PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Congresswoman Shot In the Back of the Head

Blastoderm55
01-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Federal judge among confirmed fatalities. (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40978517/ns/politics/?gt1=43001)

bobcat1
01-08-2011, 04:43 PM
Sad day. Prayers to all involved.

Trashman
01-08-2011, 04:44 PM
Hope he gets the death penalty....Prayers to all the family's involved.:(

rockdale80
01-08-2011, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Trashman
Hope he gets the death penalty....Prayers to all the family's involved.:(

Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHoaZaLbqB4

BaseballUmp
01-08-2011, 06:40 PM
Odd video...

Phil C
01-08-2011, 06:56 PM
:(

rangerjim60
01-08-2011, 07:02 PM
9 year old also killed - death penalty not good enough - how about tied to a giant ant pile or put in a cell with killer bees..........

TexMike
01-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by rockdale80
Check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHoaZaLbqB4

If he was trying to set up an insanity defense, he may have succeeded!

What gets me is this was Arizona, a place very similar to Texas re personal gun rights. How is it that there was nobody in the crowd armed and ready to help him leave this "miserable" world?

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2011, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by TexMike

What gets me is this was Arizona, a place very similar to Texas re personal gun rights. How is it that there was nobody in the crowd armed and ready to help him leave this "miserable" world?

Big difference IMO of having a gun and actually being able to use it in a frantic situation.

TexMike
01-08-2011, 07:35 PM
Absolutely. But if you are going to carry one you oughta be ready to use it

poisoned10
01-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Odd video...

:ditto:

PPHSfan
01-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by TexMike

As I understood earlier. It was a citizen that returned fire, and a citizen that apprehended him.

YTBulldogs
01-08-2011, 09:21 PM
No one returned fire according to Pima Co. Sheriff. An aide of Giffords and a citizen tackled the gunman. It lasted about 10 seconds they said. So, I guess the bystanders were stunned and didn't have time to think what to do. Numerous rounds were still in the weapon they noted.

The 9 year old girl was just elected to her student council, and a family friend thought it would be neat for her to go see her female rep at this event.

This from http://www.azcentral.com/:

Also killed was 9-year-old Christina Taylor Green of Tucson.

A neighbor was going to the Giffords event and invited Christina along because she thought she would enjoy it, said her uncle, Greg Segalini.

Christina had just been elected to the student council at her school. The event, held outside a Safeway supermarket north of Tucson, was an opportunity for constituents to meet Giffords and talk about any concerns they had related to the federal government.

"The next thing you know this happened. How do you prepare for something like this. My little niece got killed-took one on the chest and she is dead," Segalini said outside the girl's house.

Christina was involved in many activities, from ballet to baseball, Segalini said.

"She was real special and real sweet," Segalini said.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2011/01/08/20110108arizona-congresswoman-gabrielle-giffords-shooting-victims-brk08-ON.html#ixzz1AV81fyVg

LionFan72
01-08-2011, 09:38 PM
Think there will be a lot more to this story in later days, but the crazies are all around us! The gun control nuts will jump in, but for my 2 cents, we should be all armed and willing to use it! I will be happy to disable a nut running amuck in public.

Prayers for the wounded and families of the dead!

Blastoderm55
01-08-2011, 10:01 PM
I think in this type of situation that anyone else with a gun would have been seen as a hostile and would be at risk to be taken down themselves.

LionFan72
01-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55
I think in this type of situation that anyone else with a gun would have been seen as a hostile and would be at risk to be taken down themselves.

I would not have a problem being cuffed and questioned for the good of mankind.

Just answer one question, If a bear is charging down on you and you have a .44 mag on your hip, are you going to "think" or you going to "shoot?"

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2011, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by LionFan72
I would not have a problem being cuffed and questioned for the good of mankind.

I dont think he meant cuffed

and he actually brings up a good point...a gun is fired in a crowd..then 4 people pull their own guns..who do they point it at? Then add the law and things could turn crazy quick

Trashman
01-08-2011, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Odd video...

Odd is just one word....psychotic, delusional, insane are a few others that come to mind.:eek:

TexMike
01-08-2011, 10:26 PM
That is a good "what if". We know police have killed other police thinking they were criminals so it is not a stretch to think that could happen between citizens also. I still think it is a risk worth taking when "the moment" arrives.

