PDA

View Full Version : Traditional or Native Mexican Food

Bullaholic
01-07-2011, 12:48 PM
We have had this discussion in the past during non-football season, and I always find it extremely interesting---especially when we hear from our posters of Hispanic decent.

What is considered "traditional" Mexican food? Is it distinguished by Regional areas of Mexico, and how does it differ one area to another?

What are the differences between traditional Mexican food and Tex-Mex?

What do you look for as the criteria for a good Mexican restaurant or dish, other than the generality "good food"?

Is a Mexaican restaurant considered "good" or "traditional" if many Hispanic people eat there?

slpybear the bullfan
01-07-2011, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
We have had this discussion in the past during non-football season, and I always find it extremely interesting---especially when we hear from our posters of Hispanic decent.

What is considered "traditional" Mexican food? Is it distinguished by Regional areas of Mexico, and how does it differ one area to another?

What do you look for as the criteria for a good Mexican restaurant or dish, other than the generality "good food"?

Is a Mexaican restaurant considered "good" or "traditional" if many Hispanic people eat there?

Hmmm... great topic!

I love TEX MEX. It varies so much within the state though that it is getting hard to pin down just what this really is.

I haven't cared for much (read ALL) of the MEX I have eaten in the bay area of California.

I liked most of the MEX I have eaten in New Mexico... (Santa Fe and Alburqurque(sp?))

And the ONE TEX MEX place I found in EATON, Ohio was suprisingly..... Good!

Interested to hear from others!

Yoe_09
01-07-2011, 01:07 PM
Tex Mex. I gotta have my Chimi.

Bullaholic
01-07-2011, 01:13 PM
As I've said before, it is almost impossible for a non-Hispanic or novice to prepare good Mexican food at home. You just can't go out and buy those pre-fab ingredients and throw them together to get anything remotely resembling the good stuff you get in a good Mexican restaurant.

P4S was kind enough to share some of her fav receipes with me, and I am gonig to try them soon if I can still find em'...

pirate4state
01-07-2011, 01:23 PM
haha you know what this mexican orders at "mexican" resturants? FAJITAS!!!! LOL

Ex-Tiger2005
01-07-2011, 01:23 PM

We had some people from down under cook at a wedding rehearsal for some friends and I have never tasted food that amazing anywhere. It was to die for...they cooked a whole pig in a trough basically under ground and covered it with blankets, rice was basic spanish rice, papas, and whole beans that would melt ur taste buds. But the best part was the corn tortillas and not the crappy ones from the store :ack!: I am talking homemade fat corn tortillas that will clog the arteries! We got our plates and tort and walked thru the line and the meat just fell off the bones and everything sounded so basic but everything was seasoned unlike i have had before. It was awesome and beats the hell out of any restaurant i have ever had! :clap:

AP Panther Fan
01-07-2011, 01:25 PM
I like Tex Mex, but am not particularly fond of Mexican food IN Mexico.

I think cheese should be yellow/orange and cheddar... none of that white goat's milk stuff. And speaking of goats...I really don't enjoy seeing them hanging in a window before roasting.

One last thing...tortilla chips should be corn (yellow), not overly greasy and not red or green in color. Something about those greasy red and green chips makes me quesy. (sp?)

garciap77
01-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
Hmmm... great topic!

I love TEX MEX. It varies so much within the state though that it is getting hard to pin down just what this really is.

I haven't cared for much (read ALL) of the MEX I have eaten in the bay area of California.

I liked most of the MEX I have eaten in New Mexico... (Santa Fe and Alburqurque(sp?))

And the ONE TEX MEX place I found in EATON, Ohio was suprisingly..... Good!

Interested to hear from others!

I like TEX MEX too, but it is hard to pin down even within a city or town.

I'm with you on the Mexican food it the Bay Area (Mt View, Ca.)! We lived there for six years and we did not find what I would call good Mexican food. We just made our own which is the best.

