PDA

View Full Version : "Don't hang your receivers out to dry"

Additup
01-05-2011, 09:10 PM
"Don't hang your receivers out to dry"
QBs used to get the blame for causing those defenseless player hits.

Now offenses try to convert 3rd and 18 with a dig route across the middle and we blame the defender and reward the offense with a personal foul 1st down.

If the NFL is gonna fine the defender, then the QB and the play caller probably need to pony up some cash, too...at least until the NFL uses the play to sell its NFL CRUNCH COURSE video.

Listening to the parrots on TV and Just needed to state my $0.02

Ernest T Bass
01-05-2011, 09:49 PM
Hanging a WR out isn't just throwing a drag route. It's throwing a dig/drag or really any route in such a way that the WR is defenseless( usually high while the WR is in traffic). As long as the pass is catchable and the hit isn't helmet to helmet, I dont think it's a penalty(could be wrong. Not real up to date on my NFL rules).

XtremeCouture
01-05-2011, 09:53 PM
based on watching the games, i don't think you're allowed to hit the receiver unless he sees you. it's retarded.

Additup
01-05-2011, 10:33 PM
Helmet to helmet hits occur multiple times on every play - only QBs and defenseless receivers set up by QBS get the benefit of the penalty. If a RB lowers his helmet and runs over a cover corner, he aint getting penalized or fined by the NFL for initiating helmet to helmet contact.

Ernest T Bass
01-05-2011, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by Additup
Helmet to helmet hits occur multiple times on every play - only QBs and defenseless receivers set up by QBS get the benefit of the penalty. If a RB lowers his helmet and runs over a cover corner, he aint getting penalized or fined by the NFL for initiating helmet to helmet contact.

That's b/c offense is where the money is made. I always get irritated when I see idiots say/post the stupid arse quote about "Offense wins games, defense wins championships". That may be the most asinine thing Ive ever freakin' heard! How in the hell can one aspect be what wins games for you, but not what wins the championship?!
The correct quote is "Offense SELLS TICKETS, defense wins championships". This is why defenders get penalized and offensive players get protected in the NFL. Very few fans will pay to see games end in scores of 14-10.