PDA

View Full Version : Texas Tech Recruiting

RoyceTTU
01-10-2011, 07:25 PM
Tech is now ranked #15 in the nation for 2011 recruiting and still has some kids out their they are courting. Good news for the program. Only Big 12-2 teams better are UT and OU. Lets hope all the recruits pan-out.

When I heard Tuberville was coming last year, I knew this would be his #1 strength.

Good Job guys :clap: :clap: Future looking bright

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/teamrank/2011/all/all

CENTEX FAN
01-11-2011, 09:17 AM
I heard one ofthe "Talking Heads" this morning say that Tuberville would pursue heavily the LSU job if Les Miles moves to Michigan. I think Tommy boy is looking for the fastest way out of Lubbock he can find. Tech was merely a place he could get back into coaching so he could try to move back up the ladder.

LoboesWT
01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by CENTEX FAN
I heard one ofthe "Talking Heads" this morning say that Tuberville would pursue heavily the LSU job if Les Miles moves to Michigan. I think Tommy boy is looking for the fastest way out of Lubbock he can find. Tech was merely a place he could get back into coaching so he could try to move back up the ladder.

I hope something like that does not happen, but I have heard the same type of talk. It would make sense since he has coached in the SEC before. Tech is still a transition period with adjusting to a new coach and changes/rumors like that only create more uncertainty that negatively affect a program.

DDBooger
01-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
I hope something like that does not happen, but I have heard the same type of talk. It would make sense since he has coached in the SEC before. Tech is still a transition period with adjusting to a new coach and changes/rumors like that only create more uncertainty that negatively affect a program. Guys on the SEC channel on Sirius were speculating that LSU goes after Gary Patterson hard.

LoboesWT
01-11-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Guys on the SEC channel on Sirius were speculating that LSU goes after Gary Patterson hard.

Good for Tech, bad for TCU!

Daddy D 11
01-11-2011, 11:20 AM
A buddy of mine that goes to Tech posted on his facebook status that Tubby recruited 64 of the 98 players on the Auburn National Championship team. My comment to that was "By default that makes Tech Co-National Champions right?" lol

LoboesWT
01-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Daddy D 11
A buddy of mine that goes to Tech posted on his facebook status that Tubby recruited 64 of the 98 players on the Auburn National Championship team. My comment to that was "By default that makes Tech Co-National Champions right?" lol

Well.......uh...........not sure.......but........okay sounds great to me!

Tx Challenge
01-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Tubberville is a great coach, and will turn Tech into a National contender.......IF he stays......I personally hope he does, but the reception he has received would make me think he would be open to leaving. It is always hard to replace a coach that many fans loved, that got forced out. The timing for the LSU job might work out.

WildTexan972
01-11-2011, 01:30 PM
if he recruits great classes at Tech it won't matter unless he gets better coaches in town to lead em.....thus far the coaching on Tech's team is bad....all 3 phases of the game were down this year compared to the past few years, and while the CLAIM is that Tubs was only a "consultant " to the school of Miami about their HC opening, some close to him say he was open to an interview....

he wants back in the SEC badly, and I for 1 am tired of all these Auburn activities coming west as he prays for a job to the east...

he knows he can get bigger money easier in the SEC than he can here in Lubbock, and the insider chatter is how fast the BigCow will fall apart as soon as the promises of $20million payouts are found to be lies, so he wants to go where the conference is stable....

as for Auburn - give it 4 years and they will be handin back that trophy when the Cam-for-pay details are released....again...we all know he was bought, and Auburn is as crooked a program as there is, so they just wanta win while they can and face the music later...

RoyceTTU
01-11-2011, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
Tubberville is a great coach, and will turn Tech into a National contender.......IF he stays......I personally hope he does, but the reception he has received would make me think he would be open to leaving. It is always hard to replace a coach that many fans loved, that got forced out. The timing for the LSU job might work out.

I'm not agreeing with the reception he recieved. Obviously on the surface it looked like the reception was rocky at best because of the turbulent derparture of Leach and the lawsuit. But behind the scenes, Tuberville raised more money for the program than the school's atheletic program had ever raised. I seriously doubt that any booster would offer up much money knowing they didn't like the incoming coach.

One good thing going for keeping Tubbs, is he openly has admitted he wants his son playing Texas HS football. i belive he is attending Lubbock Cooper. I can't imagine him uprooting his son in HS but I might be wrong. I also think he would put a lot of value in trying to get his son to play college ball if he is good enough but I guess he could go whereever for that.