I liked most of the Mexcian food in New Mexico. Lived in Albuquerque for a few years, but like the Mexican food in the southern parts better, like Las Cruces, Mesilla, etc....

The best Mexican food I have ever eaten was in Des Moines, Iowa. We were there for a National Track meet a couple of years ago and the Mexican food at a couple of places we went to were great!!!!

garciap77
01-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I like Tex Mex, but am not particularly fond of Mexican food IN Mexico.

I think cheese should be yellow/orange and cheddar... none of that white goat's milk stuff. And speaking of goats...I really don't enjoy seeing them hanging in a window before roasting.

One last thing...tortilla chips should be corn (yellow), not overly greasy and not red or green in color. Something about those greasy red and green chips makes me quesy. (sp?)

Tortilla chips should always be purple! Especially during football season!:D

;)

pancho villa
01-07-2011, 01:35 PM
If the salsa is not good at a mexican place I don't like it. I was in Chicago during Christmas and my brother took me to eat mexican food and it was AWSOME. However the owner was from Rosenberg Tx. When I told him I was from West Columbia he gave me, my bro, son, and nephew a T-shirt from his place. Got to love good folks and food!

AP Panther Fan
01-07-2011, 01:39 PM
I always worry about the salsa...not about how good it is, but how many tables it has been to before it reaches mine.

Bullaholic
01-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Is it the blend of spices that make good Mexican food? In most Gringo-Mex food--all I can taste is chili powder, but in good Mexican food the flavors just seem to explode.

Bullaholic
01-07-2011, 01:47 PM
Are there special traditional Mexican dishes served at Mexican weddings and Quinseaneras? If so, what are they?

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 01:47 PM
I like both. My mother's fideo, carne guisada and beans and rice go OFF! Authentic is good too and MUCH LESS fattening than Tex-Mex. I'm not crazy about tamales and can not "stomach" menudo.

garciap77
01-07-2011, 01:49 PM
Is it the blend of spices that make good Mexican food? In most Gringo-Mex food--all I can taste is chili powder, but in good Mexican food the flavors just seem to explode.

That's because chili powder is not used in most Mexican homes. I prefer the Hatch Red Chilies from New Mexico. And the Green ones too! I like to make my Tacos from shredded beef and soft corn tortillas, not the hard ones that Taco Bell sells!

bobcat1
01-07-2011, 01:50 PM
I like Primos in Decatur and get the Beef and bean . The little taco stand between Decatur and Chico at 1655 and 1810 is good too. I usually get 3 Lingua there.:D

pirate4state
01-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by garciap77
That's because chili powder is not used in most Mexican homes. I prefer the Hatch Red Chilies from New Mexico. And the Green ones too! I like to make my Tacos from shredded beef and soft corn tortillas, not the hard ones that Taco Bell sells! This confirms my suspicions. I am not mexican! LOL

We use chili powder in our home. Always have.

;)

garciap77
01-07-2011, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
I like both. My mother's fideo, carne guisada and beans and rice go OFF! Authentic is good too and MUCH LESS fattening than Tex-Mex. I'm not crazy about tamales and can not "stomach" menudo.

Now that's what I call real Mexican food! FIDEO and beans are one of my favorite, with corn tortillas.

Whimp (Menudo)!:D

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 01:53 PM

Whimp (Menudo)!:D I tried, with a buttload of hot sauce and lime and it didn't help :(

garciap77
01-07-2011, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
This confirms my suspicions. I am not mexican! LOL

We use chili powder in our home. Always have.

;)

You are just a young Mexican! Haha Just like my son.:D

:p

;)

garciap77
01-07-2011, 01:54 PM
I tried, with a buttload of hot sauce and lime and it didn't help :(

Did you have a hangover when you tried it?:D

;)

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Did you have a hangover when you tried it?:D

;) I wouldn't have kept it down. I can't eat with a hangover.

Bullaholic
01-07-2011, 01:59 PM
Ever tried mescal? Always saw it drunk in movies, but I've never tried it.

