PDA

View Full Version : Andrew Luck decides to stay at Stanford

SHSBulldog00
01-06-2011, 02:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Emerson1
01-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't blame him. There may not be NFL next season, gonna get a degree from Stanford and he isn't struggling to make ends meet.

marler1972
01-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Why would anyone come out? They will be left high and dry if the NFL locks out the players.....

Maroon87
01-06-2011, 03:13 PM
That kid is gonna make a ton of money whether he plays pro football or not. Why risk sitting around for a year when you could be honing your craft? Good choice IMO...

LoboesWT
01-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Great decision, its good he has the ability and means to stay in school with no outside pressure to start earning money now. Not all college athletes have that when they are good enough to go pro. I hope it works out for him. Wheter he plays pro ball or not he will be just fine IMO.

Phil C
01-06-2011, 03:48 PM
It could be a co$tly mistake.

marler1972
01-06-2011, 04:00 PM
I dont look to see any NFL next year so if that happens it is very smart.

PPHSfan
01-06-2011, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by marler1972
Why would anyone come out? They will be left high and dry if the NFL locks out the players.....

Because the first thing that's going south after the CBA is rookie money. He comes out this year he gets 55 million. He comes out next year he gets 15 if he's lucky. Do the math. He can always go back to school. His daddy can pay his tuition. But his daddy can't write him a check for the forty million he's fixing to piss away.

BaseballUmp
01-06-2011, 08:42 PM
He goes to Stanford and he's working on an Architecture/Engineering Degree...don't think this kid will have any problems if there is no more NFL

turbostud
01-06-2011, 08:46 PM
The next Matt Leinart.

eagles_victory
01-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
He goes to Stanford and he's working on an Architecture/Engineering Degree...don't think this kid will have any problems if there is no more NFL He isn't going to be making NFL kind of money with that degree. I don't know that many engineers that get around 60 million dollars like he will if he goes pro.

BaseballUmp
01-06-2011, 09:19 PM
Yea I know, but I mean you don't need to make 60 million dollars to be happy in life

Tejastrue
01-06-2011, 09:22 PM
Agree. Sometimes, it's just not all about the money. Enjoy the college life while you can Andrew. You'll appreciate it more later on.

eagles_victory
01-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Yea I know, but I mean you don't need to make 60 million dollars to be happy in life If you had your rathers playing in the NFL is probably higher on the list than being an engineer.

MustangFootball
01-06-2011, 10:48 PM
i agree andrew luck is gonna miss out on around 40 million dollars by entering the nfl draft next year, but that won't last long whatever team is lucky enough to get him will end up giving him a multi-million deal before his first contract runs out. this kid is the real deal, he's no matt lienert, jimmy clausen or mark sanchez. so staying in college was a wise move the nfl will always be there, college ball won't.

LH_Tuff
01-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by turbostud
The next Matt Leinart.

Not likely. This guy is actually smart.

MoveInDad
01-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Nice to see that the consensus on the board seems to be that Andrew made the right decision to follow his plan to finish his degree and honor his commitment to his teammates and the institution.
Sadly, he's mostly getting hammered on the ESPN thread, about 5,000 comments, for not taking the cash now... a lot of it makes for a very poor reading of our current society.
The lock-out, the Panthers, the Harbaugh question, none of that really figured...he just wants to live the life he's enjoying right now and keep following his plan.

A month or so ago, we were talking about the greatest HS players we had ever seen, and I talked about watching Andrew play 6 or 7 games, and how I knew I was seeing something very special... his decision yesterday, amidst all the hype the media created around him, further exemplifies that.

For some reason it reminds me of the scene in Jerry Maguire, when they're in the tunnel after the game and Tidwell is in the media scrum and he calls out for Jerry... it then cuts to the other agent, Bob Sugar and his player/client and its like where's the love baby.

Anyway, can you see the impact this will/ could have on Stanford recruiting? When one of their players forgoes being the #1 pick in the big show because he 'loves' his teammates and honors his school and the coveted degree from Stanford, it says very plainly 'You're gonna like it here, if you're smart enough to get here".

Txbroadcaster
01-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by MoveInDad
a lot of it makes for a very poor reading of our current society.

Why? I dont understand why it is a poor reading of our society for people to say he should go pro and take the money

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2011, 11:16 AM
Nice to see that the consensus on the board seems to be that Andrew made the right decision to follow his plan to finish his degree and honor his commitment to his teammates and the institution.
Sadly, he's mostly getting hammered on the ESPN thread, about 5,000 comments, for not taking the cash now... a lot of it makes for a very poor reading of our current society.
The lock-out, the Panthers, the Harbaugh question, none of that really figured...he just wants to live the life he's enjoying right now and keep following his plan.

A month or so ago, we were talking about the greatest HS players we had ever seen, and I talked about watching Andrew play 6 or 7 games, and how I knew I was seeing something very special... his decision yesterday, amidst all the hype the media created around him, further exemplifies that.

For some reason it reminds me of the scene in Jerry Maguire, when they're in the tunnel after the game and Tidwell is in the media scrum and he calls out for Jerry... it then cuts to the other agent, Bob Sugar and his player/client and its like where's the love baby.

Anyway, can you see the impact this will/ could have on Stanford recruiting? When one of their players forgoes being the #1 pick in the big show because he 'loves' his teammates and honors his school and the coveted degree from Stanford, it says very plainly 'You're gonna like it here, if you're smart enough to get here".

What's the purpose of a degree? You want to set yourself up for a better future and career right? Otherwise, your high school diploma would suffice.

