PDA

View Full Version : Toughest 3A Schedule in '04

Adidas410s
02-06-2004, 10:59 PM
Yeah I am being a "homer" with this post, but Abilene Wylie's is going to be pretty dang hard this year! 9 of their 10 opponents were in the playoffs last year...and 4 of those teams went at least 3 rounds deep! Toss in a home-and-home scrimmage with Brownwood and that schedule matches up as well as anybody in the state! Here is Wylie's lineup:

SA Lakeview...lost in 4A D2 bi-district to Pampa
vs Midland Greenwood...lost in 3A D2 bi-district to Merkel
Aledo...lost in 4A D2 Quarters to Denton Ryan
Vernon...lost in 3A D2 Semis to Atlanta
Graham...lost in 3A D1 Bi-District to Wylie
Decatur...lost in 3A D2 Area to Vernon
vs Sweetwater*...lost in 3A D2 Regionals to Vernon
@ Merkel*...lost in 3A D2 Regionals to Kennedale
OFF
vs Snyder*...lost in 3A D1 Quarters to Wylie
@ Clyde*...no playoffs

*District Game

Z motion 10 out on 2
02-07-2004, 12:27 AM
I can't see any tougher of a schedule. That will be one seasoned football team by playoff time.

Gasilla
02-07-2004, 01:08 AM
Man that's a murderers row if I've ever saw one. They should be pretty seasoned come playoff time. WO-S has a pretty tough one to, it goes as follows:

Jasper - 3A DI semi-finalist
Nederland - 4A DII regional semi-finalist
Bay City - 4A DI state finalist
Central - 4A DI regional finalist
Newton - 3A DII regional finalist (I think)
Open
Hardin Jefferson - none
Anahuac - 3A playoff team
Hamshire Fannette - 3A playoff team
Orangefield - 3A DII area finalist
Bridge City - none

Atl_Rabb_Fan
02-07-2004, 05:21 AM
Atlanta has a tough one also. Not sure the order they will play but here are the teams.

Texas High
Hallsville
Mt.Pleasant
Kilgore
Carthage

Liberty Eylau
Daingerfield
Pleasant Grove
New Boston
Jefferson

HighSchool Fan
02-07-2004, 09:45 AM
With all the talk of Atlanta being so good, how come they refused to play Gainesville?

FormerBellvilleBrahma
02-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Bellville's schedule will give the Brahmas plenty of good compitition this year with 7 of 10 teams comming off of play-off seasons.
Caldwell, Cameron Yoe, Marlin, Yoakum,Gonzales, Sealy, Navasota, Rice, Hempstead, and Columbus.
Look for Bellville to fight for a play-off spot this year, after lossing big to Graduation and being the stud of the District for the last 3 years.
This will be a year to see what the coach can do with a rebuilding year. After having the talent the last 3 years to win it all, he will not have that situation this year!
Good luck to the Brahmas!!!!

ThaRealBulldog
02-07-2004, 11:05 AM
Carthage's schedule

Henderson
Palestine
Diboll
Wills Point
Jefferson
Atlanta

White Oak
Spring Hill
Center
Tatum

This is not the exact order I just know those are the teams. Every team made playoffs except Center.

VWG
02-07-2004, 11:08 AM
I agree, in Region I Wylie has loaded up.
Playing those tough games will get the Bulldogs ready for playoff time, as long as injuries don't play a factor.
By the way.... if Wylie's QB takes a shot and gets his knee banged up, etc... with their offense who comes in and leads the team then? JV QB or varsity bench QB from last year?
If Wylie's QB does go down for the season, could we see Wylie have the same fate as Canyon did last year?

Adidas410s
02-07-2004, 07:43 PM
VWG:
I agree, in Region I Wylie has loaded up.
Playing those tough games will get the Bulldogs ready for playoff time, as long as injuries don't play a factor.
By the way.... if Wylie's QB takes a shot and gets his knee banged up, etc... with their offense who comes in and leads the team then? JV QB or varsity bench QB from last year?
If Wylie's QB does go down for the season, could we see Wylie have the same fate as Canyon did last year?hmm...a good question indeed! This would be an easy answer IF one of the QB's hadn't quit last year. Caleb Ensor's (99-01 QB now @ ACU) little brother decided to conentrate on basketball instead because he didnt see much of a chance to play with Keenum in there. Also, the backup last year was a Senior. The 3rd string guy was a Jr so I am assuming that he will move into the #2 slot as a Senior. I dont know if it was a Freshman or Sophmore that QB'd the JV team since Keenum was a Sophmore and NORMALLY would have been the JV QB as a sophmore if he wasnt so dang good! Hopefully this is something that we wont have to worry about and the team can have an injury free year!

