PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Ron Franklin fired

lostaussie
01-05-2011, 10:14 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/communities/gameon/post/2011/01/espn-fires-ron-franklin/1

44INAROW
01-05-2011, 10:27 AM
I've only read a little about this - do you think there is more to the story?

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
I've only read a little about this - do you think there is more to the story?

he did it before..not really "more" to the story as much as you cant act like a **** to a woman

edited 44inarow

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I posted this yesterday under:

http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=110288

I'm personally growing weary of the growing female presence in football. Sorry, football is still a man's game. If females want to be a part of it, grow some thicker skin and not whine because they got their pretty feathers ruffled. I know, let's make all the announcers and reporters females. Maybe then ESPN will be happy. Can you imagine all the "female dog" slappin goin on if this happened? :foul: :evillol:

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Tejastrue

I'm personally growing weary of the growing female presence in football. Sorry, football is still a man's game. If females want to be a part of it, grow some thicker skin and not whine because they got their pretty feathers ruffled. I know, let's make all the announcers and reporters females. Maybe then ESPN will be happy. Can you imagine all the "female dog" slappin goin on if this happened? :foul: :evillol:

WOW..sorry but as a broadcaster I have a problem with what he said. Not about makle/female it is about respect for a coworker

CenTexSports
01-05-2011, 10:47 AM
I understand what you are saying but I wonder how many times the men disagree and say something negative or off color. You sure don't see guys getting fired for that.

44INAROW
01-05-2011, 10:48 AM

this should get interesting :eek:

LoboesWT
01-05-2011, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
WOW..sorry but as a broadcaster I have a problem with what he said. Not about makle/female it is about respect for a coworker

I have to agree, respecting a person has nothing to do with gender. Sidenote, who cares if you are female or male reporting in sports. If you are good is all that should matter.

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 10:57 AM

I had not read what you said before posting my comments. It was not a response to you. I understand where you are coming from. IMO, this was not enough to justify losing your job completely, as unprofessional as it may seem, and this is just one example over the years, of "things being said", blown way out of proportion, affecting so many careers.

RoyceTTU
01-05-2011, 10:59 AM
IMO, this was not enough to justify losing your job completely, as unprofessional as it may seem, and this is just one example over the years, of "things being said", blown way out of proportion, affecting so many careers.

This is a repeat offense for this guy. He didn't learn the first time.

RoyceTTU
01-05-2011, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by RoyceTTU
This is a repeat offense for this guy. He didn't learn the first time.

"Franklin, a veteran ESPN announcer, reportedly addressed another sideline reporter, Holly Rowe, as "sweetheart" during a 2005 broadcast. He later apologized to Rowe."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/03/AR2011010304817.html

Bullaholic
01-05-2011, 11:10 AM
he did it before..not really "more" to the story as much as you cant act like a **** to a woman

(Pssst-TXB---that's ARSE, man. You're gonna get on RM's bad list cause' someone will tattle---nana-nahna, boo-boo....) :D

edited TXB's 44inarow

nobogey72
01-05-2011, 11:20 AM
I've read all these comments and have come to the conclusion that what I've thought all along is true----- The only thing worse than a male cheauvenist (sp?) is A WOMAN THAT WON'T DO LIKE SHE'S TOLD!!!!!!

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 11:21 AM
"Franklin, a veteran ESPN announcer, reportedly addressed another sideline reporter, Holly Rowe, as "sweetheart" during a 2005 broadcast. He later apologized to Rowe."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/03/AR2011010304817.html

Sweetheart? Man, that was just criminal. :doh: Be careful not to open a door for a lady or compliment how she looks, especially if she's a co-worker. Your career is at stake.

RoyceTTU
01-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Sweetheart? Man, that was just criminal. :doh: Be careful not to open a door for a lady or compliment how she looks, especially if she's a co-worker. Your career is at stake.

You joke about this, but it's true and yes I am extremely careful how I talk to my female co-workers. All it takes is someone to get upset over something small and can be turned into something huge.

I think what he said wasn't too bad but the simple fact he was warned once and did it again against the wishes of ESPN executives, well thats cause for termination. ESPN execs did everything proper, acknowledged he made a mistake in 2005, gave him a warning and 2nd chance. You can't say he didn't know the rules.

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2011, 11:28 AM
First off..it is not just that he said sweetheart, but he said it ON THE AIR in the first incident..that immediatly took her down several notches as far as her credibility.

The 2nd incident he made his comment, she responded and he calls her an arsehole..And she did not even report it ANOTHER worker did

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 12:16 PM
First off..it is not just that he said sweetheart, but he said it ON THE AIR in the first incident..that immediatly took her down several notches as far as her credibility.

The 2nd incident he made his comment, she responded and he calls her an arsehole..And she did not even report it ANOTHER worker did

Things are said every day that could be considered offensive to just about anyone. All it takes is one person. For example, your comment:

"he did it before..not really "more" to the story as much as you cant act like a **** to a woman".