RoyceTTU
01-11-2011, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by WildTexan972
if he recruits great classes at Tech it won't matter unless he gets better coaches in town to lead em.....thus far the coaching on Tech's team is bad....all 3 phases of the game were down this year compared to the past few years, and while the CLAIM is that Tubs was only a "consultant " to the school of Miami about their HC opening, some close to him say he was open to an interview....

he wants back in the SEC badly, and I for 1 am tired of all these Auburn activities coming west as he prays for a job to the east...

he knows he can get bigger money easier in the SEC than he can here in Lubbock, and the insider chatter is how fast the BigCow will fall apart as soon as the promises of $20million payouts are found to be lies, so he wants to go where the conference is stable....

as for Auburn - give it 4 years and they will be handin back that trophy when the Cam-for-pay details are released....again...we all know he was bought, and Auburn is as crooked a program as there is, so they just wanta win while they can and face the music later...

I totally agree about the coaching situation. I like Neal but am glad willis is gone. I hope he comes back from the coaching convention with a good DC, but feel that is a last resort place to be looking for a coordinator. Those should of been hired prior to that trip. This makes me nervous.

ccmom
01-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU

One good thing going for keeping Tubbs, is he openly has admitted he wants his son playing Texas HS football. i belive he is attending Lubbock Cooper. I can't imagine him uprooting his son in HS but I might be wrong. I also think he would put a lot of value in trying to get his son to play college ball if he is good enough but I guess he could go whereever for that.

Lubbock Cooper? There's a real power house for ya! :doh: Then again, I can't remember ever being impressed by a Lubbock high school team. :thinking:

RoyceTTU
01-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by ccmom
Lubbock Cooper? There's a real power house for ya! :doh: Then again, I can't remember ever being impressed by a Lubbock high school team. :thinking:

I agree it's no power house but it's one of the nicer schools around lubbock. I'm a bit suprised he didn't find a house in the Wolforth(Frenship) area. But now I'm thinking Wolforth was more of a 1 hit wonder with Briles there.

LoboesWT
01-11-2011, 06:13 PM
I agree it's no power house but it's one of the nicer schools around lubbock. I'm a bit suprised he didn't find a house in the Wolforth(Frenship) area. But now I'm thinking Wolforth was more of a 1 hit wonder with Briles there.

Lubbock Cooper District seems to be the popular spot as Wolforth was about a Decade ago. Cooper is expecting to make the jump to 4A and have been gearing up the facilities to do so. This past year was a successful one for them and something to build on and having Tech's HC can't help but attract some other talent.

Now, back to the subject at hand, since he is for sure not leaving this year. I hope he can make that connection with the fans in year two much like Leach did. I was there Leach's first year and not many people were that excited about him as well. He replaced a respected coach in Spike Dykes and several people did not know what to think of this Leach character. If Tubbs can connect with the fans in year two and continue to recruit like this, he will have a chance a some great success. The Defensive Coordinator, who ever it will be, will have a much easier time coaching with better athletes.

WildTexan972
01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
Tubs got seats this year at Frenship stadium, not Cooper, so I think that is where they live....west not south...

Tres Lobos
01-11-2011, 07:59 PM
His son goes to school in Wolforth (frenship)

RoyceTTU
01-11-2011, 09:20 PM
Tubs got seats this year at Frenship stadium, not Cooper, so I think that is where they live....west not south...

Cool, that makes more sense. The nicer housing developments are in Llanno and Tejas Estates which is in the Frenship district. I know Bob Knight lived in Tejas Estates.

Either way, I don't think he is going anywhere for a while.

big daddy russ
01-12-2011, 01:04 AM
I'm not agreeing with the reception he recieved. Obviously on the surface it looked like the reception was rocky at best because of the turbulent derparture of Leach and the lawsuit. But behind the scenes, Tuberville raised more money for the program than the school's atheletic program had ever raised. I seriously doubt that any booster would offer up much money knowing they didn't like the incoming coach.
Royce, you posted this just after WildTexan posted this...

I'd say his reception is still rocky, boosters or not. A fan base has a lot of sway on the athletic dept, and when the fan base is saying this:

.....thus far the coaching on Tech's team is bad....all 3 phases of the game were down this year compared to the past few years
...after only one year on the job and a roster filled with players brought in for a completely different type of system, I wouldn't blame him for getting while the getting's good.

Emerson1
01-12-2011, 01:22 AM
Cool, that makes more sense. The nicer housing developments are in Llanno and Tejas Estates which is in the Frenship district. I know Bob Knight lived in Tejas Estates.

Either way, I don't think he is going anywhere for a while.
Leaches daughter went to Lubbock Coronado.