Bullaholic
01-07-2011, 02:02 PM
Any of you buy your ingredients at a Mexican grocery? I'm looking for a Mexican cullinary education--I really want to prepare some good Mexican food at home.

AP Panther Fan
01-07-2011, 02:05 PM

My favorite seasoning to taste is cumin or comino. Are they a slight variation of each other?

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 02:05 PM
My favorite seasoning to taste is cumin or comino. Are they a slight variation of each other? too much will ruin a meal lol. But yes, it is real good.

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Ever tried mescal? Always saw it drunk in movies, but I've never tried it. My father has a few jugs of it. It's like Mexican moonshine lol. Oh and it's Mezcal. You don't want to be using Mescaline haha

Bullaholic
01-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Mexican vanilla is the best.

ccmom
01-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Mexican vanilla is the best.

Absolutely!!!

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 02:08 PM
chocolate is pretty good too. Those spicy lollipops aren't too shabby as well as the leche quemado

bobcat1
01-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Tres Leches cake is awesome too

Bullaholic
01-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Anybody make flan?

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Tres Leches cake is awesome too ewww, I knew I was forgetting something. That stuff is rich and good.

AP Panther Fan
01-07-2011, 02:14 PM
My daughter-in-law is hispanic. She recently coached me through making spanish rice. I wish I would have paid closer attention to the enchiladas though...it was almost like starting out with a bunch of seasonings and making a roux.

P4S makes some mighty good chicken enchiladas too!

AP Panther Fan
01-07-2011, 02:20 PM
Anybody make flan?

yuk and

yuk....

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 02:21 PM

yuk.... :dispntd:

ccmom
01-07-2011, 02:21 PM

Yummmmmmmm:clap:

44INAROW
01-07-2011, 02:24 PM
I made muy bueno refried beans....... and some pretty darn good enchiladas......... Love salsa... with lots of cilantro in it :)

AP Panther Fan
01-07-2011, 02:25 PM
:dispntd:

I don't like Mexican cookies either.....I mean what is up with them?

Some of them aren't even sweet and some of them are super sweet (coated in powder sugar). What are the spanish names for them?

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 02:27 PM
I don't like Mexican cookies either.....I mean what is up with them?

Some of them aren't even sweet and some of them are super sweet (coated in powder sugar). What are the spanish names for them? The Gamesa brand? I'm not crazy of the cookies either.

44INAROW
01-07-2011, 02:28 PM

lol I have a funny story but it's not board appropriate.. oh and if drinking 3/4 the bottle, including the worm, means "trying mescal" YES, I've TRIED it.. threw up for 2 days too :doh: Think it was Cosana Rojo or something like that - we bought it in Nuevo Laredo - circa 1973........ dang, I have a indigestion just thinking about that night :eek: :nerd: :doh:

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
lol I have a funny story but it's not board appropriate.. oh and if drinking 3/4 the bottle, including the worm, means "trying mescal" YES, I've TRIED it.. threw up for 2 days too :doh: Think it was Cosana Rojo or something like that - we bought it in Nuevo Laredo - circa 1973........ dang, I have a indigestion just thinking about that night :eek: :nerd: :doh:
MeZcal...don't want to be accused of using Mescaline :nerd: :D

slpybear the bullfan
01-07-2011, 02:38 PM
I like Primos in Decatur and get the Beef and bean . The little taco stand between Decatur and Chico at 1655 and 1810 is good too. I usually get 3 Lingua there.:D

Primos is great. I have passed by the one at 1655 and 1810 many a time going or coming from hunting.

I wouldn't stop at Don Jose's. But I would stop at Dos Chiles, Casa Torres, or the new one on the square in Chico.

You really need to holler sometime when you are passing through and get Bullaholic and I to meet you for some vittles!

slpybear the bullfan
01-07-2011, 02:39 PM

I have had Mezcal for breakfast from a pottery jug. And it was a good/bad as it sounds!