Additionally, I dont think that you would see Wylie suffer the same fate as Canyon because Wylie's offense doesnt revolve around 1 position. Its about getting good players at every position and letting them be the consumate role players and keep themselves in a position to win. This is one reason that you hardly ever see Wylie blow out other teams because they dont have a high powered offensive scheme. They have a run-based offense that is capable of moving the ball through the air by using 5,8, and 10 yard routes.

<small>[ February 07, 2004, 06:47 PM: Message edited by: Adidas410s ]</small>

PPHSfan
02-07-2004, 09:49 PM
HighSchool Fan:
With all the talk of Atlanta being so good, how come they refused to play Gainesville?First of all...ATLANTA IS GOOD. I would imagine that Atlanta sees no reason to travel all the way to Gainesville next year with both teams being different just to prove a moot point, when there is so much talent in their neck of the woods.

Texas High: 4A Superpower

Hallsville: 4A Powerhouse

Mt.Pleasant: 4A Big and Fast and a tradition with ATlanta

Kilgore: Can you spell SPEED?

Carthage: See Kilgore

Are all fantastic programs that can give them a tough pre-district season. I for one can't think of too many teams in 3A that would be envious of playing the likes of any of those five teams and expect to not get challenged.

HighSchool Fan
02-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Firsr off, who said Gainesville wouldn't go to Atlanta? I'm not saying Atlanta isn't a bad team. I was just wondering why they would refuse to play the other 3a state champion team.

PPHSfan
02-08-2004, 08:25 AM
HighSchool Fan:
Firsr off, who said Gainesville wouldn't go to Atlanta? I'm not saying Atlanta isn't a bad team. I was just wondering why they would refuse to play the other 3a state champion team.I guess you don't understand that next years teams are not going to be the two teams that won state championships. So your point is moot. In the wonderful world of highchool football we have this thing called "graduation". When this happens, it changes the players on a football team from year to year. How can you sit there and ask why the "two state champions" won't play each other next year, when those two teams won't exist.

PPHSfan
02-08-2004, 08:42 AM
TRIVIA QUESTION For HighSchool Fan:

Who was the last team to beat Gainesville?

Answer: Atlanta Novemeber 22, 2002 in the 3A D1 Playoffs. This game was played the year before they both won state. Is there any difference in playing the year after? :p

VWG
02-08-2004, 10:13 AM
On this Atlanta-Gainesville issue. Travel & budget do the talking. Iowa Park played New Boston recently at HEB-Pennington, but I doubt if the game will be rescheduled due to increasing deficits in school's budgets.
Bridgeport played Niceville, FL. a couple of years ago. Again, you don't see this happening due to budget constraints.

Old Cardinal
02-08-2004, 05:18 PM
It looks like Bridge City has taken on an ambitious preseason schedule, next season: Silsbee, Kirbyville, Little Cypress-Mauriceville, Liberty and Jasper....They are playing 3 good 3As from last season, plus a 4A dropdown and a high enrollment 4A. Their team is primarily Juniors and Sophomores next season, this will be quite a test of them.

HighSchool Fan
02-08-2004, 05:52 PM
All I asked was why Atlanta refused to play Gainesville. I never said that they wasn't a good team. If i wanted to talk about a bad team that would be Pilot Point.

TRIVIA QUESTION for PPHSFAN:

How many points has Pilot Point scored againest Gainesville the last two years?

Answer: 0 as in zero.

PPHSfan
02-08-2004, 05:57 PM
Oh no, the little scrub really got me there didn't he? :p

Friendly Advice: If you want to last around here, use good judgement choosing your enemies.

HighSchool Fan
02-08-2004, 06:07 PM
I'm not trying to make enemies. I was just making a statement. Can you answer one question for me and I'm not trying start an argument about this. Does Mike Russell work in Pilot Point? I understand that he onced coached for Gainesville and he was a prodigy of, dame I just for forgot your Head Coaches name, I know he is the all time leader in wins, but his name just left my mind. Anyway back to Mike, does he work at PP?

Buckeye80
02-10-2004, 03:22 PM
PPHSfan:
Oh no, the little scrub really got me there didn't he? :p

Friendly Advice: If you want to last around here, use good judgement choosing your enemies.Hey Daddy, I thought you might be interested in our non-district schedule.