This had to be edited in order to appease the sensitive. Did you care about that as you posted it? I think not. Just a point TXB. We've become way too "politically correct" with the "walking on eggshells" mentality today. You don't have to agree with me nor I with you. Just my opinion. :thinking:

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Things are said every day that could be considered offensive to just about anyone. All it takes is one person. For example, your comment:

"he did it before..not really "more" to the story as much as you cant act like a **** to a woman".

This had to be edited in order to appease the sensitive. Did you care about that as you posted it? I think not. Just a point TXB. We've become way too "politically correct" with the "walking on eggshells" mentality today. You don't have to agree with me nor I with you. Just my opinion. :thinking:

difference is..I am not paid by the 3ADL nor do I represent them...I agree we have become to PC, but to belittle someone on the air as he did in 05 and THEN not only belittle someone but also then calle them arsehole when they defend themself IMO is taking it to far

and I also disagree with your original belief that football is a "man sport"..why? because back in the old days only men played it, coached and covered it? then I guess Major League Baseball should only be a White Man's sport since that was how it was back in the good ole days

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 01:21 PM
difference is..I am not paid by the 3ADL nor do I represent them...I agree we have become to PC, but to belittle someone on the air as he did in 05 and THEN not only belittle someone but also then calle them arsehole when they defend themself IMO is taking it to far

and I also disagree with your original belief that football is a "man sport"..why? because back in the old days only men played it, coached and covered it? then I guess Major League Baseball should only be a White Man's sport since that was how it was back in the good ole days

We still have to follow their rules and codes of conduct, otherwise you lose your privileges, right? Yes, not the same, but not that different.

We can keep this going as long as you want. You are stubborn, as seen whenever you post. If you don't agree that football is a man's sport then maybe you should stick to covering soccer. I did not say keep women out. I said that football is a man's world and if they are going to be a part of it, they will need to deal with slips of the tongue from "old school" or "chauvinistic males". I believe if she would have responded in a manner that put him in his place, this story would never been released. They need to be tough. I think men of this nature would respect them more. Instead, we have a story of someone losing their job and the OMG people have already roped and hung the man.
We are so ready to judge, not knowing who they really are.

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2011, 01:28 PM
We still have to follow their rules and codes of conduct, otherwise you lose your privileges, right? Yes, not the same, but not that different.

We can keep this going as long as you want. You are stubborn, as seen whenever you post. If you don't agree that football is a man's sport then maybe you should stick to covering soccer. I did not say keep women out. I said that football is a man's world and if they are going to be a part of it, they will need to deal with slips of the tongue from "old school" or "chauvinistic males". I believe if she would have responded in a manner that put him in his place, this story would never been released. They need to be tough. I think men of this nature would respect them more. Instead, we have a story of someone losing their job and the OMG people have already roped and hung the man.
We are so ready to judge, not knowing who they really are.

SHE DID RESPOND..HE then called her an arsehole..and SHE did not even take it to her bosses another employee did.

but basically what ur saying is women must accept and learn to take the "old school" way...so again..I guess minorities should just take it if they are called racisit names because that way they will be respected

and ur damn right I am stubborn when I believe something, arent you and everyone else?

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 02:19 PM
SHE DID RESPOND..HE then called her an arsehole..and SHE did not even take it to her bosses another employee did.

but basically what ur saying is women must accept and learn to take the "old school" way...so again..I guess minorities should just take it if they are called racisit names because that way they will be respected

and ur damn right I am stubborn when I believe something, arent you and everyone else?

Your comment:
basically what ur saying is women must accept and learn to take the "old school" way...

No, what I said was that they should be prepared to react in a manner to shut this sort of thing down if indeed it should happen. Make it clear that it is not acceptable. It's about showing strength in "a Man's world" otherwise let's just lead all the males out of the workplace and down the road to be neutered because somewhere, somehow, it's going to happen again. Does that make it right? Of course not.

I know the lady in question responded but were you there? What exactly was said? Please tell me the "whole" conversation. Please drop the stones from your hands and be a little more open minded.

Quit trying to make this more than what I've stated with the minority thing.

trojandad
01-05-2011, 02:26 PM

maybe they are saying that, broadcaster, but i don't think that's the underlying frustration....the point i feel thats lying below everything is the place our society arbitrarily picks for destroying someone to the point of living under an overpass.....i was called a cracker by a black stock boy under his breath at a store a few weeks back, i was frustrated but by no means did i want his job, i just walked up to him and expressed how upset he would be if i used the "n" word in return, and he went on his way....

today's world has this jugular mentality created by so many minority groups that "if we don't cease them from existing for their crimes we're not doing our job"....we need to, if we're gonna continue to exist, find a way to pull the reigns back and allow people to make mistakes, not be rewarded for them, maybe even get punished, but to find a way back....we've done it in a few ways, i.e. marv albert, but i think back to jimmy the greek's life, good lord what a waste just for a drunken interview, the man was no more a racist than any of us, he supported 6 black families at the time of his fall, so when he lost his income it wasn't just him that lost, but NOBODY reports that, only that he was a racist.....

