PDA

View Full Version : Worst NFL rule

coach
01-02-2011, 03:05 PM
The Rooney Rule. Cowboys can't hire Jason Garret without interviewing a minority, but the vikings can hire Leslie Frasier without interviewing a white guy because fraiser is black????

Diocletian
01-02-2011, 04:26 PM
I don't see how it matters too much.

The descrimination was all one way for years and years.

The rule purposely has nothing to do with Caucasion Equality. The rule itself is there to help balance the opportunities that are present from both Black and White canidates.

You can't add a rule to help one side...if it's designed to help both sides. Therefore, it's only present to help one side to even out the field.

Also keep in mind the rule is not going to be based on one or two scenerios... so blowing up about this confusion is just not worth it. It's clear that White canidates have not been descriminated against for years and years...so no rule is needed for them.

Rabid Cougar
01-02-2011, 04:38 PM
How about a "John Lynch" Rule.....
You have to have at least one white guy on defense..

sTxforlife
01-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar

Hahahaha +1

Diocletian
01-02-2011, 04:41 PM
lol that is priceless..

coach
01-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Diocletian
I don't see how it matters too much.

The descrimination was all one way for years and years.

The rule purposely has nothing to do with Caucasion Equality. The rule itself is there to help balance the opportunities that are present from both Black and White canidates.

You can't add a rule to help one side...if it's designed to help both sides. Therefore, it's only present to help one side to even out the field.

Also keep in mind the rule is not going to be based on one or two scenerios... so blowing up about this confusion is just not worth it. It's clear that White canidates have not been descriminated against for years and years...so no rule is needed for them.

i understand all that but dallas looks like they have found their guy just as minnesota has but now dallas has to have interviews when they really dont want to

ILS1
01-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Worst penalty is the Pass Interference rule!!! You get the ball where the penalty occurred is ridiculous!! You can get a 50 yd penalty on ONE PLAY!!! They should go back to the 15 yard penalty from the line of scrimmage!!!

Diocletian
01-02-2011, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by coach
i understand all that but dallas looks like they have found their guy just as minnesota has but now dallas has to have interviews when they really dont want to

Sometimes rules have to be followed...no matter what the situation is. It's to better the cause...which improves society.

It's the same reason you see someone salute the American Flag durring our Nat Anth....not needed, but they do it anyway for the cause.

the genious
01-02-2011, 06:43 PM
obviously when u r goin to invest that much money into a team and the people around it u want the most qualified person to do the job idc if he is black, white, hispanic, green, or purple when u spend $2 a year on somebody (atleast) u want them to be the best!!! this rule is pointless because if u interview the best and a black guy is one of the best candidates then they should get interviewed they shouldn't make u do it!! JMHO it doesnt pretain to whether or not they r the most qualified u could interview frazier, then 4 high school coaches and one of the high school coaches could get the job even though frazier is more qualified

Diocletian
01-02-2011, 07:36 PM
The rule was put in place because the Teams were not interviewing the best cannidates.

Now that we know it works... they should follow the rule, even if they think Garr is going to fit.

Honestly I don't think Garr is the best cannidate right now anyhow.

coach
01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
The rule was put in place because the Teams were not interviewing the best cannidates.

says who?

Who-dun-it!!?
01-02-2011, 09:27 PM
I don't see anybody but Garrett getting the job anyway. I believe he was hired on to be groomed for the position. There are obviously several candidates of every color who may be better qualified because of previous experience. But ol' Jerry may decide its time to give Garrett a shot to write his own resume. Several coaches have won the superbowl and then gone on to win Jack Squat. I think the resume is irrelivant.

Txbroadcaster
01-03-2011, 01:51 AM

That is not true..the rule was put in because minority coaches were not getting interviewed. Who the best candidates are is always subjective

Maroon87
01-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Rabid Cougar

Or Jason Sehorn.

Emerson1
01-03-2011, 03:44 PM
I'd be pretty offended if I was black and the only reason I got interviewed was because the teams were forced to.

BILLYFRED0000
01-03-2011, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ILS1
Worst penalty is the Pass Interference rule!!! You get the ball where the penalty occurred is ridiculous!! You can get a 50 yd penalty on ONE PLAY!!! They should go back to the 15 yard penalty from the line of scrimmage!!!

I disagree. if the defense is allowed to stop a sure touchdown from 60 yards away and only give up 15 everybody would take that.
I am in favor of awarding a touchdown to interference in the endzone just like a safety for holding in the end zone.

RoyceTTU
01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
I am in favor of awarding a touchdown to interference in the endzone just like a safety for holding in the end zone.

I think that is a bit much. Giving the Auto 1st down is plenty.

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 04:03 PM
I think the days of passing over blacks for HC jobs because of race are long since gone. I think NFL teams will hire the best man everytime--regardless of race. IMO, the Rooney Rule does a great disservice to Afro-Americans, and lends itself to the "token black" candidate practices.

