PDA

View Full Version : Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn - EDITED

Ranger Mom
01-06-2011, 05:04 PM
What is your opinion???

If I have ever read "The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" I don't remember enough about it to discuss it.

I was watching TV last night and saw where the 219 "N-words" were being edited to "slave" because the book is banned in so many schools.

Now....you can still buy the original at bookstores, but Wal-mart and places such as that will only carry the edited version.

Mark Twain once wrote: The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter—'tis the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

I bet he is rolling over in his grave!!

I watched two black men debate the issue on Joy Behar...and I am kinda on the fence on this one.

Here is the HLN link with the video from from the Joy Behar show...I know lots of people don't like her, but listen to the points made for both sides. (I think its the second video down)

Joy Behar (http://joybehar.blogs.cnn.com/)

What I don't understand, this book is "offensive" to some so it needs to be edited, yet a convicted pedophile can write and sell a book online on how to molest children??:doh:

TheDOCTORdre
01-06-2011, 05:54 PM
heard they also edited Injun Joe to Indian Joe...its a freaking joke...damn PC activists

Tejastrue
01-06-2011, 06:58 PM
They actually carry Mark Twain books at Wal-Mart? This is just PC out the wazooo! You don't have to buy it!! It's not like the book jumped up in your face and screamed "I have 219 N-words inside, you must be offended". Do people actually think this will change anything? Are we to refuse to believe how things once were and how people conversed. We cannot change our history however offensive it may have been whether it be war, politics, religion, racism, and especially writings/literature. This includes the language of the times. We can make changes for the better but we cannot hide the fact it happened. I believe it is healthy to remember our past and continue to move forward. How can we learn from it if we continue this crusade to bury it.

Ernest T Bass
01-06-2011, 07:05 PM
219? I know rap songs that have more than that.

TheDOCTORdre
01-06-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by Ernest T Bass

no that doesn't count because it ends with an "a" instead of an "er" :D :D :D

and Mark Twain should have known that only blacks are allowed to say that :doh: :doh:

Tejastrue
01-06-2011, 07:52 PM

Good point ETB. That's the hypocrisy of it all. :mad: :doh:

Tejastrue
01-06-2011, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre

and Mark Twain should have known that only blacks are allowed to say that :doh: :doh:

:spitlol: :spitlol:

turbostud
01-06-2011, 08:51 PM
TIME and CHANGE are the crucial points in this discussion. This book was written at a different time and things have changed for the better. To go back and alter history is stupid.

Hornet Mom 2
01-06-2011, 09:04 PM
If you don't want to see that word in print, don't read the book. And parents should monitor what their kids are reading anyway. My son (junior now) brought home a permission slip from school last year that I had to sign for him to read "To Kill a Mockingbird." I actually laughed as I signed it, because the rap music and movies these days, that are rated PG-13 even, have MUCH WORSE things in them then TKAM does. Don't edit the book. Take it for what it is, a part of history.

turbostud
01-06-2011, 09:34 PM

I wonder what will happen 125 years from now when they decide to change the words in those rap songs.

DDBooger
01-06-2011, 09:41 PM
curriculum and rap are not the same thing. One book is read in literature, rap isn't. At least the kind with N-bombs. I disagree with this stuff, but those of you who think this is PC should check history, removing books and editing them from libraries and curriculum goes back for MANY years, decades even. Stupid

Saggy Aggie
01-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
curriculum and rap are not the same thing. One book is read in literature, rap isn't. At least the kind with N-bombs. I disagree with this stuff, but those of you who think this is PC should check history, removing books and editing them from libraries and curriculum goes back for MANY years, decades even. Stupid DD is wise.

Ernest T Bass
01-06-2011, 09:58 PM
curriculum and rap are not the same thing. One book is read in literature, rap isn't. At least the kind with N-bombs. I disagree with this stuff, but those of you who think this is PC should check history, removing books and editing them from libraries and curriculum goes back for MANY years, decades even. Stupid

Indeed, but it was usually for different reasons. See Harry Potter for the reasoning behind most book bannings/burnings.

DDBooger
01-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Indeed, but it was usually for different reasons. See Harry Potter for the reasoning behind most book bannings/burnings. Never the less, social engineering based on limiting world views. I think both are absurd.

Ernest T Bass
01-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Never the less, social engineering based on limiting world views. I think both are absurd.

