PDA

View Full Version : Beltre to Rangers?

Tejastrue
01-04-2011, 11:27 AM
Any thoughts on this move?

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20110103&content_id=16385138&vkey=news_tex&c_id=tex

crzyjournalist03
01-04-2011, 11:31 AM
Not a huge Beltre fan, but he makes the defense much better. I like the idea of giving Young the opportunity to play multiple positions as the backup and full-time DH. I think his offensive numbers might tick up a tad if hitting became his only priority, because he's always had a terrific work ethic.

If Nelson Cruz can stay healthy and repeat his 2010 performance, I prefer him at the #4 and Beltre at #5 in the lineup, just because I don't think Beltre has proven reliable enough to offer Josh Hamilton protection throughout the season.

crzyjournalist03
01-04-2011, 11:40 AM
FWIW, Yahoo sports is now reporting that a six-year deal could be finalized today.

Tejastrue
01-04-2011, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
Not a huge Beltre fan, but he makes the defense much better. I like the idea of giving Young the opportunity to play multiple positions as the backup and full-time DH. I think his offensive numbers might tick up a tad if hitting became his only priority, because he's always had a terrific work ethic.

If Nelson Cruz can stay healthy and repeat his 2010 performance, I prefer him at the #4 and Beltre at #5 in the lineup, just because I don't think Beltre has proven reliable enough to offer Josh Hamilton protection throughout the season.

Beltre is coming off one of his best years. Can he put together two in row? With this Ranger lineup? Probably. Young is not a great fielding 3rd baseman so I understand the move. Seems like Kinsler is always hurt at some point during the season so having Young for the role as "super utility" to spell him and others is crucial. Rangers suffered with their bench late in the year. I'm shocked though at a six year contract for a 31 year old infielder. Maybe they factor in the "DH role" for the latter years.

waterboy
01-04-2011, 12:25 PM
Wow! Six years is a long committment. I don't know enough about him to say whether that is good or not. I hope the Rangers find someone to anchor the starting pitching staff, something I don't think they've done thus far.

crzyjournalist03
01-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Jon Morosi says it will be a five-year deal with a vesting option for a sixth:

http://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/22332676048429056

Vesting options are usually based on performance/playing time in the last year or two of the contract, which makes the deal a bit more manageable. Considering Beltre's age, six guaranteed years is farther than I'd want to go. Heck, I'd prefer four with two vesting options, but I know there's no way Beltre would take that.