PDA

View Full Version : Booster Clubs

tigerball4life
01-10-2011, 11:23 AM
How much does your HC/AD do with your Booster Club?

1. Does he attend meetings?

2. Does he participate in meetings and give reports on all levels boys and girls?

3. is he a member; does he require / encourage his coaches to be members?

What does your coach do?

onsideanytime
01-10-2011, 11:26 AM
Our AD goes to meetings, thankfully he doesnt require us to go, it is basically a PTA on steroids, somehow ours has gone to all woman and 1 man who is the president

44INAROW
01-10-2011, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by onsideanytime
Our AD goes to meetings, thankfully he doesnt require us to go, it is basically a PTA on steroids, somehow ours has gone to all woman and 1 man who is the president
dang, that sucks for you'll - I think Cuero has a great booster club - The AD is there at 99% of the meetings and majority of the coaches (and some spouses) come as well. the AD attends the board meetings. General Meetings are the 1st Weds of every month - and beginning in Aug - every Weds until the state champhionship game. The board meetings are the 1st Weds of the month - 30 minutes before the general meeting. We have a great meal (cooked by a group of 4 or 5 guys , different guys each week) different menu each meeting. During the general meeting, the coaches give a brief run-down of the previous week's games (jr high - varsity, girls and boys) and upcoming events.. I'd say the 75% of those in attendance don't have kids playing, but are long-time members who have followed Gobblers athletics for 30+ years.

GrTigers6
01-10-2011, 01:36 PM
Our A/D comes to not all but probably half or more. and most of those he doesnt make he checks in and sees if we need anything or vice versa.

pirate4state
01-10-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by onsideanytime
... somehow ours has gone to all woman and 1 man who is the president Is this a problem? :confused: :D

Our AD always attends booster meetings. Sometimes the coach of the sport in season will make an appearance, but I don't think they are made to attend by the AD. Everything ultimately has to pass through the AD. It seems silly to "make" your other HCs attend meetings.

slpybear the bullfan
01-10-2011, 04:07 PM
Title IX Question... Do you have one large Booster club or a separate club for each sport?

Yoe_09
01-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Our HC/AD does come and participate in every meeting from what ive heard. I am not sure about assistants.

GrTigers6
01-10-2011, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Title IX Question... Do you have one large Booster club or a separate club for each sport? One big one

hookandladder
01-10-2011, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by tigerball4life

2. Does he participate in meetings and give reports on all levels boys and girls?

What does your coach do?

No to all above questions, cannot remember if any of our HC/AD attended. Have no problem that they do not attend, booster club meetings are mainly just officers.

crabman
01-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Like 44INAROW said our HC is at 99% of the meetings and generally delegates the updates on each sport to the respective coach. I remember when I first started going, the 7th grade B team boys football update would be given and it would carry the same weight as the varsity. Joy if they won and sadness if it was a loss. All girls sports are updated at every meeting. Golf, cross country. It doesn't matter. Booster club gives every parent access to our coaches in a casual setting. If your son is a lineman, you can talk to the line coach in a relaxed setting. During the season I would say that every meeting has at least a hundred attendees. Coaches are not "members" of the Booster Club but are the top of the food chain so to speak. 44 is also right that 75% of the booster club meeting attendees do not have children in the program. That is why we throw great track meets, great volley ball tournaments, and give all of the sports lots of money. If you want to know what has made Cuero what it is for the last 40 years look no further than the Booster Club and how that operation is run.

hookandladder
01-11-2011, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by crabman
Like 44INAROW said our HC is at 99% of the meetings and generally delegates the updates on each sport to the respective coach. I remember when I first started going, the 7th grade B team boys football update would be given and it would carry the same weight as the varsity. Joy if they won and sadness if it was a loss. All girls sports are updated at every meeting. Golf, cross country. It doesn't matter. Booster club gives every parent access to our coaches in a casual setting. If your son is a lineman, you can talk to the line coach in a relaxed setting. During the season I would say that every meeting has at least a hundred attendees. Coaches are not "members" of the Booster Club but are the top of the food chain so to speak. 44 is also right that 75% of the booster club meeting attendees do not have children in the program. That is why we throw great track meets, great volley ball tournaments, and give all of the sports lots of money. If you want to know what has made Cuero what it is for the last 40 years look no further than the Booster Club and how that operation is run.

I am not questioning Cuero's booster club meetings, as stated look at the success of the entire program. I do not think coaches need to attend these meetings, if you have a question for any coach I feel you should meet with that coach one on one. I am sure these type of booster club meetings are great when things are going good but when times get bad not so sure, Let the coaches coach and the armchair fans talk at the coffee shop.To each his own, this type of booster club meeting would never happen in LG.

PPHSfan
01-11-2011, 07:59 AM
The AD does not belong at booster club meetings. Neither do coaches. Well, maybe the cheerleader coach. :D

GrTigers6
01-11-2011, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
The AD does not belong at booster club meetings. Neither do coaches. Well, maybe the cheerleader coach. :D Why is that?
The entire program is designed around sports. so why wouldnt you want imput from coaches who know whats going on and can help with getting kids and parents involved?

rancher
01-11-2011, 09:34 AM
The AD/Head Coaches are not shy about asking the booster clubs for money? They should attend and account for their actions.