Gsquared
01-12-2011, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Tx Challenge
:hand: Tuberville is a fraud. Unfortunatly it will take Tech a couple of years to realize this but mark my words, you will. He will drop you once ANYTHING in the SEC opens up.

bobcat1
01-12-2011, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Gsquared
:hand: Tuberville is a fraud. Unfortunatly it will take Tech a couple of years to realize this but mark my words, you will. He will drop you once ANYTHING in the SEC opens up. :thinking:

WildTexan972
01-12-2011, 12:54 PM
:hand: Tuberville is a fraud. Unfortunatly it will take Tech a couple of years to realize this but mark my words, you will. He will drop you once ANYTHING in the SEC opens up.

this is absolutely fact....heck he left in the middle of the night to dump OleMiss for Auburn when it opened...Auburn is known in the coaches circles to be flush with cash to buy what a coach needs along the way.....hence Cam Newton, and bet your house he will be found later to be crooked....and that was why Tubs went with a lateral SEC move before...if something East opens up, you can know Tubs will have open ears....

as for raising more cash than ever at Tech - that is a fraud as well....all he has raised is a bit over $250,000 to get the outdoor practice turf put in....he made a few calls and got some money so Gerald paid for the rest of it thinking more cash would be coming...all this has been verified by the local media in open records requests for donations to the school, and that number was all Tech could show he had accounted for....

big daddy russ
01-12-2011, 05:30 PM
this is absolutely fact....heck he left in the middle of the night to dump OleMiss for Auburn when it opened...Auburn is known in the coaches circles to be flush with cash to buy what a coach needs along the way.....hence Cam Newton, and bet your house he will be found later to be crooked....and that was why Tubs went with a lateral SEC move before...if something East opens up, you can know Tubs will have open ears....

as for raising more cash than ever at Tech - that is a fraud as well....all he has raised is a bit over $250,000 to get the outdoor practice turf put in....he made a few calls and got some money so Gerald paid for the rest of it thinking more cash would be coming...all this has been verified by the local media in open records requests for donations to the school, and that number was all Tech could show he had accounted for....
Let's start off at the heart of the matter--Tubs' tenure at Tech--and then I'll digress into Auburn football.

First of all, you're way off on your number. The $1/4 million you're putting out there was actually $1.25 million. $500k for the practice field and $750k for upgrades to the locker room and weight rooms. Not exactly $25 million, but not exactly $1/4 million.

If you're gonna try to run down your football program in a show of support for the former coach, at least try to get your facts right.

Also, those were personal phone calls and solicitations to boosters, alums, and friends that had nothing to do with his regular university-appointed public appearances and fundraisers. Which is more than Mike Leach raised. Yes, MORE.

And no, I'm not a Mike Leach hater. I kinda dig a guy who gets his kicks dressing up like a pirate.

Now onto the more ignorant statements you've made--that somehow Tubs brought a culture of corruption from Auburn to Tech and that he "left in the middle of the night to dump OleMiss for Auburn."

First off, Tubs ran a clean program during his stint on the Plains. No question. Not even so much as a sniff. He didn't recruit Cam Newton and if you look at his recruiting classes compared to where the Tigers were finishing in the standings on a yearly basis (between 2002-2007, they never finished a season ranked lower than 15th), you'd know that Tubs was busy recruiting kids three-star kids who fit his system rather than five-star kids who didn't. Like a two-star high school safety who grew into linebacker Karlos Dansby. Or a three-star local product who was versatile enough to play three different positions on the Auburn defense. That kid, Will Herring, was a four-year starter during his time at Auburn and both Herring and Dansby were cornerstones of that 2004 undefeated team.

As far as him "leaving in the middle of the night," although it may be an exaggeration, it's somewhat true. Tubs said what he said (in case you're wondering, the infamous comment was, "They'll have to take me outta here in a pine box.") to try to keep his players focused on winning the Egg Bowl. He did, then held a team meeting, talked to his players, and had kept the Ole Miss Athletic Director abreast of what was going on so that he could move swiftly to pick up David Cutcliffe in time to prepare for the Independence Bowl.

Back to infractions that Auburn was (admittedly) responsible for in the past, it's not like Auburn was ever any worse than Bama, Nebraska, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, or even your beloved Texas Tech at paying players. Auburn was just dumber about it and was caught more often than those other schools. Much like SMU when they received the death penalty.

And since your school is so great at attracting top name coaches, let Tubs go and see how far you get. He turned down offers from much more well-established programs to take the job at Tech. I'd like to see who you wind up with and what you think of that coach.

Enjoy your slide into mediocrity after you run off Tubs.

http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/2010-10-23/espns-report-tuberville-has-raised-25-million-wrong

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/29/sports/college-football-mississippi-s-tuberville-gets-the-coaching-job-at-auburn.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Miss_Rebels_football#cite_note-15

big daddy russ
01-12-2011, 05:32 PM
:hand: Tuberville is a fraud.
How's that? He's been at two programs, built both into top-15 programs.

Tx Challenge
01-13-2011, 12:25 AM

Wow Bro......Fraud??? How? Just curious why you feel this way...Tubbs is a GREAT coach...You dont feel this way...Noted..., Respected, but I disagree. Maybe he is better off elsewhere.IDK. As a SEC fan, I would welcome him back.