Bullaholic
01-07-2011, 02:41 PM
I have had Mezcal for breakfast from a pottery jug. And it was a good/bad as it sounds!

You sure it was mezcal in that jug, slpy? Hard to tell with a bad headache and just one eye partially open....:D

AP Panther Fan
01-07-2011, 02:50 PM
The Gamesa brand? I'm not crazy of the cookies either.

Actually, I guess they are pastries rather than cookies and you see them at a Mexican Bakery...

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=408200161287&id=7dc5d673a48a6504006a5abf3978e898

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Actually, I guess they are pastries rather than cookies and you see them at a Mexican Bakery...

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=408200161287&id=7dc5d673a48a6504006a5abf3978e898 OH! Okay, I'm not crazy about those either, my parents were with coffee.

bobcat1
01-07-2011, 02:54 PM
Primos is great. I have passed by the one at 1655 and 1810 many a time going or coming from hunting.

I wouldn't stop at Don Jose's. But I would stop at Dos Chiles, Casa Torres, or the new one on the square in Chico.

You really need to holler sometime when you are passing through and get Bullaholic and I to meet you for some vittles! Will do. I love Casa Torres hot sauce.

slpybear the bullfan
01-07-2011, 02:57 PM
Will do. I love Casa Torres hot sauce.
Yup... that is what make the place so popular. The rest of the food to me is good... but not worth the wait.

You had a Rock City Burger in Bridgeport yet?

pirate4state
01-07-2011, 02:58 PM

http://ts4.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=408200161287&id=7dc5d673a48a6504006a5abf3978e898 lol i catagorize that as "pan dulce", but there is another name my mom uses to identify them and i don't like 'em either! blyek!

i love spanish rice yummmmmmmmmmmmmm, but oh so bad for me :(

44IAR how do you make your refried beans?

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 02:58 PM
anyone make their own hot sauce? I use a handful of serrano peppers, two tomatoes, boil it, and throw it in the blender, add some salt and voila! HOT!

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 02:59 PM

http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo39/Ariel5247/lard.jpg:devil:

pirate4state
01-07-2011, 03:00 PM
anyone make their own hot sauce? I use a handful of serrano peppers, two tomatoes, boil it, and throw it in the blender, add some salt and voila! HOT!

my mom will suate onions, add serrano peppers, crushed peppers and a can of extra hot rotel and bam she has salsa. everyone LOVES it and I just giggle because it's so easy to make!

bobcat1
01-07-2011, 03:01 PM
Yup... that is what make the place so popular. The rest of the food to me is good... but not worth the wait.

You had a Rock City Burger in Bridgeport yet? Not yet. Are they good?

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 03:01 PM
my mom will suate onions, add serrano peppers, crushed peppers and a can of extra hot rotel and bam she has salsa. everyone LOVES it and I just giggle because it's so easy to make! sounds tasty, ever had choriqueso?

pirate4state
01-07-2011, 03:02 PM
http://i359.photobucket.com/albums/oo39/Ariel5247/lard.jpg:devil: :hairpunk:

but i'm sure the way my mom makes 'em isn't any better for me! LOL

she'll fry a few strips of bacon and use the bacon grease, throw in a tablespoon of flour and "toast" it to make the beans thick and omg mmmmmmmmm

another thing that is bad for me *sigh*

bobcat1
01-07-2011, 03:03 PM
anyone make their own hot sauce? I use a handful of serrano peppers, two tomatoes, boil it, and throw it in the blender, add some salt and voila! HOT! I make my own. Jalepenos Onions Tomatoes all go in the blender with Garlic Salt to taste. I don't like Cliantro so I leave it out.

bobcat1
01-07-2011, 03:04 PM
:hairpunk:

but i'm sure the way my mom makes 'em isn't any better for me! LOL

she'll fry a few strips of bacon and use the bacon grease, throw in a tablespoon of flour and "toast" it to make the beans thick and omg mmmmmmmmm

another thing that is bad for me *sigh* That's the right way! :clap:

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 03:05 PM
literally gaining El B's reading this thread. :mad:

AP Panther Fan
01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
I don't like Cliantro so I leave it out.