Farmersfan
01-03-2011, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by ILS1

But why should the offense be penaltized because the defense broke the rules???? Since you can't possibly know if the receiver would have caught the ball then isn't it logical that the tie goes to the team that didn't break the rules? Assume the offense completes a 60 yard TD pass if the defense doesn't commit the penalty. There is no way to justify taking 7 points and 45 yards of offense away from the offense when they did nothing wrong!

eagles_victory
01-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think the days of passing over blacks for HC jobs because of race are long since gone. I think NFL teams will hire the best man everytime--regardless of race. IMO, the Rooney Rule does a great disservice to Afro-Americans, and lends itself to the "token black" candidate practices. I agree isn't it more insulting to be interviewed for a job you have no chance of getting and having your time wasted just because your black? I wouldn't want to waste my time interviewing for the Cowboy job when it is already decided on just because I'm their token black guy.

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Farmersfan
But why should the offense be penaltized because the defense broke the rules???? Since you can't possibly know if the receiver would have caught the ball then isn't it logical that the tie goes to the team that didn't break the rules? Assume the offense completes a 60 yard TD pass if the defense doesn't commit the penalty. There is no way to justify taking 7 points and 45 yards of offense away from the offense when they did nothing wrong!

I am an advocate for abolishing the PI rule entirely. It is too broad and subject to individual interpretation resulting in many inconsistent calls with game-changing consequences.

Receivers and defenders should be allowed to contest for the ball during the entire route. Receivers should be allowed to separate by pushing off and defenders should be allowed to bump at anytime. Players are doing this on every pass play anyhow. Holding and the "defenseless" receiver rules should still apply. Currently, PI could be called on every pass play in the NFL under the current rule. At the very least, the college PI rule should be adopted immediately.

LoboesWT
01-03-2011, 04:32 PM
I am an advocate for abolishing the PI rule entirely. It is too broad and subject to individual interpretation resulting in many inconsistent calls with game-changing consequences.

Receivers and defenders should be allowed to contest for the ball during the entire route. Receivers should be allowed to separate by pushing off and defenders should be allowed to bump at anytime. Players are doing this on every pass play anyhow. Holding and the "defenseless" receiver rules should still apply. Currently, PI could be called on every pass play in the NFL under the current rule. At the very least, the college PI rule should be adopted immediately.

Could you imagine if PI rule was done away with, you would take the passing game back 40 yrs in evolution. The rule is not clear and the interpretations can go either way right now, but doing away with it would be even scarier. I like the college PI rule, as well.

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by LoboesWT
Could you imagine if PI rule was done away with, you would take the passing game back 40 yrs in evolution. The rule is not clear and the interpretations can go either way right now, but doing away with it would be even scarier. I like the college PI rule, as well.

I still maintain that without PI, passing plays would allow athletes to use their athletic skills without fear of a silly rule no one can interpret consistently. The other current rules in place would keep the return to the game of 40 years ago that you fear from happening.

LoboesWT
01-03-2011, 05:07 PM
I still maintain that without PI, passing plays would allow athletes to use their athletic skills without fear of a silly rule no one can interpret consistently. The other current rules in place would keep the return to the game of 40 years ago that you fear from happening.

No fear here, lets get rid of face masks and see who the real men are anyway.:D

Txbroadcaster
01-03-2011, 05:11 PM

If there was no PI, the defender would just tackle the WR with the ball in the air

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
If there was no PI, the defender would just tackle the WR with the ball in the air

Nope---if the receiver is not in possesion of the ball, that is covered by the holding penalty.

coach
01-03-2011, 05:15 PM
Nope---if the receiver is not in possesion of the ball, that is covered by the holding penalty.

ok so they can hit them with a forearm or shouledr pad....you can tackle without holding

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 05:19 PM
ok so they can hit them with a forearm or shouledr pad....you can tackle without holding

Only if they can catch him or have him not get away by pushing off, coach--both can use ALL their athletic skills.

Txbroadcaster
01-03-2011, 05:19 PM

So your saying they should be able to make a play, but cant have contact with the WR?

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 05:25 PM
So your saying they should be able to make a play, but cant have contact with the WR?

The defender may have all the contact he wants not prohibited by current rules---neither player can "grab" the other.

coach
01-03-2011, 05:47 PM
The defender may have all the contact he wants not prohibited by current rules---neither player can "grab" the other.

so on a crossing route ray lewis can know the holy hell outta someone while the ball is in the air?

Txbroadcaster
01-03-2011, 05:47 PM

ur basically talking about PI then..the defender can actually have contact as long as they are going for the ball

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 05:48 PM
so on a crossing route ray lewis can know the holy hell outta someone while the ball is in the air?

see defenseless receiver rule....

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 05:50 PM
ur basically talking about PI then..the defender can actually have contact as long as they are going for the ball

Nope--I'm advocating that each may contact each other all they want within the other existing rules anytime on a route.

Txbroadcaster
01-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Nope--I'm advocating that each may contact each other all they want within the other existing rules anytime on a route.

But ur actually making the rule harder to judge..your saying it is ok to have contact but cannot hold..your going to be asking the offical to decide even more IMO

Bullaholic
01-03-2011, 05:58 PM
But ur actually making the rule harder to judge..your saying it is ok to have contact but cannot hold..your going to be asking the offical to decide even more IMO

Go find Farmer, TXB---:D

I'm going to get Grant to swap toothbrushes with you if you don't stop....:D

coach
01-03-2011, 05:59 PM
another bad rule is the 10 second runoff rule