WildTexan972
01-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Let's start off at the heart of the matter--Tubs' tenure at Tech--and then I'll digress into Auburn football.

First of all, you're way off on your number. The $1/4 million you're putting out there was actually $1.25 million. $500k for the practice field and $750k for upgrades to the locker room and weight rooms. Not exactly $25 million, but not exactly $1/4 million.

If you're gonna try to run down your football program in a show of support for the former coach, at least try to get your facts right.

Also, those were personal phone calls and solicitations to boosters, alums, and friends that had nothing to do with his regular university-appointed public appearances and fundraisers. Which is more than Mike Leach raised. Yes, MORE.

And no, I'm not a Mike Leach hater. I kinda dig a guy who gets his kicks dressing up like a pirate.

Now onto the more ignorant statements you've made--that somehow Tubs brought a culture of corruption from Auburn to Tech and that he "left in the middle of the night to dump OleMiss for Auburn."

First off, Tubs ran a clean program during his stint on the Plains. No question. Not even so much as a sniff. He didn't recruit Cam Newton and if you look at his recruiting classes compared to where the Tigers were finishing in the standings on a yearly basis (between 2002-2007, they never finished a season ranked lower than 15th), you'd know that Tubs was busy recruiting kids three-star kids who fit his system rather than five-star kids who didn't. Like a two-star high school safety who grew into linebacker Karlos Dansby. Or a three-star local product who was versatile enough to play three different positions on the Auburn defense. That kid, Will Herring, was a four-year starter during his time at Auburn and both Herring and Dansby were cornerstones of that 2004 undefeated team.

As far as him "leaving in the middle of the night," although it may be an exaggeration, it's somewhat true. Tubs said what he said (in case you're wondering, the infamous comment was, "They'll have to take me outta here in a pine box.") to try to keep his players focused on winning the Egg Bowl. He did, then held a team meeting, talked to his players, and had kept the Ole Miss Athletic Director abreast of what was going on so that he could move swiftly to pick up David Cutcliffe in time to prepare for the Independence Bowl.

Back to infractions that Auburn was (admittedly) responsible for in the past, it's not like Auburn was ever any worse than Bama, Nebraska, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Texas, Texas A&M, or even your beloved Texas Tech at paying players. Auburn was just dumber about it and was caught more often than those other schools. Much like SMU when they received the death penalty.

And since your school is so great at attracting top name coaches, let Tubs go and see how far you get. He turned down offers from much more well-established programs to take the job at Tech. I'd like to see who you wind up with and what you think of that coach.

Enjoy your slide into mediocrity after you run off Tubs.

http://lubbockonline.com/local-news/2010-10-23/espns-report-tuberville-has-raised-25-million-wrong

http://www.nytimes.com/1998/11/29/sports/college-football-mississippi-s-tuberville-gets-the-coaching-job-at-auburn.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ole_Miss_Rebels_football#cite_note-15

well how about this one Mr. Needs to Learn to Read.....never once did I say Tubs cheated at Auburn - I said they are known to be one of the worst at bein honest....their Board of Regents are THE worst - hence the Cam Newton buyoff....Tubs was a fraud in his dealings with Ole Miss, then SOMETHING was wrong at Auburn to go from undefeated to shortly there after being fired...he got the choice to say he was quittin or have it announced he was fired, like many at that level do....

I enjoyed Mike Leach's coaching stay at Tech, since for most of my life Tech's football program has been mediocre at best and very dull....Tubs just won't get that back here before he leaves - he is indeed a fraud and will hop back to the hillbilly conference his first chance, but in the meantime he will lie and kiss babies like the politician that he is and all you lickers will fall for it....

you sure made a long post to say my only error was a million dollars, even though I happen to know much of that dressing room renovation money was already lined up - they just got it sent in to help impress the new coach coming in and Tubs was involved in the hand shakin when the GOBs stopped by with the checks....

still the fact remains - all 3 areas went backwards this past season so his coaching was not impressive at all....

Matthew328
01-15-2011, 11:42 PM
Texas Tech commit Jon Lewis is visiting TCU this weekend

big daddy russ
01-16-2011, 12:11 AM
well how about this one Mr. Needs to Learn to Read.....never once did I say Tubs cheated at Auburn...

...I for 1 am tired of all these Auburn activities coming west as he prays for a job to the east...

Is that short enough for you?

MustangFootball
01-18-2011, 11:34 AM
texas tech added a 6-1, 205 pound linebacker justin cooper from davie,FLorida and according to his hs coach " he's a head hunter and a genius on the football field. he knows how to read offenses like a book and he's a striker. he's gonna knock a few helmets loose."
sounds good i hope tech gets this kid? national signing day is february 2.