YTBulldogs
01-11-2011, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by hookandladder
I am not questioning Cuero's booster club meetings, as stated look at the success of the entire program. I do not think coaches need to attend these meetings, if you have a question for any coach I feel you should meet with that coach one on one. I am sure these type of booster club meetings are great when things are going good but when times get bad not so sure, Let the coaches coach and the armchair fans talk at the coffee shop.To each his own, this type of booster club meeting would never happen in LG.

Cuero's Booster Club (gobblersports.com) is the envy of many. It's what developes the "family" feeling, togetherness, the one for all attitude IMO. Developes bonds and helps keep all on the same page.

I plan to get more active in our local BC and can only hope to have a tenth of what Cuero has. Hat's off Cuero BC.

And, with the state education budget problems really looking bad upcoming, strong BC's will be even more vital to athletic programs IMO.

hookandladder
01-11-2011, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
Cuero's Booster Club (gobblersports.com) is the envy of many. It's what developes the "family" feeling, togetherness, the one for all attitude IMO. Developes bonds and helps keep all on the same page.

I plan to get more active in our local BC and can only hope to have a tenth of what Cuero has. Hat's off Cuero BC.

And, with the state education budget problems really looking bad upcoming, strong BC's will be even more vital to athletic programs IMO.

Have no problem with a booster club, the money generated and made available for all sports is great. Just saying no coach needs to come to any booster club meeting unless he or she chooses to attend and he or she does not need to answer to any booster club memeber. If you have a question or grip for any coach , meet him or her one on one. To much armchair coaching will ruin any good program.

44INAROW
01-11-2011, 10:21 AM
Have no problem with a booster club, the money generated and made available for all sports is great. Just saying no coach needs to come to any booster club meeting unless he or she chooses to attend and he or she does not need to answer to any booster club memeber. If you have a question or grip for any coach , meet him or her one on one. To much armchair coaching will ruin any good program.
I think you have mistaken something about the Cuero meetings- I've been going to 25 years+ - The coaches are NOT interrogated or questioned - it is a friendly atmosphere. We all sit together and talk about all kinds of stuff - last Weds night, the topic was deer hunting. I guess to each his own.. but to state it again - there is no questioning of the coaches at the meetings. I've NEVER seen a coach approached in a negative manner at a booster club meeting. There is NO armchair coaching going on at these meetings.

hookandladder
01-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I think you have mistaken something about the Cuero meetings- I've been going to 25 years+ - The coaches are NOT interrogated or questioned - it is a friendly atmosphere. We all sit together and talk about all kinds of stuff - last Weds night, the topic was deer hunting. I guess to each his own.. but to state it again - there is no questioning of the coaches at the meetings. I've NEVER seen a coach approached in a negative manner at a booster club meeting. There is NO armchair coaching going on at these meetings.

That is great, if coaches choose to attend and are not required to attend. Cuero has it going on, don't think all booster clubs are run that smoothly.

YTBulldogs
01-11-2011, 11:03 AM
That is great, if coaches choose to attend and are not required to attend. Cuero has it going on, don't think all booster clubs are run that smoothly.

I think a well ran and active BC, creates a wanting to be there by coaches. No one should attend if they don't want to be there IMO.

YTBulldogs
01-11-2011, 11:32 AM
I think a well ran and active BC, creates a wanting to be there by coaches. No one should attend if they don't want to be there IMO.

Curious, if your BC has a membership fee? Monthly, yearly? And, amount?

JustAFan
01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by rancher
The AD/Head Coaches are not shy about asking the booster clubs for money? They should attend and account for their actions.

Coaches only have to account for their actions to the Superintendent/board of trustees. They are employees of the district, not the booster club. The booster club is there for one purpose only - to support the program. Typically that means financially, but it is also through volunteering at track meets, volleyball tournaments, and many different other areas. Most booster clubs are very successful, which helps the athletic program be successful. Then you have those that think the coaches report to them...

pirate4state
01-11-2011, 01:00 PM
Curious, if your BC has a membership fee? Monthly, yearly? And, amount? We charge a yearly fee. Lowest level is $10; highest is $100.

OldBison75
01-11-2011, 05:11 PM
If the coach, or AD are asking the BC to give support and volunteer hours for events like track meets and tournaments, they better find time to be at some BC meetings. No, they are not there to be interrogated on their decisions, but they should be communications.

Our coaches attend alot of meetings and the head coach/AD is at all of the meetings. They give updates, sometimes have game film reviews, and are always talking about upcoming events and what the BC can do to help make them a success.

Our girls coach is very popular at these meetings and when they have a tournament, everybody in the BC wants to be a volunteer helper.

None of them are required to be there, but all are encouraged and all have a good enough relationship with the community they feel welcome and are among friends.

LH Panther Mom
01-11-2011, 10:42 PM

What does your coach do?
1. Yes. There may be one or two meetings per year that he's not in attendance. If he's not going to be there, either the Asst AD, Asst HFBC, or another "head" coach is there to represent.