Agreed.:cool:

poisoned10
01-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by Tejastrue
Good point ETB. That's the hypocrisy of it all. :mad: :doh:

Don't you mean "hip-hopcrisy"?

Tejastrue
01-06-2011, 10:24 PM

It's been a slow methodical process. Just because this sort of thing started years ago does not de-classify it as being PC. It's just more rampant today. The sad thing is what's considered acceptable. You mentioned curriculum and rap, yes they are separate, but a spade is still called a spade, no matter what hand is played.

DDBooger
01-06-2011, 10:27 PM
It's been a slow methodical process. Just because this sort of thing started years ago does not de-classify it as being PC. It's just more rampant today. The sad thing is what's considered acceptable. You mentioned curriculum and rap, yes they are separate, but a spade is still called a spade, no matter what hand is played. Hardly, it was MUCH WORSE in the 50s and 60s when things were viewed as pervasive or not quite "American" and no, they aren't the same, no matter how many cliche's you throw out. Rap is entertainment, literature is knowledge.

bluecat
01-06-2011, 10:40 PM
Never the less, social engineering based on limiting world views. I think both are absurd.

Yes they are absurb, but unfortunately effective. We as a culture have allowed the main stream media to control basically all that we see and hear, and in many cases what we are ALLOWED to read. When the so called elites have effectively taken the reigns of most of the types of media,Newspaper, television, radio and now seeking to control the internet.So it shouldn"t surprise anyone when the call in the name of "Political Correctness", they feel that they have the right to rewrite history. Some of us gave them that right by failing to exercise our one fundamental right, the right to vote. This is not Republican vs Democrat, it's our right vs their right, and according to them, you have none. The Tea Party has started a revolt against those who want to disolve your ability to take back what was once ours, our country. If you don"t vote, you gave up your right and gave it to them, vote next time and every time, if you want a say in how we take back what is ours. JMO.

DDBooger
01-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by bluecat
Yes they are absurb, but unfortunately effective. We as a culture have allowed the main stream media to control basically all that we see and hear, and in many cases what we are ALLOWED to read. mainstream media and education are two separate things. What kids like and watch is separate from what they are taught in class. We're talking a classic, I think you're making a soapbox speech.

When the so called elites have effectively taken the reigns of most of the types of media,Newspaper, television, radio and now seeking to control the internet. This isn't clear, you've wandered into something all together different. Though, conglomerate controlled media is something to be concerned about, I wonder where you are going with this?

So it shouldn"t surprise anyone when the call in the name of "Political Correctness", they feel that they have the right to rewrite history. LOL this isn't rewriting history, it's changing the text. I think the language remaining the same is the essence of Huck Finn, it reminds us of the society that existed when this was written.

Some of us gave them that right by failing to exercise our one fundamental right, the right to vote. This is not Republican vs Democrat, it's our right vs their right, and according to them, you have none. The Tea Party has started a revolt against those who want to disolve your ability to take back what was once ours, our country. If you don"t vote, you gave up your right and gave it to them, vote next time and every time, if you want a say in how we take back what is ours. JMO. :rolleyes: Now you've just gone off the charts into political diatribes. lol

Tejastrue
01-06-2011, 11:12 PM
Hardly, it was MUCH WORSE in the 50s and 60s when things were viewed as pervasive or not quite "American" and no, they aren't the same, no matter how many cliche's you throw out. Rap is entertainment, literature is knowledge.

Don't think you had first hand experience with the 50s or 60s but I'm sure the books you've studied have been edited to give you the feel of how it really was. :D

DDBooger
01-06-2011, 11:15 PM
Don't think you had first hand experience with the 50s or 60s but I'm sure the books you've studied have been edited to give you the feel of how it really was. :D No, actually viewing the documents that make the declarations tell me this. It isn't hard to discern for people who actually do their own research lol. :cool:

Tejastrue
01-06-2011, 11:34 PM
No, actually viewing the documents that make the declarations tell me this. It isn't hard to discern for people who actually do their own research lol. :cool:

Isn't it all about interpretation, how people perceive what they believe to be true? The Constitution is a perfect example. I can see that the only thing we can agree on is that we will never agree.

It's :sleeping: time.

bobcat1
01-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by TheDOCTORdre

and Mark Twain should have known that only blacks are allowed to say that :doh: :doh: So why did the guys I played with call me that word? This was back in the early 70's. Man I hate whiners. We are all men are we not? Words don't make us, actions do. I hate whiny people no matter the race. Men need to be men.