LionFan72
01-08-2011, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I dont think he meant cuffed

and he actually brings up a good point...a gun is fired in a crowd..then 4 people pull their own guns..who do they point it at? Then add the law and things could turn crazy quick

You do have a valid point, but there is a responsiblity in owning a gun. It is apparant that the gunman did not have that sense of responsibility. See, you get proper training before being allowed to carry a weapon LEGALY. You do not stand around pointing a loaded weapon at innocent people or you will be shot! You take out a threat, lay your weapon down at a reasonable time, and submit yourself to officers demands. Ever hear of common sense?

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2011, 10:40 PM
You do have a valid point, but there is a responsiblity in owning a gun. It is apparant that the gunman did not have that sense of responsibility. See, you get proper training before being allowed to carry a weapon LEGALY. You do not stand around pointing a loaded weapon at innocent people or you will be shot! You take out a threat, lay your weapon down at a reasonable time, and submit yourself to officers demands. Ever hear of common sense?

As long as the gunman is a clear target then ur right

but play out the scenario like it would prob happen..lets say your at a mall, thousands of people on a big shopping weekend..gun shots are fired, cant be seen but heard, those with guns are going to pull them..then they see others with guns..alot of yelling and running going on, cant be sure they will hear each other..things could go from bad to worse

Training is only that..what actually happens when the crap hits the fan is a different thing all together

LionFan72
01-08-2011, 10:46 PM

but play out the scenario like it would prob happen..lets say your at a mall, thousands of people on a big shopping weekend..gun shots are fired, cant be seen but heard, those with guns are going to pull them..then they see others with guns..alot of yelling and running going on, cant be sure they will hear each other..things could go from bad to worse

Training is only that..what actually happens when the crap hits the fan is a different thing all together

Ok, let's agree to disagree, we could scenario this way and that, but it would not change what happened. If is a huge word and makes gray areas for interpretation. Sorry, I would not pull my gun unless there was a direct threat. Training does work if the trainee participates.

DDBooger
01-08-2011, 10:49 PM
Training does work if the trainee participates. AZ doesn't require training to carry a concealed handgun.

YTBulldogs
01-08-2011, 10:51 PM
Ok, let's agree to disagree, we could scenario this way and that, but it would not change what happened. If is a huge word and makes gray areas for interpretation. Sorry, I would not pull my gun unless there was a direct threat. Training does work if the trainee participates.

For the average gun carrier, we have no idea how they will react when confronted with a nightmare situation like this.

Tejastrue
01-08-2011, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
AZ doesn't require training to carry a concealed handgun.

There is no amount of education that will help you in this type of situation.

DDBooger
01-08-2011, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by Tejastrue
There is no amount of education that will help you in this type of situation. I agree, even professionally trained soldiers have baptism of fire and they're EXPECTING it. Being armed is best when you yourself are the target (home invasion, break in) and you KNOW there is a threat. Otherwise, a highly motivated killer will almost always get his target.

Tejastrue
01-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I agree, even professionally trained soldiers have baptism of fire and they're EXPECTING it. Being armed is best when you yourself are the target (home invasion, break in) and you KNOW there is a threat. Otherwise, a highly motivated killer will almost always get his target.

DDBooger, I can say I'm not really thrilled that we are in agreement here. Wish we did not need this correspondence.

TexMike
01-09-2011, 03:49 AM
Aspiring politician Christina-Taylor Green was born in the midst of tragedy on Sept. 11, 2001, and died Saturday morning while trying to meet Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.

The strong-willed 9-year-old third-grader had gone to meet Giffords with a neighbor when she was shot. She died later at University Medical Center.

Her neighbor was shot four times and was recovering from surgery Saturday evening.

Christina-Taylor had just been elected to the student council at Mesa Verde Elementary School and had been interested in politics from a young age, her father, John Green, said Saturday night.

"She was a good speaker. I could have easily seen her as a politician," her father said.

The brown-eyed athletic girl had one sibling, an 11-year-old brother named Dallas, and the two loved to go swimming together.

She'd already told her parents she wanted to attend Penn State one day and have a career that involved helping those less fortunate than her.

She also loved animals and was a passionate dancer who loved ballet, hip-hop, jazz and gymnastics and was the only girl on her Canyon del Oro Little League baseball team, "The Pirates." She played second base.

Christina-Taylor came from a family of baseball players. Her grandfather, former major-league pitcher Dallas Green, was team manager for the Philadelphia Phillies when they won the World Series in 1980.