So if someone comes along and offers you more money up front to pause your education than you'd ever make with whatever degree you're pursuing, wouldn't it be silly NOT to take the money, especially when they're offering to pay you to do something you love?

MoveInDad
01-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Why? I dont understand why it is a poor reading of our society for people to say he should go pro and take the money
For people to say they know whats best for somebody, who they have no idea who they really are... it's Andrew's life, he has obviously been making good decisions to this point, who the hell are these that think they know what quality of life means to Andrew Luck?
To most people, its only about money, and that is the sad part.

crzyjournalist03
01-07-2011, 11:31 AM
For people to say they know whats best for somebody, who they have no idea who they really are... it's Andrew's life, he has obviously been making good decisions to this point, who the hell are these that think they know what quality of life means to Andrew Luck?
To most people, its only about money, and that is the sad part.

With that money, he would be able to take care of himself, his family, and his future family members. It's about providing for those that you love. And that takes money.

MoveInDad
01-07-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
What's the purpose of a degree? You want to set yourself up for a better future and career right? Otherwise, your high school diploma would suffice.

So if someone comes along and offers you more money up front to pause your education than you'd ever make with whatever degree you're pursuing, wouldn't it be silly NOT to take the money, especially when they're offering to pay you to do something you love?
See above, its obviously not about the money then is it? As far as doing something he loves, he's going to be doing that at Stanford next year with a group of guys that he's become very close with... NFL egos are probably not very attractive to a humble character like Andrew.

MoveInDad
01-07-2011, 11:37 AM
With that money, he would be able to take care of himself, his family, and his future family members. It's about providing for those that you love. And that takes money. If his family were in a position that they needed Andrew to take care of them, I'm sure his decision would have been different... his family aren't wealthy but they do very well, so this wasn't a consideration... also, the money ain't going away, it'll be there when he graduates. OK, if he gets decapitated and cant play, he wont make the multi-millions, howeer there will insurance for that scenario that will make most pay packages look puny in comparison... including mine :doh:

MoveInDad
01-07-2011, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Also, it wasn't just that... there are hundreds of comments calling him a moron etc and hoping he gets injured, has a bad year, and generally wishing a young man who decides to stay in school and get his degree ill will.

It's a pathetic reading of a section of our society.

OldBison75
01-07-2011, 11:48 AM
I applaud Luck for honoring his commitment to Stanford when he was recruited. I respect his decision to finish his degree and think that will serve him better for the rest of his life. I also understand that he is risking the possible high dollars that signing with an NFL team can bring him. I doubt very seriously that the NFL will not play next year---there is far too much invested by the team owners to lockout for long. And, the NFLPA will get a deal worked out that benefits the players in some way. We may see a much different system next year, but it will still be very lucrative for a top draft pick--you can bet on that.

Tin Cup
01-07-2011, 11:50 AM
Has anyone on this board ever taken a job for more money that turned out to be a bad decision? You didn't like new co-workers, you didn't like the new city?

It's easy for money-driven people to say take money take money. To me it's quite simple. He a standup kid with a bright future. He will excel at anything he decides to do. Maybe he wants a Heisman, maybe be enjoys Stanford, maybe he wants to enjoy being a kid.

I like that he's staying. I thunk all sports have lost a lot due to how much athletes make. Sports have become too much about the money and not enough about love of the game.

MoveInDad
01-07-2011, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by OldBison75
I applaud Luck for honoring his commitment to Stanford when he was recruited. I respect his decision to finish his degree and think that will serve him better for the rest of his life. I also understand that he is risking the possible high dollars that signing with an NFL team can bring him. I doubt very seriously that the NFL will not play next year---there is far too much invested by the team owners to lockout for long. And, the NFLPA will get a deal worked out that benefits the players in some way. We may see a much different system next year, but it will still be very lucrative for a top draft pick--you can bet on that.
Agreed, but the lock-out had no bearing on his decision. He'll earn whatever a top draft pick is allowed under whatever new rookie cap may be in place when he comes out... I'm sure it won't be chicken feed.

Txbroadcaster
01-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Tin Cup
I like that he's staying. I thunk all sports have lost a lot due to how much athletes make.

What about what the Owners make? They make FAR more than any one player

Blastoderm55
01-07-2011, 12:25 PM
With that money, he would be able to take care of himself, his family, and his future family members. It's about providing for those that you love. And that takes money.

I doubt the Luck family is pressed for cash. He should take his time and do what's best for him and no one else.

eagles_victory
01-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Looking at Leinart, Locker, and honestly Bradford to (had Locker come out he would of went 1 overall) I just don't think it is a smart decision with the Rookie pay scale coming into play he will lose out on about 40 million dollars and Stanford won't be as good next year I predict even if he comes back they lose about 3 games.

WildTexan972
01-07-2011, 04:59 PM
He goes to Stanford and he's working on an Architecture/Engineering Degree...don't think this kid will have any problems if there is no more NFL

surely there are not people thinking a first year Arch/Eng graduate can make as much as a 1st round NFL QB signing bonus would be.....surely

the NFL is a limited timeframe opportunity that FEW souls on this earth get a chance to cash in on, and to think being an architect from Stanford is similar is just pure folly....the smart ones from the NFL save and invest instead of buying gold chains and Bentleys.....

he would get an 8 figure cash bonus after the draft - no degree from Stanford will pay that to ANY graduate....this type thinkin is in that realm of Forest Gump's momma and the stupid is as stupid does range.....