DDBooger
01-06-2011, 11:37 PM
Isn't it all about interpretation, how people perceive what they believe to be true? The Constitution is a perfect example. I can see that the only thing we can agree on is that we will never agree.

It's :sleeping: time. If I was looking to determine intent. When you view what people write, simply stating it is not interpreting it. Language was not different enough in the middle of last century compared with language in the Constitution.

Good night.

SintonFan
01-07-2011, 12:50 AM

I agree to a certain extent. But.

What is sad, how those today(and yesterday), want to influence literature past and present for their own personal views. And yes this has happened THROUGHOUT History. That just might be why first books or their copies are more valued, not just for their physical value, but for their content(further driving up the price), too.
I severely differ in your view that today's PC is not affecting our modern and "past" literature. PC has always been here and is arrogant in it's intent.
It goes back more than decades, with the advent of the Information Age, it seems to be accelerated imho.:nerd:

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I
I severely differ in your view that today's PC is not affecting our modern and "past" literature. PC has always been here and is arrogant in it's intent.
It goes back more than decades, with the advent of the Information Age, it seems to be accelerated imho.:nerd: I didn't say that. In fact, you're blending the line of what revisionism is and what PC wants to accomplish. While those two things can overlap, they can most certainly stand mutually exclusive.

SintonFan
01-07-2011, 01:15 AM
I didn't say that. In fact, you're blending the line of what revisionism is and what PC wants to accomplish. While those two things can overlap, they can most certainly stand mutually exclusive.

I was disagreeing with you saying this isn't "PC".
Well, you said yourself that they CAN overlap, and I have drawn that conclusion myself (the title of this thread is most likely an example of both). Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

I really aint down with what PC wants to accomplish. Gotta view about that.
Can you please enlighten me on what PC wants to accomplish in your view? (just for the sake of clarification, please)

Gni Boog... gotta busy day in the morning. ;)

bluecat
01-07-2011, 02:04 AM
mainstream media and education are two separate things. What kids like and watch is separate from what they are taught in class. We're talking a classic, I think you're making a soapbox speech.
Not so much as before, you as an educator know the extent of the media and now the internet being brought into the classrooms of today.
What our children like and what they watch should be controlled by their parents not a teacher.
This isn't clear, you've wandered into something all together different. Though, conglomerate controlled media is something to be concerned about, I wonder where you are going with this?
This is as clear as a bell, conglomerated controlled media controls the content of what most people are allowed to see, read and hear, yet most either don"t know or whats worse don"t care.
LOL this isn't rewriting history, it's changing the text. I think the language remaining the same is the essence of Huck Finn, it reminds us of the society that existed when this was written.
There is a lesson to be learned in that allowing a certain segment of our population the right, to as you stated, change the text, of a classic because of PC, is a right that they don"t have. An educated mind can decide for themselves whether they want or don"t want to read something due to it"s original text.
Now you've just gone off the charts into political diatribes. lol
Just stating a fact, a certain political party just found out that they crossed the line too many times in the name of PC, and it costed them dearly. Maybe those good folks that just recently lost their jobs in the house and senate, should of paid more attention to those so called diatribes that you referred to.

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 02:43 AM
I was disagreeing with you saying this isn't "PC".
Well, you said yourself that they CAN overlap, and I have drawn that conclusion myself (the title of this thread is most likely an example of both). Doesn't mean I have to be happy about it. I can agree with that. However, the controversy surrounding the N-word extends back before PC was even a term. This may be why it overlaps.

I really aint down with what PC wants to accomplish. Gotta view about that.I'll live with it. I am personally not an abrasive person with regards to how I speak to people. I've only had one run in with the situation and that was calling a woman a girl and she took offense to it because she said she would never call me a boy. It was in public so I told her if she felt it was intentional she needed to learn more about me before making that conclusion. That said, I am conflicted on the punishment of people for not being PC. You don't fix the root by punishing what's exposed. In fact, you get what we have in society today. A backlash at punitive measures.

ICan you please enlighten me on what PC wants to accomplish in your view? (just for the sake of clarification, please) I think the intent is to create an atmosphere where EVERYONE feels accepted in their environment (primarily work env). In terms of corporate enforcement, I think the whole concept and purpose is subjective. Similarly, I have to ask, what exactly is it that you feel you NEED to say that you can't?