"She kept up with everyone, she was a strong girl, a very good athlete and a strong swimmer," said her mother, Roxanna Green. "She was interested in everything. She got a guitar for Christmas so her next thing was learning to play guitar."

Christina-Taylor also enjoyed singing in a church choir at St. Odilia's Catholic Church, where she had received her first Holy Communion in the spring.

"'Let the children come to me,' Jesus said (Matthew 19:14). Christina is with Him," Roman Catholic Diocese of Tucson Bishop Gerald F. Kicanas wrote in a letter to parishioners sent from Jordan, where he is attending a bishops' meeting.

Already aware of inequalities in the world around her, Christina-Taylor often repeated the same phrase to her mother: "We are so blessed. We have the best life."

Her birth date no doubt helped inspire Christina-Taylor's interest in politics, Roxanna Green said. She was one of 50 9/11 babies featured in a book called "Faces of Hope."

"She was born back east and Sept. 11 affected everyone there, and Christina-Taylor was always very aware of it. She was very patriotic and wearing red, white and blue was really special to her," her mother said.

"She was all about helping people, and being involved. It's so tragic. She went to learn today and then someone with so much hatred in their heart took the lives of innocent people."

http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_28c8e686-1ca6-5b3e-ab85-965bd22c68c0.html

YTBulldogs
01-09-2011, 11:00 AM
Nice post Mike. She seemed like what this country needed from her generation. Not to mention, ours.

HeavyD
01-09-2011, 11:24 AM

Being able to fight back or have someone else fight back for you is better than hiding and waiting for your executioner to make his way to you.

LIONS#1
01-09-2011, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Blastoderm55

If anyone there had a weapon he or she would have went through a gun class on how and when to use your weapon. In this case anyone with a weapon that would have used it on this POS would have been deemed a HERO!! IMHO

DDBooger
01-09-2011, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by LIONS#1
If anyone there had a weapon he or she would have went through a gun class on how and when to use your weapon. Not required in AZ

Originally posted by LIONS#1
In this case anyone with a weapon that would have used it on this POS would have been deemed a HERO!! IMHO Someone without one stopped him. And he did while the guy was reloading, so there is a hero.

LIONS#1
01-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Not required in AZ

Someone without one stopped him. And he did while the guy was reloading, so there is a hero.

Just to bad Tax payer money will be spent prosecuting this garbage bag. The guy who tackled this guy is in fact a hero. Just to bad he got off a full clip before being subdued. This guy was going to do what he did regardless of any laws.

LIONS#1
01-09-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally posted by HeavyD
Being able to fight back or have someone else fight back for you is better than hiding and waiting for your executioner to make his way to you.

I agree!!

big daddy russ
01-10-2011, 09:31 AM
I don't know of too many people who wouldn't have a hard time reacting in that situation. Those of us who were raised to wield a gun responsibly have a much harder time pointing it at another human than a bear or other animal.

I think that those people who would not hesitate to act in such a circumstance are either well-trained in law enforcement/military action or have a genuine hatred for others. I know I would hesitate to fire until I'm 110% sure that I'm firing at the right person, and would still hesitate at the thought of killing another human.

The best example I have was from four or five years ago in College Station. Me and a buddy were leaving Northgate at about 1:30 AM and came across a fight involving a pregnant girl and her boyfriend where the girl was just trying to leave in her car and the man was hitting and grabbing her, yelling at her in front of roughly 30 witnesses. To make matters worse, his buddy was trying to keep everyone away, telling us all that it was none of our business.

I was the only one to act, throwing the boyfriend against the wall and telling the girl to close and lock her car door and leave. As I held him there, his buddy came and gave me a few good shots to the back of the head and I was out. There were people walking by, but nobody helped.

There's a catharsis that's involved with a situation like that that paralyzes all of us who didn't grow up in violent situations. If I'm being perfectly honest, it took me a good 10-15 seconds before I processed everything and got the nerve to go over and help. Meanwhile, people were walking by just watching. Even had one kid who was telling the guy to just jump in the car because he didn't want anyone to call the cops and him receive an MIP.

When your "switch" isn't turned on, it's many times difficult to find it and turn it on. One of my best friends played LB for Texas Tech back in the 90's and is (and always has been) one of the nicest, most mild-mannered guys you'll ever meet. But he's an animal when he's in pads. Same deal--he knows when/where he's supposed to flip the switch on and when/where he's not.