franklin may be an undercover jerk (i.e. albert) and may deserve firing for 100 reasons i don't know, but if one has to go back to 2005 to find a goof on his part, lord help me if i ever wanted to be a broadcaster.....you wouldnt have to go back to 2005 to find an objectionable statement from me.....:D

LIONS#1
01-05-2011, 03:05 PM
I don't like Espn anyway!!! They are anti-Texas Teams for the most part...as far as women announcers go they should always bring coffee and fetch beerz for their male counter-parts:D

JUST SAYIN!!!:nerd:

eagles_victory
01-05-2011, 03:07 PM
Should of fired him a long time ago for not knowing the difference between a snap and a pass it got real annoying on every field goal... good pass good hold good kick.

Saggy Aggie
01-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by LIONS#1
I don't like Espn anyway!!! They are anti-Texas Teams for the most part... ESPN has a hard on for Dallas. :hand:

lostaussie
01-05-2011, 03:21 PM
I personally know Ron Franklin and he by all counts is a good, decent person. Maybe the chick miffed him...............maybe she should have minded her own buisness...............maybe he should have bit his tongue. Anyhow, IMO ESPN lost one of its best college basketball game announcers. He was a huge fan of all the Texas schools, I know that for a fact. We don't get much of that from ESPN.

trojandad
01-05-2011, 04:19 PM
i know if i were a pro athlete in today's world and a female broadcaster were walking in my locker room while i was naked, i'd bring my wife to the locker room to have a talk with her....let's watch the professional "powers that be" give the "politically correct" response to THAT confrontation.......

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by trojandad
i know if i were a pro athlete in today's world and a female broadcaster were walking in my locker room while i was naked, i'd bring my wife to the locker room to have a talk with her....let's watch the professional "powers that be" give the "politically correct" response to THAT confrontation....... Was she there to grope you or interview you?

trojandad
01-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Was she there to grope you or interview you?

when they ask my wife why the interviewer was there, she won't care, nor will she believe it's only "doing her job".....maybe you have a different type of wife.......

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 04:38 PM
when they ask my wife why the interviewer was there, she won't care, nor will she believe it's only "doing her job".....maybe you have a different type of wife....... Sounds like you and her would be the ones being unprofessional.

Bullaholic
01-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Can male broadcasters conduct interviews in female locker rooms?

pirate4state
01-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Can male broadcasters conduct interviews in female locker rooms? It's probably frowned upon.

I don't know why ANY broadcaster, male or female, needs to conduct an interview in the locker room anyway? :rolleyes:

Just wait for them to get dressed. Most of them give post game press conferences anyway.

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Can male broadcasters conduct interviews in female locker rooms? How many women sports demand that kind of intense scrutiny? If it was on the level of male sports, I'm sure we'd see it.

trojandad
01-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Sounds like you and her would be the ones being unprofessional.

"professionalism" would be the last thing on a wife's mind while another woman has the opportunity to check out his stuff.....are you even married? LOL you keep retorting on this like i expressed my opinion, i was only stating what a jealous woman would do....

DDBooger
Originally posted by pirate4state
It's probably frowned upon.

I don't know why ANY broadcaster, male or female, needs to conduct an interview in the locker room anyway? :rolleyes:

Just wait for them to get dressed. Most of them give post game press conferences anyway. I agree, but I think Professional sports want this as much as the journalists. If you don't have interest in your sport, you don't have a sport.

trojandad
It's probably frowned upon.

Just wait for them to get dressed. Most of them give post game press conferences anyway.

amen :clap:

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 04:52 PM
"professionalism" would be the last thing on a wife's mind while another woman has the opportunity to check out his stuff.....are you even married? LOL you keep retorting on this like i expressed my opinion, i was only stating what a jealous woman would do.... You are essentially drawing up your own scenarios and hypotheticals and then answering them yourself. I guess we should all cow down to jealous spouses or significant others? lol This reeks of a strawman argument. It's humorous, but pointless. They're not interviewing these guys right out of the shower. Are others getting dressed near by, perhaps, but I'm sure most try to cover up. You're bringing your relationship dynamic into a work environment.

trojandad
01-05-2011, 04:54 PM
You are essentially drawing up your own scenarios and then answering them yourself. Sort of like a strawman argument. It's humorous, but pointless. They're not interviewing these guys right out of the shower. Are others getting dressed near by, perhaps, but I'm sure most try to cover up. You're bringing your relationship dynamic into a work environment.

no sir, the work environment is on the field, the rest is silly, of that you and my better half are doomed to disagree on....but after reading your profile i understand :D

Bullaholic
01-05-2011, 04:54 PM
How many women sports demand that kind of intense scrutiny? If it was on the level of male sports, I'm sure we'd see it.