Gni Boog... gotta busy day in the morning. ;) G'night buddy

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 02:56 AM
Not so much as before, you as an educator know the extent of the media and now the internet being brought into the classrooms of today. Yes, I know that, but you bringing that up is inconsequential to people rewriting Huck Finn. I'd have to learn the motives of those seeking it. It does offend me as an academic that someone would dictate what I can and cannot read by removing it. That is worrisome. However, in this instance, is likely one publisher.

What our children like and what they watch should be controlled by their parents not a teacher. Okay, but again, your off on a tangent. That said, your very statement is an excuse used by people who seek the removal of literature from libraries and words in text.

This is as clear as a bell, conglomerated controlled media controls the content of what most people are allowed to see, read and hear, yet most either don"t know or whats worse don"t care. I don't disagree with this, but it's more pervasive than someone changing a word in a book. I think you're almost getting conspiratorial

There is a lesson to be learned in that allowing a certain segment of our population the right, to as you stated, change the text, of a classic because of PC, is a right that they don"t have. And as I stated, I agree with that. However, the dissension of its inclusion in the book has been around longer than PC has.

An educated mind can decide for themselves whether they want or don"t want to read something due to it"s original text. I agree

Just stating a fact No, you stated an opinion. If you don't know the difference you should be careful with how you display your knowledge.

a certain political party just found out that they crossed the line too many times in the name of PC, and it costed them dearly. A pattern that has continued from Reagan to Clinton to W in the 2nd term and now Obama. Houses change hands, repeatedly. Neither side liking their representation will increase the volatility of our elections and insertion of unlimited funds from outside influences will only make it harder (Citizens United ruling) as they don't represent the people, but will create a facade that suggests they do. Never the less, this is absurd that you've taken us down this route. Seems more like you felt the need to bloviate.

Maybe those good folks that just recently lost their jobs in the house and senate, should of paid more attention to those so called diatribes that you referred to. Not when they're full of empty rhetoric as exemplified by those replacing them who will do the same as their predecessors. Sad, but verifiable dilemma.

BaseballUmp
01-07-2011, 02:57 AM
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/Donea98/talktoomuch1.jpg

Haha

Z-RO
01-07-2011, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by turbostud
TIME and CHANGE are the crucial points in this discussion. This book was written at a different time and things have changed for the better. To go back and alter history is stupid. :iagree:

pancho villa
01-07-2011, 11:02 AM
What I don't like is some limp wristed liberal deciding for me what I or my kids can or can't read. We are becoming communists and the old communists are becoming capitalists! Thanks democrats.

Txbroadcaster
01-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
What I don't like is some limp wristed liberal deciding for me what I or my kids can or can't read. We are becoming communists and the old communists are becoming capitalists! Thanks democrats.

is that any different from some religous zealot trying to decide what others should read?

Ernest T Bass
01-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff26/Donea98/talktoomuch1.jpg

Haha

Loving DD's rheotoric, but this was damned funny!

pancho villa
01-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
is that any different from some religous zealot trying to decide what others should read?

No they hack me off too!

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2011, 11:13 AM
meh...I don't have an issue with an altered version coming out so long as it's not passed off as "authentic".

As a kid, I read a lot of books from a series that I think was called "Great American Classics" or something along those lines, and I enjoyed them a lot. I didn't know at the time that they were abridged versions, and honestly, most kids aren't going to care or know the difference.

If there's a new version of the Bible every year or so, what's the problem with a new version of Mark Twain?

Bullaholic
01-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
If there's a new version of the Bible every year or so, what's the problem with a new version of Mark Twain?

The difference is-- all the other versions of the Bible are still available.

Another "much ado about nothing" issue which is only cared about passionately by racial militants on both sides.

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2011, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
The difference is-- all the other versions of the Bible are still available.

Another "much ado about nothing" issue which is only cared about passionately by racial militants on both sides.

and you could still buy the original versions of Huckleberry Finn if you wanted. I don't know of many people who go seek for traditional literature at Walmart anyway.

Tejastrue
01-07-2011, 11:36 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just write everything, say everything, preach everything, and do everything so nobody in this whole world would ever be offended. Can you imagine?