Pine Tree (4A)- Tyler Rose Stadium (part of the kickoff classic)
Lindale- Away
Jefferson- Away
Pleasant Grove- Away
Daingerfield- Home
Paris (4A)- Sam Parker Field in Mt. Pleasant

Two 4A's this year to steal a page from Atlanta.

Gobbla2001
02-10-2004, 03:28 PM
Not the toughest, but tough enough...

3A CC West Oso - I forget if they made the playoffs or not last year

Wharton - 2nd round of 3A D1 playoffs

Sealy - 3A playoff team

La Grange - 3A playoff team (I forget which team won in their playoff game, LG or Sealy?)...

Sinton - 3rd round of 3A D1 playoffs

Phil C
02-10-2004, 04:51 PM
I would say Sinton has the toughest schedule in 2004. Look at the ten teams we have to face. First the non-district teams.

Taft who barely missed making the playoffs last year and is always tough especially when they play Sinton.

Gregory-Portland who is always a 4A powerhouse and we have to play them in Portland. Main worry
is not only against a tough team but will we survive without injuries which have hurt us afterward the last two years.

Cuero who is always a tough playoff team. They beat us bad last year and that was on our own field.

Beeville who is another 4A powerhouse. Who scheduled these guys?

Orange Grove who is always good and make playoffs consistently. A tough team to beat. And we have to probably play them in Orange Grove this year - extra dangerous.

West Oso who consistently makes playoffs and has good teams. They gave Yoakum a big scare last year.

And in District competition

Mathis who always is tough and was state runner ups just a few years ago and made playoffs last year.

Inglside who is a fast growing school and always tough and is certain to rise as a powerhouse in the future. As fast as this school is growing they may be in 4A in a few years.

Aransas Pass who is tough. Remember they beat Taft last year which put Mathis in the playoffs.

Goliad who was once in our district and was very competitive. Very little comfort that we are now in competition with the Tigers who are always tough.

After that of course then playoff teams (if we are fortunate enough to get into the playoffs which obviously won't be easy) and these are always tough with great teams.

Indeed the Sinton Pirates have a tough schedule in 2004. Probably the toughest in State 3A.

Old Dog
02-10-2004, 05:09 PM
Atlanta and Gainesville can't play....if Atlanta won, it would foul up all the UIL's screwed up play-off system!!!!! LOL

<small>[ February 10, 2004, 04:09 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

Keith7
02-10-2004, 06:11 PM
HighSchool Fan:
All I asked was why Atlanta refused to play Gainesville. I never said that they wasn't a good team. If i wanted to talk about a bad team that would be Pilot Point.

TRIVIA QUESTION for PPHSFAN:

How many points has Pilot Point scored againest Gainesville the last two years?

Answer: 0 as in zero.hahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahh ahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahh ahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahha hahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhah ahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahha hahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahha hahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahha hahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhaha hahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhaha hhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahah ahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahah ahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahah hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahah hahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahah hahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahh ahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahha hahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhah ahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahah ahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahah ahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahah ahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahah ahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhaha hhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhah ahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahh ahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahah ahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahah ahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahah hahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahah ahahhahahhahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahha hahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahh ahahahahahhahahahahahhahahhahahhahahahhahaha

You can be my new friend

BigChief
02-12-2004, 03:04 PM
Yoakum has a tough schedule this coming season. The toughest I've ever seen the Bulldogs put together.

West Columbia
Giddings
Rice Consolidated
Bellville
Van Vleck

with a district schedule..
Cuero
Edna
Hallettsville
Gonzales
Luling

Ozzy
02-12-2004, 03:25 PM
Phil C:

I bet there are over 100 schools in the state that would jump at Sinton's schedule. I hope you were trying to be funny. I bet the strength-of-schedule would not even be in the top 60 in the state in AAA.

