was ripped and looked strong, but i didnt know he was benching 350 and was running that in the 400!

Chillfan
01-24-2011, 10:05 PM
I think Chapel Hill will be stronger in 2011.

Losing 2 starting WR's, 1 Rb, 1 olineman, 1 dlineman, 2 lbs, and 2 in the secondary. Alot of young guys who got alot of good experience this year. I expect Tucker to really step it up and fill in for Lee. Good group of underclassmen moving up. Both lines should be very good.

waterboy
01-25-2011, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by Chillfan
I think Chapel Hill will be stronger in 2011.

Losing 2 starting WR's, 1 Rb, 1 olineman, 1 dlineman, 2 lbs, and 2 in the secondary. Alot of young guys who got alot of good experience this year. I expect Tucker to really step it up and fill in for Lee. Good group of underclassmen moving up. Both lines should be very good.
I agree, and Henderson will be good once again, too. Chapel Hill and Henderson are the best bets in East Texas. I think Carthage may be down a little this coming season, but still could go deep. Gilmer will definitely be in the mix as well. Argyle will be good, as will Celina. It's hard to say who would be a darkhorse, but I think Gilmer may surprise some folks.

MoveInDad
01-25-2011, 11:31 AM
Crap i new Jesus was ripped and looked strong, but i didnt know he was benching 350 and was running that in the 400! Well, to be completely honest, he ran the anchor leg in 4x400 in 48.5 at the district meet...

Chillfan
01-25-2011, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by waterboy
I agree, and Henderson will be good once again, too.

I agree. Henderson should be tough.

gobbla4life
01-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by FmrPirate14
I think Cuero will prolly make some noise in the Playoffs they always seem to be good and I think Ingleside and Sinton are both capable of going 2 rounds deep
I agree with ya FmrPirate14 Sinton, Ingleside and Cuero will make some noise. They always do! If you havent seen TRENT JACKSON run the rock , he is something special. He had a real good chance to pass ROBERT STRAIT'S record in CUERO for total rushing yards in his HIGH SCHOOL CAREER. He tore his ACL , But is expected to have a full recovery and be ready for his Senior season. So CUERO should be as explosive as ever!

Steers95
01-25-2011, 11:11 PM
any thoughts on graham??