I don't like cilantro at all either.

PPHSfan
01-07-2011, 03:22 PM
I only have this to say on the entire matter. "Fresco's Cocina Mexicana in Burleson Tx."

Until you've eaten at Fresco's, you have not truly lived.

Bullaholic
01-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by PPHSfan
I only have this to say on the entire matter. "Fresco's Cocina Mexicana in Burleson Tx."

Until you've eaten at Fresco's, you have not truly lived.

Diversified into the restaurant business now, PPHSFan? Hard to run that from the fantail of the Hatteras....:D

44INAROW
01-07-2011, 04:12 PM
I am honored you asked :) (after all the raving I've heard about your chicken enchiladas :) )

I fry up a pound of bacon, pretty crisp, in my cast iron skillet (it's 28 years old now and well seasoned :) )
Let the bacon-grease cool a minute or two and then put the skillet back on the heat/stove burner;
add 1 large onion chopped (not too small) and saute them until they are transluscent (aka let them sweat to clear color) then;

Add the following to the skillet -

1 or 2 cans of ROSARITA Refried Beans (has to be Rosarita)
dash of garlic salt,
pinch of Chili Powder,
picante sauce (not alot) and
bacon, crumble what is left (my boys usually ate most of the bacon while it was cooling, so I only would have a few slices left)
Heat a few mins and they are ready.. Pretty easy and Oh So Good :)

Pendragon13
01-07-2011, 04:20 PM
I've had "Mexican food" in a few other states besides Texas....but Tex-mex is still my favorite. Seems that each state puts their local spin on it with mixed results....New Mexico is good, but can be a little too spicy. Colorado seems to think huge wads of grated cheese needs to be on everything...not much flavor though. Cali-mex can either be pretty good or pretty bad...depends on if they're trying to be healthy or not. Forget trying to get good Mexican north of Arkansas...especially if you're partial to Tex-Mex.

PPHSfan
01-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Diversified into the restaurant business now, PPHSFan? Hard to run that from the fantail of the Hatteras....:D
I do not own Fresco's. However, I spend a lot of money there. The food is amazing. The hot sauce is top of the line. I've eaten a lot of Mexican food all over the world, and I must say, Fresco's has it going on.

slpybear the bullfan
01-07-2011, 05:40 PM
Not yet. Are they good?

Rock City is worth the Stop in Bridgeport. Right across from the Sonic on 114/101.

Get the Jalepeno bun on yours. Yum!

slpybear the bullfan
01-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Martha's Mexican Concina just South of Cabela's... just north of Ft. Worth on I35W. Take the Hertiage Trace exit and go east for about a mile. Look for it on the right.

The best I have had in the area so far.

For chain places? Maybe Catina Laredo?

bobcat1
01-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Rock City is worth the Stop in Bridgeport. Right across from the Sonic on 114/101.

Get the Jalepeno bun on yours. Yum! I'll try it next time I head to Graham

pirate4state
01-07-2011, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I am honored you asked :) (after all the raving I've heard about your chicken enchiladas :) )

I fry up a pound of bacon, pretty crisp, in my cast iron skillet (it's 28 years old now and well seasoned :) )
Let the bacon-grease cool a minute or two and then put the skillet back on the heat/stove burner;
add 1 large onion chopped (not too small) and saute them until they are transluscent (aka let them sweat to clear color) then;

Add the following to the skillet -

1 or 2 cans of ROSARITA Refried Beans (has to be Rosarita)
dash of garlic salt,
pinch of Chili Powder,
picante sauce (not alot) and
bacon, crumble what is left (my boys usually ate most of the bacon while it was cooling, so I only would have a few slices left)
Heat a few mins and they are ready.. Pretty easy and Oh So Good :) canned beans :( shame on you! :D

Blastoderm55
01-07-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm not crazy about tamales and can not "stomach" menudo.