Kind of flies in the face of equal rights-equal treatment would it not, Boog?

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Kind of flies in the face of equal rights-equal treatment would it not, Boog? Please make that connection. How the media views sports and the ability for women to equally participate in sports.

trojandad
01-05-2011, 04:55 PM
Kind of flies in the face of equal rights-equal treatment would it not, Boog?

overt liberals only believe in equal right working one direction, bull....

pirate4state
01-05-2011, 04:56 PM
I agree, but I think Professional sports want this as much as the journalists. If you don't have interest in your sport, you don't have a sport. what? So because I don't watch post game interviews I'm not interested in the sport?! :confused:

What I'm interested in is the game itself, not the bull crap that follows!

:D

pirate4state
01-05-2011, 04:57 PM
overt liberals only believe in equal right working one direction, bull.... :doh: seriously?

DDBooger
no sir, the work environment is on the field, the rest is silly If that were true, the League wouldn't require the players to speak to the media. They get fined if they don't. So, no, you're wrong. Off the field matters too.

but after reading your profile i understand :D You resorting to ad hominem is telling as well ;)

Bullaholic
So much incoming on this thread---I think I'm going to get in my foxhole...:D

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 04:58 PM
overt liberals only believe in equal right working one direction, bull.... Take it easy Glenn Beck

:doh: seriously? And silly conservatives value cliches. Then again, I don't believe in generalizations, only an ignorant fool would. lol

pirate4state
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
And silly conservatives value cliches. Then again, I don't believe in generalizations, only an ignorant fool would. lol ANSWER MY QUESTION!!!! Scroll up and don't ignore me. I will sic BEAST on you. He is the keeper of all unanswered questions. :D

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 04:59 PM
what? So because I don't watch post game interviews I'm not interested in the sport?! :confused: LOL Did I say that or are you implying that I meant that? The league values the media's insertion there or they wouldn't be allowed in.

What I'm interested in is the game itself, not the bull crap that follows!
As am I, however, there is a whole industry built around what goes on on the field and OFF (ESPN and talk radio)

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 05:00 PM
ANSWER MY QUESTION!!!! Scroll up and don't ignore me. I will sic BEAST on you. He is the keeper of all unanswered questions. :D LOL I wouldn't answer out of spite.

trojandad
01-05-2011, 05:02 PM
Please make that connection. How the media views sports and the ability for women to equally participate in sports.

they aren't participating in sports, any more than the emporer wearing nothing in the "emporer's new clothes" was modeling a new wardrobe while naked, he was believing a thought from advisors that had him believing he was wearing something when he wasn't...

men interviewers belong in men's naked rooms, women interviewers belong in the women's lockers....but i understand that you've been good enough to tell in your profile that things even hinting toward things of a christian nature are adverse to your thinking, and thats fine, but that will be the reason for our differences on that, which one is right or wrong is outside of either of our choices.....:D

GrTigers6
01-05-2011, 05:05 PM
Your comment:
basically what ur saying is women must accept and learn to take the "old school" way...

No, what I said was that they should be prepared to react in a manner to shut this sort of thing down if indeed it should happen. Make it clear that it is not acceptable. It's about showing strength in "a Man's world" otherwise let's just lead all the males out of the workplace and down the road to be neutered because somewhere, somehow, it's going to happen again. Does that make it right? Of course not.

I know the lady in question responded but were you there? What exactly was said? Please tell me the "whole" conversation. Please drop the stones from your hands and be a little more open minded.
Quit trying to make this more than what I've stated with the minority thing.
That is wrong,
If something in changed in society it is done for a reason, Now wether or not we agree with it, its the law and have to abide by it. If the law states that he shouldnt talk to coworkers in that manner than he should stop. And if he doesnt he should be disiplined by the policies of the employees handbook.
You people, just because you dont agree with a ruling, law, regulation doesnt mean you dont have to mind it!
:doh:

trojandad
01-05-2011, 05:06 PM
"Laughing at silly conservatives, newfound libertarians and jesus freaks who are anything but Christian in action" isnt a generalization....? i think the worst position is to generalize and not realize it....lol

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 05:07 PM
they aren't participating in sports, any more than the emporer wearing nothing in the "emporer's new clothes" was modeling a new wardrobe while naked, he was believing a thought from advisors that had him believing he was wearing something when he wasn't... Meandering thought aside, you still didn't answer a thing. In fact, your tangential retort is odd.

men interviewers belong in men's naked rooms, women interviewers belong in the women's lockers...which is your opinion. IF the job is not gender specific, it shouldn't matter. Would some see it as taboo? Perhaps, but not everyone has those values.

but i understand that you've been good enough to tell in your profile that things even hinting toward things of a christian nature are adverse to your thinking, again with getting personal. My gosh, you really have a problem expressing yourself intelligently without resorting to argumentum ad hominem, dont you? lol NO, I don't believe in fairy tales, so what. It is inconsequential to this conversation, but clearly a matter of contention for you. I didn't ask if you were Christian, did I?

but that will be the reason for our differences on that, which one is right or wrong is outside of either of our choices.....:D I don't think about it that way. To me your religion is separate from the conversation. You chose to connect it.

hookandladder
01-05-2011, 05:07 PM

I agree 100 % with you on everything you have said about this issue, It is getting crazy these days on what you can say. Ron should have told them to stick it where the sun don't shine, he does not need this crap.