2. Yes - we always get a report on ALL sports.

3. Yes; not sure if he requires or encourages, but several are.

bobcat1
01-11-2011, 10:52 PM

What does your coach do?
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Not sure

Last week's game film is running while we eat breakfast. All Coaches are there and we get a breakdown on each level down to Freshmen and Junior High. Then we get a full break down on last week and the upcoming week from he and the OC. Quarterback Club meets every Thursday morning during Football Season.

garciap77
01-11-2011, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Not sure

Last week's game film is running while we eat breakfast. All Coaches are there and we get a breakdown on each level down to Freshmen and Junior High. Then we get a full break down on last week and the upcoming week from he and the OC. Quarterback Club meets every Thursday morning during Football Season.

All we do is hang around with Bogey at the "girlie bar"!:D

;)

P.S. But, we are not in the Booster Club!:D

bobcat1
01-11-2011, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
All we do is hang around with Bogey at the "girlie bar"!:D

;)

P.S. But, we are not in the Booster Club!:D I need to live there.:nerd:

garciap77
01-11-2011, 11:10 PM
I need to live there.:nerd:

We have some purple grear ready for you and a nice dinner at ccmom's crib!:D

;)

bobcat1
01-11-2011, 11:12 PM
We have some purple grear ready for you and a nice dinner at ccmom's crib!:D

;) Sounds good. Question: Was 89 in your sig a good player?

garciap77
01-11-2011, 11:13 PM
Sounds good. Question: Was 89 in your sig a good player? Yes! That was 2009 team!

bobcat1
01-11-2011, 11:14 PM
Yes! That was 2009 team! Was he good?

ccmom
01-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Was he good? I get the feeling I should log off before you make me mad...:thinking: ...what are you getting at mister? ;)

bobcat1
01-12-2011, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by ccmom
I get the feeling I should log off before you make me mad...:thinking: ...what are you getting at mister? ;) No nothing at all. I have no clue who he is. He just looks like a great athlete. Seriously.

ccmom
01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
No nothing at all. I have no clue who he is. He just looks like a great athlete. Seriously. Just messin with ya ;) I know you better than that. Rayce is a hoot! He graduated last year and we missed his presence this season no doubt.

bobcat1
01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by ccmom
Just messin with ya ;) I know you better than that. Rayce is a hoot! He graduated last year and we missed his presence this season no doubt. I thought he looked like he could play.:thumbsup:

partimefan
01-12-2011, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Title IX Question... Do you have one large Booster club or a separate club for each sport?

Having separate clubs for each sport does not guarantee that you are meeting TitleIX requirements. In fact, it makes it harder to meet the requirements.

Title IX says that benefits provided to girl athletes should be equal to those provided to boys - - and that includes benefits provided by outside sources such as booster clubs.

Benefits provided by booster clubs cannot result in disparities between the boys’ and girls’ programs. If the money results in an inequity along gender lines, the district must correct the inequity, using its own funds if needed.

slpybear the bullfan
01-12-2011, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by partimefan
Having separate clubs for each sport does not guarantee that you are meeting TitleIX requirements. In fact, it makes it harder to meet the requirements.

Title IX says that benefits provided to girl athletes should be equal to those provided to boys - - and that includes benefits provided by outside sources such as booster clubs.

Benefits provided by booster clubs cannot result in disparities between the boys’ and girls’ programs. If the money results in an inequity along gender lines, the district must correct the inequity, using its own funds if needed.

I did not claim that one big club or seperate clubs is the right or wrong way to chase title IX. I just know different schools approach this aspect of title IX in different ways; one big club or clubs for each sport. I was curious how several out there do it.

GrTigers6
01-12-2011, 03:04 PM
in a school our size, seperate clubs would be a nightmare. its hard enough to find volunteers just for one. i couldnt imagine trying for several:doh:

slingshot
01-12-2011, 10:41 PM
Was he good? Yep. Very good blocking tight end that could catch the ball when needed... 88 was the best reciever on the team--playing at Colorado State now.

Roughneck_Dad
01-13-2011, 12:35 PM

What does your coach do? Our AD/HC attends the booster club meetings. There is a part of the meeting that is just for him (Coaches report) to go over what is going on with all sports. Other coaches come off and on mainly when they need help with a fund raiser or has a need for purchasing equipment or supplies. We have one club per all athleticts at our school.

957tiger
01-13-2011, 01:09 PM
The Sealy Tiger Booster Club meets every Monday during football season, and once a month the rest of the school year. The membership numbers were up this year and it was much appreciated by the board.

Football games require 8-10 members dedicated to assist with programs, spirit items and other promotional projects. We have many members who are either SHS alumni or had children come through the program. They assist when needed at all sporting events during the year. The AD/HC attends most of the meetings and if he is committed elsewhere he will send a member of his staff. The coach will discuss the previous game and give a preview of the next game. He is asked general questions about the team. There is the viewing of the game film that is well attended. Coaches from the in-season sport will give a report and they interact with the members in attendence.

The booster club was instrumented in bringing an Internet based broadcasting crew to realization. The Sealy Tiger Sports Network has been successful in bringing all tiger sports to the public. The booster club also assist in the web site dedicated to Sealy High student athletes