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm272/AStek69/robots.gif

Bullaholic
01-07-2011, 11:51 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if we could just write everything, say everything, preach everything, and do everything so nobody in this whole world would ever be offended. Can you imagine?

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm272/AStek69/robots.gif

If we could let 5-7yo children make the rules, Tejas, perhaps it could be so....

slpybear the bullfan
01-07-2011, 01:17 PM

I agree that it is a long used practice.

And I think it is a wrong one.

There are so many other classic books that can be used in a literature class, there is no need to edit this one to use it.

When you see offensive things from the past, it is a useful reminder of where we have traveled from and a reminder of where we need to go.

Leave it alone, unvarnished, and either choose to read it or not.

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by pancho villa
What I don't like is some limp wristed liberal deciding for me what I or my kids can or can't read. We are becoming communists and the old communists are becoming capitalists! Thanks democrats. Wow, the middle of last century was awfully communist then and those accused of being communist were very capitalistic. haha So silly, your using forms of economy when you mean to use form of government. Authoritarian is the right word. And since this isn't being forced by the govt, even funnier. :D

DDBooger
01-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
I agree that it is a long used practice.

And I think it is a wrong one.

There are so many other classic books that can be used in a literature class, there is no need to edit this one to use it.

When you see offensive things from the past, it is a useful reminder of where we have traveled from and a reminder of where we need to go.

Leave it alone, unvarnished, and either choose to read it or not. +1 Lots of wonderful books with colorful language. Many people tried removing these books for the negative portrayal of the society it displayed. Glad they didn't. We'd live in denial like the Japanese who know little or are taught nothing about the imperial era.

carter08
01-07-2011, 01:50 PM
Buh.

I think the problem here is we have such a division between "literary" literature and "popular" literature. Huck Finn fits into the "literary" category, but because it is read in schools, it is expected to follow the rules of "popular" fiction.

I can't even start to tell you how many of the stories I've read in class, from both other students and from published authors, have had language that was much worse than what we see in Huck Finn. The problem is, those stories aren't meant to be "popular" fiction. So it's totally cool to cuss and use some N words and everything.

Huck Finn has some offensive language. It is literary fiction. It is not popular fiction. If people have a problem with that, don't change the book. Change what you let your kids read. Water down the reading list and pick non-offensive bestsellers. Let's see what direction that pushes our country.

On a side note- as a writer, the idea of someone being able to edit one of my books post-printing without my permission sickens me. If Mark Twain has a ghost, I hope it haunts everyone who took part in this.

PPHSfan
01-07-2011, 03:03 PM
I remember taking turns reading Huck Finn aloud in grammar school. It seems weird to me now, but I don't remember if I or any of the black kids in my class were bothered by the language. I seem to recall the teacher explaining to us that the book was written to portray the way things were for the timeline of the story. I also don't recall anyone asking Alex Haley to change the language when he wrote "Roots".

Farmersfan
01-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by carter08
Buh.

I think the problem here is we have such a division between "literary" literature and "popular" literature. Huck Finn fits into the "literary" category, but because it is read in schools, it is expected to follow the rules of "popular" fiction.

I can't even start to tell you how many of the stories I've read in class, from both other students and from published authors, have had language that was much worse than what we see in Huck Finn. The problem is, those stories aren't meant to be "popular" fiction. So it's totally cool to cuss and use some N words and everything.

Huck Finn has some offensive language. It is literary fiction. It is not popular fiction. If people have a problem with that, don't change the book. Change what you let your kids read. Water down the reading list and pick non-offensive bestsellers. Let's see what direction that pushes our country.

On a side note- as a writer, the idea of someone being able to edit one of my books post-printing without my permission sickens me. If Mark Twain has a ghost, I hope it haunts everyone who took part in this.

This brings up a great question. Someone has to own the rights to this book. Unless I'm completely off center a person or company can't simply decide to CHANGE the book and reprint it. A book like Huck Finn probably earns someone a butt-load of money in royalties everytime it is printed. Seems like they would need some type of copyright permission from the owner.

carter08
01-07-2011, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
This brings up a great question. Someone has to own the rights to this book. Unless I'm completely off center a person or company can't simply decide to CHANGE the book and reprint it. A book like Huck Finn probably earns someone a butt-load of money in royalties everytime it is printed. Seems like they would need some type of copyright permission from the owner.