netexan
02-12-2004, 10:10 PM
ATLANTA IS NOT AVOIDING G'VILLE. IT IS JUST NOT
ECONOMICAL TO TRAVEL THAT FAR FOR A NON-DISTRICT
FOOTBALL GAME. AS YOU CAN SEE WE ARE PLAYING A VERY TOUGH SCHEDULE ALREADY. PLAYING G'VILLE WOULD NOT PROVE ANYTHING. ATLANTA STARTED 1-4 LAST YEAR.THEY WERE NOT ANYTHING LIKE THE TEAM THAT WON THE STATE CHAMPIONSHIP. PLUS ATLANTA JUST HAD 8 SIGN WITH COLLEGES AND ONE IS GOING TO SIGN IN THE NEXT FEW WEEKS.. SO PLAYING G'VILLE WOULD PROVE NOTHING.. ATLANTA BEAT G'VILLE TWO YEARS AGO BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN THAT ATLANTA WAS BETTER LAST YEAR.. THEY COULD NOT PLAY SO ENJOY YOUR STATE CHAMPIONSHIP AND JUST MAYBE THEY WILL MEET IN WEEK 12 OR SO AND WHAT A GAME THAT WILL BE. JUST REMEMBER THAT THIS TIME LAST YEAR G'VILLE AND ATLANTA WERE JUST ANOTHER TEAM .WONDER WHO WILL BE BRAGGING THIS TIME NEXT YEAR??.

Gobbla2001
02-14-2004, 02:57 PM
Ozzy:
Phil C:

I bet there are over 100 schools in the state that would jump at Sinton's schedule. I hope you were trying to be funny. I bet the strength-of-schedule would not even be in the top 60 in the state in AAA.West Oso is always tough, they just can't hold it together for a whole season, but they do a lot of damage early on...

Orange Grove is full of a buncha Corn-Fed guys and are always tough, they just can't seem to keep those Corn-Fed boys ON the field and now OUT IN the field, but they are always tough...

Beeville is a tough 4A team, you never hear about them because they can't get by Calallen, Rockport-Fulton anddddddddddd (drum roll please) Gregory-Portland (2002 4A State Semi-Finalist, made a small run in the playoffs in '03)...

Now Cuero? They suck, so I guess I can see where you're coming from...

But in all honestly, it's a pretty tough schedule if you sit down and look at it... All of these teams will be picked to make the playoffs next year by DCTF I'm almost sure (Which of course doesn't mean they'll make 'em, but it shows you that ole PhilC isn't the only one who thinks they're tough)...

HOW BOUT THEM SPURS!!!

Old Tiger
02-14-2004, 03:08 PM
I would of said ours but they put Lorena and Robinson on it. I think they should of got Elgin, Taylor, and Bellville/Navasota.

Gobbla2001
02-14-2004, 03:11 PM
Old Tiger:
I would of said ours but they put Lorena and Robinson on it. I think they should of got Elgin, Taylor, and Bellville/Navasota.Speaking of Elgin, it's about time they went 4A... They've been the Brownsville, TX of 3A football for a while now, right on the border...

Buccaneer
02-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Phil C:
I would say Sinton has the toughest schedule in 2004. Look at the ten teams we have to face. First the non-district teams.

Taft who barely missed making the playoffs last year and is always tough especially when they play Sinton.

Gregory-Portland who is always a 4A powerhouse and we have to play them in Portland. Main worry
is not only against a tough team but will we survive without injuries which have hurt us afterward the last two years.

Cuero who is always a tough playoff team. They beat us bad last year and that was on our own field.

Beeville who is another 4A powerhouse. Who scheduled these guys?

Orange Grove who is always good and make playoffs consistently. A tough team to beat. And we have to probably play them in Orange Grove this year - extra dangerous.

West Oso who consistently makes playoffs and has good teams. They gave Yoakum a big scare last year.

And in District competition

Mathis who always is tough and was state runner ups just a few years ago and made playoffs last year.

Inglside who is a fast growing school and always tough and is certain to rise as a powerhouse in the future. As fast as this school is growing they may be in 4A in a few years.

Aransas Pass who is tough. Remember they beat Taft last year which put Mathis in the playoffs.

Goliad who was once in our district and was very competitive. Very little comfort that we are now in competition with the Tigers who are always tough.

After that of course then playoff teams (if we are fortunate enough to get into the playoffs which obviously won't be easy) and these are always tough with great teams.

Indeed the Sinton Pirates have a tough schedule in 2004. Probably the toughest in State 3A.This is not that tough of a schedule ! Cuero will be the biggest obstacle, followed by GP, Beeville will be competitive now that they have Soza as coach, Taft, West Oso, and Orange Grove will be easy wins. Sinton will breeze through district with only Mathis and AP putting up a fight. Goliad will be the easiest game on the schedule !Sinton will be 8-2 or better when they enter the playoffs !

<small>[ February 14, 2004, 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Buccaneer ]</small>