PDA

View Full Version : Wharton AD- football coach Position

Blackcat1954
01-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Wonder when they will open up Wharton AD/football coach position

Stacy Hunt's contract comes to an end at the end of the semester and he said last year that he's already looking.

When it officially comes up I wonder how many will apply.

I think he just finished his 4th year for the Tigers

tog
01-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Any truth to the rumor that they are not going to have 9th grade athletics?

Lucky2Coach
01-11-2011, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by tog
Any truth to the rumor that they are not going to have 9th grade athletics?

That would not be good!!!

Johnnypaycheck
01-11-2011, 12:03 PM
This isn't the wonderful dream job it once was. Board will have to be willing to spend some money on facilities and more coaches to make it better.

Best of luck to all those involved.

scout1
01-20-2011, 11:50 AM
job posted....any word on those interested?

pancho villa
01-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Me!

Blackcat1954
01-20-2011, 12:09 PM
Bet that they dont get that many applicatons or quality ones.

Like you said football facilities are in poor shape. Players coming out is way down, not to say that there are great athletes in the hallways not playing.

Just hope this is a quick process and they hire the right guy.

Hunt still regrets leaving Granger to take this job after he found out what he was getting himsel into.

Blackcat1954
01-20-2011, 12:20 PM
The search for a new athletic director and head football coach at Wharton has begun.

Stacey Hunt has submitted his resignation, effective at the end of the current school year.

Hunt was at Wharton for three seasons and compiled a 8-22 record, while leading the Tigers to the 2008 bi-district playoffs.

Wharton went 3-7 last season and had a 1-3 record in District 29-3A.

"He has done a good job for us," said Wharton school district superintendent Kay Shoppa. "He was a valued member of our team."

Shoppa said the district will accept applications for the position through Feb. 2, and hopes to hire a new athletic director and head football coach by the end of February.

Hunt did not return phone messages Wednesday seeking comment.

Hunt came to Wharton from Granger, where he was the athletic director and head football coach for six seasons.

Hunt has also coached at Maypearl and at Elgin, Okla.

Ernest T Bass
01-20-2011, 01:00 PM
They'll get a ton of applications. The good gigs are the ones that don't get many. Every slap thinks he can get the bad ones. That's why you always get the 7th grade DC and 200 other coaches who apply for them. When Southlake opened a few years ago, there were only around 50 applications submitted, and almost all were from very well respected coaches, other than the outta state slaps who didn't know any better.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
01-21-2011, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Blackcat1954
The search for a new athletic director and head football coach at Wharton has begun.

Stacey Hunt has submitted his resignation, effective at the end of the current school year.

Hunt was at Wharton for three seasons and compiled a 8-22 record, while leading the Tigers to the 2008 bi-district playoffs.

What was Whartons record that year(2008) Anyone remember the score of the bi-district game?

maestro
01-22-2011, 09:20 AM
3-7

third place finisher in district.

bidistrict score was not close.

SHSBulldog00
01-22-2011, 11:50 AM
Wharton came in 4th.

maestro
01-22-2011, 12:22 PM

JohnnieLightnin
01-30-2011, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Johnnypaycheck
This isn't the wonderful dream job it once was. Board will have to be willing to spend some money on facilities and more coaches to make it better.

Best of luck to all those involved.

Dream job it once was? Come on Paycheck; Wharton has only won like 3 play-off games since 1954. Maybe you meant to say "nightmare" job it has always been. Whoever gets this job will feel it is more like a punishment than a reward.

Blackcat1954
02-21-2011, 02:30 PM
Anyword if this position was filled yet.
School board sure is taking their time

They got enough applications for it-Seems like they would have named someone by now

raider red 2000
02-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Blackcat1954
Anyword if this position was filled yet.
School board sure is taking their time

They got enough applications for it-Seems like they would have named someone by now

supposed to be having a special board meeting today.

just got a call former Tx State head coach Brad Wright accepted the job! i saw this on another site......could be true

FbCoachB40
02-21-2011, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
supposed to be having a special board meeting today.

just got a call former Tx State head coach Brad Wright accepted the job! i saw this on another site......could be true

That is about right!

They received a lot of good applications, and they hire someone (definitely qualified) who is already looking for a better job back at the collegiate level. I have seen this senario play out many times in my career. Coach Wright will be gone within two years.

44INAROW
02-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Originally published February 21, 2011 at 2 p.m., updated February 21, 2011 at 2 p.m.
Former Texas State head football coach Brad Wright has been named athletic director and head football coach at Wharton High School.

www.victoriaadvocate.com

Antec
02-21-2011, 08:26 PM
Brad did a great job when he was at East Bernard way back when-Wasn't he also an assistant at El Campo way back when as well.

Know Brad real well. Hope he can turn Wharton in the right direction but it will be tough

Johnnypaycheck
02-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Hope he can turn em around! And hope the school board and admin will allow him the leeway and resources to do so...

FbCoachB40
02-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Johnnypaycheck
Hope he can turn em around! And hope the school board and admin will allow him the leeway and resources to do so...

Don't count on it!!

I know someone who got an interview...He asked what the plans were for facilities, and they told him that they have no plans in the near future.

maestro
02-22-2011, 06:19 PM
no upgrade on facilities is really sad.