Same, and that's all the family makes during the holidays. :mad:

AP Panther Fan
01-07-2011, 05:57 PM
canned beans :( shame on you! :D

LOL...I knew you were going to give her a hard time about that!:D

Just think how quick and easy that is though. As a matter of fact, to hell with all the other steps, just open the can and put them in the pan.:wave:

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 05:58 PM
LOL...I knew you were going to give her a hard time about that!:D

Just think how quick and easy that is though. As a matter of fact, to hell with all the other steps, just open the can and put them in the pan.:wave: add some chorizo to it, awesome.

AP Panther Fan
01-07-2011, 06:10 PM
add some chorizo to it, awesome.

You are pretty smart....I was looking up chorizo (I always confuse it with menudo) and here is what Wikipedia said...

"A popular Mexican recipe in which chorizo is used as an ingredient is to combine it with pinto or black refried beans. This is done by simply frying the chorizo and then combining it with refried beans."

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 06:19 PM
You are pretty smart....I was looking up chorizo (I always confuse it with menudo) and here is what Wikipedia said...

"A popular Mexican recipe in which chorizo is used as an ingredient is to combine it with pinto or black refried beans. This is done by simply frying the chorizo and then combining it with refried beans." You'll never want to eat beans differently.

garciap77
01-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Try adding a little garlic, onion, and some cilantro.:)

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 06:37 PM
Try adding a little garlic, onion, and some cilantro.:) When it's ready, I like to saute it with onion. Tastes good on Barbacoa which I can't get here :( lol

garciap77
01-07-2011, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by Pendragon13
I've had "Mexican food" in a few other states besides Texas....but Tex-mex is still my favorite. Seems that each state puts their local spin on it with mixed results....New Mexico is good, but can be a little too spicy. Colorado seems to think huge wads of grated cheese needs to be on everything...not much flavor though. Cali-mex can either be pretty good or pretty bad...depends on if they're trying to be healthy or not. Forget trying to get good Mexican north of Arkansas...especially if you're partial to Tex-Mex.

If you are ever in Des Moines, Iowa, try the Mexican food, it is unbelievably good! I ordered some caritas, just to see if they really knew how to cook them, and I was really surprised on how good they were. You are correct about Cali-mex, lived there a total of 9 years, 6 in the bay area and 3 West Central area.

garciap77
01-07-2011, 06:47 PM
When it's ready, I like to saute it with onion. Tastes good on Barbacoa which I can't get here :( lol

You can make some!:D

;)

Do you eat your Barbacoa with corn tortillas and Big Red as your drink?

garciap77
01-07-2011, 06:54 PM
You'll never want to eat beans differently.

My favorite is Chorizo with beans over any other Chorizo combination! Man that is good! I like the Peyton’s brand. http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/1686592_2900901_290.jpg

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 07:03 PM
You can make some!:D

;)

Do you eat your Barbacoa with corn tortillas and Big Red as your drink? OH yeah

garciap77
01-07-2011, 07:06 PM
OH yeah

Well, I'm getting ready to go eat some leftover posole, that stuff is good. I like to eat it with french bread and a nice cool beer with lime!

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 07:09 PM
Well, I'm getting ready to go eat some leftover posole, that stuff is good. I like to eat it with french bread and a nice cool beer with lime! Posole isn't bad. I'm getting ready to thaw out some carne guisada I brought back with me and down some XX and lime. Stay thirsty my friend ;)

garciap77
01-07-2011, 07:17 PM
Posole isn't bad. I'm getting ready to thaw out some carne guisada I brought back with me and down some XX and lime. Stay thirsty my friend ;)

Carne guisada is awesome! Especially with Doz Equis and Lime!http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd185/garciap77/3358507269_63d9b05fb7.jpg