JJWalker
01-05-2011, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by GrTigers6
That is wrong,
If something in changed in society it is done for a reason, Now wether or not we agree with it, its the law and have to abide by it. If the law states that he shouldnt talk to coworkers in that manner than he should stop. And if he doesnt he should be disiplined by the policies of the employees handbook.
You people, just because you dont agree with a ruling, law, regulation doesnt mean you dont have to mind it!
What do you mean ... "You people"?

Nice speech up to that point ... Sweet Heart!

Please leave the forum discussions to the men.

pirate4state
LOL Did I say that or are you implying that I meant that? The league values the media's insertion there or they wouldn't be allowed in. Whichever one you believe to be most true.

As am I, however, there is a whole industry built around what goes on on the field and OFF (ESPN and talk radio)

stupid is, as stupid does

DDBooger
"Laughing at silly conservatives, newfound libertarians and jesus freaks who are anything but Christian in action" isnt a generalization....? i think the worst position is to generalize and not realize it....lol I'm not making a statement that they are all____ and saying it is because they are _____. See the difference. As a matter of fact, I point out WHO exactly it is I am speaking about with regards to religion. Even so, you still felt the need to attack me personally by finding out who I was. lol This is inconsequential to the topic.

trojandad
Originally posted by hookandladder
I agree 100 % with you on everything you have said about this issue, It is getting crazy these days on what you can say. Ron should have told them to stick it where the sun don't shine, he does not need this crap.

i agree, how can he survived 25 yrs with espn (and as far back as with ch 11 in houston years before that) with a history of doing that? sounds like he just lost it at one point or two when compared to a miniscule amount of time on air, he just did it in a politically incorrect manner....i wouldnt have wanted him talking to my daughter that way but there is life after mistakes, for sure...

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 05:13 PM
Whichever one you believe to be most true. So, you don't know which you meant?

stupid is, as stupid does Alright, movie cliches. :)

trojandad
01-05-2011, 05:14 PM
I'm not making a statement that they are all____ and saying it is because they are _____. See the difference. As a matter of fact, I point out WHO exactly it is I am speaking about with regards to religion. Even so, you still felt the need to attack me personally by finding out who I was. lol This is inconsequential to the topic.

i understand its inconsequential to you.....thank goodness neither you or me are the judge of what is really consequential.....

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by JJWalker

Please leave the forum discussions to the men. lol

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 05:15 PM
i understand its inconsequential to you.....thank goodness neither you or me are the judge of what is really consequential..... Zeus is :devil:

;)

pirate4state
01-05-2011, 05:16 PM
So, you don't know which you meant?

Alright, movie cliches. :)

I always know what I mean. This is just a way to continue this silly discussion until 5:00.

Do you know what I mean?

GrTigers6
01-05-2011, 05:16 PM

Please leave the forum discussions to the men.
I mean by you people, the ones who are saying that she should get over it and go on.

And for your information I am a MAN :mad: :mad:

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 05:17 PM
I always know what I mean. This is just a way to continue this silly discussion until 5:00.

Do you know what I mean? :devil: yup!

;)

pirate4state
01-05-2011, 05:18 PM
I mean by you people, the ones who are saying that she should get over it and go on.

And for your information I am a MAN :mad: :mad: LOL

JJWalker
01-05-2011, 05:20 PM

And for your information I am a MAN :mad: :mad:
ROFLMAO ... and at least part fish ... :p

GrTigers6
01-05-2011, 05:22 PM
ROFLMAO ... and at least part fish ... :p WHat the heck does that mean?:vrycnfsd:

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 05:22 PM
That is wrong,

Again, does anyone know exactly what was said. Was it enough to justify the consequences? I say no. We are becoming a society of "the offended". People, far too many times, turn things into a "witchhunt".

GrTigers6
01-05-2011, 05:23 PM
Again, does anyone know exactly what was said. Was it enough to justify the consequences? I say no. We are becoming a society of "the offended". People, far too many times, turn things into a "witchhunt". HE called her an ***hole
enough said

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 05:24 PM
Again, does anyone know exactly what was said. Was it enough to justify the consequences? I say no. We are becoming a society of "the offended". People, far too many times, turn things into a "witchhunt". This wasn't a witchhunt. From the sounds of it, he was unprofessional regardless of her gender. I was almost terminated a long time ago for telling a co-worker to f*** off.