Book is old enough that it is public domain now. So, you can do whatever you want to it. It's kind of the same concept as those books that combine Jane Austen and zombies. Those terrible, terrible books.

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan

Copyright laws were changed near the end of last century to become more strict, but pretty much anything before 1950ish is probably fair game now. It's been a while since my media law class in college, but if I remember correctly, copyrights used to be good for only 40 years or a few years after the death of the original owner.

slpybear the bullfan
01-07-2011, 05:45 PM
It's kind of the same concept as those books that combine Jane Austen and zombies. Those terrible, terrible books.

I smell guilty pleasure...

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2011, 10:34 PM
kind of a random thought, but thought it might add some discussion to this topic...what's this board's official policy on the word?

Is it absolutely off limits, or is it on a contextual basis? What if someone were to quote a section of Huckleberry Finn on this board?

PPHSfan
01-08-2011, 07:46 AM
kind of a random thought, but thought it might add some discussion to this topic...what's this board's official policy on the word?

Is it absolutely off limits, or is it on a contextual basis? What if someone were to quote a section of Huckleberry Finn on this board?

Are you kidding me? I got in trouble once for talking about a place to buy a sofa. It doesn't matter if you are cunning linguist, you will get caught. But I will try to find a way. fo' shizzle my nizzle.

carter08
01-08-2011, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
I smell guilty pleasure...

I smell incorrectness in the air, and the smell is repugnant.

crzyjournalist03
01-08-2011, 01:31 PM
I smell incorrectness in the air, and the smell is repugnant.

repugnant? That sounds like a word they'd use to describe zombies in a Jane Austen novel...

carter08
01-08-2011, 02:41 PM
repugnant? That sounds like a word they'd use to describe zombies in a Jane Austen novel...

No, that word would be "putrid".

Wait, I mean...I don't know what that word is.

Txbroadcaster
01-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Book is old enough that it is public domain now. So, you can do whatever you want to it. It's kind of the same concept as those books that combine Jane Austen and zombies. Those terrible, terrible books.

actually the zombie one was pretty funny..very good tongue in cheek humor

now the Lincoln Vampire hunter one, not so much

lulu
01-08-2011, 03:28 PM
A lot of intelligent talk but
IMHO they need to leave it the heck alone.

I'm not insulted at being referred to as Injun. I am a member of the Choctaw tribe and my friends call me Squaw. Does not bother me in the least. I'm proud to be a part of that minority.

Ranger Mom
01-08-2011, 03:35 PM

It is absolutely off limits. I remember using it one time before I was a mod. I quoted what someone had said and used the word just like they did.....we were both asked by the mods that were here at the time to edit it.

Maybe it's because I am white, but I think it's ridiculous that a simple word can cause so much uproar....whatever happened to sticks and stones??

Originally posted by lulu
A lot of intelligent talk but
IMHO they need to leave it the heck alone.

I'm not insulted at being referred to as Injun. I am a member of the Choctaw tribe and my friends call me Squaw. Does not bother me in the least. I'm proud to be a part of that minority.

Oh yeah....I also heard, in that same piece I think, that "injun" would be changed to "Native American!"

I once worked in a hospital and was the only white person on my team, our supervisor was black...he along with the other black and mexican people called me "honky"....we were all friends and I was never offended by it. Heck...that's one of the nicer things I have been called!!:D

DDBooger
01-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom

I once worked in a hospital and was the only white person on my team, our supervisor was black...he along with the other black and mexican people called me "honky"....we were all friends and I was never offended by it. Heck...that's one of the nicer things I have been called!!:D You bring up an interesting social dynamic. When we compare our social groups (work, family, friends) to society, we are often making the mistake of equating intensity of relationships. My friends also crack mexican jokes and racial epithets on me, however, I view them each as a brother and vice versa. Applied to a complete stranger and I'd likely be swinging if someone said the same lol.

PPHSfan
01-08-2011, 04:06 PM
I've been called lots of things, but my favorite is "Cracker American".

Phil C
01-20-2011, 12:04 AM
I remember my oldest son and I were at the Sinton Library a few years ago when he was about 8 and he saw the book. He looked at it and one narrative at the beginning of the book as a gag by Mark Twain was on the back cover which said "Persons attempting to fina a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persos attempting to find a moral will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot will be shot."

When my son read that he took it seriously in his young mind and said "Man, I'm not going to read this book."

:D