PDA

View Full Version : Texas State Head Coach Search

BaseballUmp
01-03-2011, 10:39 PM
Former A&M coach Dennis Franchione and former Minnesota coach Tim Brewster headline the list of names.

A coach is expected to be introduced by next week, although an outside chance exists that the announcement could come as soon as Friday.

ASUFrisbeeStud
01-03-2011, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by BaseballUmp
Former A&M coach Dennis Franchione and former Minnesota coach Tim Brewster headline the list of names.

A coach is expected to be introduced by next week, although an outside chance exists that the announcement could come as soon as Friday.

There is a former Texas State Head coach that worked for Fran at A&M that I think would be a good choice, his daughter is a good friend of my bride.

BaseballUmp
01-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Other names that continue to circulate as possible candidates include former New Mexico coach Rocky Long, now the defensive coordinator at San Diego State; Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson and Oklahoma defensive assistant Bobby Jack Wright.

all from www.bobcatfans.com

bigwood33
01-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Why in the world would the NE offensive coordinator be considered? NE may have the worst offenses in college football. I sure hope they go a different direction than that.

BaseballUmp
01-04-2011, 12:18 AM
Not sure but Bobby Wright played at SWT 69-72 and is the only one that I can see that has any ties to Texas State

GreenMonster
01-04-2011, 02:29 AM
Not sure but Bobby Wright played at SWT 69-72 and is the only one that I can see that has any ties to Texas State I could be dreaming here, but didn't Franchione already have one stint as head coach SWT? I thought he was there before leaving for New Mexico prior to TCU, Alabama, & finally A&M. Like I said, I could be dreaming and totally fabricated that in my own mind, but that would give him Texas State ties as well.

kaorder1999
01-04-2011, 02:52 AM
yep...two seasons

cr180t
01-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Heard he is the one. Heard his son resigned his job to go with Dad to Texas State?

BaseballUmp
01-04-2011, 08:06 PM
•Three candidates have been scheduled to or have interviewed Tuesday with Texas State president Dr. Denise M. Trauth, Director of Athletics Dr. Larry Teis and Parker Executive Search — San Diego State defensive coordinator Rocky Long, Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson and former Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster.
•From what I've been told by sources, both Long and Watson left those in attendance impressed. Brewster, according to another source, is set to interview Tuesday night in Austin.

•It seems as if Brewster is trying very hard for the job, coming to Austin to interview and reportedly studying up on the players he'd inherit as well as having a staff in mind should he get the job.
•Expect Oklahoma defensive assistant Bobby Jack Wright to interview Wednesday with former Colorado head coach Dan Hawkins to put in a late charge soon after, according to a source.

I guess they're leaving Fran for last...he's been seen around San Marcos and around the Athletic dept. recently...

YTBulldogs
01-05-2011, 09:58 AM
What was Coach Shipley doing in SM this past weekend?

44INAROW
01-05-2011, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by YTBulldogs
What was Coach Shipley doing in SM this past weekend?
probably checking out the great sales at the Outlet Malls :)

Red&White_9x5
01-05-2011, 03:45 PM
•Three candidates have been scheduled to or have interviewed Tuesday with Texas State president Dr. Denise M. Trauth, Director of Athletics Dr. Larry Teis and Parker Executive Search — San Diego State defensive coordinator Rocky Long, Nebraska offensive coordinator Shawn Watson and former Minnesota head coach Tim Brewster.
•From what I've been told by sources, both Long and Watson left those in attendance impressed. Brewster, according to another source, is set to interview Tuesday night in Austin.

•It seems as if Brewster is trying very hard for the job, coming to Austin to interview and reportedly studying up on the players he'd inherit as well as having a staff in mind should he get the job.
•Expect Oklahoma defensive assistant Bobby Jack Wright to interview Wednesday with former Colorado head coach Dan Hawkins to put in a late charge soon after, according to a source.

I guess they're leaving Fran for last...he's been seen around San Marcos and around the Athletic dept. recently...

I am hearing now that Fran has pulled his name out of the hat and is no longer interested in the job

shamu85
01-05-2011, 06:58 PM
I didn't even know we had lost yet another coach since moving to D1. Pitiful.

I wonder whether Claude Mathis was considered (I hope not as I'm not sure his personality could handle the composure requirements). He was a RB when I was at school there, and has had some pretty good Austin LBJ and DeSoto teams.

I saw them interviewing Dan Hawkins at the Aledo-LaMarque game the other day. Said he was there as a guest of Nike since his daughter worked for Nike. I think he would be great as HC.

bigwood33
01-05-2011, 08:21 PM
There is no way that this job goes to someone who hasn't been either a successful HC at SOME collegiate level or a coordinator from a big time program. HS coaches will not receive ANY serious consideration. There is too much at stake and too much money involved to roll the dice with a JV coach.

BaseballUmp
01-05-2011, 10:53 PM
I'm hearing Tim Brewster and Fran have both withdrawn their names from the job.

BaseballUmp
01-05-2011, 11:33 PM
Rumor mill on bobcatfans.com saying Oregon OC Mark Helfrich will be heading to Texas next week after the NC game with intentions of interviewing for the HC position at Texas State...he's been the recruiter for Texas the past few years I believe. That would be pretty big for us though I doubt the authenticity of it.

rojosgirl
01-06-2011, 03:39 PM
Didn't need Fran. Check with A & M about that.

Txbroadcaster
01-06-2011, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl

Check with TCU about how he rebuilt a dead program

LoboesWT
01-06-2011, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by rojosgirl

Not so sure, he did a good job a UNM as well as TCU.

BLACK&GOLD4LIFE
01-08-2011, 10:38 AM
FRAN took the job...