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 05:24 PM
HE called her an ***hole
enough said

Was she?

GrTigers6
01-05-2011, 05:25 PM
Was she? it doesnt matter

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 05:25 PM
This wasn't a witchhunt. From the sounds of it, he was unprofessional regardless of her gender. I was almost terminated a long time ago for telling a co-worker to f*ck off.

Notice, you said almost. :D

trojandad
01-05-2011, 05:27 PM
HE called her an ***hole
enough said

and admittedly that was wrong, but if that was the wrong, was it really worth a 25 yr career? if so, that's fine, but it smells of special interest to me.....maybe i'm wacko on that....i don't think he'd be gone if he turned to todd blackledge in the booth and call ed him an a**hole, but maybe i'm wrong there....

GrTigers6
If I was to call a student, teacher, parent that i would be fired on the spot. why is he any different

DDBooger
Notice, you said almost. :D Oh, I never said he deserved to be fired. I think that coupled with his chauvinistic undertone did it for them. I would have sought reconciliation through dialog. May have taught him something. Now he's old and bitter lol.

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 05:28 PM
it doesnt matter

Yes, it does. She must have said something that caused such a response.

RoyceTTU
01-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Notice, you said almost. :D

Franklin was almost fired in 2005, he didn't learn aparantly, no Franklin is looking for a job.

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Yes, it does. She must have said something that caused such a response. That's speculative.

GrTigers6
01-05-2011, 05:30 PM
Yes, it does. She must have said something that caused such a response. so if you ticked me off to the point that i went off and beat you to death then that is ok because you deserved it.
I know that is a stretch but that is basically what you are saying

trojandad
01-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Franklin was almost fired in 2005, he didn't learn aparantly, no Franklin is looking for a job.

wow, am i glad i've worked for myself all these years....the work world must be a tough place to keep a job.....i knocked a client through a front door once for being obnoxious with my secretary, doesn't sound like i would have kept a "job" long in the real world....lol

Pick6
01-05-2011, 05:32 PM
wow, am i glad i've worked for myself all these years....the work world must be a tough place to keep a job.....i knocked a client through a front door once for being obnoxious with my secretary, doesn't sound like i would have kept a "job" long in the real world....lol

Do you do business with that client now?

trojandad
01-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Pick6
Do you do business with that client now?

have for 15 yrs more....he apologized and i didnt look for his job.....

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Does anyone have a good Quitting story? :devil:

pirate4state
01-05-2011, 05:35 PM
wow, am i glad i've worked for myself all these years....the work world must be a tough place to keep a job.....i knocked a client through a front door once for being obnoxious with my secretary, doesn't sound like i would have kept a "job" long in the real world....lol :eek:

Bullaholic
01-05-2011, 05:36 PM

The male flight attendant who took the emergency shute ride was one in recent memory, Boog.

pirate4state
01-05-2011, 05:36 PM
Does anyone have a good Quitting story? :devil: Did you say finger painting? LOL

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 05:37 PM
so if you ticked me off to the point that i went off and beat you to death then that is ok because you deserved it.
I know that is a stretch but that is basically what you are saying

No, but your example is in poor taste. I'm offended..

I'm saying that it would be a normal reaction to respond to an obscenity with an obscenity. The word used was hardly obscene if used in an honest and truthful manner.

Bullaholic
01-05-2011, 05:38 PM
Did you say finger painting? LOL

Real men don't paint their fingers, P4S....:D

JJWalker
You're lucky your "assistant" (FYI ... secretary is a demeaning word) didn't turn you in for treating her differently than a man.

Very lucky.

Pick6
have for 15 yrs more....he apologized and i didnt look for his job.....

So she should of resorted to physical violence and then apologized about it and dropped it?

RoyceTTU

C:\>FORMAT C:

:D :D :D no, never :doh:

DDBooger
The male flight attendant who took the emergency shute ride was one in recent memory, Boog. haha that guy flipped. Pretty awesome. I have a friend who I hate going to lunch with because he's a pr*ck to waiters. People are jerks.

trojandad
01-05-2011, 05:40 PM
So she should of resorted to physical violence and then apologized about it and dropped it?

whoa, i was just saying how out of touch i am having worked for myself all these years, i meant no association to anything....just meant if somebody comes in and gets stupid with my secretary, i'd do worse than ron franklin and doubtless wouldnt have kept my job as long as him.....:D

pirate4state
01-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Real men don't paint their fingers, P4S....:D LOL maybe they should....ROLL TIDE!

trojandad
01-05-2011, 05:41 PM
You're lucky your "assistant" (FYI ... secretary is a demeaning word) didn't turn you in for treating her differently than a man.

Very lucky.

i would have had the same response if she were a man, a martian, even booger.....lol

GrTigers6
01-05-2011, 05:42 PM
No, but your example is in poor taste. I'm offended..

