PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys have the #9 pick

Bull's-eye
01-03-2011, 11:46 AM
http://www.truebluefanclub.com/blogs/josh_ellis.cfm?plckController=Blog&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&userid=8ad9a5ae-68fd-47d1-a7d7-e4c8fcb84090&plckPostId=Blog%3a8ad9a5ae-68fd-47d1-a7d7-e4c8fcb84090Post%3a60e89495-cbb1-4692-8c2d-4ddf561c845c&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest

Eagle 1
01-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Unless Jerry trades that pick off for some "has been".:rolleyes:

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Eagle 1
Unless Jerry trades that pick off for some "has been".:rolleyes:

I'm betting that Jerry trades up for Mallett-----Sooooooooeeeeeee, big money....:D
Would make no sense, but I think Jerry just can't say no to an Arkansas boy....

Farmersfan
01-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Do you draft specific positions that need filled or do you take the BEST AVAILABLE player at that pick?

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
Do you draft specific positions that need filled or do you take the BEST AVAILABLE player at that pick?

I used to think filling your needs was the priority, but nowadays I think taking the best available player and trying to trade may be a better strategy in many ways.

RoyceTTU
01-03-2011, 12:00 PM

Depends on the draft stock of who you have your eye on. Trade the pick or pick best available and trade that pick away for 2 or 3 picks etc.....

All cases are a little difference.

Black_Magic
01-03-2011, 12:05 PM
They need to get Andy Dalton. He is the real deal.

Farmersfan
01-03-2011, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I used to think filling your needs was the priority, but nowadays I think taking the best available player and trying to trade may be a better strategy in many ways.

I agree! If you can hit on a top 10 pick that pans out it will benefit your team no matter what position that player plays. If you get a top 10 receiver that plays like a top 10 reciever then you have a lot of trade bait in Miles Austin or some of the others. I say even RB! If you get another Emmitt Smith then you could get good players for a Barber, Jones or Choice trade.
And now for the question that everyone has been waiting for:

Do you take a QB with the #9 pick if he is the BEST AVAILABLE player.

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Example: 6 years ago Dallas had Steven Jackson on the board and opted to trade down for Julius Jones and a couple of others. I screamed out loud....:D

Txbroadcaster
01-03-2011, 12:11 PM

Do you take a QB with the #9 pick if he is the BEST AVAILABLE player.

Only if you have two things...

a trade worked out for Romo and the patience to say your basically tearing things down and rebuilding

Then you have to be as sure as anyone can in a draft that the new QB is going to become a top 5 active starter in win % and a top career QB ratings leader..because like him or not, that is what Romo is right now.

Txbroadcaster
01-03-2011, 12:12 PM
Example: 6 years ago Dallas had Steven Jackson on the board and opted to trade down for Julius Jones and a couple of others. I screamed out loud....:D

dont blame Jones on that..blame Parcells who told Jerry that Juluis was as good as Jackson

Eagle 1
01-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
They need to get Andy Dalton. He is the real deal.

I agree. He is a talented qb.

DDBooger
01-03-2011, 12:28 PM
Trade down and accumulate some picks?

coach
01-03-2011, 01:46 PM
andy dalton!??? lmao...and ryan mallet is a a 24 td 23 int type guy...i say try and get that peterson kid from lsu he looks like the real deal

eagles_victory
01-03-2011, 04:13 PM
I agree! If you can hit on a top 10 pick that pans out it will benefit your team no matter what position that player plays. If you get a top 10 receiver that plays like a top 10 reciever then you have a lot of trade bait in Miles Austin or some of the others. I say even RB! If you get another Emmitt Smith then you could get good players for a Barber, Jones or Choice trade.
And now for the question that everyone has been waiting for:

Do you take a QB with the #9 pick if he is the BEST AVAILABLE player. There are exceptions you don't take a receiver at #9 or a QB if they are the best available player. Your set at both positions for now and have too many holes in other places. Now if its a T,CB, LB, or something then I say take the best available and don't necessarily look at position.

Emerson1
01-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Trade up to get Peterson. Get one great player instead of a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders who will never even be on the active roster.

the genious
01-03-2011, 05:56 PM
I'm betting that Jerry trades up for Mallett-----Sooooooooeeeeeee, big money....:D
Would make no sense, but I think Jerry just can't say no to an Arkansas boy....
Trades up for Mallett? highly unlikly... mallett is the 3rd or 4th QB in the draft if he wants him he could trade back a few spots and still get him

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by the genious
Trades up for Mallett? highly unlikly... mallett is the 3rd or 4th QB in the draft if he wants him he could trade back a few spots and still get him

That's true---I thought Mallett was going higher than No. 21 projection.

DDBooger
01-03-2011, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Trade up to get Peterson. Get one great player instead of a bunch of 2nd and 3rd rounders who will never even be on the active roster. Pats are 14-2 with a roster full of those types. Either they buck the norm or it is not a bad strategy. Then again, it depends on who's doing the evaluating. I don't have the confidence that Dallas would be as sharp as NE.

PPHSfan
01-03-2011, 08:25 PM
Dallas doesn't need a qb. Dallas needs a gm and a head coach.

GreenMonster
01-04-2011, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by DDBooger
Trade down and accumulate some picks? no, but certainly consider trading Barber and Roy Williams for picks. Both could garner a second rounder to the right buyer and possibly a first rounder if the Cowboys are willing to trade now for a 2012 pick. O-line and secondary are in need of help. I'd like to see a good o-lineman taken with the #1 this year. Too many successful QB's today come out of the latter rounds to warrant a first round pick on the third or fourth rated QB in the draft class. Good o-linemen are hard to come by.

Txbroadcaster
01-04-2011, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
no, but certainly consider trading Barber and Roy Williams for picks. Both could garner a second rounder to the right buyer and possibly a first rounder if the Cowboys are willing to trade now for a 2012 pick. O-line and secondary are in need of help. I'd like to see a good o-lineman taken with the #1 this year. Too many successful QB's today come out of the latter rounds to warrant a first round pick on the third or fourth rated QB in the draft class. Good o-linemen are hard to come by.

I doubt barber or Williams would get more than a 5th round pick

crzyjournalist03
01-04-2011, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
I doubt barber or Williams would get more than a 5th round pick

with their contracts, I doubt they're tradeable at all, but if they are, a fifth is probably the ceiling.