I'm saying that it would be a normal reaction to respond to an obscenity with an obscenity. The word used was hardly obscene if used in an honest and truthful manner. I wasnt meaning to offend you, just prove a point. If I did I'm Sorry.
But if you think being called that name doesnt offend her than I guess we will never get anywhere on this debate.

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 05:44 PM
i would have had the same response if she were a man, a martian, even booger.....lol thank you :nerd:

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 05:45 PM
I wasnt meaning to offend you, just prove a point. If I did I'm Sorry.
But if you think being called that name doesnt offend her than I guess we will never get anywhere on this debate. I would have contemplated busting that slackjaw, but I'm no longer prone to violence. :D

Pick6
01-05-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm saying that it would be a normal reaction to respond to an obscenity with an obscenity. The word used was hardly obscene if used in an honest and truthful manner.

So if someone truly thought your wife was that and called her that in front of you it would be ok?

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 05:56 PM
I wasnt meaning to offend you, just prove a point. If I did I'm Sorry.
But if you think being called that name doesnt offend her than I guess we will never get anywhere on this debate.

I should have put a :D by my first line. Not offended at all. Still, got to have thick skin on here sometimes.

If I understand correctly, the word used was the last thing said and just like here, sometimes people respond hastily and without thought. Nothing was ever reported as to what she had said as a response to his initial comment. I wish I knew Mr Franklin personally and could ask him. That knowledge would decide whether I shut up :hand: or carry on the cause :D. I'm sorry, I don't think the termination was justified. With that said, I think maybe this thread has ran its course. Thanks TXB for helping me get it started.

MoveInDad
01-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by lostaussie
I personally know Ron Franklin and he by all counts is a good, decent person. Maybe the chick miffed him...............maybe she should have minded her own buisness...............maybe he should have bit his tongue. Anyhow, IMO ESPN lost one of its best college basketball game announcers. He was a huge fan of all the Texas schools, I know that for a fact. We don't get much of that from ESPN.
Agreed, remember Ron from his days in Houston as the voice of the Oilers and as sports director for one of the local affiliates... too bad ESPN handled it this way instead of getting the two parties together to kiss and make-up ;)

trojandad
01-05-2011, 05:57 PM
heres another example of individuals getting tired of political correctness, this was eamiled to me as a quote from the prime minister of australia, a paerson you would think would live strictly for political correctness.....

Prime Minister Julia Gillard - Australia Muslims who want to live under Islamic Sharia law were told on Wednesday to get out of Australia , as the government targeted radicals in a bid to head off potential terror attacks..

Separately, Gillard angered some Australian Muslims on Wednesday by saying she supported spy agencies monitoring the nation's mosques.

Quote: 'IMMIGRANTS, NOT AUSTRALIANS, MUST ADAPT.. Take It Or Leave It.

I am tired of this nation worrying about whether we are offending some individual or their culture. Since the terrorist attacks on Bali , we have experienced a surge in patriotism by the majority of Australians. '

'This culture has been developed over two centuries of struggles, trials and victories by millions of men and women who have sought freedom'

'We speak mainly ENGLISH, not Spanish, Lebanese, Arabic, Chinese, Japanese, Russian, or any other language. Therefore, if you wish to become part of our society . Learn the language!'

'Most Australians believe in God. This is not some Christian, right wing, political push, but a fact, because Christian men and women, on Christian principles, founded this nation, and this is clearly documented It is certainly appropriate to display it on the walls of our schools. If God offends you, then I suggest you consider another part of the world as your new home, because God is part of our culture.'

'We will accept your beliefs, and will not question why All we ask is that you accept ours, and live in harmony and peaceful enjoyment with us.'

'This is OUR COUNTRY, OUR LAND, and OUR LIFESTYLE, and we will allow you every opportunity to enjoy all this. But once you are done complaining, whining, and griping about Our Flag, Our Pledge, Our Christian beliefs, or Our Way of Life, I highly encourage you take advantage of one other great Australian freedom, 'THE RIGHT TO LEAVE'.'

'If you aren't happy here then LEAVE. We didn't force you to come here. You asked to be here. So accept the country YOU accepted.'

WOW!!!

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 06:02 PM
So if someone truly thought your wife was that and called her that in front of you it would be ok?

If you're gonna put scripture in your signature, surely you know the answer to that as well as what should be done about this whole incident. :)

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 06:03 PM
:doh: here we go with the muslims again.

trojandad
01-05-2011, 06:04 PM
If you're gonna put scripture in your signature, surley you know the answer to that as well as what should be done about this whole incident. :) :2thumbsup

trojandad
01-05-2011, 06:07 PM
:doh: here we go with the muslims again.

i was just showing it as an instance of an obviously mature, educated person that at least 50% of her country supported at one time showing an adverse face to political correctness.....its coming more and more, the politically correct aspect of our society is gaining a substantial adversary even if it costs them their jobs....its coming.......

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 06:13 PM
i was just showing it as an instance of an obviously mature, educated person that at least 50% of her country supported at one time showing an adverse face to political correctness.....its coming more and more, the politically correct aspect of our society is gaining a substantial adversary even if it costs them their jobs....its coming....... I find the reciprocal to political correctness that uses it as a call to unify undemocratic and quite frightening repercussions for people based on their culture to be something out of a dystopian nightmare.

Calling a spade a spade is one thing, the dialog used in most instances and in a lot of cases is all encompassing.

Bullaholic
01-05-2011, 06:14 PM
i was just showing it as an instance of an obviously mature, educated person that at least 50% of her country supported at one time showing an adverse face to political correctness.....its coming more and more, the politically correct aspect of our society is gaining a substantial adversary even if it costs them their jobs....its coming.......

I agree with your position on PC being in overdrive, trojandad, but i also find it a little hard to believe that the head of state of a major country like Australia would have used that exact wording. It sure smacks of perhaps being "enhanced" somewhat (not by you) to make a point very strongly.

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 06:16 PM
I agree with your position on PC being in overdrive, trojandad, but i also find it a little hard to believe that the head of state of a major country like Australia would have used that exact wording. It sure smacks of perhaps being "enhanced" somewhat (not by you) to make a point very strongly. I'd say HIGHLY likely. People who post email fwds generally don't check the veracity of it.

trojandad
01-05-2011, 06:17 PM
I find the reciprocal to political correctness that uses it as a call to unify undemocratic and quite frightening repercussions for people based on their culture to be something out of a dystopian nightmare.

Calling a spade a spade is one thing, the dialog used in most instances and in a lot of cases is all encompassing.

and i'm sure thats the argument of her adversaries as well, nothing new there.....the fight against overzealous political correctness, however, is just as valid an argument.....can't reasonably dismiss an argument just because there is a flip side to the argument, thats how we got to the place where being pc is all that matters.....

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 06:20 PM
and i'm sure thats the argument of her adversaries as well, nothing new there.....the fight against overzealous political correctness, however, is just as valid an argument.....can't reasonably dismiss an argument just because there is a flip side to the argument, thats how we got to the place where being pc is all that matters..... I did not dismiss it, I called into the question the motives of those seeking its deconstruction. I don't have problems with Corporations or Govt entities enforcing standards of behavior on their employees. That said, I think lot of PC hides and lets the true emotions ferment underneath. If you (in general) want to drop n-bombs, I say go for it. It makes it easier for people to distinguish a genuinely good person from the next without being coy.

trojandad
01-05-2011, 06:24 PM
I did not dismiss it, I called into the question the motives of those seeking its deconstruction. I don't have problems with Corporations or Govt entities enforcing standards of behavior on their employees. That said, I think lot of PC hides and lets the true emotions ferment underneath. If you (in general) want to drop n-bombs, I say go for it. It makes it easier for people to distinguish a genuinely good person from the next without being coy.

i agree, and likewise if beliefs of wanting equal rights and decencies are only hiding abad experience with a sunday school teacher in their youth, i'd rather hear that as well than the facade.....i agree that most of these contests mask far different motives......

trojandad
01-05-2011, 06:26 PM
I did not dismiss it, I called into the question the motives of those seeking its deconstruction. I don't have problems with Corporations or Govt entities enforcing standards of behavior on their employees. That said, I think lot of PC hides and lets the true emotions ferment underneath. If you (in general) want to drop n-bombs, I say go for it. It makes it easier for people to distinguish a genuinely good person from the next without being coy.

which brings us all bad to the franklin question, was he really an a**hole man or a good man underneath.....from my view of life, i don't know how he could have hidden the "real" him for 25 yrs, save and except fot a wrong committed in 2005, and now someone discovered the "real" franklin.....

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 06:29 PM
which brings us all bad to the franklin question, was he really an a**hole man or a good man underneath.....from my view of life, i don't know how he could have hidden the "real" him for 25 yrs, save and except fot a wrong committed in 2005, and now someone discovered the "real" franklin..... This is why I favor repair to destroy.

trojandad
01-05-2011, 06:30 PM
This is why I favor repair to destroy.

amen :clap:

Tejastrue
01-05-2011, 06:33 PM
OMG, finally, some intelligent conversations.

:1popcorn: :1popcorn: :1popcorn:

coach
01-05-2011, 06:35 PM
i dont get it...i say this to rita all the time and it only makes her horny?!?!

DDBooger
01-05-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by coach
i dont get it...i say this to rita all the time and it only makes her horny?!?! hahaha:D :clap:

Txbroadcaster
01-05-2011, 06:47 PM
Wow this thread went a diff way thnt me and Tejas were going LOL

zebrablue2
01-05-2011, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Should of fired him a long time ago for not knowing the difference between a snap and a pass it got real annoying on every field goal... good pass good hold good kick.

a snap is a backward pass:rolleyes:so if the holder caught it ok